Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E10: Polygamy Hell

• Start Topic

The Browns are such a horribly dysfunctional family that I don't know whether to feel sorry for the 3 notRobyns or to feel like they just deserve what they get from Kody. What Kody put on display in this latest show should have killed any love or respect that Christine ever felt for this monster. He has shown in his words and deeds this season that he doesn't give a damn about her or Meri. And now he has let it be known publicly  that he doesn't care if his own daughter is in extreme pain for another 6 months. What more does he have to do to drive them away?  I hope that there is not some legal entaglement with the homes and land that requires Christine upon sale of her home to put the equity that she receives in a joint family account. But I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
7 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

I agree that if she had an ounce of brains, she would leave that scumbag of a "husband". However...Christine has been making easy TLC money for about 10 years and has a $400,000 house she can sell if she chooses to leave Kody and Flagstaff to make a fresh start. Not to mention her share of the land on Rodent Poop Pass.

I haven't got the slightest inclination to give her one dime of my money.

True. The cynical part of me wonders how much some of their greed/materialism plays in their choice to stay. 

• Love 14

Meri looks softer and girlier this episode especially in her TH's. Christine looked really pretty when they were all talking outside on the picnic tables. She also looked really nice when she was talking to Kody alone. But jokes on Kody about the wives reaction. When his favorite wife Robyn openly disrespects and laughs in his face all the time on national television. Even when he does whatever she says.

• Love 8

I've always liked Hunter the most out of the boys haha. To me he looks the most like Janelle. I think he was sitting by his mom to let everyone know who he sides with and a F you to Kody lol. I wonder if Robyn and Kody talked prior before they all met up at the picnic tables. It seemed like he was just talking to the 3 wives directly. Like he was saying what Robyn and him both agree on. I've never seen Robyn that quiet and then it looked like she sat where her and Kody could be in an authoritative way lol.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13

I don't know if it is greed so much as none of them are really equiped to go out into the real world and make a living. Ceretainly not Robyn, or Christine.  Lula Roe sales will dry up once the show ends. What is the draw for Meri's Pawowan B&B when the show ends unless it appeals to other plural families. Although Maybe Parowan has some historical significance for tourists.  Janelle well if she weren't so lazy she could revise her real estate business or go back to accounting. I can't see anyone hiring Kody the scammer and you know Robyn had pneumonia once and can't put herself at risk. Like so many other reality show players the Browns have become dependent on TLC money and will be lost when it dries up. That's why none of the wives will leave and they are hanging on to the show for dear life. 

Edited by 65mickey
  • Love 21
11 hours ago, bobalina said:

I was 5 in 1st grade but I could already read and had been learning for 3 years. Sol has 2 parents and a bunch if older brothers and sisters. There is no excuse for his not being age proficient except parental laziness.

9 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Even if he’s the youngest in his class, at 8 years old he should be fully reading, he should not be “learning to read.”  My 11 yo has ADHD and he was reading at the end of preschool if I remember correctly.  Not War and Peace or anything, but age appropriate books.  Scholastic has a good guide according to age, in my opinion.  

Are Robyn’s kids homeschooled?  I know that kids are not where they should be because of the pandemic, but if they are homeschooled I’d think they should be on track.

Maybe he is dyslexic.

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
Just now, aimlessbird said:

Robyn Brown needs to take a long hard look at how her white knight of a husband treats and interacts with his other wives and children.  For a woman who proclaims continuously that she was mistreated and abused by her first purity stealing husband she should be horrified at how Kody treated Ysabel and Christine and at the cold inhumane way he spoke to Ysabel.  Even if the way he treats and speaks to Meri seems justified to Robyn it is still heartless and cruel,  It is abusive.  So much for standing up for other woman Robyn.  This also goes to Janelle to a lesser extent.

Is this family so dysfunctional that Robyn does not see the abuse and emotional neglect Kody inflicts continuously on other family members?  Or is it she doesn't care as long as she and her children are sitting pretty?

The  hour finale was sickening.

My vote is for “just doesn’t care.” As long as Robyn get a what Robyn wants, the rest of the wives can go kick rocks. 

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, OdinO. said:

Maybe he is dyslexic.

I believe that Solomon is very shy.  He may have felt to be under a lot of pressure being alone with Kody and being filmed.  I mean Sol watched Kody belittle Truely over a bike ride.  He doesn't want to be the next target.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
32 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I don't know if it is greed so much as none of them are really equiped to go out into the real world and make a living. Ceretainly not Robyn, or Christine.  Lula Roe sales will dry up once the show ends. What is the draw for Meri's Pawowan B&B when the show ends unless it appeals to other plural families. Although Maybe Parowan has some historical significance for tourists.  Janelle well if she weren't so lazy she could revise her real estate business or go back to accounting. I can't see anyone hiring Kody the scammer and you know Robyn had pneumonia once and can't put herself at risk. Like so many other reality show players the Browns have become dependent on TLC money and will be lost when it dries up. That's why none of the wives will leave and they are hanging on to the show for dear life. 

True although I think they are very used to a certain lifestyle now after 10 years on the show. I can’t really imagine any of them living in a simple, normal home at this point. They all live WAYYY beyond their means. Could they make it on their own? Probably, but they definitely couldn’t live like they do now. I get the feeling that’s very important to at least some of them. 

There’s also just a lot of what I want to call... foolishness? Impulsivity? In that family about money. They don’t keep it when they have it, they just don’t. And that goes for all the adults.

Also I died at “Robyn had pneumonia once” 😂 😂 

17 minutes ago, aimlessbird said:

I believe that Solomon is very shy.  He may have felt to be under a lot of pressure being alone with Kody and being filmed.  I mean Sol watched Kody belittle Truely over a bike ride.  He doesn't want to be the next target.

Yeah, honestly when we watch Kody and his kids together they practically seem like strangers. It’s like they’re going out for the day with that one uncle that they don’t know that well. So I’m never sure how much of the kids’ real personalities we get out of those interactions. They all seem fairly guarded around him. 

• Love 18

And if they all quarantined stringently wouldn't it then be okay for them all to be together with zero exposure?  

In theory, yes, but the only family quarantining "strictly" appears to be Robyn's. Meri had Mariah and Audrey come through and she traveled to visit Lizzie's. Two of Janelle's son's are working and socializing outside the home. Christine travelled; I'm not sure how strictly her kids quarantined. 

Put off major surgery for six months knowing your daughter is in agonizing pain because YOU might catch a virus that has a 99.9% chance of not killing you?

As much as I hate to say anything that could be taken as a defense of Kody, I think that his concern about COVID was 1) that he could catch it. If it didn't kill him, it would take him out of commission for what he sees as his critical role to the family; 2) he could pass it along to the other wives and kids, potentially making a bunch of others sick (yes, he could quarantine when he got back, but still... and 3) he could have been at least a little concerned about Christine and/or Ysabel getting sick themselves and/or passing it along.

Christine has been making easy TLC money for about 10 years and has a $400,000 house she can sell if she chooses to leave Kody and Flagstaff to make a fresh start.

I doubt she has much equity in the house. She just moved there, what? Two years ago? I can't imagine she put a lot down and the first years you aren't really paying toward principal. Unless the house has shot up in value in those two years, after closing costs and the expenses of moving, I doubt she'd even break even. That doesn't mean she shouldn't go though - I think she should load up as much as she can and hightail it to Utah with her minor children and any pets they might have.

• Love 10

Well, I binged this whole season over the weekend.  And now I have to purge.

Can you really have a "meeting to set rules for meetings" without having a "meeting to set rules for the meeting to set rules for meetings"?  Which, I supposed, would require a "meeting to set rules for the meeting to set rules for the . . . ." 

Kody was clearly a dick to Ysabel.  But Christine has been just as much of a dick by going along with delaying the surgery FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS while they subject the poor girl to some medieval quackery that the surgeon told them was a waste of time five years ago.  I too would like to know what the immediate urgency is (along with: why NJ, etc.).  I bet both of those pigs decided to stage that scene solely to have more footage.  I think Ysabel broke down because it drove home to her how she's nothing more than potential content for these grifters.

I personally though Kody was MUCH worse in the "anniversary picnic" with Meri.  There should be a link to that scene in the dictionary definition of "gaslighting".  

And, maybe it's the alcohol poisoning I suffered from picking "kutch-err" as my drinking word for this season; but it's really disorienting to find myself siding with Kody so much (over COVID).  

• Love 19
54 minutes ago, OdinO. said:

Maybe he is dyslexic.

As much as I feel Robyn babies (all) of her kids, you may be right. Or he could have one of many learning challenges that result in him being a little "behind" the average. As long as they're getting him the assistance he needs to catch up--which is questionable.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, OdinO. said:

Maybe he is dyslexic.

I had a similar thought--it's a very dangerous game to comment on a young child's particular journey through scholastic achievement, especially in an age where we are learning how everyone learns differently and a list of age-appropriate achievements don't work for everyone. We couldn't know if he has a learning disability, for example.

But then, that really doesn't jive with the Browns' way of doing things, does it? Like, if King Sol had a learning disability and they cared enough to have it diagnosed and come up with a plan for it, don't you think they'd have jumped at the chance to put that on TV? I know Kody doesn't care about his other kids (see: Ysabel), but he does at least pay lip service to caring about Robyn's kids. And you KNOW Robyn would've made it an episode or two, she's desperate to stay relevant despite having less than nothing to offer the show. If the kid has a learning disability, there's no way the show wouldn't have heard about it. They've already exploited Ysabel's disability and Meri's ghost babies or whatever they're called.

More likely is that the parents are lazy, stupid, and just flat out don't care. They don't think academic success matters. Remember when Hunter graduated Air Force Academy? They put it on the same level as an adult's birthday. If you have any idea how hard it is to get into the AFA, never mind graduate from it, it's no easy task! It should have been celebrated much more than it was. School for these kids is just going through the motions from the adults' perspectives. These kids are nothing more than fodder for the show and a means to an end for Kody's celestial planet. The young ones are cute and cuddly TV material, the older ones are de facto parents and maids. They don't actually care about them, even the favored ones, to do the work to help a kid who may not be learning to read at the same rate as other kids.

I'm sure I could be wrong about this, and whatever the case, I hope the kid is able to catch up to his peers, but I really doubt it's as complicated as a learning disability. Much more likely is these parents are too lazy to care about their kids' educations.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

My vote is for “just doesn’t care.” As long as Robyn get a what Robyn wants, the rest of the wives can go kick rocks. 

Robyn looks just as miserable as Christine does. I can’t blame her for advocating on behalf of her kids. It’s really not her fault if Kody disrespects the other wives and kids. If he were a truly devout/dedicated plyg husband and family head, as they all seem to feel he is or should be, Robyn would not be shown any favoritism.

I don’t love any of these people but I can’t see Robyn as some femme fatale or Svengali. She advocates for her kids and herself. She sets boundaries. Maybe her relative non-wishy-washiness is part of why Kody (whom I do not like) favors her. If the other wives choose to “endure” Kody’s nonsense and neglect for fear of him piling it on even thicker (which he would), that’s not Robyn’s doing. It’s all on Kody. Robyn is his convenient excuse.

That said, I do think Kody and Robyn were genuinely concerned and fearful of Covid (rightly so, IMO) but it was frustrating to see him still doing it wrong by going from house to house without proper precautions. As many of us have said, they had the resources to isolate the boys and keep everyone else in a safe bubble. If only they were a real family, they could have made it work.

And yeah, Kody, it’s a challenge foR monogamists, too. Yes, we actually have extended and complicated families. Newsflash. 

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

I had a similar thought--it's a very dangerous game to comment on a young child's particular journey through scholastic achievement, especially in an age where we are learning how everyone learns differently and a list of age-appropriate achievements don't work for everyone. We couldn't know if he has a learning disability, for example.

But then, that really doesn't jive with the Browns' way of doing things, does it? Like, if King Sol had a learning disability and they cared enough to have it diagnosed and come up with a plan for it, don't you think they'd have jumped at the chance to put that on TV? I know Kody doesn't care about his other kids (see: Ysabel), but he does at least pay lip service to caring about Robyn's kids. And you KNOW Robyn would've made it an episode or two, she's desperate to stay relevant despite having less than nothing to offer the show. If the kid has a learning disability, there's no way the show wouldn't have heard about it. They've already exploited Ysabel's disability and Meri's ghost babies or whatever they're called.

More likely is that the parents are lazy, stupid, and just flat out don't care. They don't think academic success matters. Remember when Hunter graduated Air Force Academy? They put it on the same level as an adult's birthday. If you have any idea how hard it is to get into the AFA, never mind graduate from it, it's no easy task! It should have been celebrated much more than it was. School for these kids is just going through the motions from the adults' perspectives. These kids are nothing more than fodder for the show and a means to an end for Kody's celestial planet. The young ones are cute and cuddly TV material, the older ones are de facto parents and maids. They don't actually care about them, even the favored ones, to do the work to help a kid who may not be learning to read at the same rate as other kids.

I'm sure I could be wrong about this, and whatever the case, I hope the kid is able to catch up to his peers, but I really doubt it's as complicated as a learning disability. Much more likely is these parents are too lazy to care about their kids' educations.

So what I hear you saying is perhaps the Browns aren't achievement-oriented except as it comes to collecting wives and squeezing out babies? Yeah - that tracks. 

I can't criticize the young kids. They're kids. But I sure as fuck can criticize their immature parents as much as I want. While they are a product of their culture and belief system, they have still chosen everything not only for themselves, but for their kids as well. And it is absolutely tragic that 18? 19? kids were raised by these nincompoops. That is 18 (19?) kids that have been given an unfair start in the world.  Or perhaps I should say 18 (19?) more kids since many children come to parents who shouldn't be bringing kids into the world in the first place. 

Edited by NoWhammies
  • Love 17

Every time Kody starts to say something that makes sense, he seems to ruin it. When he was trying to impress upon Hunter that contracting Covid could change a person forever, his example of a potential tragedy was, “Can you imagine me if I couldn’t exercise and work out?” NO, NOT THAT, KODY!! Aieeeeee!

• LOL 11
  • Love 9

I didn't know that christine's mother and aunt had left polygamy. Hopefully they will encourage and support her if she decides to leave the Browns. At least not tell her that she doesn't get to quit so suck it up and hang around for another 30 years like meri said to her.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ErikaAlyson said:

I've always liked Hunter the most out of the boys haha. To me he looks the most like Janelle. I think he was sitting by his mom to let everyone know who he sides with and a F you to Kody lol. I wonder if Robyn and Kody talked prior before they all met up at the picnic tables. It seemed like he was just talking to the 3 wives directly. Like he was saying what Robyn and him both agree on. I've never seen Robyn that quiet and then it looked like she sat where her and Kody could be in an authoritative way lol.

Yes. She prompted him. He kept looking in her direction before he spoke. He's her bit*h.

• Love 10
21 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I am really curious about what exactly that means.  What are his end goals and how does his family present an obstacle.

This! We have never heard him talk about what he actually wants, besides polygamy for the first several seasons and now for his wives to shut up and do what he wants. I have no earthly idea what Kody actually wants, as much as he flaps his gums about everything he hates about the life HE created. I’d be curious to hear what his goals are. They’re probably dumb, but I’d be curious. 

He seems interested in his workouts and that’s about it. He doesn’t seem interested in his kids, friends, or family of origin. He doesn’t seem interested in learning or reading anything or pursuing hobbies like exploring the outdoors or improving his homes or properties. He doesn’t seem interested in sex or romance of any kind, frankly even with Robyn - while I think he favors her, I think I disagree with some in that he doesn’t seem smitten or taken with her by any means to me. He’s too self-absorbed even for that. He certainly doesn’t seem interested in working, getting a job or investing. So like... what are these goals?

Edited by ReadMeLattice
  • Useful 1
  • Love 17

I think this last episode is the final nail in the coffin for this show.  It only continued when the Browns agreed to an 80% pay cut, and they are going to lose a lot more viewers now that Kody has gone from comical antagonist to social pariah.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

Mod Announcement: Please keep the discussion in the episode threads limited to the events of the episode (or previous episodes as they relate to the events portrayed in the current episode).

Many of you follow the cast on social media and are aware of the activities that may or may not be portrayed next season, as such, discussion of social media information may be a spoiler. You are always free to say "taking this response to xyz thread" to discuss items in more detail. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ReadMeLattice said:

Yeah, honestly when we watch Kody and his kids together they practically seem like strangers. It’s like they’re going out for the day with that one uncle that they don’t know that well. So I’m never sure how much of the kids’ real personalities we get out of those interactions. They all seem fairly guarded around him. 

THIS this so much this! 
I thought my loathing for K-dawg was coloring my perception, but I got that same feeling. So if he's at Robo's all the time, what is he doing? Is he 'working' (read: scouring the Internet for positive comments about himself; reading all the curly girl method blogs; researching the next mlm to invest in? ) 

It can't be the camera and any possible crew around, because they've had that and those same people around them their entire lives (the youngest ones at least).

I'm starting to feel that Robyn is looking so rough, (besides possible thyroid issues, as that can take a lot out of a person), because she's having to do everything on her own, unless she nags the heck out of Kody to participate. I bet dealing with Kody all the time is like having a petulant child to raise. He exhausts me, and I only see snipets of him a few times per year!

If this ends up being the last season for them, I do feel bad how it ended. If this was my life being shown, I wouldn't want this last episode to be my legacy.

I wish I could emoji some of your posts more than once! 

Oh! (As if my post wasn't long enough) To touch on his absolute rage toward everyone and everything: what is that about? It seems that he's had a bunch o wives, a passel of children, and many moves full of mayhem to keep chaos at its peak, but why? What inside himself is he running from and won't hold still long enough to examine?

• Love 18
12 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Are Robyn’s kids homeschooled?  I know that kids are not where they should be because of the pandemic, but if they are homeschooled I’d think they should be on track.

No.  They are enrolled in public schools.  When she was house hunting in Flagstaff I remember her pretend/try to rationalize making the kids attend specific public schools somewhere because of their location relative to whatever house she was wrangling for.  I don't remember the specifics, but do remember having a general impression that confirmed she was absolutely impractical/nuts and didn't care about anyone but herself and getting what she wanted.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, bobalina said:

I was 5 in 1st grade but I could already read and had been learning for 3 years. Sol has 2 parents and a bunch if older brothers and sisters. There is no excuse for his not being age proficient except parental laziness.

11 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Even if he’s the youngest in his class, at 8 years old he should be fully reading, he should not be “learning to read.”  

I could read at 5, too, as could our daughter, but her brother had dyslexia and had a terrible time with it. 

I didn't think Sol was the youngest, I thought he probably started first grade at age 7 years and 10 months,  and he would be one of the oldest in his first grade class which should make him "reading ready" unless he had other problems.   I know a lot of kids are now taught in K5, but enrollment in K5 is an option his parents may not have chosen.  I am not sure how he compares in size with children his age as parents  sometimes hold back boys of small stature.  I am sure people have other experiences than I did. 

10 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

My vote is politics.

Well, he puffed up and made bold pronouncement in an earlier season about moving back to Utah and running for office to change the laws on polygamy, but he is all hat and no cattle so he sat back and let the Dargers and others do the hard work.  He cannot run for office now without all sorts of ads against him pulled from 15 seasons of this train wreck.

If health care comes up as an issue, all they would have to do is run this scene about postponing surgery for a painful and debilitating condition. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

Kody's treatment of Ysabel made me sick to my stomach. When he says "I don't give a shit anymore" I think he is being the most honest he has ever been. 

As for Janelle...I think we might be seeing the side of her personality that made her and Meri butt heads for all these years.  It has always been portrayed that Meri was the Big Bad Bully.  But I think Janelle is truly clueless how to communicate with anyone about anything. She had to get along back in the day when Kody was (at minimum) trying to keep Meri satisfied with the balance of the family.  But when Meri fell out and Kody just kicked her to the side, Janelle "rose in power" and has had a stronger voice.  Now with Kody kicking Christine to the side, Janelle is more secure.  However... he has done it to two wives and has been pissy in his talking heads about Janelle.  He can kick her as well.  It all reminds me of that old movie "Heathers".  Once one was removed from power, another version of the same just steps into her place.

And Janelle's storyline about "we need to communicate" is one big desperate to keep the show going contrived basket of nonsense. She instantly lost all desire to work on "peaceful communication" when she stomped on Christine during their Utah discussion.

As for the filming...it is blaringly obvious that the professional camera crew returned to film at some time in the summer last year.  Without rewatching and writing down the Timeline that is Janelle's Lip Growth, those outdoor conversations are quality shots and quality audio.  When they film themselves it isn't quality audio and you can see everyone's phones in each clip. 

• Love 22

Why would Meri and Janelle want Christine to stay?  Simple: money.  

Janelle left before the show, when she was arguably making the most money of anyone in the family, so no problem leaving.

Meri thought she was going to be taken care of by a millionaire, so no problem leaving.

However, now both figure (perhaps with some validity) that if Christine leaves, the show will be gone (or not include them) and there goes their salary, such as it is.  Thus, even though both left/were leaving once, they now must convince Christine to stay.

• Love 6

Well, if they were worried about being cancelled, this cliffhanger of Will Christine Escape? may be enough to buy them another season. But will it be another season of moaning and groaning about how the pandemic is killing this family? (Kody wasn’t wrong when he reminded us that no one had any interest in getting together BEFORE the pandemic, so that particular complaint is wearing very thin.) Will they start off with a bang, planning a five-adult getaway to a desert island to duke it out “Survivor”-style? Or will the first scene open on massed police cars and emergency vehicles, lights and sirens going full bore, as we hear a 911 call revealing that someone finally snapped?

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, Fosca said:

Why would Meri and Janelle want Christine to stay?  Simple: money.  

Janelle left before the show, when she was arguably making the most money of anyone in the family, so no problem leaving.

Meri thought she was going to be taken care of by a millionaire, so no problem leaving.

However, now both figure (perhaps with some validity) that if Christine leaves, the show will be gone (or not include them) and there goes their salary, such as it is.  Thus, even though both left/were leaving once, they now must convince Christine to stay.

Agreed,  it I also wonder if Meri is trying to get Christine to stay so that she (Meri) can get the credit from Kody. Part of her grand plan to win him back.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

This is right up Janelle's wheelhouse - she's pretending to want to communicate but they can't just all sit down and talk like normal human beings - rules must be established, an easel and some multi-colored Sharpies must accompany her because what's a rule unless it's written down, walls must be put up and taken down, everyone must feel safe, whoever is holding the conch shell gets to talk, etc.

I find the pop-psych-babble this crews spews pretty insufferable.

If only they knew someone who might be trained in, oh I don't know, counseling or something, who might be able to facilitate communication for them.  Or maybe Nancy's decided that she's scribbled enough in that notepad for her tell-all and peaced-out.

6 minutes ago, lamadeleine said:

To touch on his absolute rage toward everyone and everything: what is that about?

I wonder how much of this is carry-over frustration about not getting his way with the "One Big House" idea?  Christine especially led the charge against that idea; and now she's the one whining the most about how they can't be together.  

It could also be a product of the conflict between Robyn's (God save me!) reasonable COVID concerns and the other wives' casual indifference, which is making it tough for Kody.  If he had to chose one wife, it would certainly be Robyn.  But he's not supposed to acknowledge that out loud.  COVID was forcing him to.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Twopper said:

22 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I have an 8 year old and I absolutely agree Sol seems WAYYYY behind him, in maturity and education.  At 8 years old he should not be "learning to read."

Sol was born in the fall, and I don't know what the cut-off date is for first grade in Arizona. If it is earlier than his birthday, then he would be eligible to enroll in first grade the year he turns 7 which would be 2018. He would still be six years old for the  first two months, and a lot of parents of boys now wait until the child has turned 7 before enrolling them in first grade

What kid doesn’t learn to read from Sesame Street anyway? I think Robyn just babies him. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

It could also be a product of the conflict between Robyn's (God save me!) reasonable COVID concerns and the other wives' casual indifference, which is making it tough for Kody.  If he had to chose one wife, it would certainly be Robyn.  But he's not supposed to acknowledge that out loud.  COVID was forcing him to.

He has chosen one wife.  Robyn has been his legal wife for several years now and he treats the others like his exes and his kids by the others as the kids he has visitation rights to.  Polygamy...not.

• Love 19
26 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

And Janelle's storyline about "we need to communicate" is one big desperate to keep the show going contrived basket of nonsense. 

I, too, suspect this is Janelle's motivation.  However, I think there is more to it.  Of all four wives, I believe Janelle is the most emotionally inaccessible of the lot.  She makes Meri's walls look like papier mâché.  I have long suspected this was her motivation (probably unconscious) for entering plural marriage.  The more distraction (the more wives) for the one husband, the more a wife can evade emotional intimacy.  Building a framework for communication can be a handy substitute for communication, itself.  She can convince herself that adherence to the "rules" of communication is actually communicating, rather than allowing herself to be emotionally vulnerable to her own feelings and to others.  I think her passiveness is a part of this.  For whatever reason, she considers it unsafe to express her feelings of vulnerability or her "negative" feelings (anger, disappointment, hurt, etc.) to others, and equally unsafe to allow herself to experience those feelings.   So she blocks.  And as we all know, unresolved emotional distress doesn't disappear.  On some level, it nags and irritates and stresses us, provoking a response that is usually something unhealthy and self-destructive... like overeating.

• Useful 4
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, ReadMeLattice said:

Or he could be in a reading class and because Kody isn’t likely involved at all in helping with homework, he could interpret that as “learning to read.” I don’t get the sense that Kody has any idea of what normal developmental stages are, even after 18 kids. 

I agree with this. I didn't necessarily interpret the comment to mean that Sol is learning to read for the first time ever...I guess I heard it as Sol is working on his reading. I don't think that Kody knows, understands, or cares about where his kids are in their educational development at any given time..just my opinion.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

these women don't care who is getting the worst of Kody's emotional abuse, as long as it's not focused on them.

I definitely think that's why they would encourage Christine to stay.  If she leaves, one of them will be Kody's emotional punching bag. 

I also thought a long time ago that they must not have health insurance.  I think that's why they delayed taking Truly to the hospital when she was seriously ill and it's why they made Ysabel go through those stupid treatments.  They always try to do things on the cheap, unless it directly affects Kody.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, lamadeleine said:

I agree with this. I didn't necessarily interpret the comment to mean that Sol is learning to read for the first time ever...I guess I heard it as Sol is working on his reading. I don't think that Kody knows, understands, or cares about where his kids are in their educational development at any given time..just my opinion.

Yeah. I think he’s one of those dads who has seen his kid reading or overheard him once talking about reading class with his mom and thinks “reading, yeah, that’s what that one is up to these days.” I think he’s checked out. So even if Sol *does* have learning issues, I don’t think we’d really learn about them from Kody, lol. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, NoWhammies said:

Robyn - I would imagine trying to exert the level of control Robyn does over Kody would be exhausting. Plus, my guess is whatever is happening with her thyroid is exhausting her. Thyroid issues sap your energy, among other things. Not an excuse. I find her repulsive, manipulative, and just not a likeable or nice person. But I can recognize where her exhaustion and lack of energy comes from.

Kody is probably more exhausting than whatever thyroid issue she may have. And while some thyroid issues can make you tired, many of them are so easily treatable. I take one small pill each morning and wait 30 minutes to eat or have coffee, and a blood test once a year, easy-peasy, and watch my diet (less easy but still not that hard). I do get tired more easily but that could also be attributed to age, work life, and other things. Now, if she has thyroid cancer, it's harder to treat, obviously, but my guess is that she hasn't even had a diagnosis. These guys are not exactly well known for their trust of doctors, health insurance, or overall health consciousness. My guess is she's had hypothyroidism for years and never bothered to diagnose or treat it because 1) doctors cost money she could be spending on pajamas and a massive rennal, and 2) she's still milking the "hot young wife" thing. I'll let you decide for yourself if she's successful in that last one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

My vote is politics.

I should have included the non existent vomit emoji after this. I don't have the slightest idea what this guy's future holds to make money. With all the noise and nonsense of late, politics was all I could come up with. He sure gets all roostered up telling people what to do, thinks his ideas are the best for the "people", and cannot manage anything even basic car maintenance.

I can't even come up with someone, past or present, on the small screen that has made a similar or worse portrayal of themselves or a fictional character. Heck, Tony Soprano had his sympathetic moments. This guy . . . none. Even if this Kody is not "real", as is the case in Reality TV, could he possibly think anyone would want to partner with him in any business endeavor or embark on an emotional relationship with him? I get the spiritual wives, even the dark wife. But Kody Brown, new level arrogance/ego/stupidity. 

Even tho he was the President of the Las Vegas cul de sac HOA, realistically, he could never run for politics, not that this would stop him. His reality is at a different level than most and has drastically changed from when he first approached the AUB about his documentary show.

I imagine him dancing into some guys office to sell him ad space on a billboard after 10 years of negative publicity. Guess he's stuck with MLM's.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7