Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14 Grandma Fail

• Start Topic

Jenna and Aden bring Luca home, Myrka worries that her stable home with Ethan's family is crumbling, Lilly and Lawrence worry when their baby is born silent.

So, are we thinking that Ethan's dad has a girlfriend?

Edited by heatherchandler
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

So, are we thinking that Ethan's dad has a girlfriend

I commented on that a couple of weeks ago when the wife said he comes home late, is always tired because he had to take on another job and that he has become somewhat distant. So maybe he has a woman on the side OR maybe he just can’t stand being in that house with crying babies, crying teenagers, and the realization/resentment that this is his life now. He himself was a teen father.....and how’s that working out?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I commented on that a couple of weeks ago when the wife said he comes home late, is always tired because he had to take on another job and that he has become somewhat distant. So maybe he has a woman on the side OR maybe he just can’t stand being in that house with crying babies, crying teenagers, and the realization/resentment that this is his life now. He himself was a teen father.....and how’s that working out?

One of those no good deed goes unpunished. They take in Merka and baby and now this...

• Love 2

Aw Jenna’s Dad is so proud of her. I wonder how long that will last? I give her two days, at most, before she’s crying and pitching major fits about having to take care of the baby.  

Brain dead Lily. How did she get this far in life? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/15/2021 at 7:09 PM, sATL said:

I only catch snippets of this show mainly after dozing off from the earlier lineup. And I seem to catch the births. I need  little background

1) the teen mom who was at a cheerleading competition-retreat whose college is out of town.. what was the sequence of events? She got pregnant and had a baby in HS, had to give up cheer SR year, applied to college and chose that particular  college far away b/c that is the only place she could make the cheer squad ? 

2) The teen mom who had the bulb for cervix dilation - which was educational for me, since I hadn't heard of such device (not in the club anymore for researching labor techniques). Did her and the father of the baby ever get along ? I just don't see two hot horny teens who had wild sex and created a child. Both act like they don't give a damn about each other - esp. the guy. 

3) I do like the couple where the teen mom had trouble breast feeding. I like that the MIL seems to care and be of help. Teen father seems to care. What happened to her mother - she still in shock of being an early grandmother and doesn't want to be involved ?

4) which brings me to the grandmother who is working herself  ( I do agree on the burger king outfit) into a early grave raising kids.  She needs to set limits and boundaries on her assistance. She raised the teen dad, now she is raising the great-granddaughter and  she might be possibly raising another grand a generation later. What the deal with the mom - that she can't raise her own children?  And where is the dad-to-be -surely he's not a teen? Does he not have any financial resources ?  I mean by 30+ you learn not to layup with a broke deadbeat guy...  

5) Last week I thought I heard the grandmom say " before the pregnancy they were afraid to walk into the bedroom - when the teen and the guy were in there"... Now, post pregnancy they are not afraid b/c I guess they are in opposite corners of the room, as the guy appears to be losing interest. Who allows teens to be alone behind closed doors - when you are 20ft away ???  Listening for tips and new techniques ? I mean sounds like they didn't have to sneak around - grandma/mom lets them have the room to themselves... Its one thing to get pregnant but its another when you make date-sex night convenient..  I mean if you are that grown - then you need to get your own place..

6) during the 1st episode (which I seem to always miss) do the couples tell just what happened to the lack of birth control in 2020? Do they at least say it failed, it broke, didn't know pregnancy would happen the 1st time, forgot to pull out, ovulation predictor/period app  was incorrect , wanted a baby? Surely these couple didn't think a baby would keep them together..🍿

playing catch-up again... all of the babies have been born right ?

Which now that we get to hear how hard it is taking care of a newborn - again not sure why this is news. And  yes - the teen dads get jobs, but they are not the jobs that are going to last or be long-term sustaining.

Did all of the moms finish HS ?  I know about the one in college.

Anybody know the backstory on these couples ? 

Does this series do a reunion - like 1-2 years later? If so, I hope someone shares lessons learned. Sounds like a grandparents (charlie?) marriage is going through a tough time, possibly because of all of a unexpected baby...

Edited by sATL
On 4/27/2021 at 1:24 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

I thought exactly the same thing. The tired, working late thing... hmm. 

I get a strange vibe from Ethan. He seems like the everybody's best friend type guy. He just seems very detached and emotionless in the talking head parts. Very matter of fact: "So taking care of a baby is stressful." Not seeing any sort of passion for a teen romance even pre-baby. 

I wonder how much stress Ethan's father put on his own parents when he became a teen father. Welp, now it's his turn. If all the stresses have driven him to have an affair, then he's a total low life. 

I'm actually a bit surprised this show is still on. From the paltry number of comments here, it's clearly not a ratings bonanza. That is a little unfortunate because it is better presented than the Teen Mom shows in my opinion. I just wish it didn't take 10 episodes for all the babies to be born. First episode should be a backstory of the couple, the next few should be an intro to the family dynamics, 4-5 should be all the babies being born, and the rest should show the major stresses of parenting an infant. Instead we hear the same thing every week about how hard it's going to be. It's like going into an echo chamber until the kids are acutally born.

Edited by configdotsys
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

One of those no good deed goes unpunished. They take in Merka and baby and now this...

Right? This show makes me even MORE pro-abortion (not merely pro-choice), particularly in the case of pregnant teens. Jesus! I loved when she (I forget Myrka's baby Daddy's Mom's name) admitted that now she understands where Myrka's Mom was coming from when she took the stance of "I want nothing to do with this baby....she shouldn't be having it and it will ruin her life". I have twin 16-year-olds right now and one has a boyfriend; I have told her in no uncertain terms that there I will not accept any babies in this house. I did my time with the sleep deprivation (and times two, it was particularly hellish) and REFUSE to have a screaming baby in my household ever again. (I'm not that harsh...wanted to spare her feelings, so didn't put it exactly that way, but she got the gist). I chose to have my kids and was married, in my 30s, and prepared...and it was still horrible in the beginning w/the hormonal upheaval and lack of sleep. I don't want my daughters ruining their lives in their teens (and, by extension, mine if I allowed them to live here w/the baby/babies).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

I thought exactly the same thing. The tired, working late thing... hmm. 

I get a strange vibe from Ethan. He seems like the everybody's best friend type guy. He just seems very detached and emotionless in the talking head parts. Very matter of fact: "So taking care of a baby is stressful." Not seeing any sort of passion for a teen romance even pre-baby. 

I wonder how much stress Ethan's father put on his own parents when he became a teen father. Welp, now it's his turn. If all the stresses have driven him to have an affair, then he's a total low life. 

I'm actually a bit surprised this show is still on. From the paltry number of comments here, it's clearly not a ratings bonanza. That is a little unfortuante because it is better presented than the Teen Mom shows in my opinion. I just wish it didn't take 10 episodes for all the babies to be born. First episode should be a backstory of the couple, the next few should be an intro to the family dynamics, 4-5 should be all the babies being born, and the rest should show the major stresses of parenting an infant. Instead we hear the same thing every week about how hard it's going to be. It's like going into an echo chamber until the kids are acutally born.

Yes to all of this!

There may not be many comments on this forum, but I know SO many women (most of us are in our 40s or older) who watch this show. I'm just the only one of us who tends to comment on message boards. :)

• Love 4
On 4/27/2021 at 11:16 AM, heatherchandler said:

So, are we thinking that Ethan's dad has a girlfriend?

I don't know.  I will say that if he is genuinely working an extra job to support the new family, I have a lot of questions as to why they threw that crazy expensive baby shower.  I'm assuming that if this article is correct and the cast is only earning $425 per episode ( https://starcasm.net/reanna-taron-reportedly-cut-tlc-unexpected-season-4/ ) then there is no way TLC paid for the gender reveal party.  And if I'm remembering correctly, was that the one with fireworks and dancers and chair covers?  If they are truly needing a second job to pay for an over the top gender reveal party for a pregnant teenager, then they have made some spectacularly bad choices in life.  I'd almost hope for a girlfriend over that level of stupidity, except Ethan's mom seems pretty nice and I had a lot of sympathy for her tonight, especially when she said she started to understand how Myrka's mom felt and why she was unsupportive of the teenage pregnancy.

• Love 5

I also feel like this show is better presented and a little more "honest" than Teen Mom, and especially since they won't be on multiple seasons there isn't the likelihood of them becoming celebrities/influencers so there's no chance of extreme wealth to "bail them out" later, especially since they earn so little per episode as it is...

That being said, the main reason I watch is because to me ultimately the shows are about communication, or the lack thereof, and what NOT to do in relationships. I wish there would be a competent therapist to discuss what's happening with the new moms and dads (TO or with them), after an episode, to try and break the teen mom cycle AND give them a chance at having functional relationships in their lives, which only helps these poor babies born into these situations. Jenna's mom speaking truths about Jenna needing her own life (and self-esteem) is what I mean.

But please start with Tyra and Alex!

• Love 6

Having a newborn is exhausting. Three of these young women Myrka, Lilly and Jenna are so lucky to be living rent-free in nice homes with few other responsibilities than taking care of their newborns. Would be interesting to see all in their own places trying to cope. Glad these innocent babies have good family support, these teen moms are lucky.

• Love 5

It seems like all Merkin is worried about is if Ethan’s dad is going to keep any financial promises he made. It’s not enough that they took her in like she was their own child. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mr. Miner said:

It seems like all Merkin is worried about is if Ethan’s dad is going to keep any financial promises he made. It’s not enough that they took her in like she was their own child. 

Merkin 😂 I did roll my eyes at all that talk by the pool, but I don't think it's fair to say that's ALL she is worries about. She very clearly articulated some raw sadness about the situation in general. I was actually very impressed with and hurt for her. If she had ONLY said what she said by the pool I would see things completely differently. I do think it's ridiculous that she basically thought she was set for life (and was okay with that), but I think now she is experiencing a real fear of insecurity and trying to get out ahead of the situation. And because of the promises and her gullibility and lack of qualms with it all, she now finds herself in quite a pickle that we all (and her own mother) saw coming either way. 

ETA: I'll just put all my episode thoughts here: I really actually liked everyone this time around. I truly did. With the exception of Alex. Also was disappointed with the creepy vibe of Lawrence's controlling rant at the end about raising his son how he wants. Up to that point I can honestly say all the others, teens and parents, grew on me this time around. 

Edited by PicnicLife77
  • Love 5

I'm just now getting to this episode on the DVR and am really pleasantly surprised by Jenna. I'm equally tired of hearing Lilly screeching and saying she "can't." Maybe someone can remind her about labor before she gets pregnant again.

• Love 3