Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

My guess was that rehab would have been more than 7 grand (but what do I know, I only know about standard hospital type bills). That ring did not look that expensive.

I wouldn't want to wear anything that expensive - and don't. I have a lovely artisan ring that wasn't too expensive (just over $100) - used it as an engagement ring, and then it became my wedding ring. I'm low maintenance when it comes to jewelry.

The bill was just what wasn't covered by his insurance. I'm sure it cost a lot more than that. (Googled and the first site I clicked was American Addiction Centers which says "Though program costs will be variable, one might expect standard inpatient addiction treatment facilities to cost between $14,000 and $27,000 for a 30-day program." I'd guess at a nice-looking place like Eddie was at, in a major urban area like Boston, it might be on the higher end.)

I wouldn't even want an engagement ring at all (I would wear a wedding band, though). I always say I'd rather get a puppy. People think I'm joking. (I don't wear much jewelry, anyway, and it's mostly earrings and necklaces, not that I've had much occasion to wear those in the last year.)

5 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

Or if you want to spend $7,000 on me? Buy my inexpensive ring, then put the rest on my student loans. That would cut my current student loan balance in half. 

Heh, I don't have student loans anymore, but 7K is a little under half of what I originally borrowed (25+ years ago; I cringe at the thought of what I would have to borrow if I was going to my college now). It's roughly 9 months of my mortgage, though. Or it would just about pay off what I have left on my car, twice.

• Love 2

Yeah, I've been paying on my student loans since graduating with my master's degree in 2005 and now have it down to a little over $15K. I lucked out and got grants, scholarships, and a TA position while getting my MA, But still ended up owing enough that I've been paying on it for over 15 years now.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think the 7 grand was what remained after insurance. 

I wonder if they really have reconsidered a Gary/Maggie end game? At this point,  if they aren't renewed, I think they'll keep him and Darcy together and reunite Maggie and Brit guy whose name escapes me. If there's another season,  all bets are off.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I think the 7 grand was what remained after insurance. 

I wonder if they really have reconsidered a Gary/Maggie end game? At this point,  if they aren't renewed, I think they'll keep him and Darcy together and reunite Maggie and Brit guy whose name escapes me. If there's another season,  all bets are off.

Jamie.

This is a show that I can take or leave at this point. If it gets renewed, I'll watch, and if not, well, I won't be upset about it.

• Love 4
On 5/6/2021 at 7:18 AM, historylover820 said:

I just don't know if Nash is the best person to present this complicated issue.

To be fair, I don't know if he's been the best person to tackle addiction, adultery, or how adults spend 24/7 together yet still get paid for their jobs, but that hasn't stopped him yet! I appreciate that he's trying to incorporate a real world issue into the show instead of ignoring it or pretending it doesn't exist.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:14 PM, LucyEth said:

The reminder that Gary is Mexican and Danny is gay was all a set up for at least the next episode where they tackle prejudices and the group drawing on their own experiences.  

Or it could also be a reminder that even when people don't talk about various parts of their identity, they're still there. It's easy for people to assume that Danny and Gary don't have to deal with being gay or Mexican just because they don't talk about it all the time, but for them it's always there. Even when it's not bubbling at the surface, it's still part of them. Same for Rome being a Black man. He might not bring up all the ways he deals with it every time he interacts with his friends, but it's something he deals with on a regular, if not daily, basis.

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

So the ring was worth at least 7 grand? I think that's roughly what Eddie's bill was for. I wonder if he had any left over. 

(Note to any guy who might want to marry me...do not spend $7,000+ on a piece of jewelry for me.)

The rehab invoice said the balance due was $7800. I initially thought it was $7000 too, but I am the kind of person who pauses to squint at anything written that's shown on the screen. There were two insurance payments applied and $7800 was what Eddie and Katherine owed.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

To be fair, I don't know if he's been the best person to tackle addiction, adultery, or how adults spend 24/7 together yet still get paid for their jobs, but that hasn't stopped him yet! I appreciate that he's trying to incorporate a real world issue into the show instead of ignoring it or pretending it doesn't exist.

Or it could also be a reminder that even when people don't talk about various parts of their identity, they're still there. It's easy for people to assume that Danny and Gary don't have to deal with being gay or Mexican just because they don't talk about it all the time, but for them it's always there. Even when it's not bubbling at the surface, it's still part of them. Same for Rome being a Black man. He might not bring up all the ways he deals with it every time he interacts with his friends, but it's something he deals with on a regular, if not daily, basis.

The rehab invoice said the balance due was $7800. I initially thought it was $7000 too, but I am the kind of person who pauses to squint at anything written that's shown on the screen. There were two insurance payments applied and $7800 was what Eddie and Katherine owed.

That's true, when my multi-racial children brought up an incident in Boston that happened to one of them with a racist woman, my sister said to me, "I never knew they had issues" My daughter said she doesn't discuss every little thing, it blends in the fabric of her day but just not talking about it makes someone think it never happened. So I can see that.

I agree with some the ring statements, please unless someone is so filthy rich, that is cheap, give me a nice but cheaper ring and spend the rest on a trip ; ) I don't want to wear something that expensive.  My daughters are talking now being older 20's if they get married, going to a small budget and ask for any gifts from me or friends to be small or if cash, to go toward a trip. They knew someone who couldn't really afford a 30.000 wedding but wanted the big party and all the frills. It's sweet but then what? I guess I'm too practical for the wedding planners who want you to do the big things.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the $7,000+ was what Eddie and Katherine owed after insurance paid. There is no way that Eddie's rehab only cost $7,000.

It's probably a percentage of the total amount, which is probably the co-pay. Maybe 10% of the total bill. That sounds reasonable. Medical bills are outrageous.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm kind of surprised Eddie and Katherine have such great insurance to cover so much of the rehab bill. Katharine just started her own practice, so I doubt her insurance as is good as when she was at her last firm. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I'm kind of surprised Eddie and Katherine have such great insurance to cover so much of the rehab bill. Katharine just started her own practice, so I doubt her insurance as is good as when she was at her last firm. 

And I doubt that Eddie has such wonderful insurance either.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

She could have COBRA coverage.  I don't know how long since she left the job, but she could have it for 18 months after.

• Love 1
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Suzn said:

She could have COBRA coverage.  I don't know how long since she left the job, but she could have it for 18 months after.

I was going to say the same thing. If I recall correctly, she left her law firm near the end of last season which was shortly before Delilah left for France so it's been maybe 6 months max. Knowing that Eddie doesn't have a steady job, I'm sure she must have signed up for COBRA when she left the law firm (probably thinking that they would mostly need it for Theo).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
On 5/6/2021 at 7:01 AM, Rebky said:

The news outlets shove the current "reality" down our throats. We do not need it inserted in the shows we watch to escape that. Judge us who feel this way if you must but the fact remains.  There is a reason the awards show are not watched. Some people are sick of it.

If only people of color/LGBTQ could so conveniently tune out "reality" instead of living it every single day.  🙄

• Love 10
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was going to say the same thing. If I recall correctly, she left her law firm near the end of last season which was shortly before Delilah left for France so it's been maybe 6 months max. Knowing that Eddie doesn't have a steady job, I'm sure she must have signed up for COBRA when she left the law firm (probably thinking that they would mostly need it for Theo).

That's true, COBRA is crazy expensive though. Or at least it was the time I had to do it. I hope Katharine was able to steal some clients from her old firm or something. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

That's true, COBRA is crazy expensive though. Or at least it was the time I had to do it. I hope Katharine was able to steal some clients from her old firm or something. 

COBRA is crazy expensive, and it would be a big extra expense to avail her family of with Eddie and Theo as dependents as well.  Eddie isn't gonna have COBRA benefits, is he?  Wasn't he self-employed?  If you're living on unemployment, the COBRA premiums will eat you alive.  Having a new steady income would be necessary unless Katherine and/or Eddie have a savings account to draw from.  I don't know what Boston or the Commonwealth of Massachusetts offers by way of Obamacare, Affordable Care Act (ACA) which is federal.  In California we have Covered California health insurance.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

COBRA is crazy expensive, and it would be a big extra expense to avail her family of with Eddie and Theo as dependents as well.  Eddie isn't gonna have COBRA benefits, is he?  Wasn't he self-employed?  If you're living on unemployment, the COBRA premiums will eat you alive.  Having a new steady income would be necessary unless Katherine and/or Eddie have a savings account to draw from.  I don't know what Boston or the Commonwealth of Massachusetts offers by way of Obamacare, Affordable Care Act (ACA) which is federal.  In California we have Covered California health insurance.

Eddie was teaching guitar to kids, and he helped out Dakota that one time. Maybe he still gets some residuals from his album. But no way he had insurance of his own, and when Katharine was at her firm it probably made more sense to be on her plan than to look at state insurance.

Once they are divorced Eddie could probably qualify for Medicaid, unless he magically gets a job like Gary did.

I've now put more thought into this than the writers.....

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Eddie was teaching guitar to kids, and he helped out Dakota that one time. Maybe he still gets some residuals from his album. But no way he had insurance of his own, and when Katharine was at her firm it probably made more sense to be on her plan than to look at state insurance.

Once they are divorced Eddie could probably qualify for Medicaid, unless he magically gets a job like Gary did.

I've now put more thought into this than the writers.....

LOL, that is true with this show most of the time. The fans think of things that make more sense or have a better flow but it's easier too. I think once Nash said "this is a night time soap" not drama, the nail was in the coffin for much thought or deep scripts. You might get one here and there but he put the bar lower than the writers on TIU or that type of show. He just wants the fans to watch like it's General Hospital and enjoy but some want more. How many more fans will reflect in the ratings. It's not showing Floyd or Covid, it's the scripts that have no depth or have too much angst or you need to suspend too much reality.

Re Cobra, it's ridiculously expensive, from 300 a month to 1300 a month or more in some cases.  When I worked in a medical office and checked in patients, most with Cobra had "inactive" insurance show up because they missed a payment or paid late. It's awful.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
On 5/10/2021 at 10:20 AM, Suzn said:

I was thinking the same thing. COBRA is incredibly expensive, but she could have it.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, debraran said:

LOL, that is true with this show most of the time. The fans think of things that make more sense or have a better flow but it's easier too. I think once Nash said "this is a night time soap" not drama, the nail was in the coffin for much thought or deep scripts. You might get one here and there but he put the bar lower than the writers on TIU or that type of show. He just wants the fans to watch like it's General Hospital and enjoy but some want more. How many more fans will reflect in the ratings. It's not showing Floyd or Covid, it's the scripts that have no depth or have too much angst or you need to suspend too much reality.

Re Cobra, it's ridiculously expensive, from 300 a month to 1300 a month or more in some cases.  When I worked in a medical office and checked in patients, most with Cobra had "inactive" insurance show up because they missed a payment or paid late. It's awful.

The full monthly premium for family coverage where I work is nearly 3,900.  That's what the COBRA would cost - the company heavily subsidizes it so employees can afford it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Suzn said:

The full monthly premium for family coverage where I work is nearly 3,900.  That's what the COBRA would cost - the company heavily subsidizes it so employees can afford it.

Yes, I don't know how an average family can do it. When my daughter went off ours, Blue Cross said what cost my husband a 100 or so a monh would be over a thousand. She thought it was a joke. She went on medicaid for 6 months and then had insurance through her school but insurance really does need an overhaul in this country. This is fiction and Kathryn can make as much as Nash wants her too but for most it's terrible. I'm glad they at least showed they were having some issues.

• Love 4

Cobra only lets you pay what your employer (and you, if a shared expense) paid for your insurance -- in other words, you pay for the whole thing. So if you lose your job, you generally don't have the income to pay it. Only works for high-income people who might have enough savings to tide them over.

Somebody asked why Danny and friends were doing homework on Memorial Day Weekend. In the Northeast, school goes well into June. Teh 4th of July is the kick-off to the summer.

I eye-rolled the George Floyd reveal only because Tyrell just says "I just saw this video about a guy named George Floyd" and everyone at the table seems to already know what he's talking about. But Tyrell had just told them! (Don't suggest that they already had seen it, with Tyrell seeing it later. They would have mentioned it at the time.) Also, this is not the show to handle major issues. We've criticized here the inconsistencies in Eddie's addiction story and how they're not covering covid very well. Please don't screw George Floyd up, too.

• Love 1
On 5/26/2021 at 1:29 PM, smartymarty said:

Somebody asked why Danny and friends were doing homework on Memorial Day Weekend. In the Northeast, school goes well into June. Teh 4th of July is the kick-off to the summer.

I know school goes through June in the Northeast, that is where I live. I wasn't surprised they were still in school, I was surprised they would pick a holiday to do their homework.

• Love 1