Type keyword(s) to search

50K Three Ways - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It’s on in the background. So far, the first couple were super happy with their choice and her work. This next couple look shakier, but the basement is not done and there’s a puke color on the walls that Tiffany wants to put on the ceiling. So you can’t see any good color??

Ok, they’re happy. Happier than I’d be. Color still blows.

it’s here in Chicago, so we’ll see. 

Hey, at least it wasn’t modern farmhouse!

Edited by buttersister
  • LOL 1

First episode-Tiffany did a good job but only thing I do not like is the wallpaper 

Second episode-The basement is nice but I hated the gold tile backsplash, it hurts my eyes and the bright gold room is awful, I would have painted over it

• Love 1

I think the homeowners have learned from hearing people laugh about the  people who went on Trading Spaces, and other remodeling (OK destroying homes) shows.   They found out that you don't put every penny into a TV remodel, because you'll probably have to fix a lot after the show is over.   (I understand some of the Trading Spaces $1k, or $2k room redoes cost over $5k to fix, like the liquid nails glued on cardboard everything room on one of the last episodes of the original show).     Hating on a remodel is a great way to get razzed forever online. 

I like that the homeowners get to choose, and even if they already did choose off camera, I still like seeing the options, and trying to guess what they'll choose.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I really liked it. I enjoyed how the homeowners had to actually make decisions and just didn't blindly get everything they wanted. I live in the Chicago suburbs, which is why I initially tuned in.

• Love 4
On 4/26/2021 at 9:02 PM, DVDFreaker said:

First episode-Tiffany did a good job but only thing I do not like is the wallpaper 

Second episode-The basement is nice but I hated the gold tile backsplash, it hurts my eyes and the bright gold room is awful, I would have painted over it

I’d never heard of Tiffany before Rock the Block. She has a good personality for TV, but she’s one of those super-energetic people that would exhaust me IRL. 

Yeah, that wall paper was fugly. It was funny watching the home owners try to hide their disdain.But I liked the kitchen and laundry room. Oh, and the family originally had their TV mounted on the wall instead of over the fireplace, which I loved. Why did Tiffany move it over the fireplace? That is way too high. 

I liked the basement—except for the Dijon mustard-colored bedroom. Why do designers on these shows keep telling the homeowners to trust them? Even if a homeowner doesn’t have a strong sense of style, they know when they don’t like a paint color. Why can’t the designer trust them?

I like this show and look forward to more episodes.

• Love 3
On 4/28/2021 at 4:13 PM, topanga said:

I’d never heard of Tiffany before Rock the Block. She has a good personality for TV, but she’s one of those super-energetic people that would exhaust me IRL. 

I can't handle the over-the-top energy level, and it grates how her voice goes up several octaves as she enthuses about every little thing and squees over her own genius.  Every once in a while she speaks normally to an assistant or in a voiceover, and it's so much better.  I think I'm too old to appreciate her design style.  Gonna give it a couple more episodes.

• Love 2

I dislike the homeowners claiming they have to keep exactly to the budget, and then want extras that will cost thousands to do.     With the second house, I hate wallpaper, but that wasn't too bad.    Why do you put a bench in front of the fireplace?    The finished house was very pretty.   The people with the six kids, their kitchen was nice, but I really didn't like the wife demanding extra items, and then acting like Tiffany was being mean when she explained she couldn't do it.   I did not like the tile going to the ceiling over the sink, that was a waste of money. I don't understand why the wife wanted a desk with the computer in the kitchen.   I would have turned that space into a big display cabinet on top, and wood doors on the bottom. 

• Love 3

Why do people claim white kitchens (shaker only apparently) is so classic? If that was so, all of these houses would already have white cabinets. I also can't believe how high these renos are. They barely do anything and it's more than $50k!!

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why do people claim white kitchens (shaker only apparently) is so classic? If that was so, all of these houses would already have white cabinets.

My kitchen cabinets are oak. They were built in place so I guess that's custom? I dunno. All I know is that when I saw this house in 1987 I was thrilled with the oak cabinets because my table and chairs for the adjacent breakfast area are oak and I have an antique oak chest and ice box that look great with those oak cabinets. And, by the way, not all oak is "orange"--ours is actually quite lovely with a warm walnut stain. Once a year I wipe them down with Murphy's oil soap and they gleam.

• Love 5

Ship lap adds wood, not luxury, or elegance.       I loved the kitchen after, the stairs looked OK, but the shiplap?   Not a change I would have wanted, or paid for.  I would have found the money to put a half bath in the basement, without the fancy add on items that would have inflated the price more.  

• Love 3

Maybe this is practical me (who has an eye on an expensive quartz countertop), but when a budget has to stretch, isn't the idea to step back a bit on finishes rather than not upgrade something at all? Tiffany's idea (or HGTV's) seems to be spend on the highest end ideas possible in one room. Or another. At least the spread-it-around option gets at some of that.

I noticed on Inside Out, that each designer usually has to shave some bucks off their budget in order to realize the entire project. Never seems to be that big an issue. (Putting a large putting green in your front yard, otoh, is a whole other issue!🤢)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, buttersister said:

Shiplap adds elegance?! Tiffany, ask for a rewrite when you see bad voiceover copy. 

Recently watched a YouTube real estate listing tour video that had shiplap around the LR fireplace but it was painted black - IMO, it did look elegant  - ubiquitous TV/magazine reno shiplap....not so much

• Love 2

Homeowners don't get much renovation for the money in Chicago, do they? Personally, I thought the master bedroom looked better in the before than in the after. It was so dark with that deep grey paint everywhere. Even on the ceiling! Those huge bedside chandeliers were hideous. The closets and bathroom were nice, but so much staging stuff on the vanity didn't even leave room enough for a toothbrush. 🙄

• Love 3
(edited)

I agree, the bedroom was very dark, and I think it was over decorated.   They could have saved a ton with just painting, new window treatments, and flooring.     The bathroom was too fancy for my taste too, but the closet was a big improvement.    However, turning a four bedroom, into a 3 bedroom was probably a huge mistake.   If all of the neighboring homes are four bedroom, then you've cut your buying pool, and price a lot.    I would like a simpler bedroom, without all of the elaborate decorations.   I noticed the huge branch/leaf display on the vanity would block the view of the mirror.   

I think they could really scale back the finished in the dining/kitchen too, and save at least half when they redo that.   I guess that will be on season 2..   Reface, instead of replace all of the cabinets, not doing waterfall edges could save thousands.    Get regular appliances, not the professional clones, or with the extra features on appliances can save you a lot.   Just put the back splash tile from the counter top to the cabinet level, and don't do 42" cabinets will save a lot too.   I bet they could do their $50k kitchen and dining for at least $10k less than that.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I loved the dark bedroom. Why do people want so much light where they're supposed to sleep? Is this why America is so sleep deprived? 

I do think they could have spent their money in a more savvy way though. I wonder how many people will be finding out their 2nd floor is properly supported in the future?

• Love 5

I just got caught up on the episodes and like this because I live in the Chicago suburbs. I notice when they show bedrooms there is not a single picture on the walls or an item on a dresser or nightstand. I don’t know anyone who lives like that.

Many of these rooms can be updated with paint and accessories for far less than $50,000. Kitchen remodeling and adding bathrooms cost more. Just saw the kitchen remodel where the couple fell in love with the very expensive quartzite counter. I fell in love with a slab of granite that was super expensive, but by looking around I found one very similar for much less. Tiffany didn’t even suggest they might find something cheaper. I’m happy to see any decorating shows on the air, although this is mostly remodeling.

• Love 1

I would be like the couple from last night. I want this part of option 1 and that part of option 2. How much? Loved that the husband said no to the arch. Wasn't sure how that paint color was going to work in the kitchen but once all cabinets and backsplash in, you didn't see it.

• Love 3

I’m glad the couple said no to the arch, it will make the house look dated. I think the office instead of living room works well for them but might make it difficult for selling if they move. I think all of the families should get to pick and choose what they want provided it works for Tiffany and the budget. What were the bright green circles she hung in the kitchen? They looked really ugly but I couldn’t quite figure out what they were supposed to be.

• Love 1

I wondered about the green circles too.    I hated them.    I am tired of the living wall in the house decorations, and wonder how the wall is protected from the moisture?     I know I said I hated the dark kitchen ceiling before, but I really do hate it.    Why get light countertops to lighten the kitchen up, and then give it a very dark ceiling?   They could have saved a lot with tiling only up to the ceiling behind the stove exhaust vent, and then only do the other tile up to the bottom of the cabinets.       I didn't see if the office (former dining room) had French doors to close off the open end, but I would have put that up to cut down on interruptions, and noise.  

• Love 2

I don't know if the Cul de Sac couple was a new episode, but I hated that they took out what looked like very nice wood cabinets, for something that looked cheaper.    They could have moved the cabinets around, refaced them, and had the same look, and might not have needed to buy new cabinets.   They could have save thousands.   What was the point of the cubbies by the front door?   They use the garage entrance for the family, and I doubt visitors will use the cubbies at the front, a coat closet would have worked better, with nicer doors.   The one pendant light over the kitchen island was crooked, and looked terrible.   I hated the powder room wallpaper.   

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't know if the Cul de Sac couple was a new episode, but I hated that they took out what looked like very nice wood cabinets, for something that looked cheaper.    They could have moved the cabinets around, refaced them, and had the same look, and might not have needed to buy new cabinets.   They could have save thousands.   What was the point of the cubbies by the front door?   They use the garage entrance for the family, and I doubt visitors will use the cubbies at the front, a coat closet would have worked better, with nicer doors.   The one pendant light over the kitchen island was crooked, and looked terrible.   I hated the powder room wallpaper.   

Loved the wallpaper. Only thing in the whole house that had even a hint of design, let alone functionality. 

• Love 2

There were a couple of cubbies by the laundry, front loaders were stacked for extra space.   However, the front coat closet in the front door (I do mean in the door, it wasn't much of an entry) area was changed to cubbies, with enough coat hooks for three or four people, and a bench.   It was actually bigger than the family cubbies at the laundry/garage entrance. 

I really think that the homeowners pick out either a specific wall paper, or color and possible patterns.    

• Love 1

I like this show.  It reminds me of some of the older hgtv shows.  I like most of her designs and that not everything is white.  I also like that there is a design element to the show and not just focused on a remodel.

• Love 4

LOL,Tiffany dressed as the bedroom for the reveal. Really didn’t like the bathroom—hated the shower. No go with that floor. So bringing it into the large (and confusing*) closet didn’t help.

Their “minimalist” design seemed weird, unless they’d already ordered furniture for the big empty-ish rooms, but it hadn’t arrived yet. And no way were they redoing the basement without the baseball area. It not being in Tiff’s plan was a giveaway. 

*Don’t know if it was her design or the editing.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can’t believe these people lived here for years and the house looked so empty; it didn’t look lived in at all. I don’t always like Tiffany’s design but I enjoy having a decorating show on TV again. The house flipping shows are all staged so we never see them as people really live. I noticed there were no nightstands in the bedroom. I use my nightstand to put down my glasses, my book , hand cream and medication. My husband uses his for charging his phone and water. And the TV looked far away from the bed.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 5

My guess is that they already have the design that the homeowners will 'choose', and the other two are decoys.    Just getting the permits, supplies ordered, and everything else to film the remodel is gong to take a lot longer than their timeline is supposed to be.   

• Love 6
On 6/23/2021 at 8:11 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really think that the homeowners pick out either a specific wall paper, or color and possible patterns.    

They must. Because some of her style choices—wallpaper, tiles, and backsplash, for example, I find loud and busy-looking. But if the home owners actually chose them, then that’s fine. 

And gray kitchen cabinets have become the latest trend. They might look really nice IRL, but on TV, they usually make the kitchens look dark and drab. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, topanga said:

They must. Because some of her style choices—wallpaper, tiles, and backsplash, for example, I find loud and busy-looking. But if the home owners actually chose them, then that’s fine. 

And gray kitchen cabinets have become the latest trend. They might look really nice IRL, but on TV, they usually make the kitchens look dark and drab. 

I loved the kitchen with the gray cabinets.  But then I painted mine gray five years ago and it transformed my kitchen.  I think that designers are getting back to trying to get some color other than white back in kitchens, and I love that.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, alexa said:

I loved the kitchen with the gray cabinets.  But then I painted mine gray five years ago and it transformed my kitchen.  I think that designers are getting back to trying to get some color other than white back in kitchens, and I love that.  

I’m sure they look great. I just don’t think they pop on TV—maybe it’s just my television. LOL 

• Love 1

The family who chose an over-trendy gymnasium (they'd call it kitchen/dining room/family room/every public area) over a wonderful backyard were morons. They had a huge eat in kitchen with a connected family already, plus a lovely large dining room. What a waste of money. This show is really hurting any design creds Tiffany once had. 

1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

The family who chose an over-trendy gymnasium (they'd call it kitchen/dining room/family room/every public area) over a wonderful backyard were morons. They had a huge eat in kitchen with a connected family already, plus a lovely large dining room. What a waste of money. This show is really hurting any design creds Tiffany once had. 

I agree that their prior kitchen and dining room were fine. I would have loved to see the renovated backyard—although I would have skipped the water feature. It looked like it would attract bugs.

I hate that 90% of people on the snow renovate their kitchens. It gets boring, and I don’t always like Tiffany’s choices in tile, backsplash, cabinets, etc. 

• Love 2

I did like the wood 'kitchen wrap' Tiffany added to the island in last night's episode, but hated the dark blue backsplash tile. The tile was okay, but not with the dark gray cabinetry.

• Love 3
(edited)

My guess is that long before they start filming, the budget, and what they're going to change was already decided on.   I'm sure with getting supplies, permits, and buying furniture, and other items, there is no way that any decisions are made by at the time of filming, except the demo starting. 

I really disliked the blue back splash tile, especially the needless expense of going all the way to the ceiling with the tile.   They would have saved a bundle putting up to the ceiling only around the vent hood.    The grey cabinets were great, but not with the blue.       I didn't like the fancy corners on the island counter top.    I think the back splash tile should have been much more neutral, maybe a light grey or white with a lot of texture. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really disliked the blue back splash tile, especially the needless expense of going all the way to the ceiling with the tile.   They would have saved a bundle putting up to the ceiling only around the vent hood.    The grey cabinets were great, but not with the blue.       I didn't like the fancy corners on the island counter tip.    I think the back splash tile should have been much more neutral, maybe a light grey or white with a lot of texture. 

That kitchen was hideous with those dark grey cabinets and dark blue tile, along with the fancy (sharp looking!) counter top corners that appeared like they'd be dangerous for both children and adults to run into.

Does anyone else think Tiffany's renovations are over priced? Maybe labor, materials, and furnishings cost more in the Chicago area, but homeowners don't seem to get a lot for the money.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I think sometimes it is hard to spend so much on a yard, as most people use their house more.  Doing the kitchen makes such a difference, that I can understand why it is often chosen.  

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, alexa said:

I think sometimes it is hard to spend so much on a yard, as most people use their house more.  Doing the kitchen makes such a difference, that I can understand why it is often chosen.  

I understand that IF your kitchen isn't great. But they had a great kitchen already. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I understand that IF your kitchen isn't great. But they had a great kitchen already. 

I didn’t think they had a very good kitchen….I think the reno was well worth it, but that is my opinion.  If it were me, the yard would not be where all of that money would go.  I guess I am just feeling differently about this show than others.  I have liked many of the finished designs.