Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Into the Unknown

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Just when Mina and The Raptor can see their future together, an unexpected complication throws a wrench in their plans. Cain faces a harsh reality when Kit gives him the opportunity to prove he is ready to return to the OR. Devon presents Rose with a groundbreaking clinical trial that could help her battle with Sickle Cell Anaemia.

Airdate: 04/20/2021

Very emotional episode. I’m relieved AJ is staying, although for such a terrible reason. Why is Mina actually leaving? The actress has another project lined up or something? I had been looking forward to them growing as a couple. 

We all knew something was going to develop between Rose and Cain, but I wish they hadn’t gone in that direction. He’s evil, to have attempted that operation when he knew he wasn’t 100%.

I guess it looks like Pravesh and the female Indian doctor are going to fall in love, after all. 

• Love 2

The female doctor is really cute! I like the idea of her and Pravesh..

The actress that plays Mina wanted to leave to pursue other projects. I will really miss her.

Edited by katycat74
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I’m a blubbering mess. Good for the actress that plays Mina to want to do other projects but will miss her on this show. I’m just happy the writers didn’t kill her off so she can come back.

Devon and the intern are cute together. Figured when they introduced her it would be Devon’s love interest. At least it’s not Nik’s snarky friend, who luckily is a good surgeon that saved Cain’s ass.

• Love 4

Seriously?  I know we're constantly asked to suspend medical belief on these shows, but to entertain the thought even for one second that Cain would be allowed to perform surgery on a living human without demonstrating beforehand on several pig parts is staggeringly ridiculous.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 21

Yeah, this show usually has some of the more realistic approaches to storylines (compared to other medical dramas) but the mere idea of Cain not only being so far along in his recovery to be even considered open to operate, but to ACTUALLY do so? He was legit on a ventilator not even four months prior and suddenly, he's done hours of PT and is ready to operate, let alone do a DANGEROUS operation and NOT starting off small? Or practicing on a fake cadaver? Come on, show. I'm never going to be on the side of a redemption storyline with Cain, and this just continues to solidify that. Rose should be running far, far away from this asshole as well, who operated while knowing he might not be ready. His ego can't handle the mere idea that he's not ready and he's going to legit kill someone...if this was more of a realistic storyline. Kit would have NEVER agreed to let him operate, let alone actually LEAVE HIM IN THE MIDDLE OF A SURGERY. 

Mina leaving is so sad to me. I'm glad AJ is still around, but I'm going to really miss Mina. I do wish the actress the best for her future projects. But they gave Mina a wonderful sendoff. The entire arc has been very well done and I'm glad it was her overall choice and that it's clear that she can return (given the network doesn't outright cancel the show so she can actually find time to come back for the series finale, or before that). 

So, they're setting up Devon with the new resident Leela. I guess I should have seen that coming. 

Because this show does seem to enjoy their bureaucratic and corrupt storylines, I suspect the sickle cell guy is going to be up to no good eventually, or everything goes horribly wrong and he gets sued or something. Something is just not going to work out with Rose's new treatment.

• Love 6

The show surprised me - I was anticipating Emily Van Camp to exit ever since the Nic pregnancy storyline was announced. I’m saddened and surprised to lose Mina. As already said at least it was her decision and it was respected by the showrunners. I am disappointed though as I found her to be such a strong character. 

• Love 2

All of that happened in one day? All of that? In one day?

I'm sad to lose Mina and I hate that they sprung that party on her when she clearly was in an awful place. AJ's mom being so sick is also so upsetting. His parents are two of the better and more upbeat recurring characters on this show.

I am not here for any sort of Cain redemption. He was not good, lied and could have killed that poor girl. He's clearly learned nothing from this ordeal and is still an awful, selfish, egotistical person. Hate!

I really hope Devon doesn't start dating his intern. I get he works a lot of hours and she does seem delightful but it would be nice if anyone working at this hospital had a love interest who wasn't a coworker. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I am not here for any sort of Cain redemption.

Nor am I, and I'm a fairly forgiving sort; I wanted redemption for Dr. Romano on ER.  But Cain has no good side, and deserves nothing better than comeuppance.

• Love 4

Dr. Cain is such a good mustache-twirling villain and I really, REALLY want karma to bite him hard!  It would be so satisfying to see him get what he so richly deserves.  Please don't turn him into Dr. Bell 2.0! 

I kind of enjoyed Dr. Cain's partner-in-evil, the Asian CEO who was recently written off the show.  I thought he had much more potential for being turned from "the enemy" to simply an antagonist, a guy who's not really bad, just a lot more bottom-line oriented than the rest of the characters on the show.

I'm surprised that Mina is actually leaving the show on her own accord!  I guess being regular on a big-time network TV series isn't the huge deal that it used to be, and that there are bigger opportunities out there in the entertainment world.

It looks like the new plot for the season is the guy who thinks he can cure sickle-cell.  Since that's not currently possible in real life, I guess he'll either be so overly dedicated to finding a cure that he cuts major corners (causing drama), or he's a greedy con-man out to line his own pockets at the expense of others (causing drama).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, vibeology said:

I really hope Devon doesn't start dating his intern. I get he works a lot of hours and she does seem delightful but it would be nice if anyone working at this hospital had a love interest who wasn't a coworker. 

Yes, as much as I like Devon and the intern, I do not want to see another workplace romance.  I think it would be much better if they were good workplace friends and (like NIc and Mina) and helped each other find partners. 

• Love 1

Mina and The Raptor made the show for me, so I'm super disappointed that she is gone.

Isn't Devon supervising that intern?  There seemed to be a major power imbalance and him dating her would be super inappropriate.  I'm tired of TV shows glorifying this type of behavior.  I realize this seems hypocritical give my above statement regarding Mina and AJ, but they were more equals because of who Mina is.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 4

So I get that this show's bread and butter is "corporate medicine is evil" but given the fact that it was biotech's research that got us COVID vaccines, and big pharma's experience running clinical trials and jumping through government approval that got those vaccines EUAs here and abroad, weird choice for a Conrod speech without even mentioning that.

• Love 6

I got a bad feeling about the sickle cell anemia trial.  Hope I'm wrong.

HATE Cain.  He deserves to be ignored and punished for his venal, selfish ways.  He is a terrible person.  He is worse than Bell ever was. Rose should be too smart for this waste of skin.

I will miss Mina and her hard edges.  She was a unique character to me.

It was nice to have an episode where Conrad was not off the reservation doing something totally against the rules.  Maybe Nic has been a good influence on him to not be so impulsive.

• Love 3

So, uh, Cain being able to perform surgery without a full OT eval was definitely.... something.

I miss Mina already!

I hope the sickle cell trial turns out well - I am guessing it will be something like "oh no the other patients are dying now, we edited the gene badly!"

So... how did they figure out the mother had stage IV adenocarcinoma of the lung without doing a scan? You can't just figure that out by looking at the lung.

Also, when they showed the mother in bed and the first few notes of piano started playing, I was like "oh NO is that Breathe Me by Sia? She's gonna die---oh it isn't Breathe Me, good, she's not dead yet."

edit: also Devon's friend's chin dimple bugged me from the second he came on screen. such a huge dimple, made his chin look like a butt

Edited by bros402

I think they figured it was stage 4 adenocarcinoma because the cancer had already spread outside the lung pleura based on Mina’s comment during the surgery, and that is already stage 4a. Now they will probably do scans to see if it has gone to other organs, stage 4b.

Edited by twoods
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1