Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: The Killabustas

Trini
  • Start Topic

Despite Gil's fatherly concerns, Bright throws himself into a new case involving an escalating killer that has Edrisa's online vigilante group, known as the "Killabustas," trying to stop him. Meanwhile, Jessica realizes that she must dive deep into her past traumas in order to write a book and may need Gil's help to do it. Then, Martin's relationship with Dr. Capshaw intensifies.

Airdate: April 20, 2021

209_prodigal-son_photo15.jpg

Ok I think I am at the right thread now.   Silly me posted on previous episode thread without thinking.  

I know a lot of people ship Malcolm and Dani but Malcolm and Edrisa have so much more in common.   But I am glad she got a taste of happiness with Blaze.  Would love the relationship to continue for a few episodes.

I am  starting to think Dr. Capshaw has a weird serial killer fetish or she wants to be one one herself.   She was definitely giving Martin mixed signals before the full on sex with him.  I am really loving the storyline though.

Watching Gil and Jessica be happy even for a moment is fun.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

I enjoyed this episode. Not sure how I feel about Zeta Jones character. One minute she acts like she's disgusted by Martin and the next she's humping the man.

I love how we were misled with Blaze being the killer. I feared for her for a moment. Glad Dr. Tanaka found someone, but I'm sure she would drop him in hot a second if she a had a chance with Malcolm. 😆 

I like Gil and Jessica moment together in the garage. That was sweet. I really like Dani and Malcolm together. She really cares about him, but I held my breath hoping he was not going confess to her. That will not end well for him or his family.

Glad Ainsley wasn't in this episode. Im sick of her.

• Love 5

Love Edrisa finding someone that appreciates her for who and what she is.  I hope Blaze sticks around. 

I like Malcolm and Dani, but starting anything right now would be a disaster b/c he would have to lie to her.  Telling her wouldn't be an option.  I go back to the hallucination episode earlier in the season...he wants to be with her, but he doesn't think he's right or normal or not fucked up enough for someone like Dani.  That makes me sad for Malcolm.  Tom Payne's sweet eyes and face at the very last scene where he felt like he had to rush her out before things heated up broke my heart for him. 

Martin Sheen and Catherine Z-J chewing scenery is fun! I so thoroughly enjoyed Alan Cumming and would love to find a reason (not Enticott) to have him back.

Gil and Jessica have such chemistry.

I didn't miss Ainsley at all...sorry, not sorry. 

• Love 8
(edited)

If this was a a normal season, would this have been the Valentine's episode? There was a lot of coupling up in this one.

I'm glad they changed up the formula a bit. Seeing more of Edrisa - outside of talking over corpses and crushing on Malcolm - was fun. I was also rooting for her and Blaze. (LOL - a firefighter named 'Blaze', they're perfect!)

I'm not sure what they're going for with Martin and Dr. Capshaw, but right now it's gross.

I 'love' how this show has Malcolm get hit by a car, but he basically shrugs it off. Looks like the stress of keeping the murder secret is going to mess with his head even more. I'm not sure how they plan to resolve this situation with Endicott; because it can't stay a secret forever, and I'm 80% sure none of the Whitleys will go to prison for it.

Aw, Gil and Jessica are back on again! That was a sweet scene at his garage.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 6

I really did miss Ainsley since she is my favorite character on the show.  )What?! I like when good girls go bad. And I love watching her spiral and manipulate those around her especially Malcolm.  Shows get boring when the bad guys are always guys.   But I understand she wasn’t necessary for this episode considering it was a combo Lifetime/Hallmark romance episode.  

Malcolm and Dani was just sad but then I don’t like them together and am not looking forward to them getting together. Martin and Capshaw was the kind of twisted I enjoy on my tv.    And Gil and Jessica have always had this sweet mismatched chemistry.    And even Edrisa (my second favorite character) got some loving.

Edited by Chaos Theory

When they announced an Edrissa-centric episode I was nervous. I think she's best in smaller doses otherwise it's all too zany. But her part of the story was the strongest. I like that they went in a "Don't F*#k with Cats" direction and gave her people who are also zany to balance her out. And I do like the plot wasn't quite as brutal as the real life inspiration which is horrifying to say considering there was still a body part delivery.

Everything happening with Martin and Dr. Catherine Zeta-Jones is bad. I don't understand her, I don't understand her choices and I feel like they are flying through whatever this plot is supposed to be. And what was going on with Father Christian Borle? It's awful writing and I don't blame Dr. CZJ for her acting being all over the place because who could make sense of this? (And I think the fact that I know no one's name is a sign of how underdeveloped this entire plot is.)

The Jessica/Gil stuff was boring and weird. Why was she all dressed up to visit him while he's working on a car? These are two grown ass adults. Put them together or don't but all this back and forth is weird and childish. 

Malcolm and his hallucinations and whatever he's got going on with Dani are a retread of stuff we've already seen this season for the same reason. He needs a CT scan or something because his brain is damaged. He's obviously not going to tell Dani about covering up a murder.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Driad said:

Malcolm said something to Dani about not helping Nat enough.  Who is/was Nat?

She was Endicott's courier minion who was the killer in the previous episode.

• Love 1

I was disappointed that Jessica was wearing clothes under her big furry coat when she went to visit Gil. It is a shame that Edrisa couldn't visit Malcolm's apartment by alone, I am sure they would of had a great conversation about his decorating choices.

• LOL 1

I like that they're not showing Edrisa just pining for Malcolm.  She has a crush, but she's also living her life, getting dates, etc.  I kind of love that she thought the restraints on Malcolm's bed were for bondage.  I know most people would probably think that, but she knows about his night terrors/sleep walking dangers. 

• Love 7

Loved getting an Edrisa centered episode, it was fun seeing some of what she gets up to off of work (a LOT of murder boards) and she even found a new love interest. Blaze seems like a good guy and he and Edrisa seem like a really good match, I hope that we see him again or just have Edrisa mention going out with him offscreen. The case of the week was fun, they kept me guessing until the one guy mentioned that he was a trucker and then I knew it was him. No suspect just tosses out random information like that so close to the end of the case for no reason. 

I have come to like Dani/Malcolm more and more, but them getting together right now is a terrible idea. He would have to lie to her about what happened with Ainsley and it would absolutely come out later and seriously hurt any relationship they might start. He wants to be with her and I think she would be open to starting something with him, its clear that she really cares about him, but he thinks he's way too badly damaged to be with her, even beyond him covering up Endicotts murder. Its really sad, he sees himself as this deeply broken toxic person who can never be in a healthy relationship because of his demons, even though that's not true at all. He probably should get in a better place mentally before starting a relationship, and get this whole cover up dealt with, but I hope they can make it work eventually. 

At least Gil and Jessica are making it work again, they have so much chemistry. Plus them getting together would drive Martin absolutely nuts, even if he has a new prison girlfriend. I am not sure what is going on with Martin and Catherine Z/B but they are really having fun bringing the drama together. 

• Love 6

I wondering if you knew why does Malcolm beat himself up over endicott so much clearly his mother and sister don’t seem to be bothered about the murder at all , his mother is writing a book his sister is a cold blooded killer he only chopped up the body he didn’t kill him I think if he told dani she would have to turn him in. I am not sure about Gil he might not but Malcolm needs to talk to someone it’s driving nuts.

Edrisa drains the life out of the show for me. The episodes without her creepy, stalker, obsessive self are so much more enjoyable. Perhaps the Blaze pairing will tone all of that down.

I am fine with Malcolm and Dani, but he seriously needs therapy before any pairing isn’t the latest Malcolm disaster waiting to happen.

What’s with all the couplings. Thankfully, JT is married, I don’t think the episode could take another love match.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 3

I don't understand how they can tell from just the legs whether or not the victim was conscious. Alive or not, I get but not conscious or not.

I like that they decided to go in a functional relationship direction with Jessica and Malcolm. I tend to agree with Malcolm that art therapy may not be his answer, but I enjoy them regardless. I didn't miss Ainsley at all.

I enjoyed seeing more Edrisa which surprised me. She hasn't been my favorite lately. Blaze in particular really worked for me with her. I hope he sticks around., even if it's offscreen.

Just now, tennisgurl said:

At least Gil and Jessica are making it work again, they have so much chemistry. Plus them getting together would drive Martin absolutely nuts, even if he has a new prison girlfriend. I am not sure what is going on with Martin and Catherine Z/B but they are really having fun bringing the drama together. 

They really do have chemistry. I'm ready for them to do more than dance with it. I laughed out loud when Gil was speechless when Malcolm brought up Jessica at the crime scene. Way to keep your composure dude. He's going to have to do better than that when Martin finds out, which should be gold.

The prison girlfriend situation is weird for me. I feel like they are trying to make it twisted and sexy, but Martin is so not sexy to me. It's just twisted and gross. The actors are definitely going for it though which improves it somewhat. They give it a sick energy. I still find it interesting that they went with a girlfriend who looks so much like Jessica.

I just don't care about Dani/Malcolm. I must have missed it when she became interested in him. She's always liked him but I never thought she saw him as relationship material. Now all of a sudden she's putting the moves on him.

Edited by l star
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, l star said:

I don't understand how they can tell from just the legs whether or not the victim was conscious. Alive or not, I get but not conscious or not.

I like that they decided to go in a functional relationship direction with Jessica and Malcolm. I tend to agree with Malcolm that art therapy may not be his answer, but I enjoy them regardless. I didn't miss Ainsley at all.

I enjoyed seeing more Edrisa which surprised me. She hasn't been my favorite lately. Blaze in particular really worked for me with her. I hope he sticks around., even if it's offscreen.

They really do have chemistry. I'm ready for them to do more than dance with it. I laughed out loud when Gil was speechless when Malcolm brought up Jessica at the crime scene. Way to keep your composure dude. He's going to have to do better than that when Martin finds out, which should be gold.

The prison girlfriend situation is weird for me. I feel like they are trying to make it twisted and sexy, but Martin is so not sexy to me. It's just twisted and gross. The actors are definitely going for it though which improves it somewhat. They give it a sick energy. I still find it interesting that they went with a girlfriend who looks so much like Jessica.

I just don't care about Dani/Malcolm. I must have missed it when she became interested in him. She's always liked him but I never thought she saw him as relationship material. Now all of a sudden she's putting the moves on him.

We need to see more from Dani's side of things.  It's very clear she cares for him and enjoys his company, but with Gil saying stuff like "keep an eye on him", you have to wonder how much is Dani doing her job, and how much is Dani being interested.

• Love 1

I must be the only one who loves the idea of Martin and Capshaw.  It is twisted in the way this show leans into twisted.  This show has never been a romance or even really a pure procedural and the show needed to keep Martin relevant.   I mean if Malcolm needs to go to dad for every case then Malcolm really isn’t cut out to be a profiler.   But if Martin had his own story including a break out and maybe finding someone who truly understands him warts and all then that is actually a fascinating story for him.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/23/2021 at 7:03 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I must be the only one who loves the idea of Martin and Capshaw.  It is twisted in the way this show leans into twisted.  

Is it, though? I mean, there has to be something there to twist. She's a new character that we know barely anything about and then she's suddenly having sex with him; I don't know what the show wants me to do with this information. Whether it's a romance or not, the buildup wasn't there, IMO.

Her being a serial killer fangirl was predictable, so I was hoping they weren't going that route.

I agree that with Martin around more he needs his own stories, and yeah, the break out plans are one; but I'm not going to be impressed if they only introduced Capshaw just for her to be screwed over by Martin.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
On 4/21/2021 at 2:02 AM, Trini said:

I 'love' how this show has Malcolm get hit by a car, but he basically shrugs it off.

Well they already had him fall three+ flights down an empty elevator shaft and walk away with nothing but a slight concussion. He’s basically Bruce Willis in “Unbreakable” now!

I knew as soon as I saw that one of the Killabusters was Steven Boyer that he would turn out to actually be the killer. Ah the perils of being too familiar with names in the Broadway community! Ruins the mystery in shows like this and Law & Order! 😆 

I really do not need or want to see Martin have a romance with some crazy serial killer fangirl. I was really hoping there was more to her character and she was playing him for some reason, but nope. She’s just that crazy.

• Love 1

I'm now fast-forwarding through the Martin/Capshaw scenes. It's cringe worthy and I see no chemistry between the two actors at all.  CZJ isn't working for me on this show.  Even if there is some sort of twist coming, I just don't care.

I'm one who thinks Edrisa is best in small doses but I liked seeing her with the other Killabustas.  They could spin them off into their own show and I'd watch it.  I know Malcolm is rooting for Blaze to stick around, lol.

Finally a Jessica and Gil moment! I ship them but wasn't his wife still alive when he was talking about when Jessica would come around and make time slow down?  

I also really like Malcolm and Dani.  She could be his moment of calm in a life of crazy but now he's got this huge secret he has to keep from her, not to mention the rest of the team.  He has knowledge of a murder and helped to cover it up. Hell, he dismembered the body.  Come to think of it, that secret also looms large over any future Jessica and Gil might have.  Meanwhile, Ainsley makes murder jokes and seems oblivious to her brother and mother.  I didn't miss her at all this episode. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rove4 said:

Finally a Jessica and Gil moment! I ship them but wasn't his wife still alive when he was talking about when Jessica would come around and make time slow down?  

Either I never learned that info or completely forgot he had a wife!

22 hours ago, rove4 said:

It’s been stated that Gil was still single when he arrested Martin.   They dated for like five seconds but back then Jessica was in a REAL BAD PLACE and still obsessed with getting back into “polite society 1% club” which she was born into so being seen with the simple beat cop wasn’t going to do that.   Gil later met his wife.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 1
On 4/21/2021 at 4:29 PM, cameron said:

Still holding on to my opinion that Catherine Zeta Jones hasn't aged well or has had bad facial plastic surgery.

It’s the plastic surgery. It’s always the plastic surgery. Now instead of just looking older than she did 20 years ago, she is older with bad plastic surgery. It’s a pity because she was such a beautiful woman - and still would be without the surgery. 

• Love 1
On 4/27/2021 at 10:57 AM, rove4 said:

They could spin them off into their own show and I'd watch it

Me too. I really hope they come back to the show in a future episode. And I definitely hope Edrissa's romance lasts.

• Love 2
On 4/28/2021 at 8:10 AM, Chaos Theory said:

It’s been stated that Gil was still single when he arrested Martin.   They dated for like five seconds but back then Jessica was in a REAL BAD PLACE and still obsessed with getting back into “polite society 1% club” which she was born into so being seen with the simple beat cop wasn’t going to do that.   Gil later met his wife.

Ahhh, okay. Thanks for the clarification.  The exact history was muddled in my head. 

(edited)

Aka The one where everybody in the cast finally Gets Some (except, of course, Bright and Dani).

I was so sure that Blaze was going to be either the killer or another victim.  Happy to see that wasn't the case.  Man, if only the show was renewed can you imagine the possible plot lines for Mr. July and Kamasutures??

Edited by Sile
  • Love 1

This episode was so much fun. Loved that they showed Edrisa having her own things that she enjoys and being seen as desirable. 

My husband and I got behind on this series and watched this episode a week or so ago, and were planning to binge the last few. But then, the Jessica and Gil moment was so perfectly, beautifully done, I made us wait, because I didn't trust that they'd get to be happy and didn't want to watch them falling apart in the next episode, or something. And I haven't spoiled myself. But I wasn't even going to watch this series until I saw Lou Diamond Phillips was on it and he's been consistently perfect but yowee was he sexy as hell in that scene (repeated viewings confirm). And Bellamy Young as Jessica has been a joy to watch. I love this show and I guess we're going to have to watch the last episodes, but I'm going to be said no matter what because I have enjoyed the excellently cast, wonderfully batshit show.  

• Love 3