Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Cave Cockroaches

• Start Topic

Genevieve decides to put herself out there and gets an unexpected result. Meanwhile, Drea and Matilda reunite, and Nicholas discovers the meaning of unconditional love.

Airdate: April 22, 2021

This show does a good job of covering three stories while weaving in and out the characters.

I'd forgotten that Genevieve ended last season trying standup. Youtube videos seem like the natural progression. I didn't think Alex sounded sincere either. Nicholas's mom telling her to dial back the crazy lol. Nice to see Barb again.

Drea's back! So Matilda and Drew agree to be girlfriends without sex and Matilda is free to have casual, safe sex with guys. Sounds like a plan.

Nicholas has unconditional love for Alex doing lunges with milk jugs but Alex doesn't love Nicholas's self-centeredness. I feel you there, Alex. Nicholas would be exhausting to be in a relationship with. He is good with the girls though. I liked his conversations with Genevieve.

• Love 3

Genevieve's YouTube video was cute, and it even led to her possibly meeting a new boy? The show always does a good job of giving everyone a lot to do without it feeling busy, especially now that everyone is inside. 

I am glad that Drea is back, I like her a lot and she and Matilda are really cute. They found a way to make things for work them.

• Love 2

Genevieve's video was cute. Both of the videos were, I am glad she is getting some positive feedback for what she posted. She seems like an unlikely stand-up comedian, but she is funny.

I'm liking Drea and Matilda's unconventional relationship.

I have never really gotten what Alex sees in Nicholas. He seems like a terrible boyfriend. He does make me laugh though, with his whole comment about how he may not have asked about his parents for two weeks, but he's asking now.

• Love 1

Alex could have asked for what he wanted, though, instead of just waiting for Nicolas to offer it. I know it seems fairly obvious that "how are you doing?" is a thing people ask each other after getting news that upsets them, but I actually had a partner who hated being asked, and asked me to wait for her to come to me when she was ready to talk. She liked to process things on her own first, and interpreted my default behavior to ask her as being smothering. A lot of conflict was ended when we figured out what each of us wanted. It wasn't hard to do, we just needed to tell each other. 

Nicolas clearly adores Alex and DOES care. He's just someone who needs you to tell him what you want, and not expect him to read your mind or follow conventions. 

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Alex could have asked for what he wanted, though, instead of just waiting for Nicolas to offer it. I know it seems fairly obvious that "how are you doing?" is a thing people ask each other after getting news that upsets them, but I actually had a partner who hated being asked, and asked me to wait for her to come to me when she was ready to talk. She liked to process things on her own first, and interpreted my default behavior to ask her as being smothering. A lot of conflict was ended when we figured out what each of us wanted. It wasn't hard to do, we just needed to tell each other. 

Nicolas clearly adores Alex and DOES care. He's just someone who needs you to tell him what you want, and not expect him to read your mind or follow conventions. 

He could have asked for what he wanted, but I think he didn't want to have to ask. Which isn't totally fair, but I still get it.

It just seems like Alex gets mad at Nicholas a lot, for Nicholas just being himself. Nicholas is not a bad guy, but not everyone can be in a relationship with that type of person.

• Love 2

This show is just so delightful.

Genevieve's plot was great. Matilda & Drea are awesome as always, and this season continues to have Nicholas be less narcissistic than the first season. Now that I heard that article about how Josh Thomas got an autism diagnosis, you can definitely see that in Nicholas - I wonder if they will write it into the show? If they do, I wonder if Genevieve will have a plot like "I wonder if I have autism but it was just missed because everyone was focused on Matilda?" which tbf would be a thought a neurotypical sibling would have, I imagine.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, bros402 said:

Genevieve's plot was great.

I think Genevieve is my favorite character on tv right now. She's funny, she's smart, she's kind and thoughtful. She knows how and when to help Matilda, she knows how to handle Nicholas. And (shallow) she's adorable and has gorgeous hair. The actress (Maeve Press) is listed on IMDB as a writer on three episodes and also "youngest comic ever to perform at Boston's Women in Comedy Festival (two years in a row)." 

"Do you guys want to see my video? I didn't make it. It's the movie Moulin Rouge." That cracked me up.

One thing I hate on tv shows is when someone is on the phone and another person keeps talking to them. When Alex was reading and Nicholas kept talking - as if Alex could read and listen at the same time - I really admired his restraint. He did lose it a little over the towels, but I'm concerned that he's just going to blow one of these days.  He needs to understand that Nicholas needs to be told "I'm reading right now - can you leave me alone for ten more minutes?" or "I need to talk about the divorce." We'd all like to believe that our loved one would just understand what we need, but that's not always true. And it's certainly not true of Nicholas.

The acting on this show is so good.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I think Genevieve is my favorite character on tv right now. She's funny, she's smart, she's kind and thoughtful. She knows how and when to help Matilda, she knows how to handle Nicholas. And (shallow) she's adorable and has gorgeous hair. The actress (Maeve Press) is listed on IMDB as a writer on three episodes and also "youngest comic ever to perform at Boston's Women in Comedy Festival (two years in a row)." 

"Do you guys want to see my video? I didn't make it. It's the movie Moulin Rouge." That cracked me up.

One thing I hate on tv shows is when someone is on the phone and another person keeps talking to them. When Alex was reading and Nicholas kept talking - as if Alex could read and listen at the same time - I really admired his restraint. He did lose it a little over the towels, but I'm concerned that he's just going to blow one of these days.  He needs to understand that Nicholas needs to be told "I'm reading right now - can you leave me alone for ten more minutes?" or "I need to talk about the divorce." We'd all like to believe that our loved one would just understand what we need, but that's not always true. And it's certainly not true of Nicholas.

The acting on this show is so good.

I love all of these characters - I am a huge fan of Matilda because she is honestly the best portrayal of autism I have seen. Period.

It's so lovely to see a realistic portrayal of autism after stuff like The Good Doctor (which is a great hatewatch) - last seasons finale felt rather realistic with Matilda's sensory overload in NYC.

• Love 2

I love the cast, but every time I see Maeve Press I can’t help but think if Hollywood needs some one to play Michaela Watson as a teen, she would be perfect.  

autism presents differently with females which is why so many females are not diagnosed. Matilda is a good portrayal probably because the actress herself is autistic and most likely has influence.  I could see Genevieve wondering if Nicholas gets a diagnosis.  I can also see narcissistic actions of Nicholas actually being autistic traits. 

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I love the cast, but every time I see Maeve Press I can’t help but think if Hollywood needs some one to play Michaela Watson as a teen, she would be perfect.

Thanks for saying this. I always find myself asking where I've seen this actress before, and now I get it: she is pinging my Michaela Watson images, but younger!

16 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

autism presents differently with females which is why so many females are not diagnosed. Matilda is a good portrayal probably because the actress herself is autistic and most likely has influence.  I could see Genevieve wondering if Nicholas gets a diagnosis.  I can also see narcissistic actions of Nicholas actually being autistic traits. 

Yeah, from the articles I have seen, the shows autism consultants (Matilda & Drea's actresses, among others) review scripts and have ideas run past them - so it would make sense for them to actually feel realistic. 

I can definitely see Nicholas's narcissistic traits being autism, and that he just needs some social skills therapy.

I'm an autistic guy and in terms of how my autism presents, i'd place myself somewhere in the middle of Drea and Matilda.

• Love 3
On 4/25/2021 at 9:15 AM, Aliconehead said:

Or Sarah Silverman.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:09 AM, Nordly Beaumont said:

I think Genevieve is my favorite character on tv right now. She's funny, she's smart, she's kind and thoughtful. She knows how and when to help Matilda, she knows how to handle Nicholas

Agreed. Genevieve is helping to raise Matilda and Nicholas.  With some aid from Alex.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3