Type keyword(s) to search

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Raja said:

However the Awkwafina poster seems way out of the character that they are showing us in the trailers

It’s more in line with the action figures/Funko Pops of her character, though. It seems they all go somewhere/something happens to them to get them in those period-looking outfits (which is hopefully a more interesting explanation than, “These characters don’t have super suits! How can we make them look cooler?”

52 minutes ago, Raja said:

Since 2003 and Lost in Translation with Bill Murray

I’m confused, I’m sorry. What I meant was that ScarJo is a star.  She is long long past being a “starlet”, and it just felt rather (likely unintentionally) scornful to call her that.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 4

I…..am even more confused.  Ok.  “Starlet” in my understanding is an actress that has not made it big yet.  An aspiring star, if you will.  Since ScarJo is an actual legit star, I am just questioning the use of “starlet”, because it makes her sound like less of a big name than she really is.  

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I…..am even more confused.  Ok.  “Starlet” in my understanding is an actress that has not made it big yet.  An aspiring star, if you will.  Since ScarJo is an actual legit star, I am just questioning the use of “starlet”, because it makes her sound like less of a big name than she really is.  

I agree. She doesn’t fit any definition of a starlet. Using it to describe her is deliberately demeaning. 

Although, Inside the Magic is a clickbait site so I can’t say I’m surprised. 

Benedict Wong is doing press for Nine Days (which stars another MCU actor, Winston Duke) and also talked a little about Shang-Chi...

Benedict Wong on 'Nine Days,' the Importance of 'Shang-Chi,' and Working with Sam Raimi on 'Doctor Strange 2'
BY CHRISTINA RADISH   AUGUST 6, 2021
https://collider.com/benedict-wong-nine-days-shang-chi-interview/ 

You’re also in Shang-Chi, which a lot of people, including myself, are excited about. What does it mean to you to be a part of the first Marvel movie with an Asian cast and Asian superheroes?
WONG: Well, yeah, it’s the first leading Asian superhero, with Simu [Liu]. It’s the Asians Assemble. To have Tony Leung, Awkwafina, Ronny Chieng, Meng’er [Zhang], Fala Chen, it feels very, very exciting. I’ve seen the trailer many, many times, and I’m very excited.

Edited by tv echo

Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings Runtime Reportedly Revealed
RACHEL LABONTE   AUGUST 10, 2021
https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-legend-ten-rings-movie-runtime/

Thanks to a new listing online, Shang-Chi's runtime has reportedly been revealed. U.S. theater chain Cinemark has the movie's runtime planned as 2 hours and 12 minutes, or a 132 minutes. This puts it in line with fellow MCU solo movies Black Widow (133 minutes) and Black Panther (134 minutes), for comparison's sake.

Disney Boss Explains Why They Don't Want Marvel's Shang-Chi Premiering on Disney+
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal    August 12, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-shang-chi-disney-plus-release-date-premiere 

During Disney's Q3 Investor Call, Disney CEO Bob Chapek confirmed that Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings will stick to its exclusive theatrical release amid the Delta Variant surge worldwide. 

While Chapek pointed out that they didn't expect the surge, the head executive explained that they have to "put a stake in the ground" for films like Shang-Chi and Free Guy. 

"At some point, we have to put a stake in the ground, and say, Shang-Chi, that's a title we're going to put into the marketplace, or Free Guy, that's a title we're going to put into the marketplace."

Chapek continued by saying that Shang-Chi would be an "interesting experiment" for the House of Mouse, admitting that it will be yet "another data point" to inform the company's actions going forward.

The head of Disney also took note of the fact that the Disney+ Premiere Access release for Marvel Studios' next movie is "not possible" due to "distribution agreements" currently in place and "the practicality of making last-minute changes."

"On Shang-Chi, we think it's actually going to be an interesting experiment for us because it's got only a 45-day window for us, so the prospect of being able to take a Marvel title to the service after going theatrical for 45 days will be yet another data point to inform our actions going forward on our titles. And again, when we planned Shang-Chi, that title was planned on being in a much more healthy theatrical environment, and at this point, unfortunately, due to distribution agreements that we have and due to the practicality of making last-minute changes, it wouldn't be possible."

Rise Up | Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Marvel Entertainment   Aug 12, 2021

Edited by tv echo

It’s a shame they did it this way. I’m vaccinated, and New York City will shortly be requiring proof of vaccination before allowing people to congregate in theaters. But I just don’t want to wear a mask. 

So I guess I’ll wait until D+. It’s a pity, I was looking forward to it. 

Early Shang-Chi Box Office Projections Suggest Lowest MCU Opening Since Incredible Hulk
BY RICHARD FINK    August 13, 2021
https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-opening-box-office-projection-low-compared/ 

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings could have the lowest opening weekend for an MCU film since The Incredible Hulk. The latest entry in the MCU is the first solo entry for a new hero to the MCU since Captain Marvel back in 2019. Anticipation for the film is high, yet with stories about the Delta variant of the COVID-19 virus increasing, there is a chance audiences may sit out on seeing Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings on opening weekend.

Unlike Black Widow, which was released in theaters on Disney+ Premier Access for $30 on the same day, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will release exclusively in theaters for 45 days before heading to streaming. The move was called an experiment by Disney CEO Bob Chapek, to gauge how comfortable audiences are feeling and how a Marvel film can perform only in theaters at the moment. It is a controversial decision to some, given the rising cases of COVID-19 with audience confidence in returning to the theaters having dipped since Memorial Day weekend.

It appears that it may end up hurting Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' opening box office. According to Boxoffice Pro, long-range tracking for Shang-Chi's opening weekend puts it in the range of $35 to $55 million. At its highest estimates, it would just barely tie with 2008's The Incredible Hulk, which opened to $55.4 million, and would put it below Ant-Man, which opened to $57 million in 2015.
While the projection is low for a Marvel Studios film, given the COVID-19 pandemic, it is still an impressive opening number and could show the strength of the Marvel brand. At its lowest estimation of $35 million, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings would perform better in its opening weekend than Godzilla vs. Kong, Space Jam: A New Legacy, and The Suicide Squad. On its highest estimations, it would be only under F9 and Black Widow for the biggest opening weekends since the pandemic started and would be a big win for Marvel and Disney.

Disney Chief Bob Chapek Defends Hybrid ‘Black Widow’ Release Amid Scarlett Johansson Lawsuit
BY PAMELA MCCLINTOCK    AUGUST 12, 2021
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-defends-hybrid-release-scarlett-johansson-1234996920/ 

The next two releases from Disney’s film studio are receiving an exclusive theatrical release for 45 days: Free Guy, which opens Friday, and Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Sept. 3).

Chapek said the studio is sticking to its plan for those two films, despite a dramatic resurgence of COVID-19 cases that are largely due to the Delta variant. Three months ago, he said, no one knew that the pandemic would grow worse again.
Chapek added that a 45-day exclusive theatrical window for Free Guy — starring Ryan Reynolds — and Shang-Chi will be an interesting experiment. Disney inherited Free Guy when taking over 20th Century Fox. (Chapek said the company didn’t have the same freedom in terms of changing its release pattern.)

Run It - DJ Snake, Rick Ross, Rich Brian | Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Marvel Entertainment   Aug 13, 2021

Edited by tv echo

Simu Liu did not appreciate Chapek’s “interesting experiment” statement. 

‘Shang-Chi’ Star Simu Liu Slams Disney CEO’s Earnings Call Comment: “We Are Not An Experiment”

9 hours ago, tv echo said:

Early Shang-Chi Box Office Projections Suggest Lowest MCU Opening Since Incredible Hulk
BY RICHARD FINK    August 13, 2021
https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-opening-box-office-projection-low-compared/ 

I hate headlines like this. 

Agreed. I don't get why anyone is still talking about the value of box office during a pandemic. What "data points" are Disney expecting to glean that will reflect anything other than the present clusterfuck?

• Love 6

Simu Liu's comments are so weird to me. The release schedule is an experiment. That's not an insult or a debatable statement. It's just an unpleasant fact. It does suck that Black Widow had to suffer from an experimental release strategy, and it sucks that Shang-Chi may suffer from an experimental release. But it doesn't make it any less of an experiment. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

Simu Liu's comments are so weird to me. The release schedule is an experiment. That's not an insult or a debatable statement. It's just an unpleasant fact. It does suck that Black Widow had to suffer from an experimental release strategy, and it sucks that Shang-Chi may suffer from an experimental release. But it doesn't make it any less of an experiment. 

Would they experiment with Black Panther or Spider-Man? To me, his comments give the feeling the Shang-Chi is expendable and shows a lack of understanding of the movies significance. I can understand Chapek’s comments and also feel that it is disrespectful. Part of that is also Marvel’s really shitty track record with Asian characters. There have also been complaints that Disney is under-promoting the movie. 

Man, those shots of Wenwu and Jiang Li are beautiful, and I'm glad to see more of Xialing. I'm excited to see how it all comes together!

8 hours ago, Dani said:

Would they experiment with Black Panther or Spider-Man? To me, his comments give the feeling the Shang-Chi is expendable and shows a lack of understanding of the movies significance. I can understand Chapek’s comments and also feel that it is disrespectful. Part of that is also Marvel’s really shitty track record with Asian characters. There have also been complaints that Disney is under-promoting the movie. 

And Asian-American-led movies still have that Hollywood perception that "any movie that 'fails' means audiences don't want to watch Asian Americans, so if you want to see more, EVERY SINGLE ONE has to do gangbusters!", which makes it worrying when Disney decides to "experiment" with it. If the movie "under performs," are they going to think, "Well, that release strategy was a mistake," or, "Clearly no one wants Asian Americans in movies anymore. Bye, Shang-Chi! You had a good run, Crazy Rich Asians!" (or even, "This wouldn't have happened if we'd cast Tilda Swinton as the Mandarin")?

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

Yeah I didn't get the outrage or insult, especially since the CEO (whose name I still can't remember other than it's close to ChapStick) was talking about all the movies Disney is releasing during a pandemic in a general/business sense. The experiment and, data points seems to be about finding the most profitable (gasp) path forward for the company. 

I'll be honest, I like watching shows on my TV, I've got surround sound, a clear view with no kids talking or crying to ruin the movie and, I finally learned the secret to perfect homemade buttered popcorn.  I just wish Disney would release them free to D+ instead of waiting 45 days. I've watched a lot of movies on HBO Max that I wouldn't have paid to see in theaters (The Suicide Squad, Kong vs Godzilla, Mortal Kombat).  Granted I'm already paying for HBO Max for it's library (hi Babylon 5, I've missed you!)

10 hours ago, Dani said:

Would they experiment with Black Panther or Spider-Man? To me, his comments give the feeling the Shang-Chi is expendable and shows a lack of understanding of the movies significance.

Just making Black Panther was an experiment for Disney, everyone said so when it was being filmed. There was no guarantee it would succeed, let alone be a Billion Dollar Box Office.

What WB is doing with HBO Max is an experiment, what Universal is doing with Fast9 was an Experiment. We're in a Global Pandemic and Studios are basically in a guessing game of when and how to release movies

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, angora said:

Man, those shots of Wenwu and Jiang Li are beautiful, and I'm glad to see more of Xialing. I'm excited to see how it all comes together!

And Asian-American-led movies still have that Hollywood perception that "any movie that 'fails' means audiences don't want to watch Asian Americans, so if you want to see more, EVERY SINGLE ONE has to do gangbusters!", which makes it worrying when Disney decides to "experiment" with it. If the movie "under performs," are they going to think, "Well, that release strategy was a mistake," or, "Clearly no one wants Asian Americans in movies anymore. Bye, Shang-Chi! You had a good run, Crazy Rich Asians!" (or even, "This wouldn't have happened if we'd cast Tilda Swinton as the Mandarin")?

Exactly this. Shang-Chi won’t be judged as a pandemic movie. It kills me that the pandemic has resulted in Disney giving experimental releases to three Asian led movies. Each movie has been poorly handled in some capacity and will be unfairly used to gage interest in Asian-led movies. The weight on these movies is absurd and it is disheartening watching one more being setup to fail. 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Just making Black Panther was an experiment for Disney, everyone said so when it was being filmed. There was no guarantee it would succeed, let alone be a Billion Dollar Box Office.

There is difference between experimenting with making a movie and experimenting with release strategy. However, the fact that a black-led superhero is considered a experiment is so ridiculous and epitomizes exactly why I have a problem with what is happening. Diversity and representation shouldn’t be an experiment but when it is an experiment it shouldn’t then be used for further experimentation. 

Besides that, I really doubt that anyone at Marvel or Disney referred to Black Panther as an experiment publicly and before it’s release. The head of Disney should be hyping the movie rather than, effectively, shrugging his shoulders with indifference. With Black Panther the studio was fully aware of the significance of the movie and wouldn’t have experimented with the release. 

Two areas where Marvel gets zero leeway from me are women and Asians. There handling of both groups isn’t just lacking but it has been downright sexist and racist. 

3 hours ago, Dani said:

With Black Panther the studio was fully aware of the significance of the movie and wouldn’t have experimented with the release. 

Kind of a impossible comparison.  Black Panther was released in a normal theatrical environment.  Right now there is no such thing, nor does it seem likely that there'll be anything like one for several months; Marvel Studios effectively waited a year before releasing Black Widow because Feige wants theatrical, but now they're moving ahead and every release is an experiment in one way or another.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Dani said:

If Black Panther or Spider-Man were the next releases, yes, they would. Because they literally have no choice. We are in the middle of an unpredictable pandemic, and no one knows how/if/when this ends. They tried delaying with Black Widow and ended up releasing straight into the Delta wave. This isn't in their control.

I understand it sucks, and that it's probably extra frustrating for Simu Liu since this is his potential big break into the next level of success. But it is what it is, and I don't see the point in getting annoyed with Chapek for making a truthful statement. All it does is create a negative news cycle.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SeanC said:

Kind of a impossible comparison.  Black Panther was released in a normal theatrical environment.  Right now there is no such thing, nor does it seem likely that there'll be anything like one for several months; Marvel Studios effectively waited a year before releasing Black Widow because Feige wants theatrical, but now they're moving ahead and every release is an experiment in one way or another.

That’s not the comparison I am making. I am saying that I don’t believe that a Black Panther movie would be released now in the way Shang-Chi is being released. It’s not just that they are, hypocritically, going forward with a exclusive theatrical release as COVID numbers soar they are also doing a piss poor job of promoting the film compared to other movies. There was growing feeling of discontent over the film’s treatment even before Chapek’s comment.

As an Asian-American it feels like something that was supposed to be extremely significant for my community isn’t being handled with the same consideration by Disney, again. That breaks my heart because I know that this movies box office will be unfairly viewed as a litmus test. A completely reasonable box office for the situation will be viewed as a failure. 

Shang-Chi is projected to make 35-55 million and the headlines are already calling that a failure. Free Guy just opened with 28 million and the headlines are all about how successful it is. 

48 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

If Black Panther or Spider-Man were the next releases, yes, they would. Because they literally have no choice. We are in the middle of an unpredictable pandemic, and no one knows how/if/when this ends. They tried delaying with Black Widow and ended up releasing straight into the Delta wave. This isn't in their control.

I’m not saying that it is in their control and that isn’t my point. My point is that they wouldn’t refer to Black Panther or Spider-Man in that way even if it was how they actually felt. It would be all about hype while with Shang-Chi it feels like anti-hype. 

48 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

I understand it sucks, and that it's probably extra frustrating for Simu Liu since this is his potential big break into the next level of success. But it is what it is, and I don't see the point in getting annoyed with Chapek for making a truthful statement. All it does is create a negative news cycle.

Sorry if this feels negative to you but I feel pretty damn negative watching what is happening in my community. It’s not just that this was supposed to be a big break for an actor it was supposed to be a big moment for a community. I’m sure many people will feel that is overblown for a movie but the simple truth is that representation matters and has a much larger significance than just being a movie. To me, Chapek’s comments show that he doesn’t understand that. 

Edited by Guest
18 minutes ago, Dani said:

Sorry if this feels negative to you but I feel pretty damn negative watching what is happening in my community.

I don't mean that it feels negative to me. I mean it creates a news cycle with a negative focus, which I don't think is ever helpful to a release. Simu Liu has to think about things like that.

2 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I don't mean that it feels negative to me. I mean it creates a news cycle with a negative focus, which I don't think is ever helpful to a release. Simu Liu has to think about things like that.

Interestingly, this is more the way I feel about Chapek’s statement. That he needs to think about how his comments reflect. Sadly the onus is often on the POC to not make waves.

As to Simu’s statement, I would say there is a difference between a negative focus and a rallying cry. Maybe it’s not always the smartest choice is but I really appreciate that he is out there being a very vocal supporter of Asian representation. 

Edited by Guest

From Fandango...

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Exclusive Movie Clip - Scaffolding Escape (2021)
Movieclips Coming Soon   August 16, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

There will be a post-credits scene...

‘SHANG CHI’ DIRECTOR DESTIN DANIEL CRETTON REVEALS NEW DETAILS ABOUT MARVEL’S NEXT BIG HISTORIC ACTION MOVIE
Erik Davis   August 16, 2021
https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/shang-chi-director-destin-daniel-cretton-reveals-new-details-about-marvels-next-big-historic-action-movie-754385 

Fandango: So how would you say this film is unique and different from what we've seen from the Marvel Cinematic Universe before?
Destin Daniel Cretton:
What I love about Marvel movies is that they like to change things up. I think they like to push limits within the world that they've created, but there's such a cohesiveness to the world that they’re creating too, so it still all makes sense. This movie is the first time that I think Marvel has put a lot of their emphasis in the action design and, specifically, the choreography. And it's their first time really tackling a more purely martial arts movie, which is super exciting to be a part of. They obviously didn't hire me because I'm amazing at martial arts movies, so there's also a very strong emotional, dramatic and comedic element to these characters.

I really fell in love with these characters as we were making [the film], and I think that is something that Marvel continuously does well, is create characters that you can really relate to. And then the most obvious thing is that this is an all Asian and Asian-American cast, which, for me personally, is extremely exciting to have been able to be a part of.

Fandango: This is the second film in the MCU’s Phase Four. The first, Black Widow, was a prequel set between Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War. With regards to the MCU timeline, when is Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings set?
Destin Daniel Cretton:
Shang-Chi is set in the present day in the MCU timeline.

Fandango: Okay. So, like post-Blip, present day, is where we’re at?
Destin Daniel Cretton:
Yeah, yeah.

Fandango: If Black Widow is a spy thriller, what kind of film would you say Shang-Chi is?
Destin Daniel Cretton:
I think Shang-Chi is a cross between a classic kung fu film and a family drama, but it's also really funny.
Fandango: Talk about the film's hero, Shang-Chi. This is a character folks have been trying to bring to the big screen for a while now. What is your favorite thing about the character?
Destin Daniel Cretton:
I mean, I find Shang-Chi and his journey extremely relatable. He is somebody who has a lot of pain in his past. He's now in his twenties and he is only just beginning to learn how to deal with it. He is a lot like me and a lot of people that we all know, where we have a tendency to cover up our trauma and pain with humor and act like everything's fine when it's not. I think Shang-Chi does that, to a point. We find him in this movie facing things for the first time that he's been trying to avoid for a very long time. I think his journey is a journey of self-discovery. It's a journey of stepping into who he is and what he's meant to be in this world. I think that's something that, at least, is very relatable to me — and I think it'll be very relatable to a lot of people.

Fandango: We've seen other MCU heroes wrestle with the relationship that they have with their families, specifically their parents. How does the complicated dynamic between Shang-Chi and his father, Wenwu, present a fresh take, with regards to the MCU? What is that relationship like?
Destin Daniel Cretton:
I think what Tony Leung brought to the character [Wenwu] is something that is so surprising, whether it's for the MCU or just the superhero genre in general. Tony brings layers — layers to this character that are extremely unexpected. He is not a two-dimensional villain. He is a fully realized human who may not make decisions that you agree with, but I do think you will relate to the reasons that pushed him to make those decisions. I think with regards to the conflict between Shang-Chi and his dad, one of the things that we really wanted to remind people of is that, even though this relationship is very conflicted and has a lot of complications to it, there is always love. There is always love there between father and son and the entire family. In a lot of ways that love is the root of their pain [and] that is pushing them to do things that may not be so nice.
Fandango: Right on. And what about the Ten Rings? What is this organization? How can you set them up? We were originally introduced to this shadowy organization back in the first Iron Man film, and so who are they when we meet them in your film and what threat are they posing to the world and to our characters?
Destin Daniel Cretton:
I mean, that's going to be the fun of watching this movie -- understanding who the Ten Rings are finally and seeing how they are. I don't want to say too much before people watch it, but it was really fun to dig into the Ten Rings and answer a lot of questions that were posed early on, before we were ever even imagining we'd be a part of telling the MCU story. But it has been very satisfying to paint a full picture of who the Ten Rings are — and specifically who they are to the father of Shang-Chi, our Wenwu character. And I think you'll find in this movie that the Ten Rings — there's a lot of meaning behind the Ten Rings, both the physical Ten Rings and the organization of the Ten Rings and how they affect our two leads. That is a huge part of this movie.
Fandango: Tim Roth is returning as Abomination in this film. I think that’s surprising to fans to see that character again since it’s been over a decade since he first appeared in The Incredible Hulk. Is there anything you can say about how he factors into this plot?
Destin Daniel Cretton:
He's big and scary and looks really cool. I can't really say anything about Abomination [laughs].
Fandango: Did you change the way he looks in this film? Last time we saw this character was over a decade ago…
Destin Daniel Cretton:
I think Abomination got a bit of an upgrade… or we might call it an evolution going through time. I do really love the design that we landed on for that character.

Fandango: Before I let you go, I also have to ask you about a post-credits scene.  Should audiences stick around for the credits?
Destin Daniel Cretton:
Audiences should most definitely stick around!

Icon | Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Marvel Entertainment   Aug 16, 2021

Marvel Team-Up | Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Tickets on Sale | Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Kevin Feige response to the controversies about Shang-Chi in China
Gavin Feng  Aug 16, 2021

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The first reaction from the premiere has been very positive so far. Lots of praise for Simu and the action sequences. 

It's so on!! I know first reactions tend to be really effusive, but it seems like so many people are really down on this movie sight unseen, so it's great to hear such enthusiastic praise from people who've actually seen it.

• Love 1

I don't trust those types of "early reactions", for any movie. They're always over-the-top positive, even for what later turn out to be terrible movies & flops. I've literally never seen an early reaction, for any film, that was like "meh, it was OK.". So I'll wait for some general audience reactions before deciding to see it now or just wait a month & a half.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, angora said:

It's so on!! I know first reactions tend to be really effusive, but it seems like so many people are really down on this movie sight unseen, so it's great to hear such enthusiastic praise from people who've actually seen it.

I agree. They have to be taken with a grain of salt but they reactions are even better than what is normal for a Marvel movie. It makes me think that it will be a better than average Marvel movie and one of the stronger origin stories. 

The critics who usually give more honest (and frequently negative) first reactions have been positive. 

Edited by Guest

There are fan screenings in 25 major markets tomorrow night. It’s a good sign that they think the reaction will be positive but it also means there will be spoilers popping up all over social media.

The first day pre-sales were just under Black Widow and that was before the positive first reaction.  

On 8/15/2021 at 6:20 PM, Zuleikha said:

I think that it is worse for Shang Chi. While Black Widow released into talk about the Delta variant wave governments worldwide are now reinstalling local restrictions to combat the Delta. We will see where we are in two weeks

• Love 1

Live red carpet premiere on August 16...

World Premiere | Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Marvel Entertainment   Aug 17, 2021

If you want to watch the full video of the live red carpet premiere (1:29:37 length):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gmUCorMXIo

Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Red Carpet | Best Moments
Marvel Entertainment   Aug 17, 2021

Kevin Feige Has Always Dreamt of a Shang-Chi Movie | Red Carpet LIVE

Destin Daniel Cretton on Directing Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings!

Simu Liu Makes His Super Hero Debut LIVE | Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Awkwafina On Stunt Driving and More Secrets | Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi Red Carpet LIVE

Fala Chen on how Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi Changed Her Life

Meng'er Zhang's Marvel Muscles | Marvel Studios Shang-Chi Red Carpet LIVE

Benedict Wong on Leaving the Library | Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi Red Carpet LIVE

From Aaron Couch of The Hollywood Reporter...

Also FYI:
What’s Coming To Disney+ In September 2021 (US)
August 17, 2021
https://whatsondisneyplus.com/whats-coming-to-disney-in-september-2021-us/ 

Wednesday 1st September
Marvel Studios Legends
“Marvel Studios Legends” serves as an exciting refresher for the various heroes and villains making their way to the highly anticipated streaming shows premiering on Disney+, setting the stage for the upcoming adventures. The episode will feature The Ten Rings.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The reaction from the advanced screenings are starting to come in and they are extremely positive. I’m seeing a lot of comments that it is in the top tier of MCU movies and their best origin story. I actually haven’t seen a negative reaction yet. Even with a box office hurt by COVID this seems like a major victory. Although it’s still frustrating that it won’t have the opportunity to do what Black Panther and Captain Marvel did at the box office. 

This article compiled several of the media reactions on twitter (including the one below)...

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Reactions Arrive Online
By Kirsten Howard   August 18, 2021
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-the-ten-rings-reactions/ 

FYI:
Shang-Chi Has Two Post-Credits Scenes
BY RACHEL LABONTE    PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-movie-post-credits-scenes-confirmed/ 

Right now, Shang-Chi's future is unclear, but the movie's post-credits scenes can provide some clues. Marvel has become known for attaching extra moments to their credits to tease what's to come, and Shang-Chi won't be an exception. It will have two post-credits scenes, as confirmed through the world premiere that took place on Monday.

Spoiler:
[OMITTED WORDS] Confirms His MCU Return in 'Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings'

Spoiler

One of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' secrets has been revealed early, as Sir Ben Kingsley made a surprise appearance at Monday's red carpet premiere and confirmed he is indeed making his return to the MCU in the movie.

"As you just saw, I was talking to Kevin Feige," Kingsley told ET's Matt Cohen, "and thanks to Kevin and Robert Downey Jr. and Drew Pearce and Shane Black, I am in this movie and I'm a member of the Marvel family, because their welcome on Iron Man 3 was so astonishing and generous that I'm still with Marvel again. And I'm delighted to be here!"

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Interview with Tony Leung Chiu-wai (Wenwu/the Mandarin) for Elle Men Singapore:

The admiration for his genius intensifies with the knowledge that the celebrated actor was deliberately kept from background references, and was only given the script a month before filming commenced. “When [Marvel] offered me the role, what they wanted was for me to create a brand new Mandarin, so I got to develop my character along with the filming,” he says. “I’ve never approached Wenwu from a villain’s standpoint. Rather, I tried to explore the reasons that led him to become who he is. He’s a man with history, who craves to be loved. He is also human, and he has a family. As I read [the script], I began to consider the many reasons why he’d turn out the way he is — a sociopath, a narcissist, a bigot.”

[...]

It isn’t too much of a stretch to find Leung caught up in his feels, for his character at hand, at least. Many would agree that his on-screen allure comes from his ability to draw upon expertly suppressed emotion; the kind that subconsciously tugs on heartstrings. Case in point: even a seemingly simple line in the Shang-Chi trailer “Be careful how you speak to me, boy” drips with menace, yet is laced with undertones of fatherly love. Such nuanced evocation can only come with years of experience, and it stems from Leung’s ability to shape fictional characters into people that everyday moviegoers can empathise with. “I feel, in order to convince someone, you must first be a believer yourself. And, to believe in the role you play, you must come up with a backstory that is as detailed as possible,” he says. “What kind of food does he like? What is his upbringing? What would he say when he visits someone at their home? A person that’s just like you and I, who has preferences. You have to be very precise.”

[...]

He bursts into merry laughter on the topic of fight scenes, which are aplenty in Shang-Chi. “When I spoke with Destin in the beginning, he said I didn’t need to fight because I have ‘the rings’!” he says. “If I’d known earlier, I would’ve trained for it beforehand to handle the physical demands of the role. It’s definitely my biggest challenge playing Wenwu.” Such is his personal conviction that he practises: to “do” the scenes himself if he’s able to — like in The Grandmaster, where he spent four years learning and practising kung fu, even breaking his arm twice. “This is also a way to better develop the role, as well as boost confidence. It helps me really get into character,” he adds. “I get really frustrated when I’m unable to do what is required well, so I always try my best. I think it’s a ‘me’ thing.”

Lol that they wouldn't let him look at the comics - Destin Daniel Cretton's no dummy! "Tony, I know you've never done a Hollywood movie because you don't want to perpetuate Asian stereotypes, but rest assured, that's not what's happening here. Now, let me show you a picture of your character."

IronManMandarin071412-thumb-330x349-9599

By all accounts, Destin, Tony, and co. have gone the M'Baku route and created a fantastically-compelling character out something originally rooted in offensive stereotypes. Can't wait to see it! (Once I find an off-peak showing with few enough people that I feel comfortable going into a movie theater - sigh. This is why we can't have nice things, people.)

• Love 4

On 8/15/2021 at 12:40 AM, Dani said:

That's the interpretation I had as well when Chapek made those comments, and I can understand how Simu Liu took offense.  I can fully understand how Liu interpreted those comments to mean "well Marvel has never had an Asian superhero leading a movie, so let's see what happens, if it bombs then it confirms that we shouldn't have tried it because the market isn't there.  Moreover, Scarlett Johansson sued us and we don't want that to happen again, so just to stick it to all those people who are supporting her, we aren't going to release the next movie simultaneously in the theatres and on the Plus, so people can't claim the Plus release hurt the box office.  When this movie fails, we will have some ammunition in our fight against Scarlett and prove to her and the world that the simultaneous release was beneficial.  What's the next movie?  'Shang-Chi'?  Oh too bad so sad, sucks to be them.  Can't win them all, we will let this one bomb to prove our point, and then release 'Eternals' simultaneously like we did with 'Black Widow'.  Suck it Scarlett!"

On 8/15/2021 at 8:40 PM, Dani said:

As an Asian-American it feels like something that was supposed to be extremely significant for my community isn’t being handled with the same consideration by Disney, again. That breaks my heart because I know that this movies box office will be unfairly viewed as a litmus test. A completely reasonable box office for the situation will be viewed as a failure. 

Shang-Chi is projected to make 35-55 million and the headlines are already calling that a failure. Free Guy just opened with 28 million and the headlines are all about how successful it is. 

This.  And "the worst performing movie since 'The Incredible Hulk' ", which seems to be generally considered a Marvel bomb.  There are still two weeks to go until wide release, more and more locales are going back to mask mandates, delta is rising, and I think that will affect the box office.  The media should take that into account if they are going to talk about box office performance.

I'm happy to read there have been very positive reviews.

• Love 5

Shang-Chi Will Influence MCU's Future Says Marvel Head
BY PAUL SHIREY    AUGUST 20, 2021
https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-mcu-future-influence-kevin-feige-response/ 

In an exclusive interview with Screen Rant, Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige says that Shang-Chi will have "a great influence on the future" of the MCU. Feige went on the explain that all Marvel superheroes brought into the MCU are important and integral, with Shang-Chi being no different. Being the first new major character to emerge in Phase 4, Shang-Chi is expected to be a major success for the brand, just as all of the films in the series have been thus far. Read what Feige had to say below:

Kevin Feige: I think, as with every Marvel superhero that we bring into the MCU, all of them are important and integral in the future, and their characters are what shape the future of the MCU. And now that people have met and seen the origin of Shang-Chi, it is safe to say he will have a great influence on the future.

Sneak peek clip:
"Does He Look Like He Can Fight?” Clip | Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Marvel Entertainment   Aug 20, 2021

Breath | Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

In The Dark - Swae Lee feat. Jhené Aiko | Marvel Studios' Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Edited by tv echo

Red-carpet interviews from Variety, mostly talking about the impact of this moment and what it means to be debuting the first Asian-led superhero movie, especially against the current backdrop of anti-Asian harassment/attacks. But we do also get Meng'er Zhang reminiscing about the time she accidentally punched Simu Liu in the face during training and Ronny Chieng realizing he was probably one of the few people on that red carpet who CAN'T do a standing back-flip.

ETA - more press! Awkwafina and Simu Liu were both on Jimmy Kimmel this week (with guest host Sean Hayes.)

Here's. Awkwafina (Shang-Chi stuff starts around 6:20):

And Simu:

Edited by angora
Added more videos
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, tv echo said:

Sneak peek clip:
"Does He Look Like He Can Fight?” Clip | Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

I love the Rumble in the Bronx homage with the jacket and pole. Including members of Jackie Chan’s stunt team really paid off.