Type keyword(s) to search

Our Kind of News and Media

• Start Topic

This sounds really interesting.

OUR KIND OF PEOPLE
Inspired by Lawrence Otis Graham's provocative, critically acclaimed book, "Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class," the series takes place in the aspirational world of Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard, a historical stronghold where the rich and powerful black elite have come to play for over 50 years.

OUR KIND OF PEOPLE follows strong-willed, single mom ANGELA VAUGHN (Yaya DaCosta, "Chicago Med," "Whitney") as she sets out to reclaim her family's name and make an impact with her revolutionary haircare line that highlights the innate, natural beauty of black women. But she soon discovers a dark secret about her own mother's past that will turn her world upside-down and shake up this community forever.

The show is a soapy, thrilling exploration of race and class in America and an unapologetic celebration of black resilience and achievement.

OUR KIND OF PEOPLE is produced by 20th Television and FOX Entertainment. The project is written and executive-produced by Karin Gist. Lee Daniels and Marc Velez (Lee Daniels Entertainment); Pam Williams and Claire Brown (The Gist Of It Productions); Ben Silverman and Drew Buckley (Propagate); and Montrel McKay also serve as executive producers.

PRODUCTION COMPANIES: 20th Television, FOX Entertainment
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER/WRITER: Karin Gist
EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Lee Daniels, Marc Velez, Pam Williams, Claire Brown, Ben Silverman, Howard Owens, Drew Buckley, Montrel McKay
CAST: Yaya DaCosta as Angela Vaughn, Morris Chestnut as Raymond DuPont

9 hours ago, DanaK said:

This looks so intriguing yet so possibly soapy. I hope the soapiness doesn't overtake the importance of telling this kind of story

Yeah, I'm not so much into soaps, but this looks interesting otherwise.

from Primetimer: 'FOX’s Our Kind of People Reveals America’s Black Upper Class'

Interview with Yaya DaCosta at BET.com: 'Yaya DaCosta On Embracing Her "Crown" As The Star Of Fox's 'Our Kind Of People''

BET.com: Can you break down Angela Vaughn in your own words?

DaCosta: Angela Vaughn is a go-getter; she's driven, passionate, fun, witty, strong, and very tender and searching. She is searching for answers and for a clear vision of her past. She knows where she wants to go, and she doesn't know exactly what it will look like—searching for acceptance and love. She's also searching for forgiveness from her daughter for not being as hands-on as she would have liked. There are a lot of themes that will be addressed in this show, and Angela is a catalyst for a lot of them, but all in all, she's a really sensitive woman with huge dreams and lots of determination.

'Karin Gist On The Universality Of Her New Show, ‘Our Kind Of People’'

Besides the pandemic obviously being a hurdle, what would you say were some of the challenges you faced with being the writer and executive producer of this series?

Just trying to make sure I was telling the stories that felt grounded, authentic, and different. I don’t know if you’ve seen the pilot, but there are lots of generations in the world. So, I wanted to just make sure I had a different point of view for each character and each generation. Building out a world is like making a patchwork quilt. So, you want to make sure each square stands on its own and is beautiful, but that it all works together. So, just keeping a balance of that was really a challenge – and it’s still a challenge – because there we have a lot of characters, and there’s a lot that I like to cover.

I also really like to like stories that have different levels and layers to them. And so just kind of balancing all those balls in the air, and still trying to make sure it was saying something that mattered to me, but still entertaining. There were a lot of balls in the air I had to juggle and I’m still trying to juggle.

So, the challenge is trying to make sure that what I set out to do is what’s coming through on the page and finding the uniqueness. For example, Angela’s character and how that’s different from Leah’s character. One of the things I’ve always wanted the show to do, I didn’t want to vilify any group or social class. The show is really about bringing people together in a way that’s a delicious soapy network drama, so you got to have conflict and all that stuff, but I wanted it to be for people; even if you have money or don’t have money, you see yourself on either side of a class divide and the audience can see themselves in these characters in the women and the men.

Preliminary ratings for the first episode: 0.3 in the 18-49 demo and 1.62 million viewers, 4th of 5 in its timeslot. Not a good start. Fox is not having a great start for its new shows this premiere week

• Useful 1

Our Kind of People Paleyfest Fall Preview panel; this was taped in August, but the publicly available video was posted last week:

...Stars and creatives of FOX's Our Kind of People (Morris Chestnut, Yaya DaCosta, Nadine Ellis, Karin Gist, and Joe Morton) gather on August 24, 2021, with moderator Charisma Deberry at PaleyFest Fall TV Previews 2021 to celebrate their show.

Topics include: how the show is breaking new ground by focusing on America's black upper class; DaCosta's (Angela Vaughn) belief that her first time as a show's lead mirrors her character's self-discovery; Chestnut's (Raymond Dupont) journey from starring in 1991's drama about gang culture, "Boyz n the Hood," to currently playing a member of the black elite; Morton's (Teddy Franklin) long history with Martha's Vineyard and his reaction to the story's setting in Oak Bluffs; the mandate for the series to showcase different looks for black women and not focus on European aesthetics; and why the show is being shot in Wilmington, North Carolina, rather than Oak Bluffs.

FOX's "Our Kind of People" Becomes First Fall Broadcast Drama to Post Week-to-Week Growth in Six Years

Episode two of FOX's new drama OUR KIND OF PEOPLE grew +20% from its series premiere among Adults 18-49 in Live + 7 Day ratings, marking the first new Fall broadcast drama to grow from debut in six years.

OUR KIND OF PEOPLE ranks as this season's #1 broadcast entertainment series in Black Adults 18-49 (FOX's 9-1-1 ranks #2 in the demo). In week two, OUR KIND OF PEOPLE (2.8/18 L7) grew +33% vs. its debut among Black Adults 18-49 and delivered broadcast's highest-rated entertainment telecast in the demo in over six months (since The Grammys, 3/14/21).

At TVLine: 'Fall TV Freshman Report Card: Here Are 20 Ways to Improve 11 New Shows'

OUR KIND OF PEOPLE (Tuesdays on Fox)

WHAT WORKS: Creator/showrunner Karen Gist and EP Lee Daniels do a great job of giving audiences loads of drama, greats clothes, hairstyles and pretty people behaving badly. The cast, which includes Joe Morton, Nadine Ellis, Debbi Morgan and Yaya DaCosta, is also stellar. Edifying more people about Martha’s Vineyard’s Black one-percenters is also noteworthy.

WHAT NEEDS WORK: The storylines and dialogue are disjointed and at times nonsensical. Each episode is overstuffed with details and backstories and all the characters seem to do is go to parties. How does DaCosta’s Angela have time to do hair, make product, raise her child and fix an old firehouse if all she does is hobnob and fight with her half-sister Leah?

A short season: from Deadline:

Fox just released its midseason schedule, and it does not include the network’s new fall 2020 scripted series, dramas The Big Leap and Our Kind of People. The Big Leap will end its freshman run of 11 episodes, while Our Kind Of People’s first season consists of 12 episodes.

Sources indicate that both The Big Leap, starring Scott Foley and Simone Recasner, and Our Kind of People, headlined by Yaya DaCosta, had been designed for shorter runs, which explains the lack of back orders. Fox is expected to make a decision on the series’ future in the spring.

Interview with showrunner Karen Gist at Deadline:

GIST: I always planned for Season 1 to be an introduction to the family and to keep it going, so I didn’t want to end the season as if I was ending the series. I did want to make sure that we answered some of those questions that were raised in the pilot in terms of what happened to Eve and how that affected Angela. But I always wanted to tickle a little bit of something for the future.

Not surprised, because it wasn't very good, but this is the 5th show I watched that has been cancelled. I don't know if that says more about the shows or my taste LOL

• LOL 1