Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Gladys

Also, here's how I got that Gladys's murder was, indeed an "inside job" (thank you Dog Shooting Maniac) -- none of Gladys's tormentors spoke, and I'm sorry, but that seems incredibly unlikely. If Gladys was killed as retribution for the GR's deeds, there would have been taunting aplenty. Name calling, ,particularly when she started speaking. For a crowd gone wild enough to brutally, hideously murder someone, no way do they all hold their tongues while delivering what they believe to be justice.

But here's the thing, having figured that part out (or I think I have), I can't for the ever-living (and really challenged) sense and reason of my sanity figure out why they would kill her. What do they get out of it?

Good point, stillshimpy, about the stone throwers being silent. I missed that.

Based on the looks exchanged between Patti and Gladys, I'm guessing she was likely stoned/murdered because (a) she had lost faith in the GR, and/or (b) they knew it would screw with the non-GR townspeople.

Not to keep jumping on the comparisons to Lost, but narrative wise, having some character flashbacks would be extremely useful. Especially when you main character doesn't *talk* in the show-present.

This seems so obvious, now that you mention it, ganesh, I expect they will have done this in later episodes this season--unless the Show PTB just want to screw with us the way the GR screw with the folks of Mapleton. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Bringing in the scene where the chief is presented with the divorce papers completely lacks context though without the viewers having some inkling of the state of their marriage prior. 

I just don't buy that churches like Jameson's would suddenly become empty after an event like this.

I sort of assumed that the shenanigans with the flyers of missing loved ones exposing their wrongdoings turned off a lot of people, perhaps that's how his church went under?

I kind of hate jill.  I think i'm supposed to feel bad for her because her mom basically abandoned her, her brother is who-knows-where, and her only adult authority figure isn't around much. But i can't help it, i hate her.  Is it the acting, maybe?  She's pretty one-note.  All i see is obnoxious, sullen teen rebellion and i want to throw something at my tv every time she's on it.  Why don't I have any sympathy for her?  I think it must be the acting.

I keep waiting for Kevin to have improper (and presumably illegal) relations with Jill's best friend.  I don't know how Jill has friends.

Am I the only one who thought the GR broke into Kevin's house and stole all his white shirts?  Why hasn't this occurred to him?  Poor dry-cleaner dude.  

• Love 2

Am I the only one who thought the GR broke into Kevin's house and stole all his white shirts?  Why hasn't this occurred to him?  Poor dry-cleaner dude.

That was my first thought as well (along with the security system being all messed up) but I think a few months passed between episodes. I'm not even sure why I think that now but I think they are well past new years when the stoning takes place. I doubt he wouldn't notice the shirts/security system for that long. Am I wrong? Does this episode take place just after X-mas? Or maybe they broke in again at a later date?

I keep asking myself why I continue to watch this show.  The same reason I keep watching Walking Dead: the premise has me hooked and won't let go, and this alone has drastically dialed up my tolerance for poor writing/acting.  I think that's the only way I can explain it.  

Not to keep jumping on the comparisons to Lost, but narrative wise, having some character flashbacks would be extremely useful. Especially when you main character doesn't *talk* in the show-present.

Normally, I would agree, but with Lindeloff we'd get a flashback of Laurie falling off her bicycle when she was 8 and getting a scar on her knee, as though that explained everything.  

• Love 1

That was my first thought as well (along with the security system being all messed up) but I think a few months passed between episodes.

From what I remember, aren't they all still dressed pretty warmly in this episode?  I got the impression it was cold, but I guess I don't have a great grasp of time when I watch this show.  

The man wrote Tropic Thunder for god's sake so it's criminal that all people know him for is dating Jennifer Aniston.

I first read this as "It's criminal that he dates Jennifer Aniston", which, YES.

The biggest mystery for me: Why wasn't the bag for Neil set on fire? I mean, obviously.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2
I sort of assumed that the shenanigans with the flyers of missing loved ones exposing their wrongdoings turned off a lot of people, perhaps that's how his church went under?

Especially since they showed a scene at church where he gave a horrible sermon. This seems most likely to me. I can't even speculate on the state of religion because we haven't seen other churches. 

I don't know how Jill has friends.

Even her own friend tells her to knock it off. I don't think the chief is that bad of a parent either. 

The same reason I keep watching Walking Dead: the premise has me hooked and won't let go, and this alone has drastically dialed up my tolerance for poor writing/acting.

I watch TWD because I do get a sense of the state of the world. They do some stupid stuff, and people act stupidly but at least something is going on. 

• Love 1

Could someone give me their best crack at what the GR is about?  I have ideas, but can't quite piece it all together into something that I think would attract a mass following.  It's this giant question mark and I actually find them so puzzling it's distracting/annoying.  The way this series is going, I just don't think there's going to be any big revelation about their..uh...mission.  It is possible that the writers don't know what their about either, I suppose.  Anyone? Anyone?

Michell, in the next episode thread we're discussing that right now, but I'm mentioning it here because apparently in supplemental videos (behind-the-scene, talking heads with the show-runners) they do explain what the GR believes.  So they have a pretty firm idea, but they sure aren't conveying that here on the show, in my opinion.