Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: A Second Prodigy and the Hottest Tips for Pouty Lips

Bort
  • Start Topic

Sheldon finds himself at odds with Paige once again when she considers enrolling at East Texas Tech. Mary seeks June's advice when looking for a change.

Airdate: 29 April 2021

Please, no discussing spoilers from The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet

lol...fetal Missy and Sheldon fighting in the womb was too funny. Poor Mary.

"Why would you want two of me? I've heard even one of me is a lot to handle."

It bothers me that the university president keeps putting all this stuff on Sheldon. It's not his job to recruit students. Or donors.

Sassy magazine!

"Good thing I look spiffy in a mustache." 😄

Man, I wanted to see Mary's hair!

• Love 19

Paige may be special, but she’s also turning out to be a special kind of mean. She had me going there when she convinced Sheldon she crushed him back, just to toy with his emotions and cluelessness. 

• Love 19

I loved that Reba had such a big part in our 15-17 minute show!  Where was Annie Potts, I wonder.  

Spoiler

We are seeing where Sheldon gets his snobbishness about universities that anyone else would consider top tier.  If someone he knows goes there then it can't be good!  I'd love a voice over eventually that talks about what happens to Paige.

I also really like that once again George's fellow coach isn't letting him get away with his dumb crap and calls him out on his attitude towards Mary.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 20
40 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I also really like that once again George's fellow coach isn't letting him get away with his dumb crap and calls him out on his attitude towards Mary.

Their relationship issues are starting to weigh this show down - at least it is for me - and I don't like it!!  

• Love 14
1 hour ago, aqusdealer said:

Paige may be special, but she’s also turning out to be a special kind of mean.

She's channeling her 'Bad Seed' role!   ;) 

Edited by ChitChat
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, AzureOwl said:

Damn that kid is a chameleon!

I wish this episode had aired last week, before I saw her in the season premiere of The Handmaid's Tale. I'm still reeling from that.

It didn't make sense for Sheldon to be surprised that Paige would rather go to Harvard or Columbia. He *knows* East Texas Tech is not an elite university. He's there because his parents didn't want him to leave home, so that's the only way he's able to go to college at age 11 (and deep down he also knows that he's not ready to be away from home).

I also really wanted to see Mary's new haircut at the end! At least they're not leaving it as a "cliffhanger" for next season.

• Love 4

Can't you just be annoyed by someone, without it being some twisted form of lust? I haven't seen any evidence that Sheldon wants to be around Paige, that he thinks about her when she's not being forced on him, or that they enjoy each others company in any way. 

I was impressed by how well he took the fake mustache. 

Really wanted to see Mary's hair.

The contrast between Mary and George vs the other coach and his wife is really stark. I honestly never noticed before that they don't even seem to like each other or have ANY relationship other than sharing the house and divvying up childcare, but it's really true. Sad.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Can't you just be annoyed by someone, without it being some twisted form of lust? I haven't seen any evidence that Sheldon wants to be around Paige, that he thinks about her when she's not being forced on him, or that they enjoy each others company in any way. 

I kinda think Missy was messing with him, too, with the quiz, knowing he would overthink it and take it too literally.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

George really has no relationship skills whatsoever when it comes to Mary.  He ought to know better than anyone that Mary is wound up like a tight ball of nerves, and to see her happily doing something she likes should bring him great joy. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Paige may be special, but she’s also turning out to be a special kind of mean. She had me going there when she convinced Sheldon she crushed him back, just to toy with his emotions and cluelessness. 

Paige is always playing Sheldon.  Sheldon cared more that he didn't have a crush on Paige, and vice versa, than walking around campus for a couple of hours with a Sharpie moustache.

• Love 1

Good episode!

• Even Mary’s fantasies are about pleasing her family.
  • Georgie’s a good egg. Looking out for Sheldon and Missy, and not passing judgement on Mary even when he doesn’t understand.
  • June’s yet another great character add. I wonder if Reba’s looking for a new tv show — she’d be a good candidate for a spin-off, and we could get the Geezer bus people and the school librarian back! Maybe Brenda Sparks can go to work for June and then Reba and Melissa Peterman can work together again!
  • I’ve never cared for Paige. Sheldon is unintentionally hurtful. Paige relishes it. I’d be ok if this were the end of her storyline.
  • Love 16
7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It didn't make sense for Sheldon to be surprised that Paige would rather go to Harvard or Columbia. He *knows* East Texas Tech is not an elite university.

Sheldon has probably convinced himself that's it the best school around because he's there, and that should be reason enough for Paige to attend!

A note to Chuck Lorre:  Please don't run this show off the rails because you feel as if you have to stick to a particular storyline.  That show is over!  I think it would be possible to let this show stand on it's own in some respects.  Please don't ruin it by bogging it down in a marital spat.  A little bickering is okay, but please quit making George out to be the biggest jerk on the planet.   Some us of just want a little respite from the world and need some laughs, not angst!!  

• Love 23
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I kinda think Missy was messing with him, too, with the quiz, knowing he would overthink it and take it too literally.

I don't think so.  Missy's at her boy crazy stage.  And much as she does sometimes intentionally drive Sheldon crazy and try to get him in trouble, she does actually love him.  We've seen that time and again.  I think she thought it would be cool if her brother and friend got together because she genuinely likes both of them.

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Can't you just be annoyed by someone, without it being some twisted form of lust?

I've never really equated pre-teen crush with "twisted form of lust."

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

George really has no relationship skills whatsoever when it comes to Mary.  He ought to know better than anyone that Mary is wound up like a tight ball of nerves, and to see her happily doing something she likes should bring him great joy. 

You'd think he'd have been happy she was doing something that didn't involve the church!  I was also not impressed that he was angry about the cost of her sewing materials considering he has a running tab at the beer store and whenever we see him socializing it's in a bar.  He really isn't in a position to criticize what Mary spends her money on!

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Kiddvideo said:

I’ve never cared for Paige. Sheldon is unintentionally hurtful. Paige relishes it. I’d be ok if this were the end of her storyline.

That's the big difference to me.  Sheldon is self involved and can be hurtful, no question, but hurting another person isn't the goal of his actions or words.  With Paige they're showing her as actually being quite cruel. 

Spoiler

Made me think the BBT comment about Sheldon,  "He's one lab accident away from being a super villain" might be better applied to Paige!

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I agree.  She played up every answer he gave so as to sound like he had a crush on Paige.  "Do you dream about the other person?"   I believe that Sheldon replied that he had a nightmare about her, so that counted as a dream to him!  Missy knows how to push all of his buttons!

• Love 3

Of course Missy and Sheldon were fighting from within the womb. Mary must have known right away what she was in for with them. I wonder how long the marital problems between Mary and George are going to last? Both of them seem unhappy and unfulfilled, they really need to talk about this stuff, even if its uncomfortable. 

I really wanted to see Mary's hair, especially if it means more time hanging with Reba. You can really tell she's a real sitcom veteran, she has great comedic timing. "I got a perm and a divorce in the same weekend and I only regretted one." 

I knew Paige was messing with Sheldon as soon as she said she had a crush on him. I wonder if we will find out what Paige is up to now? 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Please don't run this show off the rails because you feel as if you have to stick to a particular storyline.  That show is over!  I think it would be possible to let this show stand on it's own in some respects. 

I'm reminded of Frasier. In Cheers, Frasier said his father was dead. They did do some retconning to make that work but of course the timeline here makes that difficult

• Love 2
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Really wanted to see Mary's hair.

26 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Also re: Mary's hair. I have straight hair. in the 80s, I had a Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction perm. I'm betting Mary will have something like that

From the previews-it looks like Mary’s hair is exactly the same

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Please don't run this show off the rails because you feel as if you have to stick to a particular storyline.  That show is over!  I think it would be possible to let this show stand on it's own in some respects.  Please don't ruin it by bogging it down in a marital spat.  A little bickering is okay, but please quit making George out to be the biggest jerk on the planet.   Some us of just want a little respite from the world and need some laughs, not angst!!  

I don't know where they're headed but I do know that the show isn't going anywhere. I just read it was renewed for a 5th, 6th AND 7th season.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Some of you are really riding the edge of BBT spoilers (and some went over it and the post was removed), either take it to the BBT comparison topic or let it go.

1 hour ago, mammaM said:

I don't know where they're headed but I do know that the show isn't going anywhere. I just read it was renewed for a 5th, 6th AND 7th season.

By the end of the show they will have to call this show Thirty Something Sheldon. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, mammaM said:

Wait, what?  So if my math is right that means the twins will be (9+7=) 16 at some point in that 7th season. 

Spoiler

which means if they follow the BBT timeline we will have at least 2 years with Mary a widow and the kids fatherless.  Well that sucks.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

June’s yet another great character add. I wonder if Reba’s looking for a new tv show — she’d be a good candidate for a spin-off, and we could get the Geezer bus people and the school librarian back! Maybe Brenda Sparks can go to work for June and then Reba and Melissa Peterman can work together again!

Having another grown woman aside from Mee-Maw for Mary to talk to on a regular basis has been a fantastic addition to the show. For some reason, I really like the idea of Brenda driving the Geezer Bus. I have no idea why I think it works well, but it appeals to me. 

7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't think so.  Missy's at her boy crazy stage.  And much as she does sometimes intentionally drive Sheldon crazy and try to get him in trouble, she does actually love him.  We've seen that time and again.  I think she thought it would be cool if her brother and friend got together because she genuinely likes both of them.

I've never really equated pre-teen crush with "twisted form of lust."

Agreed. Missy may not understand her brother or get along with him, but she does love him and will try to help him when she came. Relationships are her speciality, so jumped at the opportunity to help her brother with one of his. Plus, it's her brother sort of acting like a normal person their age. 

It's totally a pre-teen crush. Paige and Sheldon may have feelings for each other, but don't quite understand them or how to express them. 

• Love 1

Now that I've seen the actress as the fourteen year old Mrs Keyes in The Handmaid's Tale I will never be able to look at Paige the same way again. I kept thinking 'don't turn your back on her Sheldon'. 

I don't think Mary and George are having marital problems at all. I think that Mary has convinced herself that she has a problem after Brenda and MeeMaw talked her into it at the girls' night they had a few episodes back. I believe George is completely oblivious and would be shocked to discover what has Mary all upset and worried. I think George thinks they are just fine.

This was the first episode all season that I didn't feel like I was watching a spoiled brat strut through the TV screen at me. Probably because he was playing off Missy and Paige primarily and the Administrator was so obviously mocking his cluelessness about her manipulation of him.  It was a pleasant relief. This season has been mostly unfunny to me. And I need more Missy.

• Love 2

Lest we forget, Georgie was the reason George and Mary got married. That's not generally a solid foundation.

IMHO, this show has generated more amateur character analysis, at least in this forum, than any other show in the history of television. 😁 Now pardon me while I step out to get more pens and note pads.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I really like Reba's character as a sounding-board for Mary (other than Meemaw). 

I wonder what happened to Georgie's original crush - the religious blonde girl? 

Paige looked a lot older than Sheldon in those scenes. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LisaM said:

Paige looked a lot older than Sheldon in those scenes. 

I also thought Missy (just her face - not her height) seemed a lot older and more mature than Sheldon.  Paige and Missy seemed right for their age, but Sheldon looked very 'childish' to me.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, freeser said:

Paige and Missy seemed right for their age, but Sheldon looked very 'childish' to me.  

It sounded like Missy's voice has even changed a bit.  They're growing up too quickly!  

10 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I believe George is completely oblivious and would be shocked to discover what has Mary all upset and worried. I think George thinks they are just fine.

He just seems so melancholy all of the time.  It's a little depressing.  He and Mary's relationship seems fairly typical to me as far as their interactions go.  The other coach's marriage always sounds too good to be true though!  I don't know of many couples where the husband is that attentive and giving.  ;)  

• Love 2

I don't think it's unrealistic to be oblivious and to be hurtful and that's exactly what George is being,  and this is not the first episode this has happened in.  I agree that he would be shocked if someone told him Mary was unhappy or worried about their relationship.  That doesn't make her worry less valid.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I don't think it's unrealistic to be oblivious and to be hurtful and that's exactly what George is being,  and this is not the first episode this has happened in.  I agree that he would be shocked if someone told him Mary was unhappy or worried about their relationship.  That doesn't make her worry less valid.  

I think that with a lot of couples, life gets so busy and crazy that the marriage gets put on cruise control, and later on they realize that they've drifted apart.  They need some professional counseling and some time together away from the kids.  George is like a lot of men though, in that he can't/doesn't express his feelings.  It's not an excuse, just an observation.  They both need things that they're not getting from each other, and it's going to take more than George's co-worker pointing it out to make it better.  They need help!!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, freeser said:

I also thought Missy (just her face - not her height) seemed a lot older and more mature than Sheldon.  Paige and Missy seemed right for their age, but Sheldon looked very 'childish' to me.  

Very true. I can't remember which episode it was, but in one of the voice-overs Sheldon mentions he was a late bloomer, so Sheldon still looking childish while the girls his age start to develop seems in keeping with what was already established. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
49 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

ery true. I can't remember which episode it was, but in one of the voice-overs Sheldon mentions he was a late bloomer, so Sheldon still looking childish while the girls his age start to develop seems in keeping with what was already established. 

I don't need to look any further than my high school yearbook to confirm that generally girls mature faster than boys.  In my grade 11 graduating class there were lots of boys who could easily have passed for 12 - and lots of girls who could have passed for university students.  Eventually it evens out.

• Love 5

I love this show, but it's a sitcom and they already have the sadness of the neighbors divorcing and the more matter-of-fact divorce of Reba and Coach [I'm so bad with names].  We don't need our main family going through divorce, too.  George isn't a bad person, seems to love his children and want to be in their lives.  I want him to be happy with Mary, too.  Please don't make this a very special afternoon special. 

[showing my age?]

I, also, don't get the problem with the kids' heights.  Kids mature differently and some grow taller than others.  Even brothers and sisters.  I have a friend at 5'11" that is taller than her 5'10" brother.  Big deal.  And it's just my impression, but it doesn't look like Georgie is very tall.  Missy might end up taller than him.  Hey, big surprise:  people are different.

If the show has been renewed for a few more years, I wonder if Jim Parsons will continue to do the voiceovers.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Johann said:

If the show has been renewed for a few more years, I wonder if Jim Parsons will continue to do the voiceovers.

I don’t see why he wouldn’t. He is also a producer of the show.

• Love 2

OK, I loved the Principal getting one over on Sheldon. It’s still a dumb idea using Sheldon as PR (even if it worked out last time) – she knows what he’s like. But Sitcoms gotta Sitcom.

If I was George, I would absolutely expect a trap when Mary asked how she looked.

The June/Mary interaction was new & welcome. Loved her commenting that she out to charge by the hour when Mary walked out without a new haircut. At least she got her sale in the end.

On 5/1/2021 at 3:29 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

I don't think it's unrealistic to be oblivious and to be hurtful and that's exactly what George is being,  and this is not the first episode this has happened in.

I think it seems entirely in character (and not uncommon IRL). Though commenting on his wife's reckless spending when he was in a bar did show a stunning lack of self awareness.