Type keyword(s) to search

50K Three Ways - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Tiffany references Chicago so often, and the show features so many beautiful establishing shots of wonderful Chicago locations - it puzzled me why almost all of the projects looked so boring and the settings so suburban. I decided to locate her studio, and I see that it is in Grayslake - considered a far northern suburb. (40 miles from Chicago, only 15 miles from the Wisconsin border.)

When I was growing up in the area many moons ago, it was a small town whose main attraction was the county fairgrounds.

So maybe she's not serving the demographic I was imagining.

On 7/7/2021 at 7:27 PM, kirklandia said:

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yes I live in the Chicago suburbs and all of the houses have been in the burbs, yet they keep showing the city. I think the reason kitchens are picked so often is that the other rooms are not going to cost $50,000. In some cases the rooms just need paint, new furniture and accessories. I don’t understand why every kitchen has to be gray. I also think eating at a gigantic counter is not for everyone. We have an eat in counter but my legs dangle and go numb. My husband and son are 6’7 and 6’8 so they are fine. I wouldn’t want little kids sitting so high up and it’s just easier for me to serve food and get up down from a table. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

Loved the wallpaper in the most recent episode, but by framing it they made it look like they cheap'd out. Glad to see non shaker cabinets too. Put the wall back, make the wallpaper WALLpaper and I'd say it was one of her best yet on this programme. Some actual design for once. 

Oh, and I wanted to kick the husband there for saying he wouldn't host his fantasy football draft in chairs that are pink. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Loved the wallpaper in the most recent episode, but by framing it they made it look like they cheap'd out. Glad to see non shaker cabinets too. Put the wall back, make the wallpaper WALLpaper and I'd say it was one of her best yet on this programme. Some actual design for once. 

Oh, and I wanted to kick the husband there for saying he wouldn't host his fantasy football draft in chairs that are pink. 

I liked the way Tiffany opened the kitchen to the dining room, but she didn’t turn the main floor into one huge open concept. 

I thought the husband was referring to the wallpaper because it was so floral. 

I’m not saying Tiffany isn’t talented, but she could not touch my house. Our styles don’t mesh. The kitchen with its black cabinets was too sterile and impersonal, IMO. The dining room was too vibrant and loud—I’d feel anxious in that room, not peaceful. 

Again, not saying she’s a bad designer. But my traditional/transitional style wouldn’t be compatible with her creative, riskier choices. 

And can we please see something else besides a kitchen renovation? Since 90% of the homeowners choose the kitchen reno, I’ve been fast-forwarding the episodes to watch the reveal. What if the show still renovated the kitchen but threw in a remodel of a different area just did TV?

• Love 2