Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 4/19/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Am I wrong or did Whoopi accidentally say “Luke Bryan” when she meant to say “Don Lemon” before the second commercial break??

Twice I heard her say a name that wasn't "Don Lemon"

• LOL 5

What an obvious set-up to praise Whoopi today. She pretends to ask the question "Is anyone going to watch the Oscars this weekend? Sarah ?"

To which Sara goes into ass-kissing mode and tells her she's on the cover of VANITY FAIR, celebrating her 30th anniversary to win an Oscar (who cares), and Whoopi feigned surprise that Sara brought this up.  Then we go round-robin to the other hosts who never mention the Oscars this weekend, but do praise Whoopi for her 'amazing photos' because she 'looks so beautiful' (I gagged - the photos were horrible and she looked ridiculous) and then had to let the audience know the trivia behind her role in 'Ghost' (who cares).

Of course, no one acknowledged this weekend's Oscars, which is what she asked in the first place.

Talk about a bulls*** segment !  Why not just be honest with everyone and shoe the magazine and go on from there ?

And did we really have to end the show with an Infomercial ?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 4/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, Pearson80 said:

Same here and I changed the channel when it was her turn to speak. I find myself doing that more and more these days. I just cannot take her anymore. 

I have enjoyed Sunny for years, but her change in appearance so puts me off, I can't enjoy her. I have a sense of her wanting to be a different person from the person I have enjoyed.

3 hours ago, bannana said:

I thought this was so interesting because she repeatedly says she is a contrarian, and that she doesn't fall in line with government telling her what to do. Policing is part of the government.

George Floyd's murder is in a different category for her. I bet she is in the group of people who say black men (or women) who run from the police deserve to be shot. With Floyd's murder she has seen the actual video so it affects her differently. And remember how she defended that weird white couple who were waving their weapons around because they say they were protecting their home from looters, who were actually protesters? She is all over the map on this issue and I think in part it is because she took so much heat for her racist comments that one week. 

And why does she repeatedly say she has all these friends in the police and in the military. Is it necessary to say that every time? And who cares if she has friends in the police, it doesn't change anything about the facts of what happened.

The one consistency with Meghan is her inconsistency. 

I distinctly remember Meghan being very affected by the death of Elijah McClain. There have been countless tragedies, but that was one that even got to the coldest of hearts. (For anyone unfamiliar, I suggest looking up his case. The footage is hard watch because you instantly see he was a sweet, gentle soul, but I think it's important to watch.) I thought, finally! Meghan now sees what a lot of us are fed up with! It's better late than never that Meghan sees there's a problem. Maybe she'd even apologize for what she said about Colin Kaepernick. I know, I know, wishful thinking. She always reverts back to her old self, usually the next day, if not the next segment.

Problem is she fancies herself this tough chick, gotcha ? girl, but she wants desperately to be liked and one of the cool kids. She wants to beat up on Joy to score points with her tribe, but she wants to be at Joy's house eating lasagna. She wants to bash the media that she feels don't bother to understand her tribe and be dismissive of how black Americans are treated, but she wants to be on a texting level with Don Lemon. Sorry princess, but life doesn't work like that, not even for you. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
10 hours ago, deirdra said:

Twice I heard her say a name that wasn't "Don Lemon"

I swear, when she guests on the new season of Star Trek: Picard are they going to have to come up with some explanation of why Guinan, a being who was supposed to be eons old, has suddenly turned senile in just an extra 30 years or so? 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

I have enjoyed Sunny for years, but her change in appearance so puts me off, I can't enjoy her. I have a sense of her wanting to be a different person from the person I have enjoyed.

I thought her saying Don Lemon was wrong was rude. Her and Don might see the police shooting in Columbus differently but that doesn't mean he is wrong.  

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 9

Know what? I don't care. Those make-up artists made Whoopi look GREAT for the Variety cover. And I don't care that Sara was gushing over the 30 years since she won the Oscar for Ghost. Though it's interesting how she left out the story of how it was Patrick Swayze who told them to hire her for Oda Mae Brown. Whoopi talked about how grateful she was to him for doing that after he had passed.

And I won't lie. I was hoping that they would have provided the audio for those clips they showed. Yes! Especially the "Molly? You in Danger, Girl." And the one at the bank where she asks the teller for another signature card because "I signed the wrong name" And her telling Sam to leave he alone after he made her give the money to the nuns!

Can y'all tell I LOOOOOVE this movie?

Or at least air Whoopi's acceptance speech.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12

Wow, that clip they played at the beginning of the show—first I’ve seen it. That woman was a complete nutjob. Joy was right to say it says more about the parents than the children. Thank God for Sunny laying down the facts at the end of this segment.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13

How the hell many times will Joy refer to Caitlyn Jenner as 'he' in the segment ? Joy, the Democrat, the pro-LGBTQ host, referred to her multiple times as 'he'.  'He' has Brad Pascal running the campaign, that's who's running his campaign'  etc.  - right to the very end.

Edited by LetsStartTalking
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

How the hell many times will Joy refer to Caitlyn Jenner as 'he' in the segment ? Joy, the Democrat, the pro-LGBTQ host, referred to her multiple times as 'he'.  'He' has Brad Pascal running the campaign, 'his voting record is spotty', etc.  - right to the very end.

She just apologized.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Axie said:

She just apologized.

She shouldn't have done it at all. CJ has identified as a woman for many years, and Joy should know her pronouns. I don't think Joy has referred to other females as 'he'. She closed with "I think he should - she rather - should take a seat..."  WOW - how insulting, no matter the apology.

Maybe I'm sensitive about this because I work in a college where this is so prominent. Many transgendered students and staff. We had to go to three diversity workshops in the past 12 months which emphasized the importance of knowing someone's pronoun choice and addressing them correctly, otherwise you're insulting them or mocking them (intentionally or not).  If it continues, you have to attend the workshop series all over again. I think Joy could benefit from these workshops.

Edited by LetsStartTalking
1 minute ago, LetsStartTalking said:

She shouldn't have done it at all. CJ has identified as a woman for many years, and Joy should know her pronouns. I don't think Joy has referred to other females as 'he'. She closed with "I think he should - she rather - should take a seat..."  WOW - how insulting, no matter the apology.

Sh*t happens.

• Love 12
19 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Oh for Frog's Legs!  Meganutz mentioned she was brought up to respect authority, the military, etc.I  guess she wasn't brought up to respect those older and

Wasn't she just a rebellious rabble-rouser last week?

13 minutes ago, Axie said:

Gee, Sara.  Do you personally know anyone who "grew up in politics" that is not particularly qualified to run for office?  Anyone you see regularly?

Nice shade, Sara. I hope you keep standing up for yourself.

12 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

How the hell many times will Joy refer to Caitlyn Jenner as 'he' in the segment ? Joy, the Democrat, the pro-LGBTQ host, referred to her multiple times as 'he'.  'He' has Brad Pascal running the campaign, 'his voting record is spotty', etc.  - right to the very end.

Even though she apologized, it was disappointing to hear Joy misgendering Caitlin Jenner more than once. She should be better than that.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Axie said:

Sh*t happens.

It shouldn't.

1 minute ago, LetsStartTalking said:

It shouldn't.

Even though she apologized, it was disappointing to hear Joy misgendering Caitlin Jenner more than once. She should be better than that.

Exactly - and her throw-away excuse "I think I just didn't get enough sleep last night..." was laughable. I've always liked Joy, and expect more from her.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Axie said:

She just apologized.

She also corrected herself in real time. If it was deliberate, she wouldn't have bothered to then apologize when they came back from break even though she'd already corrected herself. Much ado about nothing, imo.

I agreed with Sunny that Jenner doesn't have the experience to be running anything, much less one of the top two biggest states in the country. And she's regularly the only one who brings up relevant facts to a story, again, by pointing out how hypocritical Jenner was for having supported Trump.

• Love 23
On 4/22/2021 at 11:08 AM, Haleth said:

The girl who was shot had a knife. What if the girl she was swinging it at had been stabbed?  Should the police stand by while she was in danger?  (I hate agreeing with Meg.)

Nope. The police have other tools at their disposal that they are able to use to prevent a tragedy of any kind.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:17 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Oh good Whoopi brought it up. And I agree about her asking why did they have to shoot first as opposed to how they treated the likes of Kyle Rittenhouse.

Circling back to this. Spartan Girl, YES! And thank you Whoop. Kyle Rittenhouse had a big old assault-style rifle and was not apprehended before shooting Jacob Blake. 

Imagine that same scenario with a bunch of white kids fighting in the front yard. I don't have a doubt in my mind that the officer would have handled it differently. 

• Love 10
18 hours ago, bannana said:

I thought this was so interesting because she repeatedly says she is a contrarian, and that she doesn't fall in line with government telling her what to do. Policing is part of the government.

George Floyd's murder is in a different category for her. I bet she is in the group of people who say black men (or women) who run from the police deserve to be shot. With Floyd's murder she has seen the actual video so it affects her differently. And remember how she defended that weird white couple who were waving their weapons around because they say they were protecting their home from looters, who were actually protesters? She is all over the map on this issue and I think in part it is because she took so much heat for her racist comments that one week. 

And why does she repeatedly say she has all these friends in the police and in the military. Is it necessary to say that every time? And who cares if she has friends in the police, it doesn't change anything about the facts of what happened.

When they were talking about Whoopi writing a superhero who is an older black woman, she name dropped some guy she knows who writes comics (or something, I didn't quite catch it), and suggested that Whoopi work with him. I don't know, I am pretty sure Whoopi knows thousands of people in the industry she can reach out to.

I think part of her issue is that she really does stand with the police on all of these but knows she can’t appear to be too racist.  So on george Floyd she feels it’s safer to agree the police overstepped but I’m not sure she fully believes it herself.  Re friends in police and military, I guess she thinks it makes her an expert even though everyone know it doesn’t.  I think she’s trying really hard to feel she’s as good and smart and in the know as everyone else. I wonder at the dynamic with her husband...does he make her feel smart and superior or does he do the opposite?  

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

Nope. The police have other tools at their disposal that they are able to use to prevent a tragedy of any kind.

Circling back to this. Spartan Girl, YES! And thank you Whoop. Kyle Rittenhouse had a big old assault-style rifle and was not apprehended before shooting Jacob Blake. 

Imagine that same scenario with a bunch of white kids fighting in the front yard. I don't have a doubt in my mind that the officer would have handled it differently. 

Exactly!  During the protests in seattle last summer the police had set up a barricade and the protestors were set up away from that.  Some guy in a car plowed through the protestors, got out with a gun and started walking towards the police and gets all the way there.  They did nothing...so of course he was white.  Does anyone think a POC would have made it more than a foot towards them before he or she was mowed down?  

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

I think she’s trying really hard to feel she’s as good and smart and in the know as everyone else. I wonder at the dynamic with her husband...does he make her feel smart and superior or does he do the opposite?  

Meghan using words she thinks makes her sound smart is just one example of her being aware she isn't as smart as she wants to be.  If she really thought she was smart she would use words that come naturally to her.  She wouldn't be trying to prove she is smart. And considering what we know about her husband's job history I think it's very possible Meghan might be the brains in that marriage.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

And considering what we know about her husband's job history I think it's very possible Meghan might be the brains in that marriage.

There's a scary thought. 😉😂

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

She also corrected herself in real time. If it was deliberate, she wouldn't have bothered to then apologize when they came back from break even though she'd already corrected herself. Much ado about nothing, imo.

I agreed with Sunny that Jenner doesn't have the experience to be running anything, much less one of the top two biggest states in the country. And she's regularly the only one who brings up relevant facts to a story, again, by pointing out how hypocritical Jenner was for having supported Trump.

I adore Joy, but where was the producer?  He or she should have been SCREAMING in her ear!  It wasn't just once, it was every freakin' reference.  I was upset.  I'm still upset.

I know it was more than once, she corrected herself several different times during the topic, before then apologizing when they came back. You have every right to be upset over her misspeaking, but I can't say I feel the same way as you. *shrug* Personally, I choose to think of people based on their choices.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Sunny is now fully vaccinated. Sara recently had her first shot. It looks like we are getting closer to Joy's lasagna dinner!! 😊 Can a return to the studio be coming soon?

Glad to see that sunny mentioned that the number of cases in children is in the rise and can have serious complications. I swim at a center that has children there for preschool as well as a virtual school program (for working parents, kids bring their computer and attend their own school virtually with an adult overseeing them, etc).  All of these kids are wearing masks, including the 3 and 4 year olds, without any issues.  It can be done.  (Btw, the center is following all state covid regulations with these programs). I do feel for parents like that mom in the clip, but the reality is that this thing kills.  And strangely, those who won’t get vaccinated and complain about not returning to normal are the ones who will keep us all from returning to normal. 

am on the west coast, and joy referred to Jenner as she in her intro of the topic and later.  Did they re-film this somehow?  At the end she did use “he” and immediately corrected to “she”.  Odd.  

Edited by Rainyhawk
Add
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

I adore Joy, but where was the producer?  He or she should have been SCREAMING in her ear!  It wasn't just once, it was every freakin' reference.  I was upset.  I'm still upset.

Joy's non-chalant "sorry if anyone was offended" was weak and she should have done better. She clearly doesn't see what the big deal is, but someone did and told her. I do not think Jenner belongs in politics at all, but neither does she deserve to be mis-gendered. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Joy's non-chalant "sorry if anyone was offended" was weak and she should have done better. She clearly doesn't see what the big deal is, but someone did and told her. I do not think Jenner belongs in politics at all, but neither does she deserve to be mis-gendered. 

It might have been subconscious on her part but if Joy doesn't like Caitlin Jenner it could explain why she misspoke.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Yet Whoopi constantly butchers peoples' names and laughs it off as if not knowing how to pronounce ethnic names or mixing up Don Lemon & LeBron is no big deal.  Peoples' names are part of their identity just like their gender.  It is unprofessional and ignorant to not know how to pronounce your guests' names or to not be able to tell black men apart. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
46 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

well, i took it more that she was flustered about her gaffe, embarrassed for having said the wrong thing.  

• Love 9

I was really disappointed with Ana’s words after the crazy mom clip, and I hate to say it, but she sounded no different than Meghan in that moment. They both blamed the CDC for the fact that states, cities, stores, etc. enforce masks and Covid regulations differently. Meghan’s a moron, but Ana knows full well the CDC can only recommend - they have no authority to enforce.  And red states are more lax overall. 

And 🙄 that people need the “incentive” of immediately ending mask wearing after the vaccine. So we should endanger people, Ana, to coax the foolish into getting a dose in their arm?  

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

I was really disappointed with Ana’s words after the crazy mom clip, and I hate to say it, but she sounded no different than Meghan in that moment. They both blamed the CDC for the fact that states, cities, stores, etc. enforce masks and Covid regulations differently. Meghan’s a moron, but Ana knows full well the CDC can only recommend - they have no authority to enforce.  And red states are more lax overall. 

Thank you! That's what I was thinking. The CDC can't tell the states, counties, cities, etc., to follow and adhere to their regulations. This is on ALL of the leaders that are in charge of those places. JeebusFrackin'ChristonaCracker.

The message is Clear. Fauci, Dr. Jha (who Sara, I think it was mentioned) have stated what needs to be done and the CDC has been clear on that. Well, it's clear to me, any way.

If Whoopi can get away with calling the former Iranian president (I think he's former) "I'm a Dinner Jacket", then I can forgive Joy for saying "he" twice, but immediately following up with "she, rather", and then apologizing for the pronoun gaffe.

This is coming from someone whose first name bosses, colleagues, client continue to FUCK UP after I've told them how to pronounce it in terms a 7 year old can understand, and in emails, gently remind them that I'm not a Mr.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Thank you! That's what I was thinking. The CDC can't tell the states, counties, cities, etc., to follow and adhere to their regulations. This is on ALL of the leaders that are in charge of those places. JeebusFrackin'ChristonaCracker.

The message is Clear. Fauci, Dr. Jha (who Sara, I think it was mentioned) have stated what needs to be done and the CDC has been clear on that. Well, it's clear to me, any way.

If Whoopi can get away with calling the former Iranian president (I think he's former) "I'm a Dinner Jacket", then I can forgive Joy for saying "he" twice, but immediately following up with "she, rather", and then apologizing for the pronoun gaffe.

This is coming from someone whose first name bosses, colleagues, client continue to FUCK UP after I've told them how to pronounce it in terms a 7 year old can understand, and in emails, gently remind them that I'm not a Mr.

I really think Joy’s slip up is age related. My mom is an advocate and strives to use pronouns properly.  But, she’s also a senior who knew the name “Bruce Jenner” for decades.  It just comes out. I still have to focus on proper pronouns when discussing CJ before her transition and now. It’s clear, to me a least, that Joy unintentionally misgendered.  I *think* it’s a mistake that would not have occurred if it were a day in which Joy was not a host as well as the moderator. 

• Love 19
2 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

EXACTLY. It was a Freudian slip, if ever there was one.   She started off by referring to Jenner as 'he' and continued with that, and to me that means she doesn't see Jenner as a female.  She's never done that with Laverne Cox on the show - wonder why ?

Can you imagine if it was Meganutz doing this over and over this morning ? I'm sure no one here would be believing her apology, or giving her a pass like some are with Joy.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

he started off by referring to Jenner as 'he' and continued with that,

No, she didn't. Joy said "she" the first couple of times, then mispoke the next two times, and then corrected herself the third time--saying "he, or she, rather", and then did the formal apology.

I read the comments here before watching the show, so paid attention to that segment.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Pearson80 said:

Can't people make any mistakes anymore?  She made a mistake apologized and corrected herself. Jeez... I did the same thing on another board and I too apologized for my gaffe. I am so happy that I am not a celebrity like Joy, she meant no harm with her mistake..

It wasn't once in the short segment - it was four times, as one person counted. 4 times in less than ten minutes.  We expect better from this LGBTQ advocate.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

I really think Joy’s slip up is age related. My mom is an advocate and strives to use pronouns properly.  But, she’s also a senior who knew the name “Bruce Jenner” for decades.  

That's what I believe, too. I don't think Joy was being malicious. I still think "Bruce" sometimes, and I'm over 35 years younger than Joy!

• Love 24

I'm happy to hear that Sunny is now fully vaccinated.  She and Sara made a lot of sense in their responses to the GA mother bitching (she was bitching) about kids wearing masks.  I particularly appreciated Sara pointing out kids can transmit the virus to their loved ones who may be at high risk and she was really spot on when she said she and Max also don't want to have to deal with possible long haul side effects should they become infected.  That's a big effing deal and should be taken very seriously.  Smart couple.

As usual, MeAgain made no sense and her comment that Liberty must think she's the only baby in the world was a hoot.  Something tells me Little Lib is gonna have that center of the universe complex regardless of how many other babies and/or kids she's exposed to.  It's in her genes.  Even though all of the other hosts have stated they've been vaccinated, I find it interesting that MeAgain hasn't said a word after she screamed at the top of her lungs a couple of months ago about wanting the jab. Don't know what to make of that - I wonder if she ended up getting it out of turn and doesn't want to address the particulars.  

• Love 13

It doesn't bother me to see the media highlighting her gaffe. I think she handled herself well, by immediately recognizing her error and apologizing rather than trying to hide it or blame someone else. Everyone's going to have those moments happen to them, it's how you handle it afterwards that affects everyone. Digging your heels in is where things take a turn. I'm not worried because character wins out in the end; viewers know from years on this show that Joy is a LGBT advocate and that shows in how she handled it.

It's not like that other one who has never apologized on the show with her own mouth and even when someone puts a statement out for her it's back to the same racist stuff the very next day. And she's fifty years younger than Joy.

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

It doesn't bother me to see the media highlighting her gaffe. I think she handled herself well, by immediately recognizing her error and apologizing rather than trying to hide it or blame someone else. Everyone's going to have those moments happen to them, it's how you handle it afterwards that affects everyone. Digging your heels in is where things take a turn. I'm not worried because character wins out in the end; viewers know from years on this show that Joy is a LGBT advocate and that shows in how she handled it.

Yes Joy misspoke. It's not like she supports politicians who want to discriminate against LGBTQ.

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
15 minutes ago, Badbea99 said:

I particularly appreciated Sara pointing out kids can transmit the virus to their loved ones who may be at high risk and she was really spot on when she said she and Max also don't want to have to deal with possible long haul side effects should they become infected.  That's a big effing deal and should be taken very seriously.  Smart couple.

I was also happy when Sara mentioned that kids have always part of efforts from the Depression to WW2, so why should this be any different? 

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, Badbea99 said:

I'm happy to hear that Sunny is now fully vaccinated.  She and Sara made a lot of sense in their responses to the GA mother bitching (she was bitching) about kids wearing masks.  I particularly appreciated Sara pointing out kids can transmit the virus to their loved ones who may be at high risk and she was really spot on when she said she and Max also don't want to have to deal with possible long haul side effects should they become infected.  That's a big effing deal and should be taken very seriously.  Smart couple.

As usual, MeAgain made no sense and her comment that Liberty must think she's the only baby in the world was a hoot.  Something tells me Little Lib is gonna have that center of the universe complex regardless of how many other babies and/or kids she's exposed to.  It's in her genes.  Even though all of the other hosts have stated they've been vaccinated, I find it interesting that MeAgain hasn't said a word after she screamed at the top of her lungs a couple of months ago about wanting the jab. Don't know what to make of that - I wonder if she ended up getting it out of turn and doesn't want to address the particulars.  

I noticed Meghan hasn't been whining about getting a vaccine appointment anymore, either.  I've said this before, and I still think that Meghan is one of the group that has vaccine hesitancy or vaccine refusal.  I honestly don't think she's gotten a vaccine, and I don't think she will, unless she is forced to do so by ABC or The View producers so that they can come back to the studio.  

When it was difficult to get an appointment, or when vaccines were being distributed according to age/health factors, she brought it up almost weekly about wanting it.  Now, everyone over the age of 16/18 can get one, and many states are opening it up to walk-ins, Meghan never mentions her wanting it.  Vaccine sites are practically begging people to get vaccinated - and no word from Meghan about getting it, or being scheduled for an appointment. 

But - during the conversation about the confusion between CDC recommendations and state/local jurisdictions mask requirements, etc., Meghan said that Las Vegas was going to open up completely, no masks, etc., in June - so she guesses she'll have to go there to party (or something to that effect).  

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I thought her saying Don Lemon was wrong was rude. Her and Don might see the police shooting in Columbus differently but that doesn't mean he is wrong.  

Exactly, and I get Sunny’s frustration seeing the difference between how black and white people are treated. I think Don does too even if he had a different opinion on this specific shooting. Sunny’s smart but seems to think she’s always right, end of story. No matter how smart she is and how many good points she has, it’s unbecoming. Even if I thought my friend were 100% wrong, I wouldn’t say it like that on national TV. I’m sure she wouldn’t appreciate Don talking about her like that. 

• Love 6