Type keyword(s) to search

Bargain Block - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I may not love all of their ideas (twig headboard), but there’s something to admire in all of their renovations. The reason this show and Home Town are my two favorites are because the hosts of those shows are 1) creative, 2) don’t follow the same old HGTV boring game plan of white and gray, 3) Erin and Keith both come from art backgrounds that help form their design choices, and 4) the renovations are more budget friendly and altruistic as they try to rejuvenate their communities.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

...and where they show the Eastern Market.  

Gosh, I loved seeing the market!  I was born and raised in Royal Oak and a trip to the market was our Saturday morning routine for most of my life.  I also had a friend who owned a greenhouse so I helped out at holidays to sell flowers there.  It's an amazing place.

• Like 3

Yay, Eastern Market! I grew up in Detroit suburbs (we moved when I was 5 because the Big Ditch--expressway--was being dug at the end of our block) and moved away 30 years ago. I love that these guys are helping reclaim neighborhoods. I've gotten over Keith's artistic extras, or maybe they're not as weird (*cough* dust catchers *cough*) as they were in earlier episodes.

• Like 1

They said the over the top design, and the offer to include the furniture (in most houses, not all) is to get the appraised value up.   If there isn't a comp with a good price nearby, then they wouldn't get a decent appraisal price, and wouldn't make any money. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They said the over the top design, and the offer to include the furniture (in most houses, not all) is to get the appraised value up. 

Oh yeah, but if I've learned one thing from HGTV, and realtors in general, over-the-top design limits rather than expands the number of potential buyers. But, I suppose, not a problem if it's the hook of a TV series or if a buyer is handy. Paint is cheap. Dustcatchers can be disposed of. 😉

The biggest issue is if they don't get a good appraisal, then the house won't sell for a profit.   That's one reason they love to buy in the same area, because they have their own comp houses they've remodeled.   Once one appraises and sells, they now have a comp for the others they redo.      With the prices of the houses, I bet they have a decent buyer pool, for the finished houses.    HOwever, I'm betting a lot have changes after they sell, to fit the new homeowner's taste.    I think some, like the music producer's house, were done to her taste, and she was already trying to buy it.   From what the men said, the buying process in Detroit is tricky.

• Like 1

I had no idea this show existed until I was scrolling tv on my vacation, I saw a few episodes and I really like it! What a great thing they are doing for these communities in Detroit and they are so creative. But I did have to laugh at their “country cottage” and I said to the screen “that’s not going to fly in Detroit!”😃

• Like 2
On 3/12/2023 at 10:01 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I had no idea this show existed until I was scrolling tv on my vacation, I saw a few episodes and I really like it! What a great thing they are doing for these communities in Detroit and they are so creative. But I did have to laugh at their “country cottage” and I said to the screen “that’s not going to fly in Detroit!”😃

Welcome Scarlett45! Have watched from beginning and love the dynamic between Keith and Evan. They are so cute together and even each other out. Love that they are making homes affordable in neighborhoods that need it. Read some backlash about some saying they are "White saviors", but I just think they are two creative men making a fun TV show and helping a community. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Some behind the scenes info on the problems the buyers face with financing. Again (I feel like a broken record, sorry), I really wish stuff like this would get discussed more on the show. It's a part of the story they're telling. Just fixing up the houses and seeing them at affordable prices isn't going to help if the rest of the system is stopping people from closing. I'm glad they recognized the issue and are doing something to help by partnering with the credit union. And I hope we get to see some of that whenever season 3 starts.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, akg said:

Some behind the scenes info on the problems the buyers face with financing. Again (I feel like a broken record, sorry), I really wish stuff like this would get discussed more on the show. 

Interesting (and sad) information, thanks akg for the link. Glad the credit union is trying to help locals get first homes. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, akg said:

Some behind the scenes info on the problems the buyers face with financing.

It's this type of travesty that makes my blood boil when I watch House Hunters.  Entitled, spoiled brats that demand three or four thousand square feet with the latest appliances, granite and marble, enormous bathrooms, "bonus rooms",for the 10,000 toys owned by their spoiled brat kids,  and call homse bullt in the 1900s "gut jobs".  I'd like to smack them all upside the head.

People working at minimum wage jobs deserve to build equity in homes.  But they need lenders to step up and who are willing to back those less fortunate but deserving folks.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Orcinus orca said:

they need lenders to step up and who are willing to back those less fortunate but deserving folks.

I agree. That's one of the reasons I'm so frustrated that Bargain Block doesn't discuss any of the issues their buyers face (although maybe the partnership with the credit union will come up in season 3?). I'm not sure what the timing is between filming, airing, and finalizing a sale so including follow up may not be possible but they could maybe do a recap show about the previous season.

• Like 3

They discussed the issue with long closings, but I don't remember when.   I know the record producer (?) who bought the Detroit house, had to wait for several months to close.    She may have been self-employed, so that's often harder to get financing.     From what Shea and the men have said, they have the option to buy the furniture and staging, because that helps with the appraisals.   The more expensive looking the first house in a neighborhood is, the better.   The first house selling for a good price means the appraisers have a solid, sold comp to price other homes the men redo. 

On 7/15/2023 at 8:26 PM, akg said:

Some behind the scenes info on the problems the buyers face with financing. Again (I feel like a broken record, sorry), I really wish stuff like this would get discussed more on the show. It's a part of the story they're telling. Just fixing up the houses and seeing them at affordable prices isn't going to help if the rest of the system is stopping people from closing. I'm glad they recognized the issue and are doing something to help by partnering with the credit union. And I hope we get to see some of that whenever season 3 starts.

Thank you for sharing this. 

Yes- lower income people deserve to be able to own homes and build communities in ways that home ownership allows. These homes are NOT expensive. If buyers are making rent payments that are more than the mortgage, and have steady employment why wouldn’t they qualify??? 😒 Is it better for these neighborhoods to sit empty??

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Is it better for these neighborhoods to sit empty??

From what I've read elsewhere, the problem is profit (of course). A bank would rather spend their time on a loan for a more expensive house/condo/whatever than on a $100K sale where they're not going to make much money (plus, I'm sure there's some racism there too).

There was a woman in season one who basically had the house designed for her and had to jump through a ton of hoops to close. And she worked at a bank so she would, presumably, have known who to talk to and what steps to take. I can't imagine what the process is like for someone completely unfamiliar.

Detroit needs more people like the ones working at the credit union in the article, willing to take the time on small stuff and helping their borrowers understand what's going on. I'm really glad Keith and Evan seem to be doing something to help beyond just improving the houses.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Looking forward to seeing it. I tuned in originally because I grew up in the area. It took awhile for me to embrace Keith’s style. Maybe it’s gotten better? Also, having them keep their house and stop wandering around is smoother.

Also hope they deal a bit with financing—it feels right with their mission.

• Like 2
On 7/21/2023 at 8:26 PM, akg said:

From what I've read elsewhere, the problem is profit (of course). A bank would rather spend their time on a loan for a more expensive house/condo/whatever than on a $100K sale where they're not going to make much money (plus, I'm sure there's some racism there too).

There was a woman in season one who basically had the house designed for her and had to jump through a ton of hoops to close. And she worked at a bank so she would, presumably, have known who to talk to and what steps to take. I can't imagine what the process is like for someone completely unfamiliar.

Detroit needs more people like the ones working at the credit union in the article, willing to take the time on small stuff and helping their borrowers understand what's going on. I'm really glad Keith and Evan seem to be doing something to help beyond just improving the houses.

I’m currently reading Poverty by Matthew Desmond and he touched on this issue- that many are locked out of homeownership not because they cannot afford the payments on the types of homes they are typically renting but because financing those mortgages isn’t profitable for the financial institutions. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

I really like the Door to Door: White Box and Cottage.   Unlike other clip shows with commentary, this really has more information, and extra information about the couple and the houses.   Keith says they're committed to continuing to have sustainable, and affordable housing in Detroit, and would like to fix up an entire neighborhood.    He says they would eventually like to have other cities to do this transformation of abandoned housing.    

Next up Season 3 Episode 1 "Demolition Distress".   That backyard is such a train wreck.     I really like their ideas about the floor plan, and the first floor main suite.     Then, the city sends a demolition order on the house even though they're working on it.  I hate that it took so long to get the work started on the house, and cancelled the bulldozing. 

I love that the Restore-Habitat for Humanity is working with them on prices for their purchases.    The Detroit Restore certainly has some great looking donated furniture and rugs.  The one where I live has a much smaller warehouse, and less to choose from.  I really like the finished house, too bad it took 9 months to finish and get on the market.

Since the men have said before that it takes months to get a house closing where they work, and I bet that it was long after filming the house actually was finalized.   I dislike on other shows about remodels that they say sold, and then mention if it closes.  I know a lot of sales that didn't close, for one reason or another, so it's smart not to claim a sale, when it might not happen. 

I love that Terry called when Shea had baby Beau James Whitfield.    I'm so happy for them, and baby Beau.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really like the Door to Door: White Box and Cottage.

Does anyone know where I can watch these? They don't seem to be on the HGTV app.

I really like their ideas about the floor plan, and the first floor main suite. 

I loved the finished design but I think I'd miss having a bathroom on the main floor for guests/kids to use. You'd either have to be ok with people going through your bedroom and sharing the main bathroom or sending everyone upstairs.

I really like the finished house, too bad it took 9 months to finish and get on the market

I liked that they used clips from previous episodes to really show the passing of time. Plus, Beau of course.

I know nothing about being a real estate agent but I feel bad for Shea that she apparently has to go right back to work. I hope she and her husband were able to take some maternity/paternity leave that we're not seeing.

• Like 1

I liked the lead in episode to the beginning of the new season.  That Keith is a talker but I did get a laugh out of him.  He is quite a character.

I wonder what the Federalist house actually sold for.  I can't even imagine the panic when they saw the demolition order after pouring $40K into the place.

One nitpick for now - the homemade headboard had fabric with lines that were not straight.  The OCD in me had me jumpy looking at it.

Glad to have this show back!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

For the most part I like their renovations. I realize they are working with small budgets, and mostly small houses. 
The one thing that really bothers me is that there is never any ventilation over the stove. I know the houses are older and often the stoves are on an inside wall with no cabinets on top but still I just picture the cooking grease going everywhere.  Even a filter only hood is better than none at all. 

15 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

One nitpick for now - the homemade headboard had fabric with lines that were not straight.  The OCD in me had me jumpy looking at it.

I'm with you on that. I liked the headboard otherwise (although I think I'd have preferred it to go all the way to the floor) but would have had to replace that fabric the day I moved in.

This is the neighborhood this episode's house is in. I couldn't find it on zillow looking at recently sold and for sale (3 bed, 2 bath, $100k-$200k).

There was another sold house on the Zillow list, that was a previous remodel.  I couldn't find this one either.    

This one had a checkerboard tile or paint above the mantle in a green and black or dark gray pattern.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 8/23/2023 at 11:08 PM, Orcinus orca said:

I wonder what the Federalist house actually sold for.  I can't even imagine the panic when they saw the demolition order after pouring $40K into the place.

Which episode is that in?  I 've watched when they bought that house, and then when they were working on it, but I didn't see them getting a demolition order,

3 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Which episode is that in?  I 've watched when they bought that house, and then when they were working on it, but I didn't see them getting a demolition order,

Season 3, Episode 1:  Demolition Distress

They put big plywood pieces on the front of the house and painted "DO NOT DEMO" on them.  It took 9 months to clear the paperwork.

• Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

Season 3, Episode 1:  Demolition Distress

They put big plywood pieces on the front of the house and painted "DO NOT DEMO" on them.  It took 9 months to clear the paperwork.

Thanks, I had recorded it and will watch it now.

• Like 1

Door to Door: Craftsman and Classy Cape Cod

Viewer Question: Did you know while you were working on it that you were going to keep the Cape Cod house? Answer: They fell in love with the charming street, with great trees, and nice neighbors.     Shea had a feeling the men would keep the house.   

The floors had structural issues, but were fixable, for $5,000.  The entire fireplace had to be rebuilt, it had bad mortar. 

The inside of the Classy Cape Cod wasn't bad, the exterior was lovely.   Dining and living room are big, kitchen had floor structural issues.  A lot of the issues were from rot that developed from water leaks, and under-sized beams.  The shopping cart was given up, after the men settle down. 

Craftsman was a total wreck. They went over budget, so couldn't ad an upstairs bathroom.  Craftsman is for sale again, 3 bed 1 bath, for $149,900.  It's pending.   I recognized the chimney brick paint.  (It has the grey and green checkerboard over the fireplace, and I recognized the kitchen backsplash, and the bathroom tile.  There is another toilet in the house, in a corner of the basement.  They didn't include that in the sale description.)

Evan teases Keith when he says "Shea will be disappointed that we can't add the second bathroom", but had already happened in the past.   The men are so cute together.   The finished Craftsman is adorable. 

(I like that they're only doing one house per episode so far, it's much less confusing to me) The Rustic Cozy Cabin New, Season 3 Episode 2.   1,000 sq ft 3 bed 1 bath, close to the university.  exterior is rough. They paid $6,900 for the house. The interior is hideous, even Shea is disgusted with the interior, and it takes a lot to do that.  House was a chop shop, and full of tires.  House is a double shotgun, with a narrow living room. Tiny kitchen, no room for a fridge. bathroom is horrible, and tiny. upstairs has a bedroom, that's a nice size, with an area for an ensuite.   House is full of trash. 

To get more room for the kitchen, and the ensuite upstairs, they'll take down the old chimney, and enlarge the kitchen by taking down a non-loadbearing wall.  Their theme is "Rustic Cabin" after Protar, a man who lived on an island in Michigan.   Lots of wood, plaid.  When Keith goes on the roof to take down the chimney, you can see the shadow of the drone they use for filming.   

City permit office won't allow an added shower upstairs, because the headroom is too short.  So, they moved the shower location to meet code. 

Keith is getting a cutting robotic C & C machine for their shop, but now they have to put it together. Evan gets to assemble the machine. The instructions for assembly are 117 pages long. It took a week to put the machine together, a pro does it in a few days, but charges a lot to do it. 

The kitchen is now so big, compared to what it was.  They're building a butler's pantry with a built-in wine rack.  Putting ceiling beams in the kitchen will cover the pipes from the ensuite, and look good too. 

The finished house is adorable.  I like they only have one house, and finish it for each episode. 

I love the plaid black and white and gray, mosaic tile in the ensuite.   They think the finished 3 bed, 2 bath, bought for $6900, $90k in reno and on the market for $134,900.  The day after the open house they received a full price offer of $135,000, and it's under contract. 

(My guess is the unfinshed details on some houses are because they film reveals and open houses to suit the filming schedule, and finish everything before they actually go on the market). 

(I looked at some of Shea's listings, and the reason she handles the purchase for the houses and not the sale, is the sale prices on her houses are a lot higher than the $90k to $135k that the Bargain Block homes sell for.   Her houses sell for $150,000 and up.    I'm concerned that the potential remodel homes in their target neighborhood may be running out, because even the really awful ones are going for a lot more than they used to. I wonder if the city is razing more abandoned ones in that area than they used to? I love that the men are doing affordable housing, not pricing people out of the neighborhoods. )   

(Federal House from last season they bought for $225,000,  sold for $450,000)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Olliesmom said:

I love these guys!!!!

So many things to love about them.  Their dedication for the city, bringing areas back to life, and rebuilding homes that give low income people a chance at home ownership. 

Their relationship is so sweet, Keith is such a hoot, I find something to laugh at every time.  It's so rare to see him angry or upset.  Evan is so laid back and stable, the "dad" figure.

Such an uplifting show compared to the House Hunters that whine about every little thing and think a house is a "gut job" if it's over 10 years old.  

On a side note, I loved the filming at Eastern Market.  My dad went there every single Saturday morning until he was in his 80's.  He never bought fruits and vegetables anywhere else. It's a wonderful place; they filmed in the early spring when not so crowded but in the summer it's wall-to-wall people!

• Like 6
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

On a side note, I loved the filming at Eastern Market. 

2 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Their dedication for the city

I love that, in addition to adopting Detroit as home, they're also apparently exploring the rest of the state. Protar's house on Beaver Island is probably not super high on even a Michigander's to visit list but they made the trip at some point and enjoyed it.

• Like 2

I’m so old I remember when they never went to six figures. Otoh, these places were pretty much new.

The zen place was nice, felt cozy instead of cramped. But no no no to the disco house. Sorry, I was having bad flashbacks. Couldn’t stand it the first time. 

Except Donna Summer, she was great.

• Like 5

I love this show! I love Keith and Evan, their joyful smiles, and their mission to revitalize these neighborhoods.   Shea and Terry are a wonderful couple also.  It's so terrific to watch cheerful people doing good in this world.  While Keith's style is not my style, I enjoy watching his process, and seeing the results.  This show is such fun to watch.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
On 9/1/2023 at 6:09 AM, Orcinus orca said:

Such an uplifting show compared to the House Hunters that whine about every little thing and think a house is a "gut job" if it's over 10 years old. 

A friend with a beautiful apartment in Chicago was asked to be part of House Hunters.  After all the details were explained, he bowed out (there was a potential for damage to his floors, walls, etc. with the crew/equipment).  The most interesting is that the people "looking" for a home have already found purchased one.  The other two "potentials" are just for showbiz.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

The most interesting is that the people "looking" for a home have already found purchased one.  The other two "potentials" are just for showbiz.

Yeah, that's been pretty widely known for years. Same with House Hunters International.  Some folks have been living in the place for a year or more.

I know there have to be sleight of hand deals in the background with Bargain Block as well but I just love them so darned much!  I have read that their monetary worth is estimated to be over $1 million.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Orcinus orca said:

Yeah, that's been pretty widely known for years. Same with House Hunters International.  Some folks have been living in the place for a year or more.

I know there have to be sleight of hand deals in the background with Bargain Block as well but I just love them so darned much!  I have read that their monetary worth is estimated to be over $1 million.

I really like them too @Orcinus orca. They are silly and cute and I love seeing them renovate old tiny houses. I've missed Keith's craziness this season so far. He's been sedate. Hope he ramps up the bizarre next week.

• Like 2

Tonight's Door to Door: "1950's Surprises" -This is the episode featuring Shea's pregnancy annoucement)   This is the Chunky house, and vintage 50's house episode.  I love they could save the bathroom tile in this episode.   The 50's house upstairs bedroom is spectacular.    The Chunky house sofa was so interesting.   That's the one Keith compared to Kim K's rear end, and making her own bustle. 

New episode, "The Classic Detroit House" Season 3, episode 3.  A 1920's house with original details.   I'm worried about the bungalow's front porch, it's really shaky, and the front stairs are horrible.  The upstairs bedroom is huge.  House used to be a duplex, and changed back to single family, so the top floor can easily be two bedrooms, and a bath.  So, the resale value for a 4 bed 2 bath is so much bigger than the previous 3 bed 2 bath.  

For inspiration they're going to the historic Hotel Shinola, and I love the glass and steel bar area.  Evan is going to do photographs of Detroit Downtown for the house.  Evan does the photos for the real estate listings.  The replacement of the water line from the street to the house will cost $10k to $12k.  Jay the plumber will go negotiate with the city to try to get the price of the water line down, and I hope he succeeds.  Jay did get the price for the water line down to $5k.  

The finished house is spectacular. 

• Like 3

Love this Detroit Classic episode.  Lots of scenes of downtown Detroit which brought back a lot of memories.  Starting at age 13, my best friend and I were allowed to take the bus downtown from the suburbs to Christmas shop at Hudson's.  One of locations that Keith was setting up his camera had a Flaming Embers restaurant on the corner and you could smell the steaks sizzling on the grill. Next door was a cararmel corn/popcorn store and that smell was so delicious; I can smell it to this day.

Kind of sad to see the lack of traffic, though.  Woodward Avenue used to have a steady stream of cars and buses.

Did I miss the staging of the other two bedrooms?  Didn't they turn it into a four bedroom house?  I only saw the two upstairs.

I am a little surprised they got that high a price.  Not because of the house itself, ,it was great, but because of that derelict place next door. It looked like it was leaning toward the Detroit Classic house.

Love these two.  Keith never fails to make me laugh at least once.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I noticed the place next door, but maybe that one was too far gone, and the city is going to take it down? 

It's the one that Shea teased them with before she showed them the nice one next door.

37 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Did they  say that the city was going to demolish the house next door? I hope so. 

Things move at a glacial pace in Detroit, that place has probably been deteriorating for decades.  I hope the influence of the boys moves things along in terms of demolishing it.

• Like 2