Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Gone Smooth

On the surface, it does raise questions about why the Master has come to New York. But (and not to unduly harp on this), if you look at it as an update of Bram Stoker's Dracula (starting after the scenes with Jonathan at the castle in Transylvania), it follows that story's plot that he arranged to be brought to a distant shore on a ship/plane of the dead. So along those lines, he has come from his European stronghold to find fresh blood in a more densely populated place.

Perhaps they fell off in unison. A package deal, if you will.

It occurs to me that this isn't something that has ever happened on television before. The falling-off of genitalia into a toilet, I mean. And to acknowledge its originality, it could use a catchy name for when it becomes commonplace and ascends to trope status. So, how about:

• The Junk Dunk

• Jewels in the Pool

• Abandon Ship!

• Seasoning the Soup

• Torpedoes Away

• Synchronized Dive

• The Old Alka-Seltzer

• Frontal Lobotomy

• Sewer Sausage

• Love 7

IMDb lists Kevin Durand as 6'6".  His stature works well for Fet and he's bringing a sense of humor.

I remember him from Lost and from X-Men: Wolverine.

I remember him from Touching Evil, and Lost. I liked his character here.

One thing that bothers me is something I saw mentioned on the IMDB boards: why would they want to kill off their whole source of food? "Let's destroy the world!" and then what?

• Love 1

Of course, it may be that the urges the parasites cause in the master vampire and his underlings aren't rational or concerned with eventual consequences. Certainly the living victims' acceptance of the physical changes they're undergoing indicates some weird psychology going on.

• Love 2

Or why they just didn't arrive in Toronto, and be done with the NYC pretense. Which must be a pain in the neck for the location people.

Two cop shows filmed in Canadia, Motive and Rookie Blue, don't explicitly pretend to be somewhere else, but you've got to watch carefully for signs of where they do take place.

Orphan Black anyone? And everything else you said, regarding that weird assumption that Americans won't watch if it's not set in the U.S. You know, like Downton Abbey. Or Westeros.

• Love 1

I think there's an incredible energy about a city like New York that lends itself well to a character driven show such as this. I'm not saying it has to be the go to location every time, but few other cities offer that in my opinion. Just the diversity of people/socio economics/religions etc is vast and incredible and probably a tad more than you'd get in say, Berlin/random European city/Vancouveronto etc. Just my fifty cents.

I think that New York is a great city if they intend to show how a diverse group of people cope with the infection. Also, the city is the perfect place for the infection to spread without attracting a lot of attention initially. So many people go missing everyday and the cops spend so much time harassing the poor and minorities, half of the white working and middle class could be infected before the authorities noticed. It would hard to sell this happening in an European city or even Canada.

They do, actually. That's actually the final way the husband protects his family from the monster he's becoming. He eats the dogs but sends his wife and kids away out of fear he'll eat them too. He then chains himself up in the garage, where Eph, Nora and Abe find and slay him.

Thanks for the info. 

Every time anything re: Eph family drama comes on I reach for my nearest device. Just seems like such a time suck and I can't find a single fuck to give.

Just wait until Eph has to sacrifice himself to kill the Big Bad Vampire whilst saving the human race and rescuing said family including Mom's new boyfriend in the process.  There will be a big tearful speech from Eph about how he should have been there for wife and son but "Now you see why his job is so important!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Said son will then idolize his Dad forever and take up the cause when he grows up because some vampires will have escaped and someone will have to wield Abraham's cool-ass sword.

Sorry, Mom's new boyfriend, no game-room is ever going to compete with that ish...

• Love 1

Has anyone else commented on the disgusting title for this episode?  Every time I see the title of this thread I get a little grossed out.

Didn't comment in the thread but had an internal "ewww" every time I saw it.

• Love 1

They had been re-running episodes on FX on Friday nights, so check the schedule. You can also download the FX app and watch it on there, if all of these promoted ads on my Twitter are to be believed.

That explains why the billionaire wants to import them, though I imagine there are plenty of billionaires in Europe who also want immortality.

It doesn't explain why the vampires want to travel to New York.

Originally I had thought the eclipse was why the Master needed to come to NYC.  Like aligning of spacial bodies enabled the viral epidemic or something.  The promos talked up the eclipse, but apart from the heavy eclipse mentions in the pilot, there's been nothing.  Later, the meeting between Eichurst and Setrakian and then Palmer and Master made it seem as though the Master had been unable to move about freely for some time.  As though something was preventing him and only a human with considerable means would be able to get the ball rolling.  

How is that Sean Astin has only ever been good in a single role? I truly don't get it. It's like he was born to be a hobbit. Anything else is just too different from his actual personality to pull off.

This show is mind-blowingly awful. Except for some of the interiors. The set designers have chops. Which is to be expected, I suppose, when Guillermo del Toro is involved. As cheesy as most of his movies have been, he's always had brilliant concept artists.

He's the next generation of David Lynch, another high concept guy disinterested in such pedestrian notions as character development and plot coherence. At least going by this show so far and Twin Peaks. Thinking more about it, the leverage used to turn the Sean Astin character has to be the weakest ever (if you don't betray humanity, your sick wife won't get into a drug trial). Though coincidentally on last week's Longmire, somebody used a competitively weak one (threat to deputy: if you don't let my son out, your father will lose business!)  to get Branch out of lockup.

If these small-beer threats weren't so successful it would be harder to move the plots along. But they just shout "device" and feel like they were concocted by George Costanza.

They had been re-running episodes on FX on Friday nights, so check the schedule. You can also download the FX app and watch it on there, if all of these promoted ads on my Twitter are to be believed.

Ok the ads on your Twitter can be believed.  For some reason going to FX and logging in under my cable company brought up the full episodes.

That being said, I see I did not miss much.  The comments here are much more interesting than the actual show. 

Is the Rat Bite girl going to turn into a vampire now?

And when Eph went to the little girl who "came home"  house and then left, it showed her peaking out from one of the rooms. Isn't she suppose to be sensitive to light?  It seemed pretty light in there for her to be hanging out.

So did the Hobbit pay someone off to get his wife on the list?  Or did the Vampire assistant (who is a vampire?) do that?  (Ok I made a Michael Jackson comment in that last sentence and then decided to take it out)

Never mind it doesn't matter.......

I think that New York is a great city if they intend to show how a diverse group of people cope with the infection. Also, the city is the perfect place for the infection to spread without attracting a lot of attention initially. So many people go missing everyday and the cops spend so much time harassing the poor and minorities, half of the white working and middle class could be infected before the authorities noticed. It would hard to sell this happening in an European city or even Canada.

Thanks for the info. 

As a European (Brit), I have to disagree, London, for example is extremely diverse.

• Love 1

As a European (Brit), I have to disagree, London, for example is extremely diverse.

As a Canadian, I agree with your disagreement, since Toronto (where the show is shot, fergawdsakes) is extremely diverse.

But to be fair, it's probably just keeping faith with the "books", assuming they were set in New York.

• Love 1

I really hope now that the show is done with the world building and the CDC team now knows the truth about the "vampirism" disease that the real action can get started. I want some cool well choreographed violent vampire slaying.

I was thinking about the old wealthy guy who helped the master in return for becoming a vampire. I wonder if he would still want to be a vampire if he saw how gross the Nazi looked without the make up and prosthetics. 

Does anyone know if the vampire kill dogs and other animals? Because I am worried about the German Shepard that was growling at that guy. 

It never fails...all humanity could be in danger and some people are worried about a dog LOL

• Love 3

Regarding the "single splash" controversy - I figured the doctor's reaction earlier meant that he had already lost something. But the final result reminded me of Phoebe Bufay discussing Ken's "smooth area."

Best part of the episode - no big bad in the brown bathrobe!

DVRing improves this show somewhat because you can FF through the family scenes. This is so plodding and the CDC people, and everybody else, is so slow on the uptake you can watch it at 2X and lose nothing.

It's funny that they are so specific about the address of each scene when it's filmed 500 miles away. I've been trying to catch signs of Toronto without luck so far. Toronto is helpfully generic. They do a good job keeping the exterior shots tight. I think I spotted a message "centre" sign.

I like Setrakian and the rat guy. Everybody else is a moron. You look like death--maybe you should go back to bed!

Or the classic how do you feel, you don't look so good. I'm fine! Why do people who are obviously very sick say they are fine? Tired tropes.

A show a couple of years ago, maybe The Event, began with a pilot crashing his commercial jet into a Presidential compound in FL killing all those aboard of course and plenty of people on the ground. Because, they had my family! Holding family members hostage is the cheapest trick in the book and is the laziest plot device going. Hey, I had no choice! In this case the hobbit assists in the takeover of all humanity so his wife can get into a cancer trial. Just once I'd like to see a character say f*ck you, there's a greater good here and I won't give in to your blackmail, then go to police. But that won't be this show.

Also what gives these sick dudes like the pilot, superhuman strength? One bonk from a fire extinguisher should do the trick but no, it takes several.

Sounds like you're really getting nothing from the show. I wonder why you're watching.

Even with shows that I hate-watch, I could never FF through them. Do you really do that? What are you FFing to? Blood? Gore? Sex scenes? More vampire stuff?

There's more to shows than just action. But, to each their own! 

On the contrary, I usually FF through action scenes because they don't advance the plot. I FF through gore if I'm quick enough with the remote. This show lingers on it and I'm not interested. I FF through car and foot chases on police shows--either they catch the guy or they don't. It saves time and you don't lose anything. I think they just put those scenes in to fill up time--it's one less minute they have to think up plot for.

In this case though it's the family therapy scenes that don't add anything I think. NYC is about to be taken over by giant vampire overlords who rule an army of zombies, and they have these long scenes with parents squabbling with a family counselor. I realize Lord Bludenstein is about to take over the world but really, I can't be late for another one of these sessions, or my visitation rights will be curtailed for sure! Wha?

FFing is a symptom. As I get more annoyed by a show I FF more and more until I stop. I haven't quite reached that point yet with this show. Anyway snarking is part of the reason we are here. (Or not? That was basis of the old TWoP.)

I don't hate everything. Defiance for example is great which gives hope that sci-fi shows don't have to be awful. With that show I do the opposite of FF--I rewind and rewatch scenes.

Edited by fauntleroy

Mod Note: Please remember to snark on the show and not other posters. Negative opinions are welcomed at PTV as equally as positive ones. I'm leaving the above in thread as an example; but comments such as "I wonder why you're watching" are not acceptable and any future remarks like that will result in the post being deleted and possible further action being taken.

Thank you.

On the contrary, I usually FF through action scenes because they don't advance the plot. I FF through gore if I'm quick enough with the remote. This show lingers on it and I'm not interested. I FF through car and foot chases on police shows--either they catch the guy or they don't. It saves time and you don't lose anything. I think they just put those scenes in to fill up time--it's one less minute they have to think up plot for.

In this case though it's the family therapy scenes that don't add anything I think. NYC is about to be taken over by giant vampire overlords who rule an army of zombies, and they have these long scenes with parents squabbling with a family counselor. I realize Lord Bludenstein is about to take over the world but really, I can't be late for another one of these sessions, or my visitation rights will be curtailed for sure! Wha?

FFing is a symptom. As I get more annoyed by a show I FF more and more until I stop. I haven't quite reached that point yet with this show. Anyway snarking is part of the reason we are here. (Or not? That was basis of the old TWoP.)

I don't hate everything. Defiance for example is great which gives hope that sci-fi shows don't have to be awful. With that show I do the opposite of FF--I rewind and rewatch scenes.

I got you. Thanks for the reply. And sorry about my tone. Mod, I'll make sure it doesn't happen again.

I like Defiance, also, Fauntleroy.

I guess I'm the opposite of you. I'm an obsessive Rewinder! I watch most shows with the captioning on just so I don't miss anything. In fact, when Ansel (sp) was about to drink that lovely bloody juice from the steak, the CC said: (Whispers) Ansel...drink...

If I hadn't had the subtitles on I don't think I would have caught it.

At any rate, I'm excited by the show. Can't wait to watch tonight. Sure, it has some dumb stuff, like the family stuff you mentioned, but I figure that's their attempt to humanize the characters.

Thanks, again, sorry for my "Hey, dude," attitude on my first post.

• Love 2

I cannot believe that an amazing actor like Regina King is merely an afterthought on show. She should be one of the members of the CDC team, maybe their boss.

Seeing Regina in such a nothing role reignites the hatred I had for TNT following the cancellation of Homeland and Leverage. Please, someone. Put this fabulous actress in a show that is great, a hit and showcases her talents to the fullest.

I also echo the stop with the wigs call. It is distracting.

They made Nora into such stupid whining little b*tch... She is doctor, she saw that almost all organs are dead. Then she cries and do this: "we cure people not kill them" act. Why main woman character is so stupid?! No wonder feminists in US go ape shit all the time with such pop culture *snip*

Edited by SilverStormm
Please see PM sent by mod.
  • Love 1

Still binge-watching the show to catch up for Season 2, So I haven't had a lot of time to think about it, but before I read this thread, it never really occurred to me to wonder why it took place in New York. Now, though... I can't stop wondering if The Master is going to climb the Empire State Building.