Type keyword(s) to search

Never Say Never: in the Media

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

^^^ Teaser already posted above...

Joss Whedon's The Nevers: Watch a Teaser for HBO's Victorian Sci-Fi Drama
By Matt Webb Mitovich / February 2 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/02/02/joss-whedon-the-nevers-teaser-photos-hbo/ 

The time is right now for The Nevers — that is, if you want to watch a teaser and see first photos for Joss Whedon’s long-gestating Victorian sci-fi drama for HBO.

Set to debut this April on HBO as well as stream on HBO Max, the six-episode series is set in the last years of Victoria’s reign, as London is beset by the “Touched”: people, mostly women, who suddenly manifest abnormal abilities — some charming, some very disturbing.

Among the Touched are Amalia True (played by Outlander‘s Laura Donnelly), a mysterious, quick-fisted widow, and Penance Adair (Red Rock‘s Ann Skelly), a brilliant young inventor. “They are the champions of this new underclass,” reads the synopsis, “making a home for the Touched, while fighting the forces of… well, pretty much all the forces – to make room for those whom history as we know it has no place.”
The Nevers‘ cast also includes Olivia Williams (Dollhouse), James Norton (Grantchester), Tom Riley (Da Vinci’s Demons), Rochelle Neil (TV’s Das Boot), Eleanor Tomlinson (Poldark), Amy Manson (Once Upon a Time), Pip Torrens (The Crown), Denis O’Hare (American Horror Story), Zackary Momoh (Seven Seconds), Elizabeth Berrington (Sanditon), Kiran Sawar (Pure), Anna Devlin, Viola Prettejohn, Ella Smith (Babylon), Nick Frost (Into the Badlands) and Ben Chaplin (The Letter for the King).

Whedon — who stepped away from the day-to-day of the project back in November, saying he was “genuinely exhausted” — created the series and executive-produced it with Bernadette Caulfield, Ilene S. Landress, Doug Petrie, Jane Espenson and Philippa Goslett (who will serve as the new showrunner).

NVRS_105_KB_030420_KB112.jpg

ann-skelly.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

The Nevers Character Posters Intro HBO Series' Major Power Brokers

Do not click on the link because it gives you the title and synopsis of all 6 episodes of Season 1.

In 'The Nevers,' Victorian London is rocked to its foundations by a supernatural event that gives certain people — mostly women — abnormal abilities, from the wondrous to the disturbing. But no matter their particular "turns," all who belong to this new underclass are in grave danger. It falls to mysterious, quick-fisted widow Amalia True (Laura Donnelly) and brilliant young inventor Penance Adair (Ann Skelly) to protect and shelter these gifted "orphans." To do so, they will have to face the brutal forces determined to annihilate their kind.

The posters focuses on the six of our main characters. I was guessing at who is who so I might be wrong.

Amalia True (Laura Donnelly)

168034386_484487029654917_46362952635472

Penance Adair (Ann Skelly)

168070242_484487062988247_31314159066583

Mary Brighton (Eleanor Tomlinson)

168403016_484487092988244_26802707799271

Harriet Kaur (Kiran Sonia Sawar)

168040849_484487076321579_67961974581266

George Thorns (Brett Curtis)

168666191_484487072988246_41071943895429

Lavinia Bidlow (Olivia Williams)

168013389_484487089654911_52739683795673

unnamed-27-2.jpg

• Useful 1
On 11/26/2020 at 3:11 AM, BetterButter said:

Interesting reading the comments on that article from back then. Guess the rumours were already brewing (and HBO probably already knew what was going to come and fired his ass) but the commenters still dismiss it.

Also makes this comment by Whedon really funny: "I am genuinely exhausted, and am stepping back to martial my energy towards my own life, which is also at the brink of exciting change." I mean, exciting for sure but not in the sense you'd usually use that word...

• Love 1
(edited)

As expected Miss Banner came through:

Even if you're not into fashion history and period costume this is highly entertaining and points out details you might have missed. I certainly missed a lot of things she points out about Maladie's fashion choices. And the stuff at the end about walking upstairs is such a fantastic detail, and something I'm going to train now as I like wearing long skirts and coats and dread stairs when doing so.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2
On 5/9/2021 at 9:08 AM, MissLucas said:

the stuff at the end about walking upstairs is such a fantastic detail

That was a fantastic video and now I am feeling all kinds of smug because I  actually noticed the pronounced swagger that Laura Donnelly used to walk up those stairs and I wondered about it.  NOW I understand that she was doing what is necessary to walk up stairs in a long skirt without using your hands (or tripping).

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

The-Never-Cover-Art.jpeg?resize=1087,153

Own The Nevers: Season 1 Part 1 for $24.98 SRP ($29.98 SRP Canada) for the DVD and $29.98 SRP (39.99 SRP Canada) for the Blu-ray, which includes Digital Copy (US Only). Digital allows consumers to instantly stream and download all episodes to watch anywhere and anytime on their favorite devices. Digital is available from various retailers including Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play, Vudu, Xbox and others. Release date: October 5, 2021.

The set includes: Six One-Hour Episodes on 2 discs.

Over two hours of Bonus Material:

A Touch of Power: The Themes Behind The Nevers (Blu-rayTM/DVD only)

Accustomed to the Impossible: The Making of The Nevers (Blu-rayTM/DVD only)

Introducing The Nevers (Featurette)

A New Age of Power (Featurette)

Character Portrait: Amalia True (Featurette)

Character Portrait: Penance Adair (Featurette)

Character Portrait: Mary Brighton (Featurette)

Character Portrait: Annie Bonfire (Featurette)

Creating The Nevers: A Night at the Opera (Featurette)

Creating The Nevers: A Charitable Event (Featurette)

Creating The Nevers: Walking on Water (Featurette)

Character Portrait: Detective Frank Mundi (Featurette)

Character Portrait: Augie Bidlow & Hugo Swann (Featurette)

Villains of The Nevers (Featurette)

Creating The Nevers: Confrontation and Translation (Featurette)

Creating The Nevers: Shock and Awe (Featurette)

Creating The Nevers: Telling Time (Featurette)

The Craft: Editor, Lisa Lassek (Featurette)

The Craft: VFX Supervisor, Johnny Han (Featurette)

The Craft: Director, Zetna Fuentes (Featurette)

• Useful 2

So they started filming season 1B or Season 1 Part 2 in late June.

But HBO Max is running promos for the series they plan to premier in 2022 and I don't think I saw The Nevers on that list.

Instead I think they have some other series, The Gilded Age, which is set in the same time period but in America.

• Love 1

Just heard.  Another victim of the Warner Brothers/Discovery merger, I see.  Too bad since I at least wanted to see where they were going with this season.

Hopefully the cast and everyone else will move on other other things (and hopefully somewhere that currently doesn't feel like its going through a fire sale at the moment...)

9 minutes ago, DanaK said:

They are even removing Westworld that was just canceled after 4 seasons. In what world does that make sense?

They’re removing the shows so they don’t have to pay residuals.

Just now, kariyaki said:

They’re removing the shows so they don’t have to pay residuals.

Yeah, the Deadline suggests end of the year financial stuff. They earlier canceled Batgirl and removed other things from the service as part of tax write offs from the merger but had a deadline to get it done. But Deadline suggests The Nevers Season 1B, and Westworld, can show up elsewhere in the company, like a FAST service (ad-supported), which seems to belie not wanting to pay residuals

• Love 1
Just now, DanaK said:

Yeah, the Deadline suggests end of the year financial stuff. They earlier canceled Batgirl and removed other things from the service as part of tax write offs from the merger but had a deadline to get it done. But Deadline suggests The Nevers Season 1B, and Westworld, can show up elsewhere in the company, like a FAST service (ad-supported), which seems to belie not wanting to pay residuals

They suggest that but if they're trying to create a write-off situation, then it won't happen. If they don't want to make money off it, they can't sell it, that's how it went with the DC stuff that got killed. Taking it down ASAP still keeps them from paying residuals at the moment. If they're not doing a tax write-off and move it to an ad-supported service, then that's likely a different department, different books and residuals get paid out of there.

3 hours ago, aghst said:

Who was the show runner to take over from Wheadon?

Be curious how far they got with writing scripts, pre-production.  Or did they have the shooting schedule already?

The entire thing was done, the Actors mentioned that they thought the show would air some time in December.

• Thanks 1

Well here's hoping the back half shows up on streaming. I thought the cancellation of Firefly was cruel but at least we got a full season out of it! I really dislike the idea that there are episodes of a show filmed and ready to go but I'll never be able to see them because of merger shenanigans.

• Applause 2
21 hours ago, aghst said:

Boycott all those Discovery +shows.

I don't watch them anyway.

Let's just say while I hope I can see some sort of natural end to the season, The Nevers isn't something that's so fabulous, so great, I'd feel greatly deprived without. It's not Firefly by any means.

Edited by StarBrand

That's so annoying. Both shows were still on my app when I checked earlier. I wanted to finish both. I also have no interest in Discovery.

One of the actresses from The Nevers, said the second half is supposed to show up on a free streaming service, at some point. 

• Love 1

So now the thinking is, a lot of these former HBO and Max shows would end up on a free, ad-supported service or FAST.

Some of it could be run by WBD themselves or they could license it to some third party.

So you wouldn't pay money but you of course would pay in time watching ads.

• Love 1

I don't know if I'll even bother with 1B if it ever shows up anywhere.  It's been too long since we watched 1A and I don't remember it being all that groundbreaking.  It was fun, but not that special.  Maybe Laura can go back to Outlander now.

Gone now.  I downloaded copies of 1A and will do so for the 2nd half wherever it lands. I will not watch it on some free ad riddled service.

And if they have ads, wouldn't that mean the content will be edited? Since it will no longer be a subscription service with those protections?

All 12 episodes of The Nevers are going to air for free (ad-supported) on Tubi and Roku at some point. It is still early and more details will be arriving soon. Other HBO show that will also be airing for free include: Westworld, Raised by Wolves, The Time Traveler’s Wife, Finding Magic Mike, Head of the Class, Legendary and F-Boy Island.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

All 12 episodes of The Nevers are going to air for free (ad-supported) on Tubi and Roku at some point. It is still early and more details will be arriving soon. Other HBO show that will also be airing for free include: Westworld, Raised by Wolves, The Time Traveler’s Wife, Finding Magic Mike, Head of the Class, Legendary and F-Boy Island.

Roku is targeting Spring 2023 and Tubi will start rolling things out in February https://tvline.com/2023/01/31/cancelled-westworld-the-nevers-streaming-roku-tubi-release-dates/

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The Nevers: Get Release Dates for All 12 Episodes on Tubi, Including 6 New Ones — Plus, Scoop on What's Ahead!

All episodes have to be watched live on Tubi’s WB TV Watchlist Channel, if you miss any of the episodes, the next time they will be shown again is March 1 through March 3.

All times are Eastern

THE NEVERS: Monday, Feb. 13 on Tubi’s WB TV Watchlist Channel

12:39 pm ET The Nevers Ep 101 “Pilot” TV-MA

1:48 pm The Nevers Ep 102 “Exposure” TV-MA

2:53 pm The Nevers Ep 103 “Ignition” TV-MA

3:52 pm The Nevers Ep 104 “Undertaking” TV-MA

4:52 pm The Nevers Ep 105 “Hanged” TV-MA

THE NEVERS: Tuesday, Feb. 14 on  Tubi’s WB TV Watchlist Channel

1:28 pm ET The Nevers Ep 106 “True” TV-MA

2:38 pm The Nevers Ep 107 “It’s a Good Day” TV-MA

3:46 pm The Nevers Ep 108 “I Don’t Know Enough About You” TV-MA

4:47 pm The Nevers Ep 109 “Fever” TV-MA

THE NEVERS: Wednesday, Feb. 15 on  Tubi’s WB TV Watchlist Channel

2:40 pm The Nevers Ep 110 “Alright, Okay, You Win” TV-MA

3:45 pm The Nevers Ep 111 “Ain’t We Got Fun” TV-MA

4:50 pm The Nevers Ep 112 “I’ll Be Seeing You” TV-MA

• Like 3
On 2/11/2023 at 9:06 AM, Hanahope said:

well that sucks for people who like have jobs in the middle of the day.

Frankly, it just sucks period. It's like someone was nostalgic for the days before even VCRs existed.

"You will watch when we say you will watch and LIKE IT!"

How many viewers are they even going to get?

• Like 5