Type keyword(s) to search

Physical - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

(edited)
11 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I thought the hookup in the bed was dead. 
I doubt if this gets renewed but I don’t hate it.  

She was probably very drugged up.

I also don't expect it to get renewed. It doesn't make much noise. It's a shame it really grew on me.

49 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

Am I crazy or does Apple+ not release next-episode previews?

2 episodes left, is that right? What are we 'climaxing' to here, exactly?

Yep, 2 more left.

We are climaxing towards the result of the election.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/27/2021 at 1:49 PM, BingeyKohan said:

2 episodes left, is that right? What are we 'climaxing' to here, exactly?

On 7/27/2021 at 2:38 PM, Harvey said:

We are climaxing towards the result of the election.

There was also that flash-forward to '86 in the first episode with Sheila doing a professional taping of a workout video and being a bitch to her assistant. I thought the show was going to progress from '81 to '86 by the end of the season, but we're still in '81. There's a chance that we get election results in the next episode and a time jump in the finale, but that would be a bit jarring after the slow pace of the season so far.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Aaand, Danny is back to being an asshole. I hope Maya spills to Sheila about what she saw (I know she doesn't really understand what she saw, but she could say something like "Daddy was playing hide and seek under Simone's dress" and Sheila would understand).

I loved Sheila, Greta, Bunny, and Tyler all going to the bootlegger's house to get the tapes and money back, but apparently this camaraderie isn't going to last long since Sheila is working alone in the '86 flash-forward.

ETA: The minister who told John Breem's wife that working out makes her less focused on her marriage needs to go fuck himself.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2

This might have been the best episode yet. Sheila's inner dialouge is always so fascinating to listen to. Best aspect of the show.

It was pretty funny that John Breem's wife wanted to go to the pastor and then in the end she was the one who got reprimanded 🤣. Poor her. But it was not cool to criticize her for having "only" two kids. That is more than enough. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Definitely the best episode yet. I feel like from the ending of this episode it's about to become the show that was alluded to in the original trailer. I have quite enjoyed the show as it has been but I did originally come for a bombastic 80s show about a downtrodden housewife taking the world by storm with her empowering aerobics. So it's exciting to see that about to happen and I think we're going to build to a satisfying finale. However, the slow build up compared to the dynamic trailer has probably hurt the show's ability to build an audience, so I'm not convinced we will get a second season.

Lots of great moments in this episode but to me the absolute best moment was when the foursome were going to confront the bootlegger and are slowmo walking to his house. Greta walking slightly in front of Bunny reaches up and purposefully removes her wig and Bunny's WTF reaction behind her was gold.

(And is it just me or is Maya a badly written and cast. She's supposed to 4 but the actor looks older (Imdb suggests she's 6) while her behaviour is that of a barely turned 2 year old. It's very jarring, the absolute worst part of the show for me.)

Edited by AllyB
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, AllyB said:

Definitely the best episode yet. I feel like from the ending of this episode it's about to become the show that was alluded to in the original trailer. I have quite enjoyed the show as it has been but I did originally come for a bombastic 80s show about a downtrodden housewife taking the world by storm with her empowering aerobics. So it's exciting to see that about to happen and I think we're going to build to a satisfying finale. However, the slow build up compared to the dynamic trailer has probably hurt the show's ability to build an audience, so I'm not convinced we will get a second season.

Lots of great moments in this episode but to me the absolute best moment was when the foursome were going to confront the bootlegger and are slowmo walking to his house. Greta walking slightly in front of Bunny reaches up and purposefully removes her wig and Bunny's WTF reaction behind her was gold.

(And is it just me or is Maya a badly written and cast. She's supposed to 4 but the actor looks older (Imdb suggests she's 6) while her behaviour is that of a barely turned 2 year old. It's very jarring, the absolute worst part of the show for me.)

Re: Maya - maybe most of the writers don’t have kids?  

4 hours ago, AllyB said:

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Re: Maya - maybe most of the writers don’t have kids?  

The show was created, directed, and produced by mostly women (including Rose Byrne, who has two young children) so I'm sure that's not the problem. My impression is that Maya has a developmental delay, which is why Sheila frets so much over her.

• Love 1
On 7/30/2021 at 4:54 PM, chocolatine said:

My impression is that Maya has a developmental delay, which is why Sheila frets so much over her.

I had wondered that. Though it could simply be a mix of child written too young while played by a much older child leading to a really incongruous result. It's funny but I literally watched Rose Byrne last night in Juliet, Naked where she is acting with a wonderful child actor and character. It must be strange as an actor to have such different experiences opposite children, where sometimes the child is an integral part of the cast and story and and other times they are basically there as little more than a plot device.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, AllyB said:

I had wondered that. Though it could simply be a mix of child written too young while played by a much older child leading to a really incongruous result. It's funny but I literally watched Rose Byrne last night in Juliet, Naked where she is acting with a wonderful child actor and character. It must be strange as an actor to have such different experiences opposite children, where sometimes the child is an integral part of the cast and story and and other times they are basically there as little more than a plot device.

This Is Us is an example of this.  The actress who plays Tess is 15 or 16 and playing a 12 year old.  The actress is very obviously NOT 12.  I know they like casting older because those kids are more mature, but usually, they cast very small kids who look younger than their age (which was the case when This Is Us first premiered).  The actress playing Maya must be rolling her eyes at having to do things that she hasn't done in a long time...could be fun, at the same time, though.  Haha. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

Pleasantly surprised about this. It's a weird and unfocused show imho but still very compelling.

I guess one of the nice things about trillion-dollar tech companies like Apple and Amazon creating TV shows is that they can afford to invest in some of the more quirky, off-beat concepts without having to worry about ratings, demographics, and ad revenue.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

That was a good season ending, and it would have worked even if the show hadn't been renewed for a second season. I must admit, I felt irrationally happy for Sheila getting the distribution offer* even though I know it means screwing over Bunny and Tyler. At least Bunny is smart enough to see it coming.

Not surprised that Danny lost the election. I'm guessing the marriage won't last much longer and Sheila will start sleeping with Paul Breem. I don't see him leaving his pregnant wife though, so it'll probably just be an affair instead of them getting together.

I thought the show was supposed to take place in 1981, but Edge Of Seventeen was released in 1982 and Holding Out For A Hero in 1984.

* I really wanted to punch that guy in the face though when he told her to take home the paperwork and "have [her] husband walk [her] through it."

Edited by chocolatine

Sheila really needs to get rid of stupid Danny ASAP the final scene being intercut with those 2 being drugged up and going on and on about nothing was annoying as hell. And it's like why do that the story would have been much better off with just being focused on Sheila and John do the show runners really think we are interested in seeing Danny and his coke-head friend?

I'd like to see it made a bit more clear why Sheila is so much more popular than Bunny. At the start of the show Sheila was obsessed with Bunny and actually stalking her just based on how she looked. Before she ever even knew aerobics existed, Sheila was literally following Bunny around. So I find it hard to believe that everyone enjoying the aerobics videos only love Sheila and couldn't care less about Bunny. I know that Sheila is tapping into women's self-critical voices and blasting it away with her exercises, but there are surely still an awful lot of women who will be drawn more to Bunny. Because she is genuinely adorable with an obvious charm and sharp personality of her own.

I feel so bad for Bunny. Regardless of what happens with Sheila, she has herself her own Danny in Tyler. Tyler is a sweet person and not low key entitled and abusive like (nice guy) Danny. But he's a child who will keep dragging her down by not taking responsibility for himself. He kept surfing when he knew he needed to stay out of the water as aside from "just" his health, he lives in a country where medical treatment is paid through the nose for. He's just created a huge amount of debt for himself that Bunny feels responsible for. She needs to move on from him and take care of herself. Because even if Sheila screws her over, she's smart and feisty and will be able to carve out a decent life for herself. But she probably won't and will just get sucked down taking care of Tyler for years to come.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, AllyB said:

I'd like to see it made a bit more clear why Sheila is so much more popular than Bunny. At the start of the show Sheila was obsessed with Bunny and actually stalking her just based on how she looked. Before she ever even knew aerobics existed, Sheila was literally following Bunny around. So I find it hard to believe that everyone enjoying the aerobics videos only love Sheila and couldn't care less about Bunny. I know that Sheila is tapping into women's self-critical voices and blasting it away with her exercises, but there are surely still an awful lot of women who will be drawn more to Bunny. Because she is genuinely adorable with an obvious charm and sharp personality of her own.

John Breem mentioned in a previous episode that Sheila brings a fervor to teaching that he has never seen before except for in church. Even when I'm doing my own home workout videos, it is very helpful when the instructor is giving these lovely pep talks to motivate me keep at it. And Sheila is just very good at providing that plus she is more elegant than Bunny so she projects a more desireable image.

• Love 1

I know that's what's happening but only because we're being told it, I'm not seeing it. What I did see was Bunny being someone magnetic enough that Sheila was already obsessed with her in a way she couldn't understand, by the time we met them. And I consistently see Bunny as someone who is adorable and feisty. I just can't SEE Sheila as being the only one of the duo to have a following. Maybe it would work better if we were seeing Bunny becoming distracted by the responsibilities of having to mother her child of a boyfriend, while Sheila is stepping out of that role with Danny and coming into herself. But we're still seeing Bunny being as adorable as ever.

Maybe she is badly cast because I find her to be much more captivating than Sheila. She's not coming across as only having surface glamour, or uninteresting beneath her bottle blonde. She's clearly got a lot going on under the surface. The only thing Sheila seems to have on her is height.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Anyone else think that in Season 2 we are at some point going to see Sheila do a full circle? Either by going to therapy, or reaching the top and then falling hard? She’ll realize what a jerk she has been to people and apologize for a lot of it, and build better relationships with those people that could actually be her friends? 

• Like 1

Danny and Jerry are such ASSHOLES. Getting really sick of Jerry constantly putting Sheila down and making nasty little cracks. She’s way smarter than he is. And Danny… WOW. WTF was up with him harassing her to eat a cream puff and then literally shoving it in her mouth? There was nothing covert about how abusive that was. If I were in her shoes, that would be the straw that broke the camel’s back. Between this, his general dismissive and entitled attitude, and cheating on her with Simone (which I hope she finds out about - and makes me wonder if he’s cheated before), it’s way past time for her to leave his ass. Hopefully before the videos make her rich so she doesn’t have to split the profits with him in a divorce settlement.

I loved the mall aerobics scene with Greta doing some of the moves on the sidelines. GO GRETA! She’s my favorite character and it’s good to see her starting to get more self-esteem. Likewise for Sheila, although it apparently also means she’ll trample anyone to get ahead. I wonder if she’ll still be doing all the vicious self-talk in 1986.

• Love 3

One other thing: I know Sheila and Bunny were stuck on a platform so they could be seen, so there wasn’t a lot of room to move around. And maybe at this point aerobics hadn’t really evolved past doing everything in one spot. The classes I took had complex choreography with a lot of moving around. There was even a routine to Huey Lewis and the News’ “Heart of Rock and Roll” that had us in a big circle moving counterclockwise around the room. I miss those days!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I loved the mall aerobics scene with Greta doing some of the moves on the sidelines. GO GRETA! She’s my favorite character and it’s good to see her starting to get more self-esteem. Likewise for Sheila, although it apparently also means she’ll trample anyone to get ahead. I wonder if she’ll still be doing all the vicious self-talk in 1986.

If the showrunners read critic reviews and pay attention to the general reception the series is getting, she will. It is by far the best, most unique and intriguing part of the show. If anything, they should turn it up in season 2. Removing it would make the show a lot less interesting.

Edited by Harvey
11 hours ago, Harvey said:

If the showrunners read critic reviews and pay attention to the general reception the series is getting, she will. It is by far the best, most unique and intriguing part of the show. If anything, they should turn it up in season 2. Removing it would make the show a lot less interesting.

JMO but I much prefer the snarky thoughts she has about everyone else - especially Danny and Jerry. I just wish she’d say most of them out loud to those two!

• Love 1
On 8/8/2021 at 3:44 PM, CarpeFelis said:

JMO but I much prefer the snarky thoughts she has about everyone else - especially Danny and Jerry. I just wish she’d say most of them out loud to those two!

Are they setting Sheila up to be the Jane Fonda of the eighties.? I remember vividly i could not get a small microwave like she had until 1984. Also i remember going to a gym and their class schedule was mostly playing Jane Fonda videos .

?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

Are they setting Sheila up to be the Jane Fonda of the eighties.? I remember vividly i could not get a small microwave like she had until 1984. Also i remember going to a gym and their class schedule was mostly playing Jane Fonda videos .

?

That’s what I’ve been thinking, that she’s going to be like another Jane Fonda.

I don’t recall the sizes of microwaves back then. I do remember finally buying my first one around the end of 1985 though and I don’t remember it being overly big.

Edited by CarpeFelis
typo
2 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

That’s what I’ve been thinking, that she’s going to be like another Jane Fonda.

I don’t recall the sizes of microwaves back then. I do remember finally buying my first one around the end of 1985 though and I don’t reemember it being overly big.

They were big. At least the one I had was. 

• Like 1
On 8/6/2021 at 4:42 AM, AllyB said:

I know that's what's happening but only because we're being told it, I'm not seeing it. What I did see was Bunny being someone magnetic enough that Sheila was already obsessed with her in a way she couldn't understand, by the time we met them. And I consistently see Bunny as someone who is adorable and feisty. I just can't SEE Sheila as being the only one of the duo to have a following. Maybe it would work better if we were seeing Bunny becoming distracted by the responsibilities of having to mother her child of a boyfriend, while Sheila is stepping out of that role with Danny and coming into herself. But we're still seeing Bunny being as adorable as ever.

Maybe she is badly cast because I find her to be much more captivating than Sheila. She's not coming across as only having surface glamour, or uninteresting beneath her bottle blonde. She's clearly got a lot going on under the surface. The only thing Sheila seems to have on her is height.

I'm watching Episode 6 (I think) right now and I can see how Sheila left Bunny in the dust. 

The two of them are rehearsing for the video...and it's Sheila, not Bunny, coming up with the innovative moves, the routines.  Bunny isn't in great cardiovascular fitness as she has to take a break to grab a cigarette. 

Bunny may be adorable and feisty, but Sheila has the drive, she's more creative/fit than Bunny, and she's a leader - she has presence that Bunny just doesn't have. 

• Love 2

In the second season, our hero Sheila Rubin (Byrne) has successfully launched her first fitness video only to encounter some new and bigger obstacles in her path. She is torn between loyalty to her husband (Scovel) and the values he represents, and a dangerous attraction to someone else. And since she’s no longer the only game in town, she finds herself having to outrun some fierce new competitors on the road to building a full-fledged fitness empire.

I love that season 2 started with Sheila's inner monolouge, as I feel that is the strongest point of the series so I am glad they still include that in the show. I also like that the theme of Sheila not being able to talk to / connect with other women is still included, and it's something she struggles with. It was interesting to see that she was mostly able to sell her tape to guys.

It's also surprising that in Breem's marriage, the wife seems to be the problem. Last season she shut him down when he tried to open up to her, and now it seems like she is ashamed of her heritage and lashes out. I'm curious to see where they take all this.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/2/2022 at 10:08 PM, Harvey said:

I love that season 2 started with Sheila's inner monolouge, as I feel that is the strongest point of the series so I am glad they still include that in the show. I also like that the theme of Sheila not being able to talk to / connect with other women is still included, and it's something she struggles with. It was interesting to see that she was mostly able to sell her tape to guys.

It's also surprising that in Breem's marriage, the wife seems to be the problem. Last season she shut him down when he tried to open up to her, and now it seems like she is ashamed of her heritage and lashes out. I'm curious to see where they take all this.

Yes, Sheila’s inner monologue is the best part of the series. I was pleasantly surprised when she told Danny off in the limo and then drove off. I expected that to turn out to be something she was just imagining and was glad it wasn’t.

Part of the problem she’s having trying to sell the tapes to women is indeed her difficulty connecting with other women, but it’s also that she’s been put into the wrong setting. The guys buying them just want to ogle women jumping around in spandex (true to the ‘80s I remember) and would probably buy them anywhere. The women in the store, although they seem to be the ones who need it the most, are busy doing errands and just not interested. If she was selling the tapes outside a gym, the women she’d encounter there would be a lot more interested. (Reminds me of buying The Firm tapes a few years later for $50 each, which was pretty steep but their combination of aerobics and weights was revolutionary at the time.)

The ending was a surprise. Sheila’s “this is the last time” thoughts fool you into thinking it’s another fast food binge, but nooooo… I wonder how long it will take her to be ready to leave Danny, as she mentioned to Greta. And how long his semi-reformed attitude will last, especially with that asshole Jerry still hanging around. That guy’s a horrible influence.

Edited by CarpeFelis
typo
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

The ending was a surprise. Sheila’s “this is the last time” thoughts fool you into thinking it’s another fast food binge, but nooooo… I wonder how long it will take her to be ready to leave Danny, as she mentioned to Greta.

I knew it was going to be an affair. She replaced one addiction with another, as people often do.

So far I'm liking this seasons better than the last. The negative self-talk is still there, but toning it down has made room for other aspects of the show. I'm also happy about the lack of binge-eating scenes so far. 

What I don't quite understand, is the show trying to pretend that Sheila is a pioneer of home fitness videos? Her interactions with the women to whom she's trying to sell the videos make it look like those women are not familiar with the concept, but by that time, the Jane Fonda workouts would have been all the rage. And this is also why I'm confused about Bunny's claims that Sheila "stole" her idea, since Bunny herself wasn't the first person to come up with it.

Sheila's affair with Danny's nemesis could be interesting, but I'm getting a really dark vibe from him. I get the feeling he doesn't just like to play rough in bed, but has a lot of repressed rage and could become violent at the drop of a hat.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Sheila's affair with Danny's nemesis could be interesting, but I'm getting a really dark vibe from him. I get the feeling he doesn't just like to play rough in bed, but has a lot of repressed rage and could become violent at the drop of a hat.

THIS. I got a really creepy vibe from him even in the dinner scene with his family where he was pretty much ignoring his wife.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

What I don't quite understand, is the show trying to pretend that Sheila is a pioneer of home fitness videos? Her interactions with the women to whom she's trying to sell the videos make it look like those women are not familiar with the concept, but by that time, the Jane Fonda workouts would have been all the rage. And this is also why I'm confused about Bunny's claims that Sheila "stole" her idea, since Bunny herself wasn't the first person to come up with it.

Exactly. The idea of doing aerobics at home was not a foreign concept in the early 80s. We always think of Fonda's videos as the advent of the industry but before VCRs were found in most homes, millions of people worked out to LPs. Joanie Greggains, Kathy Smith, Jane Fonda, Richard Simmons, and dozens of others all released exercise LPs before the exercise videotape boom of 1982 and beyond.

• Useful 1
38 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

Exactly. The idea of doing aerobics at home was not a foreign concept in the early 80s. We always think of Fonda's videos as the advent of the industry but before VCRs were found in most homes, millions of people worked out to LPs. Joanie Greggains, Kathy Smith, Jane Fonda, Richard Simmons, and dozens of others all released exercise LPs before the exercise videotape boom of 1982 and beyond.

OK, thank you for confirming - I'm too young to remember it first-hand, but when I started doing home workouts and frequenting the VideoFitness forum, I saw a lot of women who have been doing them since the early 80s.

I could perhaps understand if the trend didn't immediately catch on everywhere, but I'm sure in fitness-obsessed SoCal most of the middle-class women would have already been well aware of it.

If my 11-year-old butt was working out to a Joanie Greggains record in 1981 in BF Wisconsin, we can rest assured the trend had also hit California (and the rest of the world) 😅

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Jazzercise (which has been referenced by Jerry in S1 and S2 if memory serves) predates even Jane Fonda and was/is headquartered in Carlsbad near San Diego which is where Physical is based.  So Sheila isn't a pioneer per se and neither is Bunny.  

Based on the very first episode, Sheila is going to have hit the big time by 1986.  I'm looking forward to seeing the story arc, if the series lasts that long! (fingers crossed).

(edited)
16 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Jazzercise (which has been referenced by Jerry in S1 and S2 if memory serves) predates even Jane Fonda and was/is headquartered in Carlsbad near San Diego which is where Physical is based.  So Sheila isn't a pioneer per se and neither is Bunny.  

Exactly. The conflict would be much more believable if it was Sheila and Bunny competing for a share of the oversaturated SoCal fitness market, not arguing who stole from whom.

Edited by chocolatine
On 6/11/2022 at 10:04 PM, QQQQ said:

Not to mention there were already regular TV shows doing it, so if you really wanted to do a workout video, you just had to turn it on at the right time of day. Since LaLanne in the 50s! I remember the 80s aerobics craze as being way more about actually going somewhere and doing it together with a group of women.

I am perpetually irritated at how easy and silly they make the workouts look. Those things were brutal!

(edited)
On 6/12/2022 at 3:04 AM, QQQQ said:

Oh wow, that has just unearthed a memory for me. One Christmas in the early 80s my great uncle gave me a gift of a kids workout set, that consisted of a set of coloured heavy rubber bracelets/anklets to be worn as weights. With a workout audio cassette tape and a foldout poster with diagrams of the exercises so you could visualise what you were supposed to follow along with. I really enjoyed it but was a bit disappointed because it was part of a set, with the others advertised in the package and I would have liked the one with the big rhythmic gymnastics ribbon far more than the weighted bracelets.

ETA: I can't believe it but I found an image of it online! The nostalgia!

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 09.57.09.png

Edited by AllyB
  • Love 2

S2E3: I felt so bad for John Breem's son, his father was being unnecessarily stern with him, and for what? The poor kid was just trying to get his father's approval.  I get that he's trapped in an unhappy marriage but that is not his son's fault.

Also, her ovary shut down because she starved herself, right? I  read that internal organs start to shut down in people who do not eat properly for a long time.

(edited)
7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I seem to remember Alyssa Milano in one of the commercials. Nothing like indoctrinating pre-teens and teenagers into hating their bodies as early as possible.

This. Sheila's hate-filled inner dialogue is very relatable.

Alyssa Milano Teen Steam (1988)

Edited by QQQQ

I am struggling with this season a bit. They have badly diminished Bunny (which I'm assuming they will eventually rectify but it's hard to wait it out - and her wig is so much worse this season!) and as others have noted whatever competitive landscape Sheila finds herself in doesn't make a lot of sense, especially in relation to the flash-forward to her ultimate empire, which will seem sort of late in the game by then. Also - the anachronisms bug me! People did not throw around the terms "level up" and "lifestyle brand" back then. 

• Love 2

Vinnie’s infomercial is cheesy as hell.

When Danny confronted Sheila about the weights (which looked like wimpy little 1-pounders, FFS) I kinda wanted her to throw one at him.

How the heck did Danny manage to reconstruct the whiteboard notes after Maya destroyed them?

If Bunny is smart (but I don’t think she is) she’ll use the opportunity of subbing for Sheila to get her own name out there.

Am I forgetting something from a previous episode? How does Tyler know about Sheila and Breem? Or is it Danny he’s planning to try to blackmail?

• Love 1

I loved the emotional intensity of the scene where Breem was yelling at Sheila because he thought she was cheating.

But other than that, I don't get it. What are the last 30 seconds supposed to tell us? And Sheila didn't explain Breem her eating disorder, he just sat with her in silence and that was it?

(edited)

I remember being amazed at the miracle that was (and still is!) the dry erase board. Is warms my heart to see it's still on dorm residence hall 😅 must-have lists four decades on.

Edited by QQQQ
  • LOL 1

I figured that we didn't see it for whatever reason, but that Sheila confided to Breem about her eating disorder because of course she went into the bathroom to throw up.

I also think that Ty knows about the motel room and that Sheila has been meeting Breem there.  Maybe he knows the desk clerk.

Bad idea for Sheila to  have Bunny sub for her while she's recovering.  

• Love 2