Type keyword(s) to search

Physical - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Apple_TV_Physical_key_art.jpg

Physical is a 10 half-hour episode dark comedy/drama, set in the idyllic but fragile beach paradise of sunny 1980s San Diego. It follows Sheila Rubin (Rose Byrne), a quietly tortured, seemingly dutiful housewife supporting her smart but controversial husband’s (Danny Rubin - Rory Scovel) bid for state assembly. But behind closed doors, Sheila has her own darkly funny take on life she rarely lets the world see. She’s also battling a complex set of personal demons relating to her self-image… that is, until she finds release through the unlikeliest source: the world of aerobics. At first hooked on the exercise itself, Sheila’s real road to empowerment comes when she discovers a way to merge this newfound passion with the burgeoning technology of videotape to start a revolutionary business. The series tracks her epic journey from a stifled, overlooked enabler to a powerful, confident economic force, as Sheila transforms into someone we take for granted today (but was entirely radical at the time) — the female lifestyle guru.

Paul Sparks is John Breem, a conservative real estate developer convinced the mall will save the American family.

Other cast members include Loy Taylor Pucci, Della Saba, Dierdre Friel, and Ashley Liao.

Paul-Sparks-Della-Saba-Ashley-Liao.jpg

The first 3 episodes will be streaming on AppleTV+ on June 18th.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 1

Set in the idyllic but fragile beach paradise of sunny 1980s San Diego, "Physical" is a half-hour dark comedy following Sheila Rubin (Byrne), a quietly tortured, seemingly dutiful housewife supporting her smart but controversial husband's bid for state assembly. But behind closed doors, Sheila has her own darkly funny take on life she rarely lets the world see. She's also battling a complex set of personal demons relating to her self-image... . that is, until she finds release through the unlikeliest source: the world of aerobics.

At first hooked on the exercise itself, Sheila's real road to empowerment comes when she discovers a way to merge this newfound passion with the burgeoning technology of videotape to start a revolutionary business. The series tracks her epic journey from a stifled, overlooked enabler to a powerful, confident economic force, as Sheila transforms into someone we take for granted today (but was entirely radical at the time) - the female lifestyle guru.

In addition to Byrne, "Physical" stars Rory Scovel, Dierdre Friel, Della Saba, Lou Taylor Pucci, Paul Sparks and Ashley Liao.

S01.E01: Let’s Do This Thing

Sheila discovers aerobics as a new outlet for her body anxiety Danny, her husband, pursues a calling in politics after bad news about his job.

Original Release Date: June 18, 2021

S01.E02: Let’s Get Political

Desperate for more aerobics, Sheila struggles to get back to Bunny's studio while also helping Danny lock down a much needed endorsement.

S01.E03: Let’s Get Down To Business   

Debt mounting, Sheila decides to teach a class - but is tasked with recruiting new students. Danny hunts for enough signatures to get on the ballot.

S01.E04: Let’s Get This Party Started   

Danny hires a campaign manager from their past who causes friction with Sheila. Greta opens up about a nagging suspicion in her marriage.

Original Release Date: June 25, 2021

(edited)

Just watched the three episodes that premiered today. I wouldn't call this show "good" but Sheila is entertaining in a train wreck sort of way. The husband is a total cliche though and his political ambitions aren't compelling to me in the slightest. I hope the show focuses more on Sheila clawing her way to success and all the selfish and nasty things she has to do to get there.

I found the hateful self-talk both jarring and realistic because I've gone through phases in my life where I felt that way about myself. I never thought that someone as gorgeous as Sheila would feel that way though.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Does someone that beautiful & thin really believe they are fat & ugly?! 

Women who have been conditioned to believe that their value is based solely on their looks can feel this way when their looks start to fade. Sheila is still gorgeous to anyone who looks at her, but she's starting to see "flaws" like wrinkles and breakouts and the d-bag husband also made a dig about the way her body has changed after having their daughter.

It also sounds like she's done ballet all her life, and ballet teachers, especially in the "old" days, were extremely critical of dancers' bodies. And Sheila obviously has bulimia; eating disorders are always associated with a negative body image.

• Love 7

I thought this show was going to be a lot better than it actually seems to be.

The first 7 minutes where the husband tries to talk Sheila into having a threesome was just uncomfortable. And I hate that they made him an insecure man-child who has to be coddled all the time, it is annoying.

The good part of the show is when Shelia is alone and we get to hear her inner monolouge.  She is witty and her critical view of everyone (specially herself) is interesting to watch since she looks so pretty.

I was left unsatisfied at the end of episode 3. This is the kind of show that would benefit from having it's entire season released at once, because, well...it is just not that good or unique. But if all the episodes were in front of me, sure I'd watch it. But to come back to it a week later just to get one? I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 6/19/2021 at 6:20 PM, chocolatine said:

Women who have been conditioned to believe that their value is based solely on their looks can feel this way when their looks start to fade. Sheila is still gorgeous to anyone who looks at her, but she's starting to see "flaws" like wrinkles and breakouts and the d-bag husband also made a dig about the way her body has changed after having their daughter.

I'm about the same age as Sheila/Rose Byrne, I've almost always been happy/content with how I look. But have been experiencing a really sudden shock of ageing over the last year. I've suddenly become hyper aware of the deepening facial lines and the beginnings of sagging cheeks. To be completely honest, I don't like it. I mentioned to a friend recently that part of me almost wishes that the ageing could just be done, that I could look old and have that be that. Because the thoughts of this slow, drip, drip of my features changing over the next couple of decades is going to require me to find a way to completely adjust my way of thinking if I don't want to develop a Sheila like internal monologue. 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 7

not much traction here! which I get - the show is a little challenging, on not the hottest streaming service around. I think I'm in though given that my other tv obsessions are over and I like the production design. I never did even finish GLOW for some reason but the initial (superficial) comparisons are not really that apt anyway. I do think the writing here for Sheila's internal monologue is pretty banal to be so central to how we experience her.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Wow, this show has quite the bunch of dislikable characters. Even though Sheila behaves reprehensibly (the $1000 blackmail, for example) I do feel somewhat sorry for her being saddled with that utter douchebag of a useless husband. He has her doing EVERYTHING for him. I could not believe he had her lugging their daughter on her back on the beach, and made her carry all the heavy shopping bags. Most guys would at least be willing to do the literal heavy lifting! And he handed her his coffee mug in the car without even asking, like she’s a cup holder, not a human being (as I recall, cup holders were not so ubiquitous in the ‘80s as they are now). And he even leaves their finances entirely to her. Does this schmuck ever actually DO anything besides blather on, accuse his wife of not listening when he obviously doesn’t listen to her, sit around letting his wife do all the child care, and walk around the house with no pants on? I’m with Big Boo: Sheila has TWO kids to tke care of. And I’d be willing to bet before long he’ll be having an affair with Simone.

They call this a comedy but so far the only thing that’s been funny is Sheila’s thoughts about Danny. I did enjoy his having to get his lazy ass out of bed when their daughter was crying in the middle of the night. But I bet Sheila will catch hell for that.

• Love 3

Ep 4 was really good. The fight scene between Sheila and Dan was so well-made! He deserved what he got. And with that ending, I feel like things start to get really interesting next week.

I am curious about what is going on with the real estate developer guy. It seems like he is afraid of water, (which explains him wanting to destroy the beaches) and Sheila will find out about that. But will she be able to use that against him somehow?

• Love 4

I'm really liking this. Possibly because I too found my physical passion in my 40s and it makes it really easy to identify with how Sheila is feeling. I get her utter addiction to her aerobics. I understand the feeling when she is about to have a class, what it does for her, how it occupies her mind throughout the day, how she gets through the mundane with her imaginary aerobics routines playing in her mind. I also had a terrible marriage to an awful man, though thankfully mine was over before I reached this point in my life!

I unfortunately don't think I'll be building an empire worth millions out of my passion though.

• Love 4

Haven’t seen episode 4 yet, but I just wanted to comment that after seeing Bunny’s classes, it’s kind of hard to imagine why Sheila’s so excited about aerobics. I went to a LOT of aerobics classes in the ‘80s and ‘90s and the choreography was a hell of a lot more fun (I guess you’d call it “dancier”). 

• Love 4
(edited)
15 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

Haven’t seen episode 4 yet, but I just wanted to comment that after seeing Bunny’s classes, it’s kind of hard to imagine why Sheila’s so excited about aerobics. I went to a LOT of aerobics classes in the ‘80s and ‘90s and the choreography was a hell of a lot more fun (I guess you’d call it “dancier”). 

It sounds like she'd only done ballet up until then, and compared to the rigidity of a ballet class any kind of aerobics class will seem fun and high energy.

ETA: The husband being a d-bag the entire time is getting really old for me. I'd appreciate some nuance.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

It sounds like she'd only done ballet up until then, and compared to the rigidity of a ballet class any kind of aerobics class will seem fun and high energy.

ETA: The husband being a d-bag the entire time is getting really old for me. I'd appreciate some nuance.

She did really seem to get into the punching moves. It would have been great if they’d inserted some “take that, Danny, you asshole” type thoughts for her while she was doing them.

• Love 2

OMG, when Danny was tapping the spoon on the mug demanding coffee, especially after the stunt he’d pulled the night before, I was really hoping Sheila would take the coffee pot and dump it in his lap. At least she’s finally starting to stand up to him. I would love to see someone punch him in his smug, stupid face.

• Love 6

I just watched all 4 episodes last night.  This is one of those shows you have to be in the mood for, I think.  I read all of your comments beforehand so I was ready for the weird, dark vibe and just went with it.  I agree that episode 4 is where the story really picks up and now I am intrigued.  I love Rose Byrne and I am loving the hell out of the music.  Anything 80s is a guaranteed try for me and so far this oddly random and strange little show is satisfying enough for me to keep watching.

• Love 6
On 6/19/2021 at 12:20 PM, chocolatine said:

It also sounds like she's done ballet all her life, and ballet teachers, especially in the "old" days, were extremely critical of dancers' bodies. And Sheila obviously has bulimia; eating disorders are always associated with a negative body image.

I also keep in mind that Sheila is a Baby Boomer woman and probably was involved in second wave feminism earlier in life. So, she has a lot of competing ideologies running around in that one brain as evidenced by her homophobic inner monologue while talking to the lesbian professor who was probably a former peer in academia. Sheila's obsession with food and looks very much fits the personality types of my friends' moms during that time. I am a couple of years older than Sheila's daughter from what I can guess. My own mom has been known to slap a potato chip out of my hands when I was a kid. I did not have a weight problem at all but, my body was constantly an area of scrutiny while I was growing up.

Regarding ballet, I was absolutely taught how to purge by older girls at ballet camps and those after school special type tv movies that were supposed to be helping "bring awareness" to the issue. Teachers pretended they didn't know what was happening and weighed us in front of everyone in class while calling out your numbers from week to week. I also recall that even over the counter diet pills actually worked in the early to mid 80's because of the speed that was allowed to be in them. There's real reasons stuff like Dexatrim is no longer on the end caps of every grocery store like back then. Laxatives were also pretty popular.

Based on how Sheila's husband behaves and some of Sheila's behaviors, I think someone on staff has read Jane Fonda's "My Life So Far". Their dynamic has similarities to her marriage to Tom Hayden (1973 - 1990) except he was spending Jane's money.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I feel terrible for the poor nanny/housekeeper who lost her job because of the stolen camera. I hope Sheila uses the shaved head fetish footage (WTF!?) to blackmail Greta's husband into hiring back the nanny and also into giving her money for Danny's campaign. Not that I want Danny to succeed, but Greta's husband is a creep and an asshole, and deserves to be shaken down. 

I guess Bunny's meeting with her sister and the ultimatum to return to her family is a way to eventually get Bunny out of the way so that Sheila can completely take over the aerobics business. The sister was carrying a Chanel bag, so it looks like the family is well off but refuses to support Bunny because they think her lifestyle is shameful.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Ep 5: Wow, I loved that Sheila finally stood up for herself. That campaign manager guy is a pompous a-hole and he had no right to talk to her in such a condescending way. Also, I am glad that the inner monolouge is back, I missed it from the previous episodes. 🤠

On 7/1/2021 at 9:59 PM, chocolatine said:

I feel terrible for the poor nanny/housekeeper who lost her job because of the stolen camera. I hope Sheila uses the shaved head fetish footage (WTF!?) to blackmail Greta's husband into hiring back the nanny and also into giving her money for Danny's campaign. Not that I want Danny to succeed, but Greta's husband is a creep and an asshole, and deserves to be shaken down. 

I was thinking that, too. The only problem is that Sheila would have to admit how she got the video!

I enjoyed how Sheila stood up to Jerry. Can’t wait to see her do the same with Danny, thiugh that will probably take a while longer. I’m assuming she eventually divorces him sometime before the 1986 scenes, where I think we’re to believe she no longer takes any crap from anyone.

It was sort of a shock to see a baked Danny sounding intelligent on the talk show. That must be the state he was in most of the time when he was active in “the movement”.

I'm not sure Sheila is going to put things right for the fired nanny. She might feel some guilt about it but ultimately that nanny is just collateral damage. The woman we saw in the opening of the first episode did not appear to be a woman who would care if she got someone fired for no good reason. And that's the woman Sheila is on her way to being.

• Love 3

I don't think she would do it for the nanny's sake, but she has significant dirt on Greta's rich husband now and I'm sure she'll want to exploit it. I just thought she'd negotiate the rehiring of the nanny into whatever extortionate deal she'll make with him.

(edited)

Well in the end she just gave the tape to Greta so it will be interesting to see what comes of that. I totally thought she was going to fix her money troubles by blackmailing that guy.

Also, I think the show is building to Sheila sleeping with the real estate developer guy. In the very first episodes she said he is "kinda hot", in a following episode she stared at his ass in a really noticeable way and now they had another moment. It's only a matter of time.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 1

Wow, well I wonder if there will be any coming back from that for Greta? I like how she comes across as innocent and silly, because we see her through Sheila's eyes. But she's actually pretty sharp and capable of putting two and two together. I didn't think she'd see Sheila's videos and work out that Sheila had stolen the camera. Like Sheila, it never even occurred to me that she'd make that leap. But she worked out exactly what happened and wouldn't let Sheila talk her way out of it. 

I guess, she may be desperate to talk through whatever feelings watching Ernie's video throws up for her. So for that reason she may turn to Sheila, because she probably won't want to tell anyone who doesn't know about what Ernie has been doing. So that only leaves he with Sheila to talk to. But other than that, I don't think she'd ever be willing to be friends with Sheila again.

I was surprised Sheila didn’t have any snarky thoughts about Jerry bogarting all her microwave popcorn. I’d want to smack him. Having Danny around is bad enough, but having Jerry around is like having to put up with an evil monkey running amok in your house. Always up to something and a bad influence on Danny. Can you tell I absolutely HATE Jerry? 

It was dumb of her, though, to leave her notebook sitting around where he could get his paws on it.

Can’t wait to see how Greta reacts to Ernie’s video.

50 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

Can’t wait to see how Greta reacts to Ernie’s video.

Hopefully not by shaving her head.

Women like the "color consultant" who make a living from making other women feel like they do everything wrong is why women like Sheila have the self-hating internal monologue.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Women like the "color consultant" who make a living from making other women feel like they do everything wrong is why women like Sheila have the self-hating internal monologue.

They’re also lousy salespeople. The color consultant was horrible in more ways than one. First in that she was being insulting—not a great way to make anyone want to buy from you. Create a need, sure, but be a hell of a lot more subtle. Second, she was picking on THE HOSTESS WHO INVITED HER, FFS. Great way make sure you’re never asked back. Her superior attitude was a big turnoff, especially since she herself looked washed out as hell so she was plainly full of crap. I for one would be so pissed off by her I’d make a point of buying absolutely nothing from her.

I thought for sure that she’d start a screaming match with Sheila for stealing her thunder and probably any profit she was expecting to make. Sheila being confronted by Greta instead came as a big surprise. (BTW I noted that although she gave Greta the incriminating tape, she didn’t give back the video camera or even promise to bring it back.)

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

(BTW I noted that although she gave Greta the incriminating tape, she didn’t give back the video camera or even promise to bring it back.)

I think that's another glimpse of the "real" Sheila, the same person who extorted Bunny and Tyler for $1000 when she first met them. She doesn't feel remorse for her actions even if, on an objective level, she knows they're wrong. (Also, in the flash-forward to '86 at the beginning of the first episode, she threw her walkman at her assistant.)  She probably also assumed that once Greta finds out about Ernie's shaved head fetish, the stolen camera will become the least of his problems.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think that's another glimpse of the "real" Sheila, the same person who extorted Bunny and Tyler for $1000 when she first met them. She doesn't feel remorse for her actions even if, on an objective level, she knows they're wrong. (Also, in the flash-forward to '86 at the beginning of the first episode, she threw her walkman at her assistant.)  She probably also assumed that once Greta finds out about Ernie's shaved head fetish, the stolen camera will become the least of his problems.

Yeah, Sheila’s shown us she’s a horrible person many times. The only things about her that are sympathetic are her self-hatred and the way Danny treats her. Her nasty thoughts about him are amusing only because they’re well deserved. If she had a husband who treated her as an equal instead of his personal maid/24-7 nanny/sex toy, those thoughts would just be mean—like her thoughts about Greta and pretty much everyone else (except Jerry, who also deserves them). I can only imagine what a nightmare 1986 Sheila is to work for.

• Love 5

I'm binging to catch up and watching makes me want to have the guts to host a streaming workout program if I was actually GOOD ENOUGH at something (I have done barre, Pilates and Essentrics (it's inspired by dance, tai chi and physio)) to host.  Not that there aren't already zillions of them out there.  It's interesting that the first season dropped during a pandemic, with gyms in many areas closing and switching to online classes.  

On 7/9/2021 at 10:08 PM, chocolatine said:

Hopefully not by shaving her head.

I remember my Aunt gave me a Color Me Beautiful book for Christmas in the 80's 😄

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I remember my Aunt gave me a Color Me Beautiful book for Christmas in the 80's 😄

I remember being a middle schooler in the early 90s and reading about how different skin tones fit into different "seasons."  It made my eyes roll even then.  

• Love 1
Just now, PRgal said:

I remember being a middle schooler in the early 90s and reading about how different skin tones fit into different "seasons."  It made my eyes roll even then.  

I remember I gave it away... It was ridiculous LOL

7 hours ago, Nicmar said:

I was a Fashion Merchandising major at community college back then & this was literally one if my classes

• Love 1

I'm wondering how long it's going to take them to fully get into 1986 territory and how interesting the intervening time might be. I guess you could argue once Sheila is the success she seems to be in 86 there wouldn't be that much story left - but I'm also not sure this will get another season given that it's not much talked about. (I am enjoying it, to be clear.) They almost gave themselves too much runway - or maybe they shouldn't even have flashed forward to her ultimate success at all. I wonder specifically what would become of Bunny and Greta by 1986. My guess would be Sheila has fully left Bunny behind (and her family drama from her home country has played out and she lives a very very different life, perhaps even with Sheila having a nefarious hand in that) while Greta has come into her own and is running Sheila's business.

On 7/14/2021 at 4:36 PM, BingeyKohan said:

I'm wondering how long it's going to take them to fully get into 1986 territory and how interesting the intervening time might be. I guess you could argue once Sheila is the success she seems to be in 86 there wouldn't be that much story left - but I'm also not sure this will get another season given that it's not much talked about. (I am enjoying it, to be clear.) They almost gave themselves too much runway - or maybe they shouldn't even have flashed forward to her ultimate success at all. I wonder specifically what would become of Bunny and Greta by 1986. My guess would be Sheila has fully left Bunny behind (and her family drama from her home country has played out and she lives a very very different life, perhaps even with Sheila having a nefarious hand in that) while Greta has come into her own and is running Sheila's business.

They will not get there in season 1. They clearly have faith in getting renewed for season 2. We'll see how that goes....

This week's episode was sorta uneventful. Just slowly moving the events along with nothing major happening. I suppose Greta will cut her hair next week and that will be the resolution of that story.

Can you imagine what Sheila will say (to herself) about Greta if she turns up bald? 

I thought Bunny’s reaction to Sheila leaving town for a few days was odd. But I love how delighted Sheila is with everything Tyler makes.

2 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

DON’T DO IT, GRETA! I could not believe she was actually turned on by the head shaving video.

I was wondering whether Greta was forcing herself to get turned on by it - kind of like a reverse conversion therapy - in an effort to get Ernie to indulge his fetish with her and not with other women.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I was wondering whether Greta was forcing herself to get turned on by it - kind of like a reverse conversion therapy - in an effort to get Ernie to indulge his fetish with her and not with other women.

Interesting thought! That hadn’t occurred to me, but it makes sense.

I don't get what are they trying to do with the John Breem storyline. He will obviously be an investor into Sheila's business and help her grow. But what is with all this water phobia thing? And why would his wife just walk away when he finally opened up to her? Not cool.

So Sheila was raped....well that is just awful. I wish her fantasy about confronting her parents actually happened. It was a great scene and they deserve the retribution for being awful.

It was nice to see Greta and her husband be so into each other.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Harvey said:

So Sheila was raped....well that is just awful.

And it sounds like the way her parents handled it was at least as traumatizing as the assault itself. It explains a lot about why Sheila is the way she is.

This episode was the first time I've been impressed with Danny and I finally see why Sheila married him and is staying loyal to him (for now).

So Jerry brought a random hookup into Sheila and Danny's bed, then snooped through their drawers and read Sheila's journals. I would have thrown a heavy object at his head before he got another word out.

• Love 6
(edited)

This show is … so weird. I can handle weird! I like it. But I do wonder what Rose Byrne saw in it exactly. Good on her for seeing it. I get the ambivalent reviews. Where was Tyler’s new surfboard? 

I guess John Breem now has the context he needs to swoop in and try and partner with Sheila, possibly shoving Bunny aside.

Edited by BingeyKohan
  • Like 1
On 7/22/2021 at 11:06 PM, chocolatine said:

So Jerry brought a random hookup into Sheila and Danny's bed, then snooped through their drawers and read Sheila's journals. I would have thrown a heavy object at his head before he got another word out.

So would I! (Hell, I would’ve done that in the episode where he took all her microwave popcorn.)

Jerry is That Fucking Guy to a T. He has one hell of a nerve.

And don’t even get me started on Sheila’s parents… O. M. F. G.

• Love 1