Type keyword(s) to search

The 1619 Project - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Academy Award-winning filmmaker Roger Ross Williams will produce and oversee a documentary series based on materials drawn from The New York Times Magazine and Nikole Hannah-Jones' acclaimed "The 1619 Project."

One of the most impactful and thought-provoking works of journalism of the past decade, The New York Times Magazine’s “The 1619 Project” was a landmark undertaking that connected the centrality of slavery in U.S. history with an unflinching account of the brutal racism that endures in so many aspects of American life today. 

Will air on Hulu.

• Love 1

I didn't read the New York Times articles related to this (this was before I got a subscription; is the Magazine different from the paper?) so I'm looking forward to this. I'm sure it's going to be controversial just like it was for the NYTimes

3 hours ago, DanaK said:

I didn't read the New York Times articles related to this (this was before I got a subscription; is the Magazine different from the paper?) so I'm looking forward to this. I'm sure it's going to be controversial just like it was for the NYTimes

If you're interested, they had a series of podcasts on it that didn't require a subscription.  If you search for "1619 New York Times" in a podcast app the series should come up.

• Love 1

I remember that there was push back from scholars in the academia world on the accuracy of this project. The scholars (actual scholars, not political talking heads/writers although those types did also weigh in) were mocked and ridiculed. Then months later came the op-ed from the NYT's own fact checker, Leslie M. Harris https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_M._Harris , stating that the NYT's and the author of this project were repeatedly told by her before publication that it was an inaccurate historical account. Quickly after that op-ed the NYT's issued a (forced) correction which then turned the whole project into an historical story instead of an historical factual account.

Leslie M. Harris works are much more interesting than this project.

• Love 2