Type keyword(s) to search

Fear Thy Neighbor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What got me was they were each offered to move to another apartment in the same building.  Victor would have gotten a bigger place.  I live in a downstairs condo that I own and for a few years had a noisy upstairs neighbor.  She was a renter who did laundry late in the evening as well as stomped around a lot.  Eventually I was able to get the issue resolved through the owner of the unit but if I was renting I would have just left.  

I don’t think Calvin deserved to be murdered but him jumping someone who he knew had a gun wasn’t a good idea, even without the gun who knows how it would have ended. I guess the cops would have just shown up to break up the fight, only for another one to happen later?  Once the gun made an appearance you knew how this was going to end.  

• Love 4

Victor should have known that when you live in an apartment you just can't be a loud as you want. I wonder if other neighbors didn't say anything because from what I saw, the guy had quite a temper. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"Calvin just pushed him to his limit."

I think Victor had a very low limit. And Calvin did mention that they were both at fault, which I think is true. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 4
On 6/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, Cobb Salad said:

That Santiago was a real piece of work.  I’m perplexed by the one neighbor's statement about how caring a person he is yet he harassed a former neighbor to the point that he was forced to move.  Maybe it was the proximity of the neighbor to him.  How he was able to get away with installing a video system that had cameras pointed at the Seth’s house is pretty infuriating for me to understand.  They didn’t say but I guess they didn’t record the murder?  It was only with the testimony of the neighbor that they got the true story of what happened it seems. 

There was something not quite right about him. I mean all that for a misdelivered package? 

• Love 3

"When you get that many complaints about someone, I mean, there's a problem..."

Pretty much sums it up. All this talk about how the police basically felt like they had to wait until Everton posed a physical threat to someone before they did anything...gee, I bet they wish they hadn't waited so long now! Jesus, that ending was insane and horrifying. Those poor people. And dear god, poor Anthony. What a horrible memory to have to live with. 

Clearly Everton was suffering with some serious mental health issues that nobody was able to help him deal with in the way he deserved, and on that level, I can feel some sympathy and frustration on his behalf. 

But that ending... I agree, surely someone could've and should've stepped in somehow before it got to that level of horror. At the VERY least, somebody should've been able to ensure he never got access to a gun. So many of these stories ending with people shooting up a place....it's so maddening. Enough with the goddamn guns already, people, this is beyond ridiculous. 

• Love 6

The Everton story was just horrible.  Those poor innocent people.  this time it wasn't a case of no one being willing to back down or escalating tit for tat business.  It was a lot of nice neighbors trying to deal with one impossible situation. 

the home owners association is usually just about keeping up lawn care and repairs, this was way out of their depth and even the police couldn't do much without real evidence of a crime.

What we need is something like Child Protective Services for the mentally ill.  Remember when we used to talk about the "men in white coats" who were going to come and take someone away in a straight jacket?  I guess those people went the way of the mental institutions and now there's no one to call when someone is clearly psychotic.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

It was a lot of nice neighbors trying to deal with one impossible situation. 

And two of the people who died had only been there, what'd they say, a week? They had no idea what they were moving into. Pretty easy to see why so many families moved in and out of that neighborhood over the years. 

• Sad 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And two of the people who died had only been there, what'd they say, a week? They had no idea what they were moving into. Pretty easy to see why so many families moved in and out of that neighborhood over the years. 

I think the one guy had only been there about a week and the couple a bit longer than that. 

This was one of the saddest ones I have ever seen. No one did anything to set him off, no fighting between neighbors. Just a guy who needed intense mental help. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I think the one guy had only been there about a week and the couple a bit longer than that. 

This was one of the saddest ones I have ever seen. No one did anything to set him off, no fighting between neighbors. Just a guy who needed intense mental help. 

Especially the part where he’s banging on the door of the one house only to barge in there to kill his neighbors.  I sort of fell asleep during the episode so I’m not sure if I missed anything but it seemed like all those particular neighbors did was just be there and open the door.  This was tragic.  

• Sad 4
14 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Especially the part where he’s banging on the door of the one house only to barge in there to kill his neighbors.  I sort of fell asleep during the episode so I’m not sure if I missed anything but it seemed like all those particular neighbors did was just be there and open the door.  This was tragic.  

If it wasn't them, it would have been another family. 

• Sad 2
  • Love 2

Jesus Christ. This episode. That Ronald creep. What. A. Fucking. Lunatic.

My mom and I were SCREAMING and yelling at the TV by the end of this story. Poor, poor Harper. And her poor friend Laney, too. I can't even begin to imagine...

And all of this because he got all bent out of shape over the family's last name because of its history and his own bitterness over some stupid unresolved insecurities regarding that. I just...I can't even... Wow. Just WOW. 

They talked about how his business struggled because a trainer had drugged a horse, but frankly, given his own violent tendencies, now I'm wondering if he wasn't involved in some of that kind of behavior, too, and that's another reason why things in the horse jockey world didn't work out for him. Would not surprise me in the slightest. 

And the dog situation. Frankly, I felt bad for Roxie, she's a dog, she doesn't know better. Given the kinds of owners she had, it's no wonder she became such an aggressive dog. The couple were idiots, getting all bent out of shape over being asked to keep their dog muzzled and away from other people. That suggestion would've protected Roxie just as much as it would've everyone else. It's not that hard to understand. 

And if he was indeed suffering from depression and the beginnings of dementia, as his wife claimed, then why the FUCK was he allowed to own any guns? WHY? I don't understand. 

Ugh. That was "Lake of Madness" levels of horrifying. 

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And the dog situation. Frankly, I felt bad for Roxie, she's a dog, she doesn't know better. Given the kinds of owners she had, it's no wonder she became such an aggressive dog. The couple were idiots, getting all bent out of shape over being asked to keep their dog muzzled and away from other people. That suggestion would've protected Roxie just as much as it would've everyone else. It's not that hard to understand. 

And if he was indeed suffering from depression and the beginnings of dementia, as his wife claimed, then why the FUCK was he allowed to own any guns? WHY? I don't understand. 

Ugh. That was "Lake of Madness" levels of horrifying. 

I’ve learned through my experience with dog owners that well behaved dogs usually have a nice, respectful (of other people) owner.  This guy was something else.  He didn’t care.   His wife too, with her nonsensical story in court about her dog attacking the neighbors dog while the neighbor is explaining her injuries and 20k medical costs.  If she hadn’t stepped in the little poodle would most certainly have been mauled to death while everyone just stood there.  

At the end when the wife was talking about her husbands mental state and the dementia- if she was the sole caregiver and witnessed his changing behavior, knowing about the guns in the house she must have been just as crazy since her safety was at risk as well.  In her place I would have gotten rid of them.  

At least in this episode law enforcement/animal control was intervening to get the situation resolved.  This guy was too much off his rocker to listen to anyone.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

Not to mention the wife finally had the dog put down the day AFTER everything happened? Too little too late, lady. SMH.

I was wondering if she was afraid of the dog as well.   I’m no dog lover but hearing the dog was put down saddened me.  

• Sad 2
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I was wondering if she was afraid of the dog as well.   I’m no dog lover but hearing the dog was put down saddened me.  

So was I.

On 8/16/2022 at 7:51 PM, JudyObscure said:

The Everton story was just horrible.  Those poor innocent people.  this time it wasn't a case of no one being willing to back down or escalating tit for tat business.  It was a lot of nice neighbors trying to deal with one impossible situation. 

the home owners association is usually just about keeping up lawn care and repairs, this was way out of their depth and even the police couldn't do much without real evidence of a crime.

What we need is something like Child Protective Services for the mentally ill.  Remember when we used to talk about the "men in white coats" who were going to come and take someone away in a straight jacket?  I guess those people went the way of the mental institutions and now there's no one to call when someone is clearly psychotic.

I actually looked up some articles about this case and they all basically said that the system failed both Mr. Brown and his neighbors. What a tragedy, all the way around.

• Love 4

Wow the dog story was so awful.  Poor little Harper and the father seemed like the nicest guy.

Like the older son I was sorry the killer didn't live to sit in prison and think about how he killed two people because they had asked for his insurance information.  He should have already offered to pay the mom's medical bills since his dog caused the injuries, but his insurance probably would have covered it in any case.

I'm sorry the lying wife didn't have to do any time.  She was still being very cavalier about the whole thing even after three people were dead, one of them her husband.  Her biggest worry seemed to be that she would have to call one of her kids and tell them their father was dead.  

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I’ve learned through my experience with dog owners that well behaved dogs usually have a nice, respectful (of other people) owner. 

Exactly. I never fault the dog, or any other animal, in an animal attack case. I always focus on what the owners or any other humans in the area must've done to trigger them. For an animal to do something like that they were either trained to react that way, as this one clearly was, or something or someone spooked them hard, to where they lashed out. 

It was odd that the couple went from the tiny little poodle to that big dog. I mean, yeah, people can like all kinds of breeds and whatnot, but in this case, I can't help feeling like their choosing that dog was intentional, as a way to further antagonize the family. Especially on the husband's part. 

27 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Like the older son I was sorry the killer didn't live to sit in prison and think about how he killed two people because they had asked for his insurance information.  He should have already offered to pay the mom's medical bills since his dog caused the injuries, but his insurance probably would have covered it in any case.

I'm sorry the lying wife didn't have to do any time.  She was still being very cavalier about the whole thing even after three people were dead, one of them her husband.  Her biggest worry seemed to be that she would have to call one of her kids and tell them their father was dead.  

Yeah, I mean, even her attempt to try and "apologize", as it were, to Monique after the dog attack turned out to not be all that sincere. She was clearly trying to find anything she could grasp at to try and excuse or explain away her husband's actions. Except that one of his victims was an eleven year old girl, so, y'know, hard to have a whole lot of sympathy for him at that point, whatever the reason. 

Regarding the whole thing of him sitting in prison, that was another thing about the ending that disturbed me greatly. He's already killed this little girl and her father in their home...and then he commits suicide in the girl's bedroom. Just something about choosing to end his life there that just makes it all the creepier to me. 

My heart broke for Monique when they played clips of her 911 call, and you heard her reaction when the gunshots started. You could tell just how helpless she felt. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7

I was reading about the Hansom case in it's local paper.  They had a picture of the actual dog at the humane center and said it was an "Italian Mastiff" another name for the Cane Corso.  This is a breed banned in several countries because it was bred for hunting large game and can be very aggressive.

I watch the Westminster Dog Show every year and since this is the show run by the American Kennel Club it is controlled by the breeders who want to sell their dogs.  So they all sound great, but I've learned to read between the lines when they say a dog "isn't for everyone" "needs a determined owner," etc. 

The AKC breed standard description for Cane Corso says, "It is subject to a working trial: in order to qualify for registration, dogs must show tranquility in the presence of inoffensive strangers,"  Roxie clearly did not show tranquility when he was being walked and one of the random neighbors walked up.  The articles also hint that the dog is dangerous around children, even in it's own family.

I used to think that only bad owners caused bad dogs, and I'm sure this particular demented old gun toting man was a bad owner, but I've become convinced over the years that even good kind owners can have trouble with certain breeds due to their genetic makeup after years of breeding for a certain purpose.

There has to be some reason that certain breeds like Pit Bulls and Rottweilers top lists of dog fatalities year after year while other breeds, like hound dogs, only show up on the list  in rare cases even though they're very popular among the sort of people who tie them out back and whip them daily just for barking. 

I am a huge dog lover, but I'm not sorry Roxie got put down, if he had done to a child what he did to this woman the child would be dead.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/24/2022 at 6:00 AM, JudyObscure said:

I was reading about the Hansom case in it's local paper.  They had a picture of the actual dog at the humane center and said it was an "Italian Mastiff" another name for the Cane Corso.  This is a breed banned in several countries because it was bred for hunting large game and can be very aggressive.

I watch the Westminster Dog Show every year and since this is the show run by the American Kennel Club it is controlled by the breeders who want to sell their dogs.  So they all sound great, but I've learned to read between the lines when they say a dog "isn't for everyone" "needs a determined owner," etc. 

The AKC breed standard description for Cane Corso says, "It is subject to a working trial: in order to qualify for registration, dogs must show tranquility in the presence of inoffensive strangers,"  Roxie clearly did not show tranquility when he was being walked and one of the random neighbors walked up.  The articles also hint that the dog is dangerous around children, even in it's own family.

I used to think that only bad owners caused bad dogs, and I'm sure this particular demented old gun toting man was a bad owner, but I've become convinced over the years that even good kind owners can have trouble with certain breeds due to their genetic makeup after years of breeding for a certain purpose.

There has to be some reason that certain breeds like Pit Bulls and Rottweilers top lists of dog fatalities year after year while other breeds, like hound dogs, only show up on the list  in rare cases even though they're very popular among the sort of people who tie them out back and whip them daily just for barking. 

I am a huge dog lover, but I'm not sorry Roxie got put down, if he had done to a child what he did to this woman the child would be dead.

I was surprised the dog wasn't  put down after that attack alone. I know someone who's dig attacked another dog and a child and it was out down right away. I love animals but would have insisted on that or they should never have gotten the dog back. 

This was just a real disturbing case. An 11 year old child was killed! I would have sued the wife. 

• Love 4

Georgianna, you need to find someone who isn’t foolhardy like Tony and who avoids trouble instead of causing it. He was not thinking about the safety if his fiancé or her children.   His running feud with Bob was ridiculous and caused his death in the end.  So, why did police and jury believe Georgiana when she said Bob was not injured when she ran to the scene the first time?  She was focused on her boyfriend, stayed for a second and he had on a hat.  Maybe she didn’t see it.  Plus, who’s to say that she didn’t lie about it?  It’s sad the elder couple had to live their final years in misery.  

Why people can’t learn this lesson, I don’t know……imo, whenever you purchase a home or sign a lease, you must first watch at least one season of Fear Thy Neighbor and pass a quiz about it.  Lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Applause 2

Bruce: "Oh, just ignore Ed and he'll go away."

Also Bruce: Fights with Ed, assaults him, offers to bring him burgers even after seeing him wave a gun around... 

Me, watching this: ??????

Seriously, I get that you might think a guy's just blustering and being a blowhard and all that, but come on, when it gets to the point where they're literally waving a gun around, I don't care whether you think he'd actually use it or not. Take that shit seriously. Especially given a) he was already seriously pissed off at Ed for the creepy comments he made about his wife and daughter, and b) he had guests over, people who weren't familiar with Ed or the history of tension between him and Bruce. They were fortunate to not get caught up in the deadly back and forth.

Hell, even if he didn't think Ed would intentionally use the gun, the guy was drunk and babbling nonsense. He could've just as easily accidentally shot someone. 

But wow. Yeah. Real pieces of work, Ed and Helen. A guy who seemed to like to antagonize people for the hell of it, and a woman who really needed to mind her own business and find something else to do with her day. What a horrible way for Bruce's family to learn of what had happened to him :(. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Hell, even if he didn't think Ed would intentionally use the gun, the guy was drunk and babbling nonsense. He could've just as easily accidentally shot someone. 

But wow. Yeah. Real pieces of work, Ed and Helen. A guy who seemed to like to antagonize people for the hell of it, and a woman who really needed to mind her own business and find something else to do with her day. What a horrible way for Bruce's family to learn of what had happened to him :(. 

When the gun made its appearance I was certain Bruce was a goner.  I was also worried for his guests even though they were telling their part of the story.  I don’t think they mentioned Ed’s age - just that he was forced to retire so I guess he was in his 60s?  With that prison term he got I guess that pretty much equates with getting a life sentence.  Serves him right.  The way that woman Helen was described it sounds like she’d be trouble with neighbors on her own without someone like an Ed around.  She was probably the one who broke the lawn mower like the show said.  Another reason why it’s not a good idea to loan things to people sometimes, lol. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

When the gun made its appearance I was certain Bruce was a goner.  I was also worried for his guests even though they were telling their part of the story.

Yes, Bruce should have had the ladies  scuttling inside the minute that gun came out.  Even without the gun they shouldn't have had to hear Ed making his sleazy remarks about strippers.

Helen also seemed obsessed with sex. "Who're you trying to pick up in that outfit?" is a really strange thing to say to a woman watering plants in her own backyard.  I think Helen thought she was Ed's wife in some alternative dimension. 

I'm starting to notice the patterns.  Men are dangerous when they:

Lose their jobs.

Drink all day.

Own a gun.

Don't have a wife or girlfriend in the house.

Think the neighbor's wife or girlfriend is pretty.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I just watched it last night on demand. I was wondering why in God's name did Bruce go over there with food for Ed? It made me wonder if he went there to taunt/tease him or was it really a "peace offering"? And that Helen! WTH was up with her? I agree, I bet she broke the mower. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Bruce go over there with food for Ed? It made me wonder if he went there to taunt/tease him or was it really a "peace offering"?

i've been wondering about that, too.  God help us all from men who learn how to cook one thing and can't get over themselves. 

First and foremost he was showing off for the women and would rather have them in the line of fire than miss watching him make his wonderful burgers and then he had the idea that he was going to be a legend in both grilling and peacemaking if he soothed Ed's fury with his burgers.   Bless his heart, he didn't deserve any of what happened, but boy was he foolish.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

This one was just frustrating and sad. On the one hand, I genuinely felt bad for Ricard, because it was clear the guy had serious mental issues and needed a LOT of help. I mean, when you're to the point where you're still residing in your condemned home and scrounging to use basic necessities, that says a lot right there. It's beyond frustrating that there didn't seem to be much, if anything, that the town could do to properly help him the way he deserved.

On the other hand, it was clear he was increasingly posing a bigger and bigger threat to people over time*, and he really should've been held responsible for the threats he made to his neighbors, and the attack on his one neighbor. Even if the guy did have a history with diabetes that contributed to his death, ,being kicked about the head and body certainly would've exacerbated his already fragile health issues. It's ridiculous that he kept getting cleared of all the charges he faced. Maybe the judge and the jury in both trials saw that his actions were due to mental illness and thus that's why they ruled as they did, which, okay, fair, but even then, there still should've been some recommendation or sentence that allowed him to be sent to a mental health facility or something, at the very least. 

*That said, yes, Ricard should've definitely been held accountable for trying to run someone off the road as he did. But at the same time, people? If you know he's this volatile and dangerous, do not engage with him. If he didn't listen before when people told him to stop doing what he did, he sure as hell isn't going to listen now. 

But it all wound up being moot in the end anyway, because he's dead now, so... But yeah. Just a sad story the whole way around. That poor couple, too - what a tragic way for their lives, both together and separately, to end. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

*That said, yes, Ricard should've definitely been held accountable for trying to run someone off the road as he did. But at the same time, people? If you know he's this volatile and dangerous, do not engage with him. If he didn't listen before when people told him to stop doing what he did, he sure as hell isn't going to listen now. 

Yeah, watching the scene with the younger guy (married to the granddaughter I think?) and the wrapper thrown at him - why didn’t he just ignore him and go about his business.  That big truck made Richard an out of control bully. 

• Love 3

Most of the time, I watch the stories shared on this show and I think everyone involved acted like morons. 

And then, every so often, there's episodes like this, where one person and one person alone is responsible for all the insanity that unfolds. And boy, was that made abundantly clear here. Good lord, what the FUCK was this Jason guy's problem? 

And yet again, we have another episode where the police prove themselves to be completely useless. I do not get what the hell it has to take for the police to act in these cases. What is the community paying them for if not to, y'know, protect the citizens? Surely after, like, the third, fourth, fifth time they get called out to this neighborhood, that should be more than enough reason to finally slap the cuffs on Jason and hold him criminally responsible for the crap he pulled. When numerous people are making the same reports about one guy, that should probably tell them something. 

I also love how the girl with the puppies got a noise complaint filed against her because her puppies dared to behave like puppies do and bark perhaps a little too loudly. Meanwhile, this nutjob can practically blind his neighbors with lights, play their perosnal messages on a loudspeaker, mess with a woman's dog, poison people's pets and destroy their property, stalk his neighbors (that thing with the phone was just...yeesh), cause further vandalism at the church near his new home, and beat a guy almost to death, and....nothing, for way too long. He got a restraining order, because we all know he'll TOTALLY be the sort to follow those, and had to move out of the neighborhood. Okay. Sure. That clearly did a lot to stop him. 

Thank goodness the neighbors all banded together to FINALLY get the justice they deserved and put him away for a good, long while. They're very lucky to still be alive. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Thank goodness the neighbors all banded together to FINALLY get the justice they deserved and put him away for a good, long while. They're very lucky to still be alive. 

Watching this show all the time I wonder which one is going to die and who is the murderer.  At least this time no one died but unfortunately the dogs did.  I agree that guy was a mental case and thankfully the neighbors were able to get rid of him.  The guy wins in court despite the neighbors testimony against him and he starts a war with her?  Huh?  He should have just been celebrating his victory and move on.  

About the part where the local church gave him shelter I wasn’t sure what to think - didn’t they check him out or were they so kind hearted to help anyone out, how naive were they.  I’m guessing if there’s a next time they’re going to be more cautious.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

The guy wins in court despite the neighbors testimony against him and he starts a war with her?  Huh?  He should have just been celebrating his victory and move on.  

Right? Unfortunately all he got from those slaps on the wrist was the idea that he was untouchable and could do whatever the hell he wanted. I shudder to think of what he was planning to do with all those weapons they found in the home. I would not have been one bit surprised if his plans didn't end with killing his neighbors. 

About the part where the local church gave him shelter I wasn’t sure what to think - didn’t they check him out or were they so kind hearted to help anyone out, how naive were they.  I’m guessing if there’s a next time they’re going to be more cautious.  

I thought the same thing. I hear that all the time from people like them, how they just wanted to be nice and help someone out, and hey, on a general level that's great and I fully support that and all that good stuff...

...but yeah, all I could think during that bit was, "Okay, I haven't been to church since I was, like, a teenager, and I'm no Bible expert, but aren't there a bunch of passages in there about how one needs to watch out for and not be fooled by the devil?" Might not have hurt them to reread those sections a few times. I could see Jason's neighbors having been fooled by him at first, given how he long seemed like a chill guy (though even then, I feel like if they were to look back, there were probably warning signs lurking even then, but by the time he was living at the church, given all the things he'd done up to that point, I would have a very hard time believing he wasn't giving off some creepy vibes to the church people from the get-go. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"Okay, I haven't been to church since I was, like, a teenager, and I'm no Bible expert, but aren't there a bunch of passages in there about how one needs to watch out for and not be fooled by the devil?" 

Those passages are basically warning people not to be tempted into sin by the devil, like don't let some guy tell you it's okay to cheat on your husband because he wont know so it wont hurt him.

I don't think it ever means we should look for the devil in someone before helping them, that would be judging them. No one stands at the door of the soup kitchen and checks the people  for signs of sinfulness.

There are at least 24 passages that say we should help the needy -- no questions asked. 

There's even a few about welcoming strangers into our homes, which I know I could never do.

Those church women did nothing to be ashamed of.  The shame is all on Jason for taking advantage of them.

I had a friend for a while who was a pastor's wife.  I watched sketchy people take advantage of her over and over, but she told me one time that her husband said it didn't matter whether the people she helped were deserving poor or con artists, it was the act of charity itself that was pleasing to God.

Proverbs 19:17

"Those who are gracious to the poor lend to the Lord, and the Lord will fully repay them."

She, and those church ladies who helped Jason, will be breezing through Heaven's gates while I'm left behind rolling my eyes at their gullibility. LOL

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

She, and those church ladies who helped Jason, will be breezing through Heaven's gates while I'm left behind rolling my eyes at their gullibility. LOL

So will I.  I’ve learned through both observation and experience that the person who is in dire straits and needs help may be because they’ve brought it upon themselves so helping them may hurt me.  Then maybe I’ve watched too many of these shows on ID 😆

• Love 5

Dear god. Poor Ron. He was so, so, SO close to escaping this madness once and for all...

Gee, yeah, Lance, it's a REAL mystery why you got fired from your job, you absolute psychopath. What on earth was his deal? What kind of record did he have? 

I don't buy that Lorraine didn't know anything about Lance's plans, or his attempts to attack Ron. I just don't. She stirred the pot way too much. And to think, this all started because he dared to suggest that hey, maybe she shouldn't smoke in his car. It's his car, lady, he's allowed to kick you out if you're smoking in his space. And hell, alongside the fact the smoke isn't good for his lupus, or just in general...YOU HAVE CANCER, WOMAN. PUT DOWN THE DAMN CIGARETTE. 

I don't know if Lance and Lorraine were lovers, but I definitely think it's clear they were feeding off each other somehow and getting something out of their relationship, whatever it was. Lorraine got to use him for her own personal needs and wants, and basically as her bodyguard, and perhaps he got some kind of financial benefit from helping his landlord out so much. My mom was thinking that he was secretly waiting for her to die so he could collect whatever money she got, but considering their unusually close, dependant relationship...who knows. I was thinking his anger towards Ron would be due to him feeling replaced, as it were, once he came back and saw Ron taking on his role. 

But no. Seems he's just a flat out nutjob and that's all there is to it. 

• Love 3

When someone is helping you out of kindness and they ask you to put out that cigarette you do it because they may not help you again.  Smokers (if they are considerate of others) usually ask if you mind if they smoke.  Not everyone wants to breathe in that nasty smoke.   Ron was too nice of a person and it’s awful that he found himself amongst such nasty people.  That woman Laray (sp?) was a piece of work.  It’s interesting that the show was unable to find her present whereabouts - she’s probably taken advantage of several other people’s kindness in the years since.  

At least this time the police appeared to be more helpful but how did they find Lance so quickly after Ron was murdered when they couldn’t find him the other times? I’m glad the sentence Lance got was pretty stiff so he’ll be away for a while.  

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Smokers (if they are considerate of others) usually ask if you mind if they smoke.  Not everyone wants to breathe in that nasty smoke. 

This. I've known a lot of people who've smoked and they've always gone out of their way to be respectful when it comes to smoking in front of me or other non-smokers. Hell, even when they're in their own homes or cars they still try to be as careful and respectful as possible about that stuff, which, given it's their space, they don't have to do that. But they still do so anyway for any non-smokers who are around them, because it's just basic decency. 

At least this time the police appeared to be more helpful but how did they find Lance so quickly after Ron was murdered when they couldn’t find him the other times?

I wondered about that, too. It's great they found him this time, but it was too little, too late. Maybe if they'd managed to track him down one of the other times he'd escaped, Ron might still be alive. 

I was afraid Lance would die in the car crash and he'd never be able to face the proper justice he deserved. Thank goodness that didn't happen. 

• Love 4

Oh gosh I hate that LaRay so much!  What a user.! First she's got mentally ill Lance wrapped around her finger because he's never had a mother or something, but she has to have Ron as second string servant, too. 

Ron was so fragile he could barely stand and she feels free to ask him to haul stuff up the stairs for her and drive her to her chemo  all on her terms!  (Lots of insurance pays for cabs to and from the hospital.)

I have had lots of experience with women like her.  My husband and I lived in a five story apartment building in D. C. for several years and  all the single women in the building seemed to think my husband was there for their pleasure.  He's tall, but he's not particularly strong. He has the long thin back of many tall men that's more prone to strains than the back of a shorter stockier man.

The women in our building had no hesitation at all to flutter their lashes and asking him to carry stuff upstairs for them, or move their furniture, or buy them their cigarettes at the base commissary, or kill the mouse in their filthy apartment.  Lot's of times they would ask me, "Could I borrow your husband for a few minutes?"  Like that was so cute.  I would grit my teeth and say, "You'd better ask him." 

The thing was I never once asked him to do those sort of things.  If I bought a TV, or new mattress, I would pay the extra thirty dollars to have it delivered and set up.

LaRay was one of those women times ten and then to sic that monster on Ron because she didn't get to smoke in his car?  You know Lance would never have known Ron's movements if she wasn't telling him.  She's as guilty of murder as anyone who hires a hitman.  I can't stand it that she's out free somewhere, playing her pity card and using all her neighbors as servants.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I can't stand it that she's out free somewhere, playing her pity card and using all her neighbors as servants.

The show talked about Ron’s challenge in finding new subsidized housing and being lucky to find another place again so soon.  Since LaRay probably had the same kind of arrangement with the same challenges I wonder if she’s still around anywhere since the show wasn’t able to find her….unless she was able to con someone into letter her move in with them and not be on the lease or whatever.  

I agree, she’s just as responsible for Ron’s murder as Lance is.  Too bad they weren’t able to charge her with anything.  

• Love 5
On 8/23/2022 at 8:43 AM, Cobb Salad said:

I’ve learned through my experience with dog owners that well behaved dogs usually have a nice, respectful (of other people) owner.  This guy was something else.  He didn’t care.   His wife too, with her nonsensical story in court about her dog attacking the neighbors dog while the neighbor is explaining her injuries and 20k medical costs.  If she hadn’t stepped in the little poodle would most certainly have been mauled to death while everyone just stood there.  

At the end when the wife was talking about her husbands mental state and the dementia- if she was the sole caregiver and witnessed his changing behavior, knowing about the guns in the house she must have been just as crazy since her safety was at risk as well.  In her place I would have gotten rid of them.  

At least in this episode law enforcement/animal control was intervening to get the situation resolved.  This guy was too much off his rocker to listen to anyone.

I’ve noticed that the last several cases in my state in the news, where a mentally ill person in crisis has shot a police officer, themselves or a family member, the person was living in the home of a family member who kept a firearm in the house!  They know the person living with them suffers with paranoia and schizophrenia, but they keep a loaded gun in the house….then call 911 to help when the person has a crisis.  I don’t understand it.  It should be criminal, imo.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

Good lord. No wonder this one lasted two hours. 

I love, absolutely LOVE, that this asshole's own surveillance cameras and alarms wound up being his undoing. Even more remarkable that there was still evidence of him dismantling the alarms from the night of the first fire for the investigators to use. That's karma coming for ya, you absolute moron. To say nothing of how he basically told on himself every time he started up with that fire and brimstone bullshit. If you don't want people to suspect you of setting fires, maybe shut up with the blathering on about them, no? That "holier than thou" attitude will be one's downfall every single time. 

Very telling, too, that his fires had a pattern. First he sets fire to a vehicle, likely in the hopes of scaring the neighbors away, and when that doesn't work*, he goes for the jugular and takes out their home, and them in the process. That entire family being taken out as they were....utterly heartbreaking. He took out children. I'm really disturbed, too, by just how many stories on this show seem to involve one family member being the sole survivor of these kinds of tragedies. 

The Higgins showing forgiveness for Stanley, though...they have far more compassion and grace than I would if I were in their shoes, I'll say that much. If Stanley's as big a believer in his religious views as he claims, let's just say I sense he's not going to be happy with where he ends up when his time comes. 

*Seriously, the family was going to be moving away soon. Had he just chilled the fuck out and waited a few more days/weeks/months, there would've been no problem. 

As for Angela's ex, really speaks to just how disturbed he is that he was willing to take credit for the fire that killed his wife and family. The poor woman - she finally manages to escape an abusive relationship only to meet a whole other tragic fate. That's just cruel.

• Sad 1
  • Love 2
On 6/13/2022 at 10:08 PM, Annber03 said:

Hoo boy, tonight's episode. I'm with Olivia's mom, the police really dropped the ball here. They should've checked to see if James had any guns in the house, and once they found them, they should've removed all the weapons from the home. And then they should've taken him to the drunk tank or someplace to sleep off his heavy drinking, and they should've ensured he didn't get his weapons back, nor be able to get his hands on any other ones. "I'm going to be in the newspapers tomorrow" - that's not a typical comment one makes when the police come to resolve a dispute. And the police knew that. The audio recording clearly shows they know exactly what kinds of threats he's making. 

So yeah. They definitely could've and should've been doing more. 

Also creepy the way he said he wasn't going to shoot Braeden. 

I just saw this one for the first time last night. I cannot believe the police didn't take his threats seriously, especially as he was drunk. They could have brought him in for something. 

I read that the mom sued but did not win. I'm still seeing if anything else came up on it. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I just saw this one for the first time last night. I cannot believe the police didn't take his threats seriously, especially as he was drunk. They could have brought him in for something. 

I read that the mom sued but did not win. I'm still seeing if anything else came up on it. 

I watched it for the 2nd time last night.  Even though the mother lost her lawsuit I hope at least the police take threats like the one in this episode more seriously and at least ask if there are guns around, but then I’m wondering if that in their mind would be going past the response that it is a “civil issue”.  

Last nights episode - that guy was a real piece of work, and that’s saying a lot considering the types that are profiled on this show.  At least someone had the presence of mind to record this guy walking around during the day or I wonder if they would have ever been able to prove he was the one setting the fires.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Last nights episode - that guy was a real piece of work, and that’s saying a lot considering the types that are profiled on this show.  At least someone had the presence of mind to record this guy walking around during the day or I wonder if they would have ever been able to prove he was the one setting the fires.  

I agree - he definitely deserves serious consideration as the most evil perpetrator this show has ever profiled, and that does say a lot. He knew there were little children in that house...and then to hug and offer sympathy to the oldest child, who was out of town working when the fire was set. That is pure evil.

I am in the Cleveland area, and this happened in the Akron area. The case had just gone to trial in March 2020, and then the pandemic hit. After the delays, the verdict was finally handed down in October 2021.

Now is this the season finale, or series finale? If it is the latter, what a case to end on.

• Love 4

I wish they had interviewed Stanley's pastor.  How was it that Stanley went ostentatiously to church every Sunday, yet was so clueless about the basics?  Most importantly, "Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord." Didn't he notice that it was God and not Lot who rained fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah.  Lot was just told to hightail it out of there. Christians are supposed to refrain from  judging others and let God take care of the justice part. 

Also Stanley, you are not and never will be an angel.  Angels aren't humans who were good they are a completely different specie.

Now the Huggins family, particularly the brother, Durand, were the best examples of real Christians I've ever seen.  Durand was a good narrator, too.  What a final episode.

• Love 5