Type keyword(s) to search

All That Glitters: Britain's Next Jewellery Star - General Discussion

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, GaT said:

Good to see the show back, but I have no memory of the judge that was replaced.

I was surprised by the winner, but not by the person who was eliminated.

I remember the previous female judge being pretty dour, but don't remember much else. I like the new woman, she's knowledgeable but supportive and nice. I do not like Katherine at all, something about her overall affect just bugs me.

I agreed with the "bespoke" choice, that was also my favorite of the bunch. I liked several of the "best sellers," too. Overall, not a bad start. 

I couldn't understand what the hairpins would look like until they made them. I thought they were all beautiful

I'm not surprised by who was eliminated, but I was surprised when Katherine said the judges took into consideration all of the challenges so far. Has it always been like that & I just missed it? Normally these shows only count those specific challenges, so anyone who has a bad day could end up being eliminated even if they won everyone other challenge. I like counting them all better.

• Love 1

Am I the only one still watching? 

I don't know if it's just the time constraints, but I'm not all that impressed with the work everyone has been doing. I didn't like a single pearl necklace, & none of the the charms looked well made to me.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, GaT said:

Am I the only one still watching? 

I don't know if it's just the time constraints, but I'm not all that impressed with the work everyone has been doing. I didn't like a single pearl necklace, & none of the the charms looked well made to me.

I'm still watching, and I liked a couple of the necklace ideas but the time constraints seem to be an issue for decent execution. Most of the charms were awful, and the one chosen really benefited from Katherine's suggestion.

• Love 2

None of the broches seemed like refined statement pieces, and I hate ear cuffs, so it is hard for me to judge. The tik tok kid seemed to love the one he picked, so I will take his word for it that it will look "cool". Last episode, none of the charms really moved me like they should have, given the backstory.

I do like Piers and he seems to be a frontrunner. Jack was up there for a while, but that broche! OMG, it had nails sticking out of it! How many sleeves would that end up destroying, not to mentioned scratching up ones arms. That was insane. 

Even though we are down to a few, I still can only remember the two guys names. I kept calling the one who just went home "Fleabag" cuz she kind of reminded me of her!

• LOL 1

I liked Bonnie's (?) pearl necklace, but very few other things. It doesn't help that Katherine wears quite nice jewellery that makes the jewelers' output look a bit crafty in comparison.
We did Sepia casting in school. I think there is even a brief glimpse of it in LOTR. Its quite versatile, but the pieces need a good polishing.

I wonder why the Pottery Throwdown works so well, but All That Glitters struggles to draw me in. I miss the Great Allotment Challenge, and the Painting Challenge. At least the second season of the woodworking show with Mel just started again.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Aulty said:

I miss the Great Allotment Challenge

I loved that show, I wish it was still on.

I'm just not feeling the jewelry this season, I haven't seen a single thing that made me go WOW. Next weeks the final, it felt like a pretty short season.

15 hours ago, Aulty said:

I wonder why the Pottery Throwdown works so well, but All That Glitters struggles to draw me in. 

That's a really good question, I love the Pottery Throwdown too, & am always impressed by the work the potters do. I just don't seem to feel the same about the jewelers. 

Hmm, I thought Piers did the best in the semi-final, but Jack seems to be the golden boy. Piers' earrings were gorgeous, while Jack's had that big clunky clasp that I think would get caught in long hair and some collars. 

In the bespoke, I didn't feel like we got a really good look at them, but I thought Piers' was sparklier. Obviously, the client liked Jack's better. I hope Piers pulls out the win next week. The other jewelers haven't really even registered with me.  

I like this show well enough, but maybe it isn't as engaging as other shows because, unlike painting or pottery or other arts, the making process itself is rather confined and small. It's hard to tell exactly what is going on. I just recently tracked down and loved The Big Painting Challenge. Loved Pascal! (Rowr!) I will have to try to find the Allotment Challenge! 

• Love 1

YAY! I'm so glad my pick finally won something! I did think Piers necklace was beautiful, and I liked his ring, too. So glad the judges asserted themselves and picked the best jeweler instead of just going with whomever Shirley Ballas picked! I do think Piers did the best work overall. 

• Love 2

Shirley picked the bold necklace that was bound to show up well on camera, but I preferred the others tbh. They looked well made.
Something about this show needs to be tweaked. Katherine and the male jude are good TV material but I really struggle to connect with the show. Jewellery making is very specific and expensive, and not something that you can just have a go at, unlike sewing or baking or make up. Project Runway had a Project Accessories spin-off, that only got 1 season.  I don't know why it works with pottery and I am curious about the hair show that starts on Monday.

Can any of youse think about another craft that would work in this format?

• Love 2

I loved the couple seasons of that show "Home Is Where The Art Is" that had 3 artists make a piece of any kind for someone to pick from for their home. That featured all kinds of art from painting to mosaic to sculpting, etc. I'm a writer, so my art will never be a show, but I will pretty much watch creative people do anything! Will definitely check out the hair show if I can. I did enjoy "The Cut Brazil." 

39 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I loved the couple seasons of that show "Home Is Where The Art Is" that had 3 artists make a piece of any kind for someone to pick from for their home. That featured all kinds of art from painting to mosaic to sculpting, etc.

I remember that, it was a good show, but rather slowly paced. It is currently on repeat on BBC Two. I never understood the guy with the abstract art, who used the toxic paints in his custom made studio.
There was a good show called 'Art School' in the mid 00s that focused on teaching the contestants the techniques and a critical eye.

• Love 1

Tamara from season 1 of All that Glitters showed up in episode 2 of a new show - "The Saved and Remade Workshop." The show itself is an interesting contrast to the Repair Shop, because people's objects are transformed into new things rather than being repaired.

• Useful 2