Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S03.E12: Junior

Recommended Posts

Quote

Gary's dad connects with Darcy about his personal experience from the Vietnam War. Meanwhile, during a dinner hosted by Rome and Regina, the video of George Floyd's murder is released, and they watch together in shock.

Promo:

Original air date: 5/5/21

Share this post


Link to post

No spoilers since it hasn't aired for everyone yet (it's on at 7:00 pm in Ontario for some reason), but this is best episode in a while for me. I would not have recognized Paul Rodriguez without the credits. Who knew he was such a good actor? And at the risk of repeating myself, Gary remains my favourite character.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know the name of the actor who plays Rome’s father’s lady friend?

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, Gary! He can be really sanctimonious and self-righteous at times, but, man, what a friend! This is the guy you want to have your back, and that really blew me away.

I also didn't recognize Paul Rodriguez, but, man, I loved him.

I'm glad Katharine didn't have an affair with Allen, because yeah Eddie lied and cheated, but her lying and cheating doesn't make a right. But I'm glad that she wants to start the process to end the marriage. 

I don't know--I'm uncomfortable when this show wants to tackle real life events. COVID, the racism against Asian-Americans and now George Floyd. First, it's going to date this show in the future. Also...

Let me see if I can explain my thoughts....

I watch things like this show as an escape from real world issues. Things are bombarded at us so much that it's overwhelming. So, I watch this soap opera. And it is a soap opera. So melodramatic. And it's an escape for a little while. And it's the reason I keep coming back. I love me a good evening soap. I grew up watching Dallas, so this love started early for me.

So, when this show brings in painful, horrible real world events, it makes me uncomfortable. What can the show say about George Floyd that hasn't already been said? What can this show bring to the table? Is it going to preach to us, put something ugly and complicated and painful in terms of good vs evil? Something tells me that D.J. Nash isn't going to be the best person to tackle this very painful, heartbreaking subject.

 Still, one of the best episodes in a long time.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know the name of the actor who plays Rome’s father’s lady friend?

Karen Robinson, who recently was a regular on Schitt's Creek. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I know it is realistic for Eddie and Katharine to split, but it feels kind of sad. I really started liking them during the arc at the end of season 1 and start of 2. And Theo is going to be such a brat about this.

I am glad Eddie and Gary made up. Gary is a good friend.

Gary's father ended up being surprisingly supportive with Danny. That was a really nice scene and so was Danny coming out to his classmates. I kind of thought he'd already come out at school, but I must be misremembering. Was also glad to see Darcy back.

It was nice to see Rome and Regina supporting his dad wanting to date Florence. He deserves to be happy and I think older people move on faster because they have less time. It also made me laugh that when the confronted Ty about the condom he was all, "well yeah, of course I'm having sex" and it was not a big deal at all.

When Danny made a point of mentioning the date I realized they were going to bring in George Floyd. I remember the date because Station 19/Grey's just did the same thing and someone on that board posted the date. I don't have a problem with them wanting to cover it, it is just jarring to be reminded how far off they are in the timeline.  

Also, May 25, 2020 was Memorial Day. Why were Danny and his classmates doing home work? And why was no one outside? That is the time for picnics and the start of summer. Especially in this past year. Don't write in Covid and then have no one follow any kind of social distancing/restriction rules.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

A HUMIRA ad followed the scene in which Ty hops off the Zoom meeting with Danny, and I really thought it was part of the show.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

“Dad! You’re home! Oh, I’m so glad you’re back.”
Theo references Hungry, Hungry Hippos. 

There’s not ONE writer or producer who will step up and say, “Hey, guys. I’ve met a ten/eleven-year-old. That’s not how they talk.”

I liked Danny’s third option joke.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I hadn't really watched this show this season, just the one where Sophie gets hit on by her teacher. The show had gotten too "soapy" for me. I did watch this morning while getting ready for work and maybe it was the no Maggie, or Katheryn saying "enough' but it seemed better. I hope they don't have her change her mind, she seems like a prop in their marriage although Theo will be devastated and pick sides.  I liked Gary's dad and knew many like him. I like him with Darcy and hated the Maggie relationship and got disinterested in the Delilah stuff also but now that seems to be gone. (at least for now) I little heavy on the condom jokes, sometimes something is funny and then it's tired. I don't know how I"ll feel when others are in show, but for now, it was watchable in the background.

I am sad at the hate on FB posts and forums about George being brought up on this show and race on any show. It is sad that people will even lie about not watching a show because of a 2 minute line. It shows how out of touch they are, how someone else's pain that doesn't effect them, is boring and "I'm sick of it" The lack of empathy is understandable, not everyone can feel that way, but a TV show gets you that riled up? It shows so much more. I'm glad the show touched on it and wonder if people were less touchy years ago.

I watched MASH and they had an issue every week, war, mental illness, being gay, interracial subjects, race. They laughed at Archie making bad jokes about race and being gay and war and religion but they secretly agreed with him I guess and it was okay. Law and Order ripped from the headlines constantly and that was very popular.

My husband was a black cop for 40 years and had many white cops as friends. They never did what we see today and worked in an urban city but some areas of the country did. Before cameras and cops with a conscience, things were not proven in court and the "don't tell" law was more prevalent. My husband always said something but luckily it wasn't needed often. I cant' control how much TV shows something but I can turn it off. I will never downplay the fact murders and abuse went on decades before this or that before laws gay men and women were abused and killed without anyone caring. Sometimes we hear about something a lot because it was never really addressed before. The anger isn't for one person, it's for all the people who weren't talked about.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I am sad at the hate on FB posts and forums about George being brought up on this show and race on any show. It is sad that people will even lie about not watching a show because of a 2 minute line. It shows how out of touch they are, how someone else's pain that doesn't effect them, is boring and "I'm sick of it" The lack of empathy is understandable, not everyone can feel that way, but a TV show gets you that riled up? It shows so much more. I'm glad the show touched on it and wonder if people were less touchy years ago.

Agreed. Mass entertainment is an important tool to tell stories and history. Sometimes they just go way too ridiculous, betraying the alignment of the writers (New Amsterdam is one example of performative steps to address systemic social problems). My take is that people who complain about shows having all these issues as a small insert in the plots are telling more about themselves than talking about the show. I appreciate that the plots are there, my only issue is when they make it seem that a ridiculous outcome (performative) is enough. It is not, and it only comforts the ones already comfortable, who think posting a "I support BLM" for example, is enough. The fact that it makes people uncomfortable is a plus, imo. Hopefully they will examine their own bias and unwillingness to at least acknowledge the failings of the system that privileges one specific group to the detriment of others

  • Like 12
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

The news outlets shove the current "reality" down our throats. We do not need it inserted in the shows we watch to escape that. Judge us who feel this way if you must but the fact remains.  There is a reason the awards show are not watched. Some people are sick of it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Rebky said:

The news outlets shove the current "reality" down our throats. We do not need it inserted in the shows we watch to escape that. Judge us who feel this way if you must but the fact remains.  There is a reason the awards show are not watched. Some people are sick of it.

Your opinion is valid but people can make choices about what to watch. I made a choice several years ago to not watch the news, I pick and choose what I will read. Maybe because I am very selective about what to read, I do appreciate that the issue is in mass entertainment because to your point, most of the media sucks and how they tell the stories is based on how much traffic they will get - leading to more money

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Normally I would complain that it's cliche for a woman to cut her hair when she's having relationship issues, but Katherine's undercut looks good.

I loved Rome and Gina's entire conversation in the car. I'm with Gina - if I'm driving, please don't tell me to look at something. I"m busy keeping the car from hitting anything. I also cracked up at how offended Rome was about Tyrell leaving a frozen yogurt cup on the floor. Again, I feel you. My car is a leave no trace behind zone. Take your trash with you when you exit the car!

I hate to sound like a cranky old lady, but the reason I've gone to the grocery store once a week during the pandemic is related to what Jackie said - I don't trust someone else to pick out my produce. If all I needed were boxed/canned/prepackaged items then I would be totally willing to order my groceries online and have them delivered but I need to pick out the produce myself.

I loved seeing Gary set his dad straight. He has really been taking his responsibility to the kids seriously, and not just since Delilah went to France. He's been like this since Jon died. It's sweet to see how fiercely protective he is of them. I'm glad he learned his lesson with Sophie and was letting Danny make his own decision instead of pushing him to do what he thought Danny should do. I'm glad his classmates were supportive when he finally came out. I liked having Gary's dad around too. Let's see more of those home movies!

High five to Katherine for finally deciding she's had enough. I hope she doesn't change her mind about getting a divorce. The only sour note is that I know Theo is going to put all the blame on her. There's nothing wrong with leaving a marriage after you husband cheats on you, lies to you about not having a secret love child for months, then relapses into addiction and lies to you about that as well. It's okay to walk away and want a better partner (or at the very least someone who won't want to leave you because you like Indian food).

I also loved how supportive and encouraging Regina and Rome were about his dad liking Florence. I know it's been a long time since he dated, but I had to laugh when Florence said that when he dropped her off the other night, he shook her hand. I really love that she's getting to be more three dimensional than she was on Schitt's Creek.

I had no issue with the show bringing up George Floyd. While this is a soap opera, unlike, say, Game of Thrones, it's still based in our reality (hence references to COVID and masks this season) so it makes sense to me that they would show the characters' reactions to something that happened in real life. Just this week, the season premiere of Pose took place in 1994 and they showed the characters finding out about OJ and watching the chase on tv. These were huge events in American culture so including them is realistic to me.

Due to the complaints mentioned above in previous posts, I timed the segment. It was 90 seconds out of a one hour show, which is nothing compared to the huge amounts of time the show has wasted on stupid plot points, Theo acting live a 5 year old, and Gary's endless insults/jokes over the past three years.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I hate to sound like a cranky old lady, but the reason I've gone to the grocery store once a week during the pandemic is related to what Jackie said - I don't trust someone else to pick out my produce. If all I needed were boxed/canned/prepackaged items then I would be totally willing to order my groceries online and have them delivered but I need to pick out the produce myself.

haha, I am the same

14 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

These were huge events in American culture so including them is realistic to me.

I just want to make one more point: I watch independent media that have been reporting on social injustice for awhile, and they are real activists, people who have been jailed and imprisoned, people who are dissidents and who have fought for human rights since the 60's, fought for worker's rights for longer than that. I assure you that the reality is so much worse than anything TV shows can insert in their scripts. Just for context.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the George Floyd segment at the end was  powerful and well done. I know how sick I felt watching that footage. I can't begin to imagine how it must have felt for a Black person to see how casually this man was murdered as others stood by and let it happen, and know how easily it could have been their son or daughter, mother or father, brother, sister, or themselves. Whether you agree with it or not, this was a resounding moment in American history. Not to include it in a real-world based show, especially one with Black and Asian lead characters, would be short-sighted at the least. The same with the increased anti-Asian hate crimes due to Covid. It's part of our world, whether we want escapist entertainment or not.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

Just for the record, this isn't going to get me to rant about this show on Facebook and I don't have a Twitter account to do that anyways. (And I'm glad, because Twitter sounds like a cesspool anyways.) This isn't going to make me stop watching the show or declare that I'll never watch this show again. I may not be around next Wednesday to watch it, but I do have Hulu and will watch the next day if I miss it. And I recognize that maybe it's good that this makes me uncomfortable and makes me squirm. I just don't know if Nash is the best person to present this complicated issue.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

I just don't know if Nash is the best person to present this complicated issue.

I don't disagree with this. Hopefully he at least asked the actors themselves for input.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I think, the moment they presented COVID into the AMLT world, that telling the George Floyd story was just as, if not more, important. That being said, I'm cautious to see how this show handles it. This show isn't known for telling serious topics as well as they could be. But I'm not bothered by it; sometimes, entertainment is another way of getting people to really listen and pay attention to real life events. That's not a bad thing. 

The episode, in itself, was fairly strong. Is it sad to admit that I didn't notice that Maggie was not in the episode at all? Because I didn't notice until I read this forum. And I think Maggie's become a stronger character this season. But I didn't miss her, and I appreciate that Gary had a plot with Darcy, Danny, and his Dad. I liked the turn on his father with Danny's sexuality. I was glad they went that route, despite the fact that his father was also judging Jon's cause of death. I am glad Gary did do his best to protect Danny, and I like how Darcy intervened when she was needed. 

So, it looks like Eddie and Katherine are going through Divorce 2.0, but it might actually go through this time. I'm glad Katherine stopped the physical affair before it could really begin, even though she's been fullblown in an emotional affair for a while, because she shouldn't stoop to Eddie's levels. I'm glad she recognized that her taking Alan to that particular hotel was a spiteful thing because of Eddie taking Delilah there. 

That being said, Eddie recognizing the signs of an affair and him breaking down after Katherine telling him that she wants a divorce, along with finding out about Gary paying off his rehab bills, meant a solid episode for David Giuntoli. It made me feel bad for Eddie for a second. I was surprised with Darcy defending Eddie to Katherine, but I don't think she's entirely wrong in that Eddie ISN'T the same jackass he was in season 1. But still, he did kind of bring all of this to himself so....

Rome and Regina's stuff was solid, as usual. It was good to see them both happy to see Walter ready to date again. And Florence seems so lovely that I'm down for that. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think, the moment they presented COVID into the AMLT world, that telling the George Floyd story was just as, if not more, important. That being said, I'm cautious to see how this show handles it. This show isn't known for telling serious topics as well as they could be. But I'm not bothered by it; sometimes, entertainment is another way of getting people to really listen and pay attention to real life events. That's not a bad thing. 

I will keep quoting and agreeing with statements like this. Writers can completely mess it up by virtue signaling and praising performative actions instead of pointing out systemic issues. No need to go deep on them and get away from the main plots, but performative actions only minimize the seriousness of the problems and does nothing to educate and maybe even give more awareness to people who might not thnk about them

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, debraran said:

I am sad at the hate on FB posts and forums about George being brought up on this show and race on any show. It is sad that people will even lie about not watching a show because of a 2 minute line. It shows how out of touch they are, how someone else's pain that doesn't effect them, is boring and "I'm sick of it" The lack of empathy is understandable, not everyone can feel that way, but a TV show gets you that riled up? It shows so much more.

Yeah, it's disappointing. It's not like this show has shied away from talking about complicated issues. It started with a suicide after all. It's dealt with racism before. The fight between Gary and Rome at the baseball game in season 2 is a perfect example of that. We just had Sophie's sexual assault. So why is acknowledging George Floyd the breaking point? (That's a rhetorical question.)

Quote

I'm glad the show touched on it and wonder if people were less touchy years ago.

People were just as touchy. They just didn't have social media to vent on. Anyway on to the episode...

I'm glad Katherine has decided to throw in the towel. Between the affair, the love child, and the addiction, she's hit her limit and understandably so. She's been asked to handle too much. That phone call with Darcy was painful. Katherine called Darcy for support and then Darcy spent the time defending Eddie. You could see how abandoned she felt. It's obvious that in this divorce Eddie will get custody of the incestuous cult friends. I'm not looking forward to seeing Theo blame Katharine and attack Alan.

The storyline with Rome's dad and Florence is sweet and realistic. Moving on after the death of a spouse is tough and people work through it in their own time. I liked how Rome's dad was honest about his feelings in front of Tyrell. Young men really need to see that it's okay to talk about your feelings. 

I still don't miss Delilah.

Edited by marceline
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I am not surprised at all that the show is dealing with George Floyd, its not only doing the whole of 2020 and everything that went on, and ignoring that and everything that followed would be ridiculous, this show LOVES a social issue, its tried to cram every social issue into as many episodes as humanly possible since episode one, so of course we will be getting a ton of stuff about racism and police violence and such. I am anticipating a whole lot of speeches next week. I don't know if the show will handle it particularly well, as it tends to be really high on melodrama and long clearly prewritten speeches, but of course they had to deal with it. I thought they handled Sophie being assaulted pretty well, better than I expected them to at least, so I am crossing my fingers that they will handle this well too. The actual moment when they saw the video was pretty good (even with the dramatic slow motion) but Danny announcing the date beforehand to his friends just so we know what's coming two seconds before we see it is the kind of on the nose awkward writing that I am hoping they will hold back on. Its interesting watching all of these shows that I am watching all doing this "2020 all through the season" thing, like a period piece from a year ago, and seeing how they handle things, especially as they usually hit all the same major plot beats, so I am hoping they find something interesting to do here and handle this sensitive situation with the respect it deserves, and not a lot of needless soap drama splashed all over this huge moment that affected so many people. 

Is Gary's actual first name Javier? Did we know that? I like having Gary's dad around, you can see a lot of Gary in him but also a lot of differences. I am glad that Gary nipped his "suicide is so selfish" stuff in the bud before he could talk to Danny about it, but turns out he didn't need to worry about his dad saying anything bad about Danny being gay. That was a really nice scene, and I am glad that Danny came out, at least to a few kids. Them all adding rainbows to their backgrounds was corny but still sweet. I also continue to like Darcy, she brings out a really likable side of Gary that's fun but not trying so hard. 

Rome and Regina trying to wingman for Rome's dad was fun, good on Rome's dad for trying to get back out there, and his new girlfriend seems really cool. 

I cant blame Katherine for wanting to end her marriage to Eddie after everything, but its just so depressing and it makes so much of their arc last season of putting their marriage back such a big waste of time. I really liked their story of finding each other again and Eddie trying to earn her forgiveness, it was one of the seasons strongest narratives, so now it all being thrown away is just so sad. I'm not even really mad at Eddie, I'm just annoyed at the writers who took a potentially interesting story of Eddie having to deal with this potentially life altering injury and wasted it with a boring drug story that seems to exist just because they don't know how to write Eddie and Katherine as a functioning couple. I am glad that Katherine didn't end up getting with Allan at least, just because Eddie has screwed their whole relationship up doesn't mean her cheating on him is alright. It sucks because I did really like them but I don't really see a way they fix this. Gary can be a lot sometimes, but he really is a ride or die friend, I am glad that Eddie called and apologized for what he said. Which is good, things are looking pretty bleak for Eddie right now, and while most of his problems are of his own making, it does really suck watching his life implode. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Is Gary's actual first name Juan? Did we know that?  

I heard Javier, which I think is the Spanish equivalent for Gary. I could be wrong, though. My Spanish "fluency" is for two years, 25 years ago, from a high school teacher that let us grade our own tests and couldn't remember assigning homework to us. So my translation of Javier = Gary is probably very, very, very incorrect.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

I heard Javier, which I think is the Spanish equivalent for Gary. I could be wrong, though. My Spanish "fluency" is for two years, 25 years ago, from a high school teacher that let us grade our own tests and couldn't remember assigning homework to us. So my translation of Javier = Gary is probably very, very, very incorrect.

I don't know about the translation, but on the video the teacher/emcee definitely called him Javier Mendez (and I assume that's where the title of this episode came from).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

I heard Javier, which I think is the Spanish equivalent for Gary. I could be wrong, though. My Spanish "fluency" is for two years, 25 years ago, from a high school teacher that let us grade our own tests and couldn't remember assigning homework to us. So my translation of Javier = Gary is probably very, very, very incorrect.

I thought my daughter told me Gary is just Gary. She’s Spanish  major but maybe Gary will say how he came to be called that.Javier is very Catholic name from a saint. 

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I cant blame Katherine for wanting to end her marriage to Eddie after everything, but its just so depressing and it makes so much of their arc last season of putting their marriage back such a big waste of time. I really liked their story of finding each other again and Eddie trying to earn her forgiveness, it was one of the seasons strongest narratives, so now it all being thrown away is just so sad. I'm not even really mad at Eddie, I'm just annoyed at the writers who took a potentially interesting story of Eddie having to deal with this potentially life altering injury and wasted it with a boring drug story that seems to exist just because they don't know how to write Eddie and Katherine as a functioning couple. I am glad that Katherine didn't end up getting with Allan at least, just because Eddie has screwed their whole relationship up doesn't mean her cheating on him is alright. It sucks because I did really like them but I don't really see a way they fix this. Gary can be a lot sometimes, but he really is a ride or die friend, I am glad that Eddie called and apologized for what he said. Which is good, things are looking pretty bleak for Eddie right now, and while most of his problems are of his own making, it does really suck watching his life implode. 

I hear you. This is pretty much how I feel too. What was the point of them reuniting and working on their marriage just for it to fall apart again and esp. for this reason? I actually like them too. 

I may be in the minority but I have a lot more sympathy for this addiction arc given Eddie was intentionally hit by a car and is likely in a lot of pain than the infidelity arc.  If Katherine had ended things after the baby, that would have made sense to me. I completely understand she's fed up w/him . . . . I guess I just have sympathy for him. He didn't ask to be run over or in pain. He tried to not take the pain meds in the beginning b/c he knows he's an addict, but of course, it all spiraled out of control. Darcy was right, IMO, in her assessment of him. He was genuinely trying to be a good husband and father. If Katherine was able to get over the affair and the baby . . . . . I don't know . . . . . I guess I thought they'd work through this too, esp. given the circumstances. 

I don't hate Eddie so what I really hope is for him to get it together. He's been the screw up every single season, and I'm over that. Let him be stable and together for at least one season. LOL! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Glad to see Katherine realizing she needs get away from Eddie.  I doubt the marriage will end, they will find a way to have them repair it as they will will Gary and Maggie.  I’m sure Theo will act out even more, maybe he’ll get entangled with a hippo and that will bring them back together.  Not sure why they have Jackie barging into the home on the same day Eddie comes home.  Guess she is now Eddie’s new confidant. BTW, just how did Eddie get home?  I guess we will not see Delilah and Sophie again, not sure how many episodes are left.  I heard the teacher call Gary Javier too, that must be his given name.  I recognized the dad right away as Paul Rodriguez.  He did a good job.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Due to the complaints mentioned above in previous posts, I timed the segment. It was 90 seconds out of a one hour show

The George Floyd coverage?  Did you see the coming attractions?  It continues into next week. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, lala2 said:

I hear you. This is pretty much how I feel too. What was the point of them reuniting and working on their marriage just for it to fall apart again and esp. for this reason? I actually like them too. 

I may be in the minority but I have a lot more sympathy for this addiction arc given Eddie was intentionally hit by a car and is likely in a lot of pain than the infidelity arc.  If Katherine had ended things after the baby, that would have made sense to me. I completely understand she's fed up w/him . . . . I guess I just have sympathy for him. He didn't ask to be run over or in pain. He tried to not take the pain meds in the beginning b/c he knows he's an addict, but of course, it all spiraled out of control. Darcy was right, IMO, in her assessment of him. He was genuinely trying to be a good husband and father. If Katherine was able to get over the affair and the baby . . . . . I don't know . . . . . I guess I thought they'd work through this too, esp. given the circumstances. 

I don't hate Eddie so what I really hope is for him to get it together. He's been the screw up every single season, and I'm over that. Let him be stable and together for at least one season. LOL! 

I agree. And Eddie had dumped the pills down the toilet and was prepared to gut it out, but then his therapy/treatment got cancelled due to Covid.  No doubt he handled it badly, but that's what addicts do, and everything conspired against him. I would never excuse infidelity - but given the Katherine we were first introduced to, I would have left her too. (I just would have done it without cheating on her first.) They still haven't done a very good job of explaining what happened to Eddie's pain though. The way it looks now, it was all about the drugs and addiction, since it seems to have magically disappeared after rehab.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve mentioned this before but as someone with chronic and agonizing spinal pain, it doesn’t just go away. Some people get some relief from surgery or therapy but some like myself have to take pain meds to get out of bed. Drug rehab would do nothing for Eddie’s pain and I think it is awful of Katherine to leave him when he is fresh from rehab and likely in terrible pain. I understand her wanting to leave him over the infidelity but she has been having an emotional affair herself.

Gary isn’t my favorite character and I guess they wanted to show he had a Mexican first name in keeping with the actor being billed as James Roday Rodriguez instead of James Roday. I’m hoping they will do a respectful story with the George Floyd case. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The reminder that Gary is Mexican and Danny is gay was all a set up for at least the next episode where they tackle prejudices and the group drawing on their own experiences.  

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

The reminder that Gary is Mexican and Danny is gay was all a set up for at least the next episode where they tackle prejudices and the group drawing on their own experiences.  

Did anyone need reminding of that?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Did anyone need reminding of that?

Probably not, just an opinion 

Edited by LucyEth

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Probably not, just an opinion 

I see both points but I think it's that Danny was hiding it, being ashamed of being gay or reactions to it. Gary for whatever reason changed his name and never talked about it but that's not lying, just maybe trying to fit in his tax world more at the time. I don't think you can segue that into systemic racism but I'm sure it will be to show how others prejudice and bias can effect your own truth.  I do think MLT can overdue it though and the writing isn't the best but I am keeping fingers crossed.

I never think "this is too much" because I grew up in an all almost all white Italian neighborhood with few black families (2) and heard so much over the years. I also worked in a large hospital and felt blessed to get to know so many people of different races and religions from all walks of life. Even there though, in an urban city, you heard and saw so much bias. Being a white woman, no one hid anything from me and for every person I said something too, there was someone else to replace him or her. There were many nice people too, the world is full of them, but racism never went away and no one likes having to watch what they say or do and be under a microscope. We all, including myself make judgements of others based on whatever and every time I see my error, I consider it a blessing to try harder next time. That effects us all.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, debraran said:

Gary for whatever reason changed his name and never talked about it but that's not lying, just maybe trying to fit in his tax world more at the time.

Did Gary change his name? I have a friend named Mike. His given name is Miguel and everyone knows this, but he uses Mike. We might not have known Gary’s given name is Javier, but that doesn’t mean he changed it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Did Gary change his name? I have a friend named Mike. His given name is Miguel and everyone knows this, but he uses Mike. We might not have known Gary’s given name is Javier, but that doesn’t mean he changed it.

I'm not sure, but I don't where this is going with it. Gary is not Javier. Miguel is a Spanish version of Michael.  Gary is just Gary in Spanish. I'm not sure if it was a middle name or nick name but I'm sure it will come out soon. I know his teacher called him Javier or Javi.

I don't know how Nash will explore but James said :

Gary might experience a similar epiphany that I had talking about his name change. Noting that series creator D.J. Nash “loves for art to imitate life” on the series, Rodriguez teases, “I would not be shocked if Gary’s story in Season 3 doesn’t explore his relationship with his heritage, the same way that I’m experiencing my own. We haven’t really kicked the can down that trail yet.

 

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

“Anyone who loves you isn’t gonna let that stop them from loving you, and anyone who doesn’t isn’t worth a damn” - a compelling scene between Javier Sr and Danny, with Gary and Darcy in the background, breathing heavily, make it all believable. Personally, I don’t like how Danny is being written since season 1, the writers aren’t creative enough to give him better storyline, am just glad that they don’t ruin him like they did with Theo, I like the actor, I watched him in some Hallmark movies.

Am happy that Katherine has finally decided to end that toxic marriage. I just hope that she won’t change her mind (again) because of pressure from Theo. They reconciled because of him, now it’s time to find own happiness, Theo needs to suck it up, if he’s not happy with his parents’ decision, he can go & live with the hippos. My worry is that we’ll be seeing more of Theo on our screen, throwing tantrums, taking Eddie’s side, hating Alan etc. These will happen because the writers love him! 😖

Walter/Florence/Rome/Gina’s storyline is relatable, people grieve on their own timelines and moving on is easier said than done. I like the way they handle the George Floyd’s situation at the end, the silence + background music + slow-mo speak volumes.

What I love the most about this episode is... NO MAGGIE! 😆

I may skip E13 next week, don’t like it when it becomes too political and too preachy. Also not looking forward for Tyrell’s storyline in E14, ughhhh 🤦🏻‍♀️ 

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

High five to Katherine for finally deciding she's had enough. I hope she doesn't change her mind about getting a divorce. The only sour note is that I know Theo is going to put all the blame on her. There's nothing wrong with leaving a marriage after you husband cheats on you, lies to you about not having a secret love child for months, then relapses into addiction and lies to you about that as well. It's okay to walk away and want a better partner (or at the very least someone who won't want to leave you because you like Indian food).

I completely agree.  This has been a long time in coming. 

I also would really like to see a marriage on tv end in an adult way, rather than with bitter custody battles and sniping.

10 hours ago, lala2 said:

I hear you. This is pretty much how I feel too. What was the point of them reuniting and working on their marriage just for it to fall apart again and esp. for this reason? I actually like them too. 

Sometimes, couples don't work out, no matter how hard one or both of them try to make it work.  Eddie had issues from the beginning, he didn't deal with them well and didn't deal with his current issues well either. Her last straw was not his addiction, but the lies, more lies, lies he promised he wouldn't tell anymore the last time he lied to her.  At this point, their marriage has been on the rocks more often than it's been good, far more often.  She has given it as much as she could, and can say she tried but Eddie is still Eddie inside.  Someone she can't trust not to lie to her.  It can be empowering to let go of something that isn't working and is emotionally damaging.

Edited by izabella
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/5/2021 at 11:55 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

A HUMIRA ad followed the scene in which Ty hops off the Zoom meeting with Danny, and I really thought it was part of the show.

Same!  I thought it was Dakota on stage performing 😄

On 5/6/2021 at 6:39 AM, debraran said:

I hadn't really watched this show this season, just the one where Sophie gets hit on by her teacher. 

"Hit on"?  He whipped out his penis and pleasured himself in front of her.  It was a sexual assault.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/6/2021 at 5:28 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I hate to sound like a cranky old lady, but the reason I've gone to the grocery store once a week during the pandemic is related to what Jackie said - I don't trust someone else to pick out my produce. If all I needed were boxed/canned/prepackaged items then I would be totally willing to order my groceries online and have them delivered but I need to pick out the produce myself.

I've been tempted to getting delivery, but only on boxed or canned goods. I need to pick out my produce too. So I can tell when something is ripe, or it's just perfect for letting it ripen for a few days for a dish.  Oftentimes the produce in the store itself isn't great looking, and I have to pick through the items. I see the people who are picking out the produce for delivery, and while I don't think they are careless, they are in a hurry.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, LucyEth said:

Glad to see Katherine realizing she needs get away from Eddie.  I doubt the marriage will end, they will find a way to have them repair it as they will will Gary and Maggie.  I’m sure Theo will act out even more, maybe he’ll get entangled with a hippo and that will bring them back together.  Not sure why they have Jackie barging into the home on the same day Eddie comes home.  Guess she is now Eddie’s new confidant. BTW, just how did Eddie get home?  I guess we will not see Delilah and Sophie again, not sure how many episodes are left.  I heard the teacher call Gary Javier too, that must be his given name.  I recognized the dad right away as Paul Rodriguez.  He did a good job.

The George Floyd coverage?  Did you see the coming attractions?  It continues into next week. 

I imagine Eddie came home via a medical transport, or an Uber or something. I didn't think too much about it, but it's a good question.

I loved the story with Gary and his father. I knew the father would be more accepting of Danny - but I thought that maybe he would come out himself. LOL. That would have been a step too far, and what they did was beautiful.

As for the George Floyd story - it created a major upheaval in our society for over a year, and will continue to do so. I don't see it as going away anytime soon, in society or on this show. Maybe a show with mostly white people would give it short shrift. Whether the show runners handle it well is a different story, and I'm concerned about that as well.  But as was pointed out earlier, Sophie's sexual assault story was handled with grace, as was the bit with Danny and Gary's father.

I don't see George Floyd as a political issue, regardless of the fact it certainly has become one. It's a humanity and culture issue to me. I'm thankful for all the cell phones that have brought this into the harsh glare of daylight, where it's difficult to ignore and explain away.

All that being said, there are certain kinds of real life things that I don't like to watch, so I do understand the discomfort.  I've stopped more than one show because of I found the subject matter too anxiety producing or flat out painful. I watch a lot of old shows when I have need to get away from it all.

 

 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Not sure why they have Jackie barging into the home on the same day Eddie comes home.  

[...]

BTW, just how did Eddie get home? 

 

36 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I imagine Eddie came home via a medical transport, or an Uber or something. I didn't think too much about it, but it's a good question.

Jackie drove Eddie home. When Eddie got home:

Katherine: I didn't think Jackie was dropping you off for another half hour.
Eddie: Well, Jackie is a lot of things. A safe driver's not one of them.

Later:

Eddie: Jackie, what are you doing here?
Jackie: As soon as I dropped you off, I went right to the supermarket. Those insta-shoppers always phone it in when it comes to the produce. You just can't have any old person pick out your poblano peppers. You've got a lot riding on this dinner.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

Same!  I thought it was Dakota on stage performing 😄

"Hit on"?  He whipped out his penis and pleasured himself in front of her.  It was a sexual assault.

Sorry. I missed that. I was half watching and saw the dance etc.  her explanation later I’ll have to find 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I loved the story with Gary and his father. I knew the father would be more accepting of Danny - but I thought that maybe he would come out himself. LOL. That would have been a step too far, and what they did was beautiful.

One thing I wasn't sure of in this story: was the photo actually of his dead friend (as Gary thought) or was it the photo that the friend had on him of his love? It think it's the latter, and that makes it even more poignant somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

One thing I wasn't sure of in this story: was the photo actually of his dead friend (as Gary thought) or was it the photo that the friend had on him of his love? It think it's the latter, and that makes it even more poignant somehow.

Javier said that he pulled the photo from Douglas' helmet and it was the same photo that Douglas had been talking to earlier. I'm assuming that means the photo was of the man he was in love with (because it would be really weird if Douglas carried a picture of himself around and talked to it).

Javier: One night, we were in this foxhole because we were going to take this hill the next morning. Douglas took the first watch. He must have thought I was sleeping because he took his helmet off and he pulled this picture out. He was talking to it. I didn't know what he was saying, but you could tell it was pretty, pretty sweet stuff. I remember thinking how nice it was that he had somebody back home, even if he didn't want to talk about his girl with the rest of us. Next thing you know, I woke up and there were shots being fired and then I felt something fall on me, heavy. And I guess he figured that I wasn't going to wake up in time so he used his body to to shield me. The first bullet killed him instantly. Before the medics came, I noticed his helmet was on the ground and this picture had fallen out. And suddenly, it all made sense to me, why he kept to himself, why he never talked about girls with the rest of us. I heard the medics approaching so I took this picture and I put it in my pocket.
 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Same!  I thought it was Dakota on stage performing 😄

Hahaha!! Yup, I thought it was Dakota performing, too!!

Share this post


Link to post

When did Gary get rehired by his old job?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

When did Gary get rehired by his old job?

I was wondering about that too

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/7/2021 at 5:54 PM, ams1001 said:

When did Gary get rehired by his old job?

 

On 5/7/2021 at 6:29 PM, historylover820 said:

I was wondering about that too

I felt like they just threw that line in because of all the "how does Gary not have a job?" queries!

I'm glad he sold that engagement ring. I feel like it means he's finally let go of Maggie in a romantic way (I know, I know, the show will probably have them end up back together but let me have this moment!).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

When did Gary get rehired by his old job?

 

12 hours ago, historylover820 said:

I was wondering about that too

I felt like they just threw that line in because of all the "how does Gary not have a job?" queries!

I had the same thought too. Maybe they were tired of hearing the snark. 😄 Now to make it "real" they should show him working remotely.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm glad he sold that engagement ring. I feel like it means he's finally let go of Maggie in a romantic way (I know, I know, the show will probably have them end up back together but let me have his moment!).

So the ring was worth at least 7 grand? I think that's roughly what Eddie's bill was for. I wonder if he had any left over. 

(Note to any guy who might want to marry me...do not spend $7,000+ on a piece of jewelry for me.)

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

So the ring was worth at least 7 grand? I think that's roughly what Eddie's bill was for. I wonder if he had any left over. 

(Note to any guy who might want to marry me...do not spend $7,000+ on a piece of jewelry for me.)

My guess was that rehab would have been more than 7 grand (but what do I know, I only know about standard hospital type bills). That ring did not look that expensive.

I wouldn't want to wear anything that expensive - and don't. I have a lovely artisan ring that wasn't too expensive (just over $100) - used it as an engagement ring, and then it became my wedding ring. I'm low maintenance when it comes to jewelry.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

So the ring was worth at least 7 grand? I think that's roughly what Eddie's bill was for. I wonder if he had any left over. 

(Note to any guy who might want to marry me...do not spend $7,000+ on a piece of jewelry for me.)

I'm with you--

To any guy who may want to marry me, I will happily take a solitaire ring for around $100. I'm very low-maintenance when it comes to jewelry anyways. Plus, if you say you want to spend at least $7,000 on that ring, I would tell you that I'd rather use that money to go on a honeymoon. Or sock it away for a house or bills or put in savings for our retirement. That's just crazy.

Or if you want to spend $7,000 on me? Buy my inexpensive ring, then put the rest on my student loans. That would cut my current student loan balance in half. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size