Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Straight Outta the '80s

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

As always, no spoilers. No future information from social or other media.  And hey, let's be careful out there!

• Start Topic

Tiffany finally finds the balance she’s been searching for, while Kary continues to work through her own family issues. With help from her shaman, D’Andra meets up with her stepmother, but Momma Dee has few choice words about this family reunion

Original air date 2021.04.20

If she was offering her brother half of everything. Why didn’t she just follow through with that after she won the “settlement” .. if it was her stepmother who said no why did she still punish her half brother? Something about this whole story is off 

• Love 10

I don't understand what the deal is with the woman who's not a cast member - she's there but she doesn't get a bed?  Does she have to go home at night?  I get that she's not a full time HW but if she's there why doesn't she get a bed?  Or time with the hair and makeup people?

The reason I can never fully hate Brandi - putting Kary and D'Andra in a room together 😄

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I liked the trip down the Dallas memory lane, although it dates me to admit it :)

I had forgotten all about crimped hair, but I remember it now!  Actually, it still cute.

Since I couldn't remember who shot JR, I looked it up and it was some guy named Bum.  Really, his name was Bum, and I also found out that JR's tombstone read:  The only deal I ever lost.  That makes me chuckle.

Other than the Dallas theme, it was pretty boring.  The only fighting that seems to be going on is D'Andra and her stepmother that you can't see or hear, so that's no fun.  Tiffany is hanging out with her kids more, and that's good.  Kari didn't get drunk with her kids and trash the restaurant, so that's good.  Brandi has some game where you blow on Armadillo's butt's to get them to do something, but since it had to do with Brandi's weird fetish with feces and weird shit, I blocked it out.  I'm looking forward to seeing Kam's new digs and was Stephanie even on? 

• Love 3

Since I couldn't remember who shot JR, I looked it up and it was some guy named Bum.

That was in the 2010s revival series. In the more iconic original 80's series, it was actually his sister-in-law/mistress/baby mama.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, swankie said:

Mama Dee just had to throw in the digs at the stepmother!  The whole "He told me he married me for beauty" and "She needs to get her nose fixed" was so petty.  You would think that after all of these years the hateful feelings would dissipate but I guess not.  Anyway, it says more about Mama Dee than the stepmother.  I also respect the fact that the woman didn't want her meeting with D'andra to be filmed.  It's good to know that not everybody is a famewhore. 

That was so petty!  I guess maybe Mama Dee hadn't landed her Simmons yet when first Mr. Mama Dee hit the road?

• Love 1

While I still really like Stephanie, I think she should be demoted. I love that she's nice and caring but she's not really bringing anything worth screen-time, and I don't mean that I want her to fight with the other women, the entire NYC cast is far more entertaining and the best episodes are when they're just having a good time. 

Stephanie's Alabama trip was a complete flop, her games were stupid and while I'm sure Alabama is great, she didn't showcase the city's best features. And yes, I get it was the pandemic but still. 

The only ones I see moving forward with the following seasons (if this series isn't cancelled, which I wouldn't be surprised about) are D'Andra, Kam and maybe/possibly Tiffany. Dallas is pretty diverse so I'd like at least half the cast to not be white. (Kari is Mexican but even her fights are boring).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, charliesan said:

Stephanie's Alabama trip was a complete flop, her games were stupid and while I'm sure Alabama is great, she didn't showcase the city's best features. And yes, I get it was the pandemic but still. 

The only ones I see moving forward with the following seasons (if this series isn't cancelled, which I wouldn't be surprised about) are D'Andra, Kam and maybe/possibly Tiffany. Dallas is pretty diverse so I'd like at least half the cast to not be white. (Kari is Mexican but even her fights are boring).

Stephanie's trip was to Oklahoma, not Alabama. It's where she's from.

While I agree with adding some diversity, I hope Tiffany doesn't come back; she has bored me so much with her constant mommy issues and mommy guilt. I also can't stand her vocal fry. 

Why did they keep saying that JR was shot at Southfork? He was shot at his office in the 80's cliffhanger version. 

I toured Southfork a few years ago on a Texas trip. Such fond memories of watching the show. They have a little museum part where they have the actual prop gun used to shoot JR!

Edited by Book Junkie
add some other thoughts
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I loved how they froze the camera on Cary with her margarita - and then flashed forward to her breaking the plexiglass.  

Cary needs help. It's abnormal to keep breaking things after having a few margaritas.

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, Book Junkie said:

Stephanie's trip was to Oklahoma, not Alabama. It's where she's from.

While I agree with adding some diversity, I hope Tiffany doesn't come back; she has bored me so much with her constant mommy issues and mommy guilt. I also can't stand her vocal fry. 

Why did they keep saying that JR was shot at Southfork? He was shot at his office in the 80's cliffhanger version. 

I toured Southfork a few years ago on a Texas trip. Such fond memories of watching the show. They have a little museum part where they have the actual prop gun used to shoot JR!

I agree!  and why are they acting the it was filmed inside -they only used the exteriors of Southfork for the show.  The HW's weren't' alive or very young when this was on, so they think they're on an actual movie set.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Dallas was on the air until 1991.. It was the show the kinda defined the 80s (even if it did premier in 78) and birthed the night time soap boom that was Falcon crest and Dynasty and the spin off Knots landing.. its ingrained into Pop culture .. even if you weren't really old enough to remember it on its first airing you still know about JR. and Sue Ellen and Bobby .....

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

Did DeAndra’s healer straight suck out snot from her nose? That’s not cool normally but with covid - wtf ritual is that? 

Golddigger Dee, looks fade (yours did decades ago), but a good heart doesn’t. I’m pretty sure she’s the reason DeAndra isn’t close to her stepmom. Woman is truly wicked.

Edited by TheCouchPotato
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, TheCouchPotato said:

Did DeAndra’s healer straight suck out snot from her nose? That’s not cool normally but with covid - wtf ritual is that? 

yea I was like what the fuck is he doing .. was he sucking it out or blowing it in? lol

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

If she was offering her brother half of everything. Why didn’t she just follow through with that after she won the “settlement” .. if it was her stepmother who said no why did she still punish her half brother? Something about this whole story is off 

I wonder how much money the estate was worth and how protracted the legal battle was. There’s clearly part of the story we’re not hearing, but I could also see why D’Andra wouldn’t offer half the money after a potentially expensive legal battle that could have been avoided (if we believe D’Andra). Most legal battles are guaranteed to do two things: (1) cost a lot of money and (2) create division. At that point in time, D’Andra might have wanted to be done with it and been resentful about how much time and money was spent on the legal process. I wouldn’t find those feelings unreasonable. (Again, this is all if we believe D’Andra’s narrative to be accurate- I don’t really believe or disbelieve her since we, the audience, really haven’t been given enough information to make an accurate judgment, IMO.)

Oh Kary Brittingham, great friend to the animals, jokes about going cow tipping?! (I want to assume she was joking since cow tipping isn’t a real thing, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if Kary didn’t know that.)

• Love 9
2 hours ago, TheCouchPotato said:

Not only did he do that but he also drank some liquid and spit it out into the air and D'andra was standing so close to him. After I saw that, all I could hear in my head was Cardi B's voice repeating the word "Coronavirus" 

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, MrsWitter said:

I wonder how much money the estate was worth and how protracted the legal battle was. There’s clearly part of the story we’re not hearing, but I could also see why D’Andra wouldn’t offer half the money after a potentially expensive legal battle that could have been avoided (if we believe D’Andra).

Yeah, I can imagine if D'Andra initially offered him half, and then the stepmom came for all the money, how she would be reticent to make any sort of deal or compromise with that side of the family afterward. It's pretty vicious and aggressive to try and leave D'Andra with nothing. I'm sure the court battle soured things for D'Andra in a major way. It would be hard for me to be generous to a family that essentially tried to come after me.

• Love 7

How did Stephanie not hear of Dallas?  She would have been 10 or 11 when the show ended.  Even I as a small child in the 80s recalled the show.

D'andra needs to not call her mom before doing anything major.  Her husband is a saint lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

So Mama Dee was born with physical beauty, has a bad attitude, no filter, is an admitted gold digger, and sees no problem throwing her own child under the bus. If she were 40 years younger, she'd be Andy Cohen's dream! 

• LOL 10
  • Love 9

Mama Dee reported her ex-husband’s comment “this time I’m not marrying for beauty,” as some kind of compliment to herself. It is rather a wonderful compliment to his new wife. She must have been a lovely woman, and we see that from his point of view he realized that the inner package is much more important than the outer one, and Mama Dee only had outer beauty.

I thought the production values, such as they were, were 100% higher on the Dallas Murder Mystery than on the Atlanta evening.

• Love 8

I grew up on a ranch in tiny(it was at the time-sigh) Lucas, Texas and me and my friends would ride our horses all over the area and sometimes we made it to Southfork.  There were ALWAYS tourists there and they were mostly Asian and they loved the show.  I remember being asked by some Japanese tourists if they could get pictures of us on our horses. lol what great memories from my childhood. My family had a lot of ranch/farmland in that area and it truly saddens me to see that area so built up and the open fields are basically gone. 

It cracks me up to hear those women talk about Parker being sooo out in the country and sooo far from Dallas. I live 60 miles from Dallas and they would freak and think they were for sure out in the sticks on my ranch.  I also cringe when I see any show try to be "cowboys or cowgirls".  We actually EARN those belt buckles we do not buy them!  Also, we wear straw hats from spring to Labor day and felt after Labor day.  I do not know when this was filmed but it looked like the warm months.  

Also, Mama Dee is vile and most REAL Texans do not act like her or the crew on "Dallas".

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

The fact that D'Andra somehow got all her fathers inheritance is crap.  How did she succeed?

When my father died, his wife (my mother) got the "inheritance" (house/life insurance/pension etc).  After my mother died my sisters and I split the "inheritance" left by both my father and mother.  Why would I think that as a grown child that I was entitled to anything after my father passed?  He was married.  It goes to the spouse.  

My FIL passed away 2 years ago and he was married (not to my husbands mother anymore). Guess who got the "inheritance"?  The WIFE.  The sons got the part of the life insurance willed to them by their father but they have NO claim on the property/house or anything else until SHE dies.  And that's if SHE doesn't change her will to give to whomever she pleases.  Just being a child of someone who dies guarantees you NOTHING.  It's called something like "survivors rights". The stepmom has every right to whatever is left and gets to keep the property/home.   

I tend to "like" D'Andra but this seems downright criminal.

• Love 4
On 4/21/2021 at 1:32 PM, MaggieG said:

Oof Dee, speaking about D'andra's stepmom was very cringe. And unnecessary and mean. 

Maybe Mama Dee harbors some resentment towards the stepmother, she got the money and maybe Mama Dee thinks that stepmother had something to do with the untimely death, not as in she did it but as in she drove him to it.

On 4/21/2021 at 2:47 PM, TheCouchPotato said:

One of the grossest things I have seen on this franchise, I'd rather eat a chicken foot, craw and all than let that shaman suck or blow my nose.  Also, if he is sucking, is he swallowing? Barf.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jack Terrier said:

When my father died, his wife (my mother) got the "inheritance" (house/life insurance/pension etc).  After my mother died my sisters and I split the "inheritance" left by both my father and mother.  Why would I think that as a grown child that I was entitled to anything after my father passed?  He was married.  It goes to the spouse.  

My FIL passed away 2 years ago and he was married (not to my husbands mother anymore). Guess who got the "inheritance"?  The WIFE.  The sons got the part of the life insurance willed to them by their father but they have NO claim on the property/house or anything else until SHE dies.  And that's if SHE doesn't change her will to give to whomever she pleases.  Just being a child of someone who dies guarantees you NOTHING.  It's called something like "survivors rights". The stepmom has every right to whatever is left and gets to keep the property/home.

Every state has its own probate laws. Even then, those probate laws change in applicability according to whatever will was left. In most cases, if there is no will or stipulation that someone's assets go to a particular person or organization, then the current spouse is usually the heir. If there is no spouse, then it goes to children and whatever succession of heirs dictated by state law. If your father or father-in-law had a legitimate will that his spouse did not get anything and everything went to his beloved pet ferret, then the ferret would get everything and you and the rest of your relatives would get nothing. In D'Andra's case, she has stated multiple times there were two wills: one that left everything to her and one that left everything to her brother. The legal battle was over which will was the legit one, or what was the father's last wish of who was to inherit his money?

Where D'Andra had her claim was that Mama Dee said an episode or 2 ago that she and D'Andra's father agreed that he wouldn't pay child support with the stipulation that he would leave everything to D'Andra when he died. That's the will that Mama Dee and D'Andra have. Apparently, and unsurprisingly, he had a change of heart after marrying stepmom and having a son, and he drew up a second will stipulating that his son would inherit everything. That's the will stepmom had. There must have been some sort of language in either will, or both wills, that didn't negate the other full stop, hence the expensive legal battle. 

It sounded out of character for Mama Dee to agree to no child support if D'Andra got everything when her father died, because Mama Dee has show herself to be extremely selfish and greedy, and it surprised me she would agree to something like this that had a higher chance of her not getting any money.

Here's my theory on what went down; I'm purely speculating here. I suspect Mama Dee got caught stepping out on D'Andra's father and he had hard proof that would guarantee him not having to pay alimony to Mama Dee. Mama Dee knew this, but she had her ace card of D'Andra, in which she knew she could get him to pay through the nose in child support. Daddy Dee didn't want to pay child support, because he knew Mama Dee would spend the money on herself, not on D'Andra, so he probably initially tried to set up a trust fund where he would make the child support payments so that and D'Andra could access the trust fund when she turned 18. Mama Dee probably didn't like that, because then she doesn't get to control the money, which is Daddy Dee's whole point. Mama Dee probably fought that or the law or judge wouldn't agree to it, or something. For whatever reason, they reached the agreement (more likely a compromise after a lot of legal battling) that Daddy Dee didn't have to pay child support if he left everything to D'Andra, and probably had to draw up said will immediately and give a certified original to Mama Dee. I also suspect that Mama Dee had already locked down Simmonds by then and knew she would have his money to afford her the lifestyle she wanted to be accustomed to, which is the only reason she agreed to the will compromise. It was never about providing for D'Andra; Mama Dee wants money, and lots of it, and SHE wants to be the ONLY one in control of it. Remember: she is the trustee of the trust fund that Simmonds left to D'Andra, meaning D'Andra has to go to Mama Dee anytime she wants to access the trust.

Mama Dee has shown herself to be a very selfish, vindictive, controlling and extremely greedy woman, who has no qualms about hurting her daughter if she feels like it, time and time again on the show. And, that's just what we see on the show! I still remember D'Andra saying in her first season how she had a happy and successful life in D.C. when Mama Dee begged her to come back to Dallas and run the company, because Mama Dee was tired and wanted to retire. D'Andra finally caved and completely uprooted her life, and then Mama Dee handed the company over...about 12 years later. Mama Dee didn't want to retire; she wanted to control D'Andra. It would serve D'Andra well if she got therapy and cut Mama Dee out of her life. I don't think that'll ever happen, because I think Mama Dee has manipulated D'Andra so much over the years that D'Andra probably thinks she can't function without her. While I'm not necessarily a fan of D'Andra, I absolutely HATE how her mother treats her. I can only imagine the mommy dearest she was during D'Andra's childhood and wish D'Andra would tell her to fuck off and completely walk out of Dee's life. That would be the only way to "get to" Dee, and it would probably be the only way to earn her respect. I absolutely despise Mama Dee.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
23 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I don't know how D'andra kept a straight face when healer Darren put the Peruvian (?) hat on to finish the "ritual."

...And she probably pays him big $$$ to do such things!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Book Junkie said:

Every state has its own probate laws. Even then, those probate laws change in applicability according to whatever will was left. In most cases, if there is no will or stipulation that someone's assets go to a particular person or organization, then the current spouse is usually the heir. If there is no spouse, then it goes to children and whatever succession of heirs dictated by state law. If your father or father-in-law had a legitimate will that his spouse did not get anything and everything went to his beloved pet ferret, then the ferret would get everything and you and the rest of your relatives would get nothing. In D'Andra's case, she has stated multiple times there were two wills: one that left everything to her and one that left everything to her brother. The legal battle was over which will was the legit one, or what was the father's last wish of who was to inherit his money?

Where D'Andra had her claim was that Mama Dee said an episode or 2 ago that she and D'Andra's father agreed that he wouldn't pay child support with the stipulation that he would leave everything to D'Andra when he died. That's the will that Mama Dee and D'Andra have. Apparently, and unsurprisingly, he had a change of heart after marrying stepmom and having a son, and he drew up a second will stipulating that his son would inherit everything. That's the will stepmom had. There must have been some sort of language in either will, or both wills, that didn't negate the other full stop, hence the expensive legal battle. 

It sounded out of character for Mama Dee to agree to no child support if D'Andra got everything when her father died, because Mama Dee has show herself to be extremely selfish and greedy, and it surprised me she would agree to something like this that had a higher chance of her not getting any money.

Here's my theory on what went down; I'm purely speculating here. I suspect Mama Dee got caught stepping out on D'Andra's father and he had hard proof that would guarantee him not having to pay alimony to Mama Dee. Mama Dee knew this, but she had her ace card of D'Andra, in which she knew she could get him to pay through the nose in child support. Daddy Dee didn't want to pay child support, because he knew Mama Dee would spend the money on herself, not on D'Andra, so he probably initially tried to set up a trust fund where he would make the child support payments so that and D'Andra could access the trust fund when she turned 18. Mama Dee probably didn't like that, because then she doesn't get to control the money, which is Daddy Dee's whole point. Mama Dee probably fought that or the law or judge wouldn't agree to it, or something. For whatever reason, they reached the agreement (more likely a compromise after a lot of legal battling) that Daddy Dee didn't have to pay child support if he left everything to D'Andra, and probably had to draw up said will immediately and give a certified original to Mama Dee. I also suspect that Mama Dee had already locked down Simmonds by then and knew she would have his money to afford her the lifestyle she wanted to be accustomed to, which is the only reason she agreed to the will compromise. It was never about providing for D'Andra; Mama Dee wants money, and lots of it, and SHE wants to be the ONLY one in control of it. Remember: she is the trustee of the trust fund that Simmonds left to D'Andra, meaning D'Andra has to go to Mama Dee anytime she wants to access the trust.

Mama Dee has shown herself to be a very selfish, vindictive, controlling and extremely greedy woman, who has no qualms about hurting her daughter if she feels like it, time and time again on the show. And, that's just what we see on the show! I still remember D'Andra saying in her first season how she had a happy and successful life in D.C. when Mama Dee begged her to come back to Dallas and run the company, because Mama Dee was tired and wanted to retire. D'Andra finally caved and completely uprooted her life, and then Mama Dee handed the company over...about 12 years later. Mama Dee didn't want to retire; she wanted to control D'Andra. It would serve D'Andra well if she got therapy and cut Mama Dee out of her life. I don't think that'll ever happen, because I think Mama Dee has manipulated D'Andra so much over the years that D'Andra probably thinks she can't function without her. While I'm not necessarily a fan of D'Andra, I absolutely HATE how her mother treats her. I can only imagine the mommy dearest she was during D'Andra's childhood and wish D'Andra would tell her to fuck off and completely walk out of Dee's life. That would be the only way to "get to" Dee, and it would probably be the only way to earn her respect. I absolutely despise Mama Dee.

Agreed and I like your theory.  One question: she did say (as you noted) that there were 2 wills.  Why would the most currently dated will not supersede the older will? I just can’t figure out how D’Andra actually pulled this off...🤷🏼‍♀️

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Jack Terrier said:

Agreed and I like your theory.  One question: she did say (as you noted) that there were 2 wills.  Why would the most currently dated will not supersede the older will? I just can’t figure out how D’Andra actually pulled this off...🤷🏼‍♀️

That I don’t know, either. There must’ve have been some kind of loophole. Maybe Mama and Daddy Dee’s divorce settlement and custody agreement gave D’Andra the edge? Mama Dee gave sexual favors to the judge in exchange for a favorable ruling? I wouldn’t put it past Mama Dee to do anything to get what she wants. And, I’d bet the will contesting was more about Mama Dee going after her ex one last time and sticking it to the new woman. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Jack Terrier said:

The fact that D'Andra somehow got all her fathers inheritance is crap.  How did she succeed?

Inheritance is a tricky thing when parents divorce.  My mom died first and inherited the wealth from her family.  My step-dad threw away the will leaving the estate intestate and his kids then inherited everything.  As a kid, I knew where the will was in the filing cabinet and it was pretty simple.  Spouse gets everything and then kids get everything. *Because I knew where everything was, I knew where the copy of the will was in the filing cabinet.  Copies don't count but one can read them.*  I hope my step-dad rots in hell.

Back to Dallas, I don't understand her story as she tells it.  There was an original will and then a subsequent will and the estate went to court and the original will was ruled valid?  As in D'Andra inherited everything?  *Scratching head*

Among the mysteries is why D'Andra would want to make amends with her step-family.  At this point, it is water under the bridge.  My advice to her is to just keep moving on with her life.

Edited by albarino
  • Love 3
On 4/21/2021 at 6:00 PM, TexasGal said:

I don't know how D'andra kept a straight face when healer Darren put the Peruvian (?) hat on to finish the "ritual."

I don’t know how she takes life advice from someone who would wear that hat. 

• LOL 5

Mama Dee is so gross. She’s so ugly inside I wouldn’t exactly call her a beauty on the outside either. Her hair is so weird. He can be corny but thankfully D’andra has Jeremy.

I laughed at D’andra doing a fake line of coke as her 80s trick lol.

I was confused too about that Jen chick having no bed. She has to drive home at bedtime I guess lol.

I hate sharing beds so I would be annoyed with the room assignments especially the 3 in one bed like no. I want my own bed. Rooming with dumbass Brandi too yuck.

• Love 7
On 4/22/2021 at 7:23 PM, Jack Terrier said:

On 4/22/2021 at 8:29 PM, albarino said:

Inheritance is a tricky thing when parents divorce.  My mom died first and inherited the wealth from her family.  My step-dad threw away the will leaving the estate intestate and his kids then inherited everything.  As a kid, I knew where the will was in the filing cabinet and it was pretty simple.  Spouse gets everything and then kids get everything. *Because I knew where everything was, I knew where the copy of the will was in the filing cabinet.  Copies don't count but one can read them.*  I hope my step-dad rots in hell.

Back to Dallas, I don't understand her story as she tells it.  There was an original will and then a subsequent will and the estate went to court and the original will was ruled valid?  As in D'Andra inherited everything?  *Scratching head*

Among the mysteries is why D'Andra would want to make amends with her step-family.  At this point, it is water under the bridge.  My advice to her is to just keep moving on with her life.

I think the fact that her father didn't have to pay any money for child support makes the difference. If it wasn't just shaking hands kinda deal between them but it was done through their lawyers and it was legally binding. That later affected the second will's validity.

• Love 2