Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: White Lion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Cassie and Jenny hear that a body has been discovered on the Kleinsasser ranch and, fearing the worst, Jenny takes the investigation up a notch, but the Kleinsassers have a plan of their own. Meanwhile, Cassie teams up with Lindor to follow a hot lead on Ronald, who, suspicious that his whereabouts have been revealed, decides to do some damage control - or perhaps just damage.

158705_0494.jpg

Photo: White Lion eh, I have had my share of catfights.

158706_1039.jpg

Photo: Lawmen should never be alone with her in a basement.

158705_1086.jpg

Photo: Margaret (Coffee Creamer) Kleinasse spitting pretty.

158706_0191.jpg

Photo: Ronald (Cereal Killer) Pergman with his next victim.

Original Airdate: April 27     Tuesdays at 10pm ET       ABC 

• LOL 2
26 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

OMG!, that was a great death, Jenny you will be missed! RIP!

Did I miss something?  Do we know Jenny died? (I didn't watch the previews for next week if that is where it was revealed).  Sure, a person would be unlikely to survive that in real life, but this is TV and while they had the shock value of killing off a (perceived) main character in the first episode, I doubt that go back to that well so soon. 

So Steve (Steven?) was in the freezer, correct?  I guess Ronald's new girlfriend and the sister Goodbye Earl'ed him.  Ronald might should watch out.  The new girlfriend (her name escapes me) has already shown signs of being on the crazy side. 

I know several people have expressed that they don't care for them, but I'm beginning to kind of be interested in the Yellowstone knockoff crew. 

• Love 7

I guess I shouldn't be surprised over sudden deaths on this show anymore, but I was still surprised that Blake actually did die.  Granted, I'm sure in real life that one well-placed hit to the head with a shovel could easily do someone in, but in TV land, that's usually something a character shakes off after an episode or two (alongside such classics like a stabbing to the side, getting hit by a car, a sprained or even broken leg, and even a gunshot to the arm!)  Apparently Blake wasn't prepared for the biggest threat out there: sudden realism!

But, hey, his death now benefits Cheyenne, who sets it up to make it look like a suicide, but really is doing it so that she can hold it over John Wayne, and basically make him do her bidding when the time calls for it.  Hopefully she has some contingency plans in place as well, although to be fair, she does seem to be the smartest out of the family.  Also, Britt Robertson gets to join in on the camp by having not one, but two scenes where she literally roars like a lion (because that's her spirit animal!)  Between her, Ted Levine, Brian Geraghty, and both John Caroll Lynch and Karin Konoval during the first part of this show, they really need to have a contest to determine who is the scenery chewing champion here, complete with an award ceremony.  Oscars wouldn't have shit on that!

Okay, so Ronald ends up figuring out that his girlfriend's sister is on to him, so he resorts to his brutal ways and offs her.  But then Cassie and Mark show up and... he is somehow able to sneak past them?  While dragging a corpse?  Was there a trap door or something?  I admire his superhuman abilities to get out of situations like these.  But wait!  Cassie and Mark also find a completely different body in a cooler that seems to have been there for a while.  Twist!  I have to imagine that his the girlfriend's former husband/father of the child and I totally think she was the one that did it, because the way she told Ronald that he was out of the picture "for good" was very suspicious.  Totally thinking/hoping she's just as crazy as he his!

I swear, I like Sebastian Roche, but his attempt at Midwestern accent (I think) is somehow getting worse and worse each time he appears.

Hey, Carlos Gomez!  Always great to see him.

It looks like Jenny is finally able to get answers from this Angela character, only for a truck to literally come barreling through the hotel door.  Yeah, that's just classic Big Sky right there!

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Did I miss something?  Do we know Jenny died?

Naw, but I said Blake wouldn't be dead and he is pushing up daisies.

Now I am ready for Ronald, Scarlet and child to cut a murder path (a la Bonnie, Clyde and Baby Jane) through Montana. The family that slays together, pops all the weasels.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

If you look at your on-screen guide for next week's show, you'll know whether Jenny lives or dies. At least on DirecTV. 😆

Am I the only one who starts humming "Rocky Mountain High" every time I see Ronald?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

This show is so dumb.   And I'm really kinda disappointed in myself for continuing to watch it.   But yet I do.   

I suppose Jenny could be dead but I think she'll survive, but her butterscotch peddling informant will bite it since they were attacked just before she could reveal the damning information.  Had she gotten that out then 100% Jenny would be dead,

I knew crazy girlfriend's ex boyfriend was dead.   I'm not sure if the sister was in on it our crazy girlfriend stashed it in the freezer.  It was odd for her to call people to her home to talk about a serial killer what with a dead body chilling in her basement and all.  Then again she had a 1,000 creepy dolls all in a row so like everyone else on this embarrassing show she's probably just batshit crazy.

Cheyenne is not all that smart.  Her crazy brother has killed one man and her supposedly sane brother has killed her third brother.   And all of this, along with other assorted crimes including drug assisted rape, have been covered up.   What's to stop either or both brothers from killing her and writing off as another accident, suicide or unsolved crime.   And if she did decide to rat the other brother out, who would she do tell?   The local law enforcement clearly is no help.  

I do not like Michelle Forbes in this role.  I remember her best as Ensign Ro, a character who definitely would not put up with a fraction of this bullshit--not the weepy mess she's playing here.  I don't know if it's writing or acting or both but there's nothing generating any sympathy that I assume they want you to feel for this character that's suffered years of mental abuse.  Even though she turned her nose up at the Ensign Ro gig, I still think MF deserves better than this. 

• Love 3

I do admire Ronald for his stealth murderin' skills! He must have borrowed Harry's Cloak of Invisibility. 

That truck barreled straight *through* the motel room and kept on going. That was impressive. 

• Love 8

So the Kleinsasses have a whole field of rusty barrels, and when they open one (apparently at random), it's full of some toxic waste-type stuff that just happens to be the perfect thing to dissolve an old skeleton in. Are the other barrels full of corpse soup, or something even worse? Is this the mysterious 'business' they're hiding, and if so, why are the barrels just sitting around in the open?

Other questions:

Am I supposed to understand the White Lion reference? I googled it, and all I get is a Japanese animated movie, a 17th century British ship, and an 80's rock band 😬(headbangs to 'Radar Love'). Whatever, Cheyenne might be a match for her dumb brothers, but she better watch out for Big Daddy.

Also, why is Ronald dressed like a 12 year old from 1954? Where is he finding those Charlie Brown sweaters? Where did he get the money to buy the semi, or did he steal it?

Isn't Scarlett's kid about 5 or 6?  How many years has Scarlett been keeping Bad Boyfriend in the freezer?

Still waiting for Jerri to get something to do on this show!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

How many people have an empty freezer going full blast cold with a paddock attached. i can barely squeeze in a tub of ice cream in my freezer much less a full-grown dead body. The body-in-a-freezer is used on every tv show ever and I think that every time.

I thought the dead freezer body was the sister and Ronald stashed her there (and put on the padlock). Didn't even think about the missing father of Ronald's girlfriend's kid. I wondered how all the blood could go flying when Ronald started slashing up Sis given she was wrapped up pretty snug in a blanket. And what does one use to get soaked-in blood out of a tan couch so easily.

Jenny grabbed the police office worker and they jumped out of the way as the truck hit whatever building they were in, so they are totally okay. But yeah, cool the truck went straight through and kept going. Not sure if that was Ronald in his new ride or one of the ranch cowboys.

The doll riding shotgun with Ronald was gold, gold I tell you.

The ranch sister needs to put all she knows in some bank vault or safe somewhere for safe keeping, and let the bros know she did that because I can't think of any reason why she's not dead already. Kicking brother in the crotch doesn't stand up to being hit in the head full force with a shovel.

I completely tuned out when the marshal guy was telling his sob story. I have no idea if it relates to or will relate to any story on this show.

When taking the selfie and Ronald said the middle person dies first, I right away would have made him take the center spot for that pic.

I read all the posts above but have never heard of the actors everyone is talking about and don't know what characters they are playing on the show. Some people don't have all those streaming services, just meager antenna teevee.

I actually thought this was a pretty good ep.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Am I supposed to understand the White Lion reference?

Yes, Blake Kleinasser gave Cheyenne Kleinasser a poster of a white lion that became her spirit animal.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

But yeah, cool the truck went straight through and kept going. Not sure if that was Ronald in his new ride or one of the ranch cowboys.

Ranch Cowboy, it is Rand Kleinasser's truck.

26 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Who is this Cole person? Are we supposed to know that yet?

Yes, he is the dead body they put in the toxic barrel. Supposedly Rand Kleinasser killed him a long time ago but doesn't remember it and Blake and Horst buried him. Rand was stupid enough to keep one of the bones even after John Wayne told him not to.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

How many people have an empty freezer going full blast cold with a paddock attached. i can barely squeeze in a tub of ice cream in my freezer much less a full-grown dead body. The body-in-a-freezer is used on every tv show ever and I think that every time.

Oh! Oh! (Topic-adjacent)  You need to watch Resident Alien.  It had a short run earlier this season on Syfy (or whatever the current spelling is).  I think you can get it on the Syfy app or NBC app.  You'll wonder why you were wasting your time on this show.  (Spoken by someone who is still wasting my time on this show, so no offence to all the fans.)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Maverick said:

I do not like Michelle Forbes in this role.  I remember her best as Ensign Ro, a character who definitely would not put up with a fraction of this bullshit--not the weepy mess she's playing here.  I don't know if it's writing or acting or both but there's nothing generating any sympathy that I assume they want you to feel for this character that's suffered years of mental abuse.  Even though she turned her nose up at the Ensign Ro gig, I still think MF deserves better than this. 

Yeah I am not sure if they cast her to go against her usual type ( Ensign Ro, Admiral Cain on Battlestar Galactica, her character in BERLIN STATION ) or what but she's not cut out to be the whimpering type. Hopefully they give her a chance to show some backbone in the few remaining episodes we have left this season. 

21 hours ago, Maverick said:

Lol, I actually like her in this (truthfully I didn't realize it was her). I remember her as the ME in Homicide: Life on the Streets. I hated her character.

The best part about this episode was The Baker and the Beauty mini-reunion! It was great to see Michelle Veintimilla and Carlos Gomez - and they were playing father and daughter. My question is, do we know for sure that Blake was dead before Cheyenne pushed him over a cliff? I feel like that's a classic trope, Character B thinks Character A is dead and then stages a suicide or murder; turns out Character A wasn't dead until Character B started meddling. 

• Love 1

I’m not sure the dead body is Steven. I thought the lock looked new.  My theory is that the body is whomever Ronald had stashed in that shed.

I also wondered how Ronald got all the blood out.  There is surely a drop somewhere.    

Ronald hated his mother while she was alive, killed her and now can’t shut up about her. Girlfriend is also as odd  as he is. Her poor daughter doesn’t have a chance. 

The crazy nuclear waste ranch family and the townspeople that are either scared or worshipers are a little too much for me.  I know there are sane people in Big Sky country somewhere. 

• Love 2

I wish the show was a little more enlightening as to why everyone is so super shit-scared of the Kleinsasser family. Okay, Rand is a psycho and will murder someone for kicks. John Wayne will kill his own brother to protect that particular family secret. Cheyanne is cold-hearted enough to know what John Wayne did and use it as leverage against him instead of going to the authorities about it (while simultaneously slowly dripping info to Jenny but in a way that doesn't lead directly back to her). Pa is crazy and casual with firearms inside the house. Mom will spit in your coffee and then ask you how it is. A fucked up bunch for sure. But the amount of fear they generate isn't proportionate to what we're seeing from them, hinting at even bigger, nastier secrets. Well, if you've ever watched The Blacklist you'll know you can only drag those secrets out for so long before the audience forgets to give a shit.

Again with a character who finds out about Ronald and doesn't tell everyone who he is and then dies for it. When a psycho has you tied up and is asking you who you told about his whereabouts the correct answer is "I told everyone and they are on their way here right now". Or have something stashed away somewhere in the event of your unfortunate demise (like Legarski). Okay, if Mary was a killer herself it would make sense that she wouldn't want to call the cops but she could still call a tip line or send an anonymous email or something. And instead of saying he isn't who you think he is, try "he's on the FBI's Most Wanted list for those child abductions and murders that took place a few months ago.

I enjoyed the Terminator reference with the truck smashing through the hotel. Bonus points if the character who was driving ever told Jenny "I'll be back."

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

I enjoyed the Terminator reference with the truck smashing through the hotel. Bonus points if the character who was driving ever told Jenny "I'll be back."

I was thinking Duel when we saw the truck racing toward the hotel.  

The sister was really stupid.  Did she not look at who was at the door before she opened it?   If she saw it was Ronald, she should have just not answered and called the cops.  Even if she thought he was unaware she was on to him, what was her upside for opening the door?  Idiot.  

• Love 5

I am definitely not enjoying this half of the season.  As I said last week, there are two storylines with almost no overlap, and they don't go together at all.  Now it's going to be even worse because the two leads have split up... Cassie to hunt Ronald and Jenny to take down the Kleinsassers.  

It's ridiculous that Ronald was able to escape yet again.  Cassie and the Marshall were both at the house.  When he saw the bloody doll and was going to break down the back door, wouldn't it have made sense to have had Cassie cover the front door to make sure no one left that way?  Or out a cellar door from the basement?

Cheyenne's roaring was just cringeworthy and embarrassing.  I felt bad for the actress, I'm sure her friends will be mocking her with a roar for years to come.

There are only three episodes left... are either of the storylines going to be wrapped up?  I could see them hoping for a season 2 and letting Ronald go free.  But I wouldn't want another season of the Kleinsassers.

19 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Jenny got a name from the sister. Who is this Cole person? Are we supposed to know that yet?

They talked about him last episode... he was some teenage boy that was working as a ranch hand but then disappeared one day.  I'm not sure how Blake knew or remembered where he was buried, but Blake dug him up last episode and found his belt buckle with his name engraved on it.  He told John Wayne that he was going to reveal this, and John Wayne hit him with a shovel and killed him.  

11 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

My question is, do we know for sure that Blake was dead before Cheyenne pushed him over a cliff? I feel like that's a classic trope, Character B thinks Character A is dead and then stages a suicide or murder; turns out Character A wasn't dead until Character B started meddling. 

I think she felt for his pulse and presumably didn't find one.  Otherwise why wouldn't she have called 911 for medical assistance?  I suppose she thought she would just use his death as something else to hold over her brothers.  I found it a bit unrealistic that she was able to drag him out of the grave.  It was a deep pit and she doesn't look like she is strong enough to be able to pull him out of that pit.

10 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I’m not sure the dead body is Steven. I thought the lock looked new.  My theory is that the body is whomever Ronald had stashed in that shed.

I also wondered how Ronald got all the blood out.  There is surely a drop somewhere.    

Ronald hated his mother while she was alive, killed her and now can’t shut up about her. Girlfriend is also as odd  as he is. Her poor daughter doesn’t have a chance. 

The crazy nuclear waste ranch family and the townspeople that are either scared or worshipers are a little too much for me.  I know there are sane people in Big Sky country somewhere. 

I think it has to be whatshername's ex.  There's no plausible reason why it would be the dead girl that Ronald had the shrine to (Kelli).  This was whatshername's sister's house, there'd be no way she would have allowed him to stash a body in her freezer.  It has to be the ex, and whatshername and the sister her both in on the killing.

• Love 3

Good thing for Ronald that his new girlfriend might be just as nuts as him and she and her sister have a convenient body in the freezer to distract from his escape. Although between Ronald being somehow able to escape Cassie and Lindor while dragging a dead body around and Cheyenne's fang screeching, are we going to find out that half the characters are actually vampires? Honestly it would explain a lot. 

As soon as Ronald made his "the person in the middle of the picture is the first to die" crack I knew the sister was toast. This is why you tell people things in person, you don't call or text in ways that could get you murdered by a serial killer. That doll riding shotgun was pretty amazing, this is why I cant quit this show. It just has this moments where its ridiculousness gets so over the top it shoots the moon, comes back around, and becomes awesome. 

Jenny is fine I'm sure, she jumped out of the way of the truck just in time, but holy shit is there not an easier way to kill a person? The bad guys in this show are just so extra.

• Love 7

This show gets worse every week and is approaching near lethal hamminess. I cannot believe they had Cheyenne growl and roar in separate scenes - unironically as a supposed moment of Cool Girl Feminist Empowerment. Cringe, cringe, cringe. The secondhand embarrassment for the actress is overwhelming.

The reveal of the freezer body makes Mary's reaction to Ronald seem retrospectively out of character. You're telling me that a woman who has been casually storing the corpse of her niece's father in her basement for years is going to be trembling and whispering and cowering around a dweeb like Ronald? And then just open the door for him? She'd kill him herself. I'd be much more interested in watching a dual stalking cat-and-mouse scenario between them than watching Ronald magically Houdini away from Cassie for the 30th time.

This show really hates living love interests. Both Jenny and Cassie have dead partners and Blake lasted about 5 minutes. The show is pushing romantic undertones between Cassie and Older Sad Detective and I don't feel like they have that kind of chemistry, but at this rate I'm sure he'll drop dead after they have sex for the first time.

22 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

The best part about this episode was The Baker and the Beauty mini-reunion! It was great to see Michelle Veintimilla and Carlos Gomez - and they were playing father and daughter. 

I miss Baker & the Beauty so much!!! It was so wholesome and unique. Tbh I'd rather watch that over Big Sky.

This week, Blake is killed instantly by one shovel whack without any visible injuries or blood. Next week, Jenny is all but guaranteed to survive a semi plowing directly through her hotel room. Got it.

Nice to see Ryan Dorsey working after everything he's endured.

Overall, I doubt this will get a second season, which is a shame because I really like Kylie Bunbury and every TV show she's in gets cancelled. I don't see Big Sky breaking that streak unfortunately.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 4/28/2021 at 3:21 PM, AnimeMania said:

Yes, Blake Kleinasser gave Cheyenne Kleinasser a poster of a white lion that became her spirit animal.

Ranch Cowboy, it is Rand Kleinasser's truck.

Yes, he is the dead body they put in the toxic barrel. Supposedly Rand Kleinasser killed him a long time ago but doesn't remember it and Blake and Horst buried him. Rand was stupid enough to keep one of the bones even after John Wayne told him not to.

OK. Thanks. So grateful for this forum.

14 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

The reveal of the freezer body makes Mary's reaction to Ronald seem retrospectively out of character. You're telling me that a woman who has been casually storing the corpse of her niece's father in her basement for years is going to be trembling and whispering and cowering around a dweeb like Ronald? And then just open the door for him? She'd kill him herself. I'd be much more interested in watching a dual stalking cat-and-mouse scenario between them than watching Ronald magically Houdini away from Cassie for the 30th time.

I had the same thought but maybe Mary didn't kill Steve.  My guess is that sister killed him and Mary is helping her cover it up because sister clearly has issues.  But I am really tired of Ronald and his taser.  I wish someone would just knock it out of his hands or kick him in the groin and then pick up the taser and turn it on him.  I am ready for Ronald to be done.

• Love 5
On 4/30/2021 at 11:38 AM, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I had the same thought but maybe Mary didn't kill Steve.  My guess is that sister killed him and Mary is helping her cover it up because sister clearly has issues.  But I am really tired of Ronald and his taser.  I wish someone would just knock it out of his hands or kick him in the groin and then pick up the taser and turn it on him.  I am ready for Ronald to be done.

Agreed, I'm so tired of the Taser.  I'd love to see Cassie Taser him in the nutsack before this is all over.  I hope his storyline concludes at the end of this season, but my feeling is that he will probably escape again because the producers think he would be a good continuing villain for a potential Season 2.  The worst would be if he is still on the run at the end of this season... and then the show gets cancelled, depriving us of the chance to see Ronald brought to justice.

Book spoiler: 

Spoiler

In the books, Ronald kidnaps a child (Kyle Westergard, who the paperboy Eric Westergard from the first half of the season was loosely based on) and two women.  One to cook and one to service him.  He keeps them in line by attaching these collars to their necks.  He has these remote controls that gives him the ability to electric shock them through their collars.  There is also C4 in them and he does use it.  After a collar becomes... available... Kyle steals the collar and transmitter and secretly slips the collar into Ronald's coat pocket.  Then he detonates it.  Sayonara Ronald.

If we get deprived of a chance of seeing Ronald's fate, I will be supremely pissed and given the way this second half of the season has turned, I wouldn't be surprised if the show doesn't get renewed.

• Useful 1

Just saw that the show got renewed... so I guess if Ronald goes free at season's end it means that they shot the ending not knowing whether or not they would be renewed.  I'm hoping there will be closure.  I don't want to see another season of Ronald menacing women with his stupid Taser.

• Love 3
On 4/29/2021 at 7:50 AM, blackwing said:

I think it has to be whatshername's ex.  There's no plausible reason why it would be the dead girl that Ronald had the shrine to (Kelli).  This was whatshername's sister's house, there'd be no way she would have allowed him to stash a body in her freezer.  It has to be the ex, and whatshername and the sister her both in on the killing.

Yeah, when Scarlett was like, "Don't worry, he'll never be back. Never, ever, ever. Never,"  I was like...girl, you may as well have just said he was dead. You basically just did.

• Love 1