Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E01: Out of the Ashes

• Start Topic

With half the crab boats tied up, Sig devises a plan to save the fishery from destruction. As Bering Sea legend Johnathan Hillstrand returns with the Time Bandit to help, veterans struggle to prove they can work together to defend the American dream.

Knowing that how much the loss of Mahlon effected them all and knowing Nick and seeing him tore up over it, just makes me incredibly sad. Then to see Wild Bill tearing up and voice breaking. These guys, man, hurts my heart knowing Nick's passing is coming.

• Love 2

This used to be one of my favorite shows. Now it seems dedicated to manufactured drama and general assholery.  Throw in the return of Hillstrand and the continual in your face inclusion of the horrible Josh Harris and I just cannot with this. the constant 'ode to the old man' (Phil Harris) is on my last nerve.

I don't know if I can watch this. And it would be the first season since the beginning that has pushed me that far.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I don't know if I can watch this. And it would be the first season since the beginning that has pushed me that far.

I'm with you.  I was pretty excited at the "let's all work together to save the fishery" plot.  And then it turned out to be the WORST example of "every man for himself" in the history of Deadliest Catch.  

I bet they spent the earlier part of the pandemic hoarding toilet paper, antiseptic wipes and masks.

• Love 4

I still like it. Very interesting to see how the covid effects this season. And all the 'every man for themselves' lying, cheating and cut throat drama...I think that was all scripted. They have to make it interesting somehow. They will all catch their crab and save the fishery...I am guessing. 

The Josh Harris' make his dad proud stuff doesn't bug me either. He is on Hillsttand's boat so we likely won't hear anymore of that. But I guess they will  be shoving this new Hawaii spinoff down our throats. Not that interested in that. 

I used to hate Casey but that guy is one smart fisher. He knows what he's doing. I can see why Josh has locked onto partnering up with him. He will manage going solo just fine.

The Nick stuff is sooooo sad. Wonder if the after season show in that bar will be filmed after he died and we will see all the pain and tears. It's coming and it will be awful. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Lamima said:

I still like it. Very interesting to see how the covid effects this season. And all the 'every man for themselves' lying, cheating and cut throat drama...I think that was all scripted. They have to make it interesting somehow. They will all catch their crab and save the fishery...I am guessing. 

I hope it IS scripted . . . but I'll never understand why people will allow themselves to be portrayed as selfish assholes on a "reality" show. 

I wonder if part of the reason that Sean Dwyer and the Brenna A were not offered a Discovery contract for season 16 and after was because the Dwyer family would not play along with the always-in-conflict-about-something scripts.  I miss them and the example that Sean set that young men can be successful crab captains and behave better than we've seen from some of the other "young guns."  

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I miss them and the example that Sean set that young men can be successful crab captains and behave better than we've seen from some of the other "young guns."

Agree 100%. I'd love to know the reason but I suspect your point about them not playing along with the script is true. Sean showed maturity and judgment way beyond his years. Especially compared to a certain "young gun" brother who is quick to place himself in front of a camera but do little else actually related to, you know, work.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, dsteele said:

Especially compared to a certain "young gun" brother who is quick to place himself in front of a camera but do little else actually related to, you know, work.

Mr. AZC and I were talking about the whole "why did Josh need to go to the Time Bandit" scenario.  We concluded:

1. Johnathan is better with someone in the wheelhouse that he can play off of.
  2. Josh is the only person on the show who does pretty much nothing in his own wheelhouse, so he wouldn't be missed on the Cornelia Marie.

True funny story:  We have a young man (around 25ish) single-handedly removing an old epoxy paint/coating combo from our driveway.  He is working alone, down on his hands and knees with a grinder, and he's doing a great job.  He also is part owner of a gym, and does web design.  He is NOT afraid to work.

His name:  Josh Harris.  LOL.

• LOL 6
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Josh is the only person on the show who does pretty much nothing in his own wheelhouse, so he wouldn't be missed on the Cornelia Marie.

So true. (And I can't imagine how you guessed the "young gun" to whom I was referring.) 😝 🤪 😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Lamima said:

I used to hate Casey but that guy is one smart fisher. He knows what he's doing. I can see why Josh has locked onto partnering up with him. He will manage going solo just fine.

The Nick stuff is sooooo sad. Wonder if the after season show in that bar will be filmed after he died and we will see all the pain and tears. It's coming and it will be awful. 

I love Casey and think he knows what he is doing and can also fix the boat if they are in a bind. 

I am not looking forward to the Nick stuff. Every scene just makes my heart ache and it makes me wonder if losing Mahlon pushed him back to using.

• Love 2

I just couldn't with Hawaii and treasure maps from Phil.  I did like the talk about the need for creating a market.  Finally, a bit of real world issues which could ground whole fleets.  Then, the braggadocio of Harris ruined it.  Yeah, Josh.  You gonna outsmart the canneries and the feds and EVERYONE.  You gonna convince Americans to buy up mass quantities of crab to prepare at home.  Sure, you are.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Mr. AZC and I were talking about the whole "why did Josh need to go to the Time Bandit" scenario.  We concluded:

1. Johnathan is better with someone in the wheelhouse that he can play off of.
  2. Josh is the only person on the show who does pretty much nothing in his own wheelhouse, so he wouldn't be missed on the Cornelia Marie.

I was wondering why Josh was there with Johnathan, for some reason I couldn't concentrate on the dialogue explaining why he was there.  It makes just as much sense as the rest of the "we gotta save the fisheries and our future" stuff.  

As for Josh's vanity project, it annoys me no end that my DVR automatically records it with Dangerous Catch.  I immediately delete it without watching.

• Love 4

Sig in the beginning:   We gotta work together to save the fishery this year.   Everyone share information.

Sig when he hits the crab:   I'm not just thinking about this year, but the future.  

Oh shut up Sig.   Sig used to be my favorite but he's just too much an asshole right now.   Good for Mandy for pointing out that Jake is like family that's why she gave him the info.   

Josh to the TB was just STUPID.   Like everything related to Josh.   Seriously, Jonathan, half the fleet is not putting out and the ONLY person you can find as a relief captain is the owner of another boat?   Who decides its better to leave his own boat and go work with you?   The reason Jonathan said was to see if there was anything else to teach him that Phil didn't.    Phil's been gone over 10 years, I think you had PLENTY of time to teach him IF Johnathan was willing to learn anything.   Also with that, they said they were having trouble finding crews.   Ummm, half the fleet is tied up, there are guys BEGGING for jobs.   You only brought the Hawaii guy for cross over purposes.   But that did cause me to think, the Northwestern has a pretty stable crew but it seems the others always have to go hunting for a deck hand or two every year.   Disco driven drama or a commentary on how the other boats are run?   You decide.

I noticed no Harley either this year.   YAAAAAY.    Also, did everyone quarantine for 2 weeks before putting out because the only time we saw any masks was when there was a possible infection on the Summer Bay.   The Navy Vet in me appreciated the use of signal flags to signify a quarantine ship.   Thankfully NOT Covid.   

• Love 7
9 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Sig in the beginning:   We gotta work together to save the fishery this year.   Everyone share information.

Sig when he hits the crab:   I'm not just thinking about this year, but the future.  

SNIP

I noticed no Harley either this year.   YAAAAAY.    Also, did everyone quarantine for 2 weeks before putting out because the only time we saw any masks was when there was a possible infection on the Summer Bay.   The Navy Vet in me appreciated the use of signal flags to signify a quarantine ship.   Thankfully NOT Covid.   

I suspect the "band together" agreement was simply to fan out and check certain pre-determined sectors without overlap in order to satisfy whatever governmental red tape they had to comply with because the official survey hadn't taken place (and that other boats were similarly assigned areas), then fish as usual, giving up a location to the others (on the show) after they've filled their boat so that the next guy can get his. And the rest is wacky hijinx.

I think Dutch Harbor had a 2 week mandatory quarantine (fishing not included) so presumably they did so on the boats. Some of them seemed to be just arriving dockside, so perhaps they also were able to isolate in the hotel. 

Any show without Harley is a good show.  

Disco, I am not going to watch any Josh show, no matter how you shoehorn it into the DVR of Deadliest Catch. It showed up individually AND as part of the 3 hr DC, so quit yer shenanigans. Didn't watch the last time you tried, won't this time, either. 

• Love 6

Keith proves himself to be a raging asshole at every chance, doesn't he? And Sig really needs to have whatever his growing on his face checked out, it doesn't look good. Um, so Jeff from Hawaii falls down the steps, hits his head super hard, is throwing up, and they send him to bed. Isn't that the first rule of concussion, don't go to sleep? Regardless if they knew if he had one or not, wouldn't it be better to just say yes he did? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

And Sig really needs to have whatever his growing on his face checked out, it doesn't look good.

Looks like a sebaceous keratosis, and those are not usually malignant. I’ve had dozens of them, unfortunately. Easy enough for a dermatologist to remove in the office.

And yes, one struggles to find a way to describe how much of an asshole Keith is.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2021 at 2:13 PM, Fostersmom said:

Isn't that the first rule of concussion, don't go to sleep? R

Actually, no. This is a myth that has been perpetuated as long as I can remember by movies and TV.

The actual way to deal with what seems to be a rather minor head injury is to make sure when the person goes to sleep, to check on him periodically in the beginning to make sure he can be aroused and hasn't slipped into a coma.

It's natural for people with head injuries, even relatively minor ones, to be sleepy. Unless there are symptoms of a more serious nature, like being unable to carry on a conversation, or an inability to walk without difficulty, it's advisable to get rest and sleep.

• Useful 1
On 4/21/2021 at 12:45 PM, dsteele said:

So true. (And I can't imagine how you guessed the "young gun" to whom I was referring.) 😝 🤪 😂

Isn't Josh pushing 40 by now?  How long can he be a "young gun"?  

• LOL 3