Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E17: Real Life Starts Now (Countdown to Decision Day)

• Start Topic

Thanks - a good one to miss. It sounds like another filler like they did that mid-show one with Kevin Frazier and a bunch of people nobody knew or cared about giving their opinions. Wow, they are sure dragging this painful mess out way too long.

• Love 8
(edited)

Will the last one to leave please turn off the lights and make sure you set Blink?

Appreciate you...

Waiting with bated breath for Decision Day next week...um, no....🙄

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

While I think this episode was unnecessary I didn’t mind these three couples. For once Jamie and Elizabeth didn’t annoy me, especially her take on Virginia’s drinking.  The wives were all pretty stunning tonight.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

I kind of like how Elizabeth was blunt with her opinions even though she made the rest of them cringe at times.  She was absolutely spot on about Virginia.  I think the rest of them didn't want to say anything remotely negative about Virginia because they like her, but I don't think Elizabeth was being mean because it's like the 800 pound gorilla in the room already.

And yes to Elizabeth being a better choice for "Unfiltered". 

And how about that spoiler for decision day re: Paige and Chris?  WTF? 

Now Chris says he doesn't want to make a decision?  Uggh, poor Paige.  But she may be on board with that.  I'm with Woody, the two of them make absolutely zero sense.  Then too the show may be messing with us yet again with the misleading promos.

• Love 7

So this bonus episode turns out to be the episode of the season, go figure.  Three great couples who take full responsibility for their successful  relationships.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

These three couples only see what we see.  I had no interest in hearing their opinions and was out early. But some interesting observations above.  And, of course, I continue to like Jamie O.  ☺️

Another season like this one ...  how could they purposely make so many poor matches?  Didn’t Vincent he particularly asked for a soft match?  Opposite of Briana.  Really, not one couple seems like a match to me.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, endure said:

So this bonus episode turns out to be the episode of the season, go figure.  Three great couples who take full responsibility for their successful  relationships.

Really?  They already on couples cam, why did we need their opinions on these matches?  They don't have any more insight into relationships than we do. And I hated Beth in her season and my opinion hasn't changed. 

A few minutes of this was enough to tell me this was just a filler to spread out the suspense for another week.

• Love 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, Rae Spellman said:

It's still early on the West Coast. But, I'm thinking Beth would be a better Unfiltered host than Jamie Otis. 

I was coming here to add this exact comment!  Beth has a ton more personality than Jamie Otis. 

Although this ep was clearly nothing more than filler, I ended up more entertained than I expected to be.

Edited by suzeecat
additional thought
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, suzeecat said:

Although this ep was clearly nothing more than filler, I ended up more entertained than I expected to be.

Me too.  It was more entertaining than Couples Cam.  It was interesting to hear how the couples echo the opinions here on the board.

• Love 2
(edited)

I skipped this one, and apparently, so did most of the posters on this thread. See you next week!

ETA - I looked for a recap, but I guess they don't review filler eps. What was the consensus? Did anyone think couples would stay together and did they talk about Paige and Chris? Thanks.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

I skipped this one, and apparently, so did most of the posters on this thread. See you next week!

ETA - I looked for a recap, but I guess they don't review filler eps. What was the consensus? Did anyone think couples would stay together and did they talk about Paige and Chris? Thanks.

All I can remember, listening with half an ear, is that Woody thinks Clara and Ryan will stay together.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, cinsays said:

Really?  They already on couples cam, why did we need their opinions on these matches?  They don't have any more insight into relationships than we do. And I hated Beth in her season and my opinion hasn't changed. 

I have the opposite take. Couples Cam bores me to tears and I never thought It'd outlast quarantine. Not only will it apparently be ongoing, but it's also being offered as as a presumable financial carrot for future couples who stay together. How many day dates and prenatal appointments must we watch and why did Lifetime decide that this should be a recurring series? It's essentially a dozen people in their 30s vlogging from their couches.

I actually enjoyed the countdown special more than the actual season. Woody, Amani, Miles and even Beth were hilarious because they brought snark and a little sarcasm without being mean. It made me wish that they'd bring back Couples Couch, but only with those three couples lol. Tbh I'd rather watch an hour of them poking fun at each episode than the actual 2 hour episode itself, which is always bloated and drags.

Woody's exasperation at Jake/Haley having sex and Paige/Chris in general made me laugh out loud.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 9

4 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Woody, Amani, Miles and even Beth were hilarious because they brought snark and a little sarcasm without being mean. It made me wish that they'd bring back Couples Couch, but only with those three couples lol. Tbh I'd rather watch an hour of them poking fun at each episode than the actual 2 hour episode itself, which is always bloated and drags.

Woody's exasperation at Jake/Haley having sex and Paige/Chris in general made me laugh out loud.

These 3 couples have great chemistry together.    I wish they would have used them in the pre and mid season show hosted by Kevin Frazier with the random fan/bloggers who gave their predictions.    

And I agree Beth would make a great Unfiltered host if they ever decide to change from JamieO.     

• Love 8

I didn't know which couples would be on because I knew I wouldn't be watching.  I made the right decision because no way would I ever want to see Woody/Amani and Beth/Jamie again.  Honestly, once they're gone from MAFS I have no desire to see any of the couples again on any show.  I just wish the best for the ones I liked on their MAFS shows.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I actually enjoyed the countdown special more than the actual season. Woody, Amani, Miles and even Beth were hilarious because they brought snark and a little sarcasm without being mean. It made me wish that they'd bring back Couples Couch, but only with those three couples lol. Tbh I'd rather watch an hour of them poking fun at each episode than the actual 2 hour episode itself, which is always bloated and drags.

Agreed. Couple's Cam is boring. Couple's Couch had its moments. Philadelphia Keith was one of my favorites.

Last night's show was absolutely better than many, many other episodes this season. I appreciated getting insight from people who have been on the other side of the camera. They have insights as twenty or thirty somethings who wound up on MAFS after navigating dating in a southern town that others might not have. I was skeptical of Woody for much of his season but found him absolutely delightful last night. Beth was better last night that she was on her season, too. 

• Love 8

Also, Amani, Beth and Karen look gorgeous tonight.

I thought they all looked beautiful too. I often don't like Beth's look but I thought she was stunning last night. I love the deeper shade of red of her hair and her makeup and dress were beautiful too. Whoever is styling her these days is definitely a keeper.

Woody's sense of style makes me laugh. Someone famous (Coco Chanel maybe?) once said that once you are all accessorized for the evening, you should look in the mirror and remove one accessory. Woody should adhere to that principle. I vote for losing the fake diamond choker. But I love his personality and he just owns his style, so I can't fault him.

I have always loved Miles and I give Karen a lot of credit for staying in the marriage and seeing past her original "type." I agree that they don't have the fireworks type of sexual chemistry that a lot of couples have, but I do think that she realized that Miles a salt of the earth, loving and loyal guy who is going to give his all to his wife and (eventual) children. Obviously no one knows what goes on behind closed doors, but I think they could have a very solid and happy marriage. I also adore Woody and Amani and I was one who really thought Woody was along for the ride with his BFF to start with. They seem to have a great time together and really be in tune with one another.

Neither Beth nor Jamie has ever been my cup of tea and they still aren't, but they do seem a little calmer and happier together than I would have anticipated. Good for them.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I thought they all looked beautiful too. I often don't like Beth's look but I thought she was stunning last night. I love the deeper shade of red of her hair and her makeup and dress were beautiful too. Whoever is styling her these days is definitely a keeper.

Woody's sense of style makes me laugh. Someone famous (Coco Chanel maybe?) once said that once you are all accessorized for the evening, you should look in the mirror and remove one accessory. Woody should adhere to that principle. I vote for losing the fake diamond choker. But I love his personality and he just owns his style, so I can't fault him.

I have always loved Miles and I give Karen a lot of credit for staying in the marriage and seeing past her original "type." I agree that they don't have the fireworks type of sexual chemistry that a lot of couples have, but I do think that she realized that Miles a salt of the earth, loving and loyal guy who is going to give his all to his wife and (eventual) children. Obviously no one knows what goes on behind closed doors, but I think they could have a very solid and happy marriage. I also adore Woody and Amani and I was one who really thought Woody was along for the ride with his BFF to start with. They seem to have a great time together and really be in tune with one another.

Neither Beth nor Jamie has ever been my cup of tea and they still aren't, but they do seem a little calmer and happier together than I would have anticipated. Good for them.

I have always thought that Karen liked Miles a lot more than she let on.  It wasn't about the chemistry, I am guessing, it was about her trust issues and the age difference.  I'm really glad they're happy and that they're still friends with Woody and Amani.

• Love 6
On 5/5/2021 at 4:57 PM, Retired at last said:

It looks like tonight is a 1-hour MAFS special and then a bunch of Unmatchables. Not for me. Next week is Decision Day - I will wait for that. I am most looking forward to the Reunion.

I'm reconciling myself to the fact that even the DD choices of the couples AND their status on the reunion show is now fodder for producer intervention.  Not sure what the financial incentives are for the couples to agree to "stay together" but I'd love to know...I don't see any real possibility for ANY of these couples to stay together long term.

It's like the actual show has become a spoof of itself, like SNL...there's no authenticity to it this season.

• Love 1

Just waiting to remove this show from my DVR line-up! This season was a deal breaker. I did like some of THIS episode though... love these couples. They make me smile: smart, honest, mature people whose opinions I value. 

• Love 3
On 5/6/2021 at 9:22 AM, suzeecat said:

I was coming here to add this exact comment!  Beth has a ton more personality than Jamie Otis. 

I would just LOVE to see Beth take that show away from Jamie, haha.  Jamie would blow the place apart.  She’s the Queen of MAFS, she thinks.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 5/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, Retired at last said:

I enjoyed it -  mainly because it was only an hour long!!  I don't watch any of the shows about the couples so I enjoyed seeing these three that stayed together.  I also liked their takes on things like what it's like the night before decision day, and how they felt going into that.

As for their predictions - I don't really remember but for the most part they were what we all seem to say here - Vinnie and Brianna together, Jake and Haley not, Ryan/Clara and Erik/Virginia divided.  What did surprise me was that other than Elizabeth, who called out Virginia as an immature party girl who needs to get her act together, they were pretty much Team Virginia and hated Erik.

They talked about what an asshole Chris is.  Then we got a scene from next week where Chris and Paige are going to piss off everyone on this board at least 😄

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, princelina said:

Then we got a scene from next week where Chris and Paige are going to piss off everyone on this board at least 😄

Thanks for the recap. Those of us who watched that mid-season show with Kevin Frazier and a few social media people saw the scene at D Day with Chris and Paige, which I think is what you are referring to. 

I think that clip of Chris and Paige is production shenanigans. I'm hoping the scene with Paige with her face in her lap is hysterical laughter. I do wonder why she is holding his suit jacket though. 

• Love 2

Disagreed with most of their opinions. They all like Virginia and think she and Erik have a chance in hell to make it? Only Beth questioned Virginn's drinking. They really came down hard on Erik. All in all at times it seemed to me like none of them actually watched the entire season. 

They didn't rag on Chris near enough. I thought they would tear him apart limb from limb. 

I also thought they pretty much gave Haley a pass. 

Karen and Miles should have had much more to say about Ryan and Clara and the no sex situation since they have been through it. 

The women did look stunning, though. 

Jamie can lose the mustache with the bald head. Not a good look. Miles can lose the gold chain with the turtleneck, too. Woody is Woody. Love him and his silly style and the fact that it doesn't bother Amani. Unlike Haley being so turned off by Jakes style.  

• Love 2

They were fun to watch!  Woody even had on a rhinestone necklace!  Armani was interesting in her look!  

Elizabeth can't shut up!  I'm sure some producer was waving her quiet so others could speak.  I agree that's not a good look on Jamie.

Karen is so pretty and I'm impressed with the maturity of Miles.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2021 at 9:23 PM, seacliffsal said:

I wondered while watching, and increasingly so after reading various comments, if Lifetime is thinking of replacing Jamie on Unfiltered and used this as an audition opportunity.  

I doubt that, but I'm sure Beth was turning it into a wannabe audition and hoping that Lifetime will think the same thing.

23 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Disagreed with most of their opinions. They all like Virginia and think she and Erik have a chance in hell to make it? Only Beth questioned Virginn's drinking. They really came down hard on Erik. All in all at times it seemed to me like none of them actually watched the entire season. 

They didn't rag on Chris near enough. I thought they would tear him apart limb from limb. 

I also thought they pretty much gave Haley a pass. 

Karen and Miles should have had much more to say about Ryan and Clara and the no sex situation since they have been through it. 

The women did look stunning, though. 

I got the impression that the two New Orleans couples were trying to be very careful in their responses because they don't know who they might have to deal with again on Couples Cam and social media and don't want to get anyone upset with them.  Because of that I don't think getting past couples' opinions is such a good idea anymore.  Maybe if  they didn't have an ongoing career with the show and didn't care but that's not the case with them.  Just the way Jamie O. never really says anything too inflammatory about anyone especially if it looks like they're staying together.  

Of course Elizabeth is the exception to that.  We all know she is who she is and speaks her mind when she has a strong opinion about someone on the show regardless of the consequences.  We've seen her do it before when she ripped into Matt Gwynne to his face for his behavior toward his wife Amber.  Also, Virginia herself had no problem ripping into Chris for his behavior toward Paige.  I personally wouldn't want to see the two women in a room alone together, LOL.

• Love 3

Surprised myself by really enjoying this.  The 3 couples have chemistry together and enjoyed hearing their takes on the current season with a little bit of insight from the their personal experiences.  Any of them could replace Jamie on Unfiltered and it would be a blessing.  It would be especially interesting to see Elizabeth and Woody co-host to get male and female insight.  Revealing that a few of them thought Chris and Paige would get divorced, but continue to be messy and keep in touch.  Ugh if that happens.  Appreciated Elizabeth’s insight that it is easier to pick on Jake because he’s actually shared things about himself vs Haley who hasn’t really shared anything so there’s nothing to call her out on.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2