Type keyword(s) to search

Bargain Block - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Were they the SAME chairs used in the Wild West house...or did they purchase several on their Texas trip?

I suspect they were the same chairs, and at the Moroccan house Shea said Evan or Keith built the table.   I guess they could have bought more than 4 chairs though.    Round Top, Texas has so many antique, and design stores, that it could have been either 4 or 8 chairs.   They might have moved the chairs from one house to another for filming and sales showings.      They've also said the staging furniture is about $2,000 to $3,000 extra, and not everyone wants it.    It could be that whoever bought the Wild West house already had a dining set, or the chairs.  Or they showed the episodes out of order again.     

My guess is the walls, and floors are so out of plumb that putting tile in with spacers and exact measurements would be awful to do, and look odd.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3
(edited)
On 6/30/2022 at 11:40 AM, Kiki620 said:

I am puzzled by one thing.  Goodness knows I have never laid tile, but I've watched a lot of people do it on HGTV shows 😄  Keith and Evan never use spacers.  Is this common?

I've seen various explanation; one is that some EXPERTS don't use them...but here's one I just cut/pasted from some website:  Why do you need Tile spacers?

Tile spacers allow you to achieve a consistent pattern when fixing wall/floor tiles and help to ensure that all tiles are laid equidistant from each other (providing a symmetrical finish - as you or your customer would expect) in order for the grout to then be applied.

NOTE:  Keith seems to have an artist's eye for everything...including symmetry and measurement, so maybe he can just "tell" that things will work.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 3

I didn't understand anything about the Moroccan house. The decoration was about as crazy as what they usually do but it mattered so much more here.

I also would have liked more background on why buying that house was so important. As I understand it, their goal is to improve the overall value of the homes in the neighborhood by focusing on houses that other people aren't going to invest in. The Moroccan house was in good shape and there was another buyer. Why not move on to someplace else that needed their attention more? Based on all of the talk about maybe not making a profit, making money probably wasn't a factor.

I'd really love to know how much the final buying price and timeline was on that house.

(edited)

Door to Door episode (the ones with commentary) Calm Minds and Dark Moods.

New Age House (Calm Minds house?) $39k their fifth home on the same block.  2 bed 1 bath. Since this is the fifth house on the block, they already have established comps from their other homes.  Potential sales price $80k.   Unfortunately, the bathroom has copper pipes, but kitchen is galvanized, and the electrical box was stolen after they inspected the house, so maybe $7k to fix the electrical.   The log ends wall is interesting.  I wonder what happens with the sap comes out?  I like the kitchen, and the bathroom floor. SOrry, but the twig headboard is a big No for me.   I like the finished house, the log wall looks great.   The canopy bed is a good use of the space, and it does make the room look bigger.  However, the bedroom with the twig headboard is awful.   I bet the twigs were gone the second the buyer moved in.  I really like the kitchen, and the kitchen hardware looks good with the counter tops.   One of the neighbors gave them a Pound Cake.   

SOld for $85k, $5k over asking. 

House 2-Dark Moods (Black House) house, $50k list price from seller, 3 bed 1 bath 1100 sq ft, Layout is bizarre.   3 bedrooms and 1 bath are upstairs.  This comes with a tree that fell on the house, and has caution tape on it.   $50k asking price  is ridiculous, so they get it for $22k cash.  Keith crawls on the roof with a chain saw to take care of the tree on the roob.  Keith loves being on a roof, I join Evan in his worry for Keith.  First floor will be the kitchen in a new location, a half bath, and laundry, plus a big living and dining room.    The design for the cabinets, furniture, finishes will be black.  Changing the kitchen to the other side of the first floor requires busting the basement floor to move the plumbing, and adding the half bath and laundry, for $7900.      

They're doing all black, kitchen cabinets, walls and trim, black tile on the fire place, ceiling, and everything.      Can you imagine how hard it will be to fix the ceilings and walls?     They decided to soften the kitchen, and do a butcher block in walnut stain, white and grey marble porcelain tile back splash.   Keith changed the fire place tile to the back splash porcelain tile.    The gray and white tile looks like marble, but it's porcelain.    Exterior is bluish gren, bathroom tile is white and light grey.  Only the living room and kitchen is black, with the lighter accents.   Upstairs, and half bath and laundry will be light.   Living room wall has gold paint accents.     

The living room needs a white or off white ceiling, and I would do the same in the kitchen.   Half bath is lovely, and so is the laundry.    The upstairs bedrooms are bright and lovely.   I love the full bath, but wonder if the sloped ceiling over the tub shower combo is too law.  They added copper gutters.   They had an offer for $99k.   

$22k purchase, list $99,900, and that's the selling price. 

They went so high on the Morocco house purchase price because the comps were very good, and they could rehab it easier, because it was in good shape overall.   That house had some good comps.   I loved the Morocco house, except for the living room gold paint.      On the Circul house, I didn't like the pink cabinets, but loved the kitchen floor and the back splash tile. 

New episode "Goth and Federal" Keith wants to do a black interior on the Goth house, and the Federal house is the most expensive project yet. 

Goth House,  All brick but rough shape, the previous flipper only did the roof, 3 bed 1 bath, 1300 sq ft. inside is hideous.   $29k purchase price.   1st floor is 2 bed 1 bath, upstairs is another bedroom.  Keith wants a black bath, kitchen, floor and wall tile black, black curtains,  Upstairs is huge, big walk-in closet, and another closet, and think of putting another bath upstairs. Reno about $70k and selling at $99k.     Keith and Evan have a big van.   It's such a good idea to use a wide drywall scraper to get the dead vines off the outside.  They're painting the exterior brick because it has 2 colors of brick, cedar shakes, and some stone, so it's easier to get a cohesive look.   Kitchen has black back splash tile and cabinets, exterior is evergreen painted brick, natural wood shutters, bathroom has white tile.  Interior has white walls with black curtains, This house really isn't much black in it, and the white walls really make it look light and bright.    House is 3 bed 2 bath, $140k list, with the second bedroom en suite.  

House 2-Federal house.   House is huge, federal style two story, 4 bed 4 bath, 2400 sq ft, built in 1925.   Purchase price is $225,000 (not a typo, their most expensive purchase ever).  Reno budget $100k, the house had a fire place fire with the flue closed, so smoke damage all over.   First floor has the living/dining/kitchen, mud room,  areas, and a half bath, plus sunroom,  2nd floor original bath will be changed to laundry, so 2 bedrooms on this floor, with a smaller bedroom changed to the main bathroom,

Federal has plumbing issues with the added laundry room change, for $7500.  

Shea thinks they could list for $375k to $400k , and says homes in this neighborhood sell for over asking.   

Federal will be continued next week, and they have to decide whether to sell it to a flipper, or keep going.  The other house is super stinky.   However, the Bargain Block Bargain Buys premiere's next Wednesday. so the next episode of Federal is 10 August. 

The men redid their dining room on their house, so Shea and Terry are bringing their dog, for a doggy playdate with Keith and Evan's dog, and to show off the dining room change.  The dining room is so much better, with a nice warm beige tones off-white.  

Next Wednesday, Bargain Block : Bargain Buys premiers with Shea and Terry, at 9 Eastern, 8 Central, with them helping first time buyers find and reno their home. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

First floor has the living/dining/kitchen, mud room,  areas, and a half bath, plus sunroom,  2nd floor original bath will be changed to laundry, so 2 bedrooms on this floor, with a smaller bedroom changed to the main bathroom,

I went back and looked, the house has 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. I wonder why they are making the small bedroom into a bathroom?

I bet they keep that house for themselves. Just a guess.

26 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I went back and looked, the house has 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. I wonder why they are making the small bedroom into a bathroom?

I bet they keep that house for themselves. Just a guess.

WHY???  I can't see their wanting/needing anything that large.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The log ends wall is interesting.  I wonder what happens with the sap comes out?  I like the kitchen, and the bathroom floor. SOrry, but the twig headboard is a big No for me. 

While I like a lot of Keith's art work, I also think of vacuuming all the dust that they collect, and if a fire were to break out, wow.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Door to Door episode (the ones with commentary) Calm Minds and Dark Moods.

Are these available to watch anywhere online? Thanks for the summaries. I really wish there were pictures available somewhere though so I could remind myself which house was which.

17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Next Wednesday, Bargain Block : Bargain Buys premiers with Shea and Terry, at 9 Eastern, 8 Central, with them helping first time buyers find and reno their home. 

Thanks for this. I can't find any record of this show existing and, if there were any ads for it during the noon rerun (watched as live tv through the hgtv website), I missed them.

I'm so glad they were able to add the 2nd bathroom to the Goth house. My place is a little bit bigger than that one but had the same layout and, although they did a horrible job with the layout, I love the previous owner who turned the attic into a suite.

19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

However, the bedroom with the twig headboard is awful. 

I know that they want to save costs wherever possible but the obsession with free wood is silly.  Who wants to prop their pillow against a bunch of ragged wood pieces?  Hardly makes for a cozy place to sit and read in bed.

And the wood wall in the living room did look nice but, again, what a nightmare to keep clean.  I can only imagine the resident spiders being in heaven with all of those cool places to build webs and hide out.  And dusting those would be impossible.

I admit to usually being surprised at how nice things look when they are finished.  But that wood accent stuff has got to go.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I know that they want to save costs wherever possible but the obsession with free wood is silly.  Who wants to prop their pillow against a bunch of ragged wood pieces?  Hardly makes for a cozy place to sit and read in bed.

And the wood wall in the living room did look nice but, again, what a nightmare to keep clean.  I can only imagine the resident spiders being in heaven with all of those cool places to build webs and hide out.  And dusting those would be impossible.

I admit to usually being surprised at how nice things look when they are finished.  But that wood accent stuff has got to go.

I have always wondered what using a leaf blower would do to clean off something like the wood wall in the living room to get rid of dust and spiders.    I would be tempted to try that on that wall.    However, the headboard would be gone on day one. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, akg said:

Are these available to watch anywhere online? Thanks for the summaries. I really wish there were pictures available somewhere though so I could remind myself which house was which.

Thanks for this. I can't find any record of this show existing and, if there were any ads for it during the noon rerun (watched as live tv through the hgtv website), I missed them.

I'm so glad they were able to add the 2nd bathroom to the Goth house. My place is a little bit bigger than that one but had the same layout and, although they did a horrible job with the layout, I love the previous owner who turned the attic into a suite.

If you watch on cable, this week's show is rerun, then the Door to Door episode of the week with extra facts shown is next, and then the new episode.    The Shea and Terry, Bargain Block: Bargain Buys (Buying Detroit is the episode title) show is a premiere, so I'm thinking a one time show for now.   I'm hoping we'll get part two of Federal on the 10th, called Federal and Summer Garden.   

I don't know how you find something on On Demand and I didn't see it on the HGTV website.   The HGTV airing schedule doesn't list a title for Shea and Terry's show. 

3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Maybe KEITH (or his people) will read your comment and have someone respond ... or explain at some point on one of the shows.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/28/2022 at 3:26 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

If you watch on cable, this week's show is rerun, then the Door to Door episode of the week with extra facts shown is next, and then the new episode.    The Shea and Terry, Bargain Block: Bargain Buys (Buying Detroit is the episode title) show is a premiere, so I'm thinking a one time show for now.   I'm hoping we'll get part two of Federal on the 10th, called Federal and Summer Garden.   

I don't know how you find something on On Demand and I didn't see it on the HGTV website.   The HGTV airing schedule doesn't list a title for Shea and Terry's show. 

I'm wondering if it will be listed along with the regular Bargain Block episodes?     The HGTV schedule doesn't even list a show title or anything for the Wednesday showing this week, and then whenever the episode is available on demand, or on the HGTV website it will be listed.    

---------------------------------------- Terry and Shea's show---

Bargain Block / Bargain Buys is the title, and episode title is "Moving Forward, Staying Close" I've seen several different titles for the same episode.   Terry has his real estate license now also. 

Stephan is the contractor.  They're looking for a home for Taylor, and her husband Kevon, and their two little boys to buy their first home.   The family's been staying with her grandmother for two years to save money for the house purchase.   If never I hear the term generational wealth again, I'll be happy.   

They have $15k to $20k for a down payment, but can only afford $700 to $800 a month total payment.   They would like to stay in their westside neighborhood.   They want 2 to 3 bedrooms.   I suggest 3.   Terry wants advice about being a 'boy dad' (Terry and Shea are having a little boy), and   Median home price in Detroit is $95k, and the couple are preapproved for $105k.    The couples little boys are so adorable. 

House 1- $109k but been on the market for a while, so probably negotiable, 1300 sq ft, 3 bed 1 bath.  I'm not crazy about painting brick, but the first floor orange brick is hideous.   No first floor bath, and the family bathroom on the second floor is small.  Detached two car garage., small backyard. 

House 2-$89k, 3 bed, 2 bath, 900 sq ft., single story, bungalow close to Taylor's grandmother's place.   Nice hardwood floors. living is small, dining is bigger, kitchen is odd,  Terry and Shea say take out the corner wall between kitchen and dining.   Bathroom 1 has burgundy tile,   upstairs main bedroom has an ensuite, but sloping bathroom ceiling will hurt Terry if he's not careful.   Backyard is nice, mostly fenced, 1 car garae with some extra room for storage.    

No surprise, they went with the second house, offering full price of $89,000,  and I'm so happy for them.   

They got the house, passed inspection,    The contractor seems very good, he's suggesting things that need help, but not ripping everything out.   Reno costs are estimated at $23k, with sweat equity from the couple, it can meet their budget of $18k.   Taylor says she can paint, and Stefan can show Taylor how to tile and grout.  Terry's going to help also.   They're taking the kitchen/living room wall down.   Shea is surprising her with a trip to Keith and Evan for design ideas, the Storehouse, so they're getting a little money from Shea (a realtor closing gift), to help furnish the home.  They finally find some stuff Taylor likes. 

They replaced the first floor bath with cute hexagonal tiles, and Taylor's grouting them.   Shea is taking a bunch of family photos for a portrait wall.   Taylor is going to work on the concrete counter tops.    The grandmother bought new appliances for the couple as a housewarming gift.  

The finished home is so cute.     The concrete countertops are wonderful.     I would only have added more upper cabinets on the kitchen sink wall.    The upstairs main bedroom looks fantastic.   I really liked the show, Terry and Shea, and the couple and their kids were adorable.    I like that the house needed fixed up, not a total wreck and long abandoned like the usual Bargain Block house.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
On 7/21/2022 at 3:35 PM, auntjess said:

Watching them show folks the house, and wondering why they don't have a railing on at least one side of the porch steps, with all the ice and snow in Detroit.

I just said this last night!  None of the homes has a railing.  Maybe because I'm 75, and live in the snowy Northeast, that's a 'thing' for me.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the new show, it is such a refreshing change to House Hunters with their long list of ridiculous "must haves" (a game room, a media room, a bathroom for each child, a huge yard and no view of any neighbors, a man cave, an enormouse kitchen, a bathroom the size of a garage) and see someone be so happy and excited at their first home.  Plus the sweat equity involved!  Great job all the way around.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I really enjoyed the new show, it is such a refreshing change to House Hunters with their long list of ridiculous "must haves"

I have a good friend in Chicago who owns a BEAUTIFUL top floor apartment.  He was approached by someone in Production, asking if they could use his apartment for the show.  There would be compensaion. His apartment wasn't for sale or available in any way. They would simply pretend to consider it as one of three possibilities.  The whole thing is staged.  The "buyers" have already selected/purchased a home, and the staff finds at least two more "fake" residences for them to visit.  

He didn't want all those strangers and equipment (and it's a third story walk-up!) in his place, so he turned down the offer.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

I just said this last night!  None of the homes has a railing.  Maybe because I'm 75, and live in the snowy Northeast, that's a 'thing' for me.

It's a "thing" for me too (older than you)!  I'm in dry-dry-dry Arizona and my KNEEEZ don't like going up even ONE step without a railing.  I'm not even comfortable stepping up/down on a curb.  I notice the lack of railings every time.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I have a good friend in Chicago who owns a BEAUTIFUL top floor apartment.  He was approached by someone in Production, asking if they could use his apartment for the show.  There would be compensaion. His apartment wasn't for sale or available in any way. They would simply pretend to consider it as one of three possibilities.  The whole thing is staged.  The "buyers" have already selected/purchased a home, and the staff finds at least two more "fake" residences for them to visit.  

He didn't want all those strangers and equipment (and it's a third story walk-up!) in his place, so he turned down the offer.

That's no different than any other show. Production doesn't have time to go on a real search for properties and the time it would take to purchase and settle. All these types of shows are done this way.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

It's a "thing" for me too (older than you)!  I'm in dry-dry-dry Arizona and my KNEEEZ don't like going up even ONE step without a railing.  I'm not even comfortable stepping up/down on a curb.  I notice the lack of railings every time.

When we bought our home 34 years ago it didn't have porch railings so we had wrought iron railings installed. My husband even put "grab bars" on the garage walls by the three steps into the house. Back in 1988 our local building codes didn't require railings. That's changed and now they must be installed by code on entry stairs. Even porches must have railings if they are a certain height from the ground. Apparently the Detroit area that the Bargain Block guys are working in doesn't require railings. 🙁

• Love 4

My friends in a snowy northern suburb have no railing for the three steps to the first level of their porch. In the winter, I use the backdoor deck avec railing. 

I think I've posted this before, but we were approached to film twice by HH. First time, it was for new owners. Second time, it was as a decoy and we passed. The building is recognizable and as a decoy, they would have had to criticize. Hard pass.🤣

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Depending on the location, egress windows aren't required in a lot of basements, but they're a legal bedroom.   Railings, and other add ons may be required on new builds, but not on older homes.

It's not the right way to do things, but some places you can get away with it.  

Wednesday the 10th has a lot of Bargain Block reruns, and the end of Federal.   However, no mention of Shea and Terry's show that day. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Railings, and other add ons may be required on new builds, but not on older homes. 

When I remodeled my master bathroom I had the ceiling light fixture changed to pot lights and replaced the exhaust fan. As a result of having electric work done, the contractor had to add hard-wired smoke detectors in all bedrooms and a couple other places to bring the house up to current code. In my area a homeowner has to have those code upgrades when selling a house.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 8/4/2022 at 11:35 AM, CruiseDiva said:

Apparently the Detroit area that the Bargain Block guys are working in doesn't require railings.

I'm in Grand Rapids, MI and the city doesn't require railings for steps at that height either. When I bought my house (built in the 1920s), the inspector recommended I add some for my porch and backyard deck but just as a general "you might want them", not as a must have.

On 8/4/2022 at 8:36 AM, Cetacean said:

I really enjoyed the new show

I forgot to watch live through the spectrum app (I'm using my aunt's cable so can't just tune into hgtv) and I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to be any sign of this existing at all so I can't watch.

Evan said something that may be the reason we don't always hear the selling price, just the listing price.   Evan said that closings in Detroit take a really long time, so until that happens, they won't say the price it sold for.   Since next week is all reruns, I'm wondering if there are only 9 episodes this season?   I hope not, because I really am loving this show. 

Also they said before that they need to get a comp for the first house on a street or block, so the really funky designs are to get a better appraisal for the first comp. 

I love how Goth turned out, with the white walls on the interior, and adding an ensuite to the main bedroom upstairs. 

I also like that Keith and Evan

Tonight's new episode is the final on Federal.  It's called "Federal and Summer Garden".     Federal's fireplace is beautiful after cleaning and the mantle.    I'm not a fan of wallpaper, but I'll trust Keith on this one for Federal's dining room.  He's doing a big wall mural in the dining room, which fits the style and the period.   The wallpaper is much wider than normal, so it's tough to install.  Federal's kitchen is now spectacular.   They want Federal to feel luxurious, and it certainly is achieving that. 

I'm so glad they didn't paint the exterior brick. 

The laundry is on the second floor.  Keith and Evan are walking the neighborhood on trash day for furniture and big items, and find some great stuff.  $225k purchase price, $100k remodel, and list at $400k,     The inside of federal is amazing.     I love the refinished fireplace, the dining room mural, the kitchen is fabulous.      Upstairs is beautiful, with a main suite with a sitting room.   I like the laundry room with the cabinets, but why isn't there a pan with a drain for the washer?    The main bath is gorgeous.   The shower glass enclosure will be in the next week.  Shea's hoping for a bidding war.   No final price yet, I bet it's the slow closing procedures.  

Summer Garden is $89k, 4 bed 2 bath, and it's a two story all brick.   Price is amazingly low.   The low price is because the house has a hideous  stench that grosses out Keith, Evan, and Shea. Fireplace is spectacular.  Floors are bad on the first floor.   The fridge opening by Keith was a very bad move.  Shea, and Evan, have to go outside after Keith opens the fridge door.   I guess the first rules of flipping are don't open the fridge or freezer, and don't look in the toilet, just take it outside.  I'm suspecting Summer Garden was an office and work space for the previous owners.    Shea says if she can get the price down a lot, then with a $70k reno they can make a good profit.  Bought for $69k and $70k reno.   

Taking the nasty fridge out involves both men in bio hazard suits, and good respirators.    Keith decides on the Summer Garden theme, and he's going to find wildflowers for the yard by the side of the road.  Since the kitchen cabinets are so good, they're painting them, and replacing the counter tops.   The fireplace is cleaning up nicely.

Shea just drove up to Summer Garden, and her belly honked the horn.      Shea is almost due, so this will probably be her last open house, and Evan and Keith will do showings while she's with the baby.   

Summer Garden is spectacular, and I love the flowers, and the furniture are so wonderful.   The kitchen is so nice, coordinated, and the counter tops are wonderful.   The kitchen back splash tile is lovely.   Dining room is so nice.  They turned the flex space into a huge, lovely family room.   I actually like the accent wall in the family room.  Upstairs is so nice.  I think there's a half bath on the first floor.   List price is $175k, and they have a full price offer. 

Keith and Evan finish the baby's room for Shea.  I love the giraffe and Lion wall hangings.    The nursery is so beautiful.  I love the accent wall matching the changing table/dresser.  I love the fabric rocker, and Terry rocking the pillow.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I know that sometimes the designs are a bit over the top but I find myself really liking both guys and what they are accomplishing.  I like Shea as well, she is a good sport in going into some of those dumps. 

I'm sure there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on like farming out some of the work (we know they now have someone else do the drywall) but they really do seem like hard workers and genuinely nice guys.  Editing?  Maybe.  But I choose to believe in their good natures.  And it truly is incredible how much they do for the money.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8

I'm sorry but the first two pages of the thread I agree with more than the post pages. The designs of most of these homes are horrid. I recently just watched the one with the black bathtub (that still had chips of paint missing on the white portion of it) and the sink was dirty or rusted behind the faucet (you could see it clear as day on what was the finished bathroom). The floor looked like a slab of concrete. 

I have watched a few other episodes and although I don't speak for every African American, a lot of us do not buy these artsy over the top homes. Seriously, look at any densely AA community,  even upper income community and there's not much of this flashy design. Especially in an area like Detroit. These homes are very out of place in their exterior designs (the paint jobs, not so much the actual home design). They look tacky, and the oos and ahhs of the guests seem unconvincing. So I'm curious to see who are the actual buyers of the homes. Regardless, the cause is a good one, the execution is not too great minus a few episodes. But apparently they have a watcher base. 

The thread did a weird 180 after page 2 but I guess that's due to the first season impressions anyway. I'm not a fan much. 

18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The laundry is on the second floor

19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I like the laundry room with the cabinets, but why isn't there a pan with a drain for the washer? 

Yeah, as an old Mike Holmes fan, these are things he HATED, and always moved laundry to the basement if possible, because of the possibility of overflowing.
Also, please tell me that Shea & Terry kept the painting of her, and replaced it with something else in the house they were selling.

• Love 1
On 7/28/2022 at 4:26 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've been watching this show on ondemand through Spectrum cable. Shea and Terry's show is available there now as Bargain Block: Bargain Buys. I really enjoyed it although I'm a little sad that Terry changed careers. He seemed to be really good with kids.

On 8/10/2022 at 7:56 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Evan said something that may be the reason we don't always hear the selling price, just the listing price.   Evan said that closings in Detroit take a really long time, so until that happens, they won't say the price it sold for. 

No final price yet, I bet it's the slow closing procedures.  

I'm glad this was mentioned although I wish it was brought up in the main show. I've read that's a huge problem for lower to mid cost housing in Detroit since loan officers would rather spend their time on more expensive transactions (so the Federal house probably moved through things much more quickly than anything else Keith and Evan have sold). I think I posted this article before but the woman who had Keith and Evan fix up a house just for her last season had a ridiculously hard time finalizing her mortgage, despite working as a loan officer.

The article is really interesting and discusses a lot of the background I wish Keith and Evan would talk about on their show. They have a platform to publicize the inequities in Detroit and should use it.

The low price is because the house has a hideous  stench that grosses out Keith, Evan, and Shea.

Why on earth would the sellers not have removed that fridge before listing? Who knows how much money it cost them. The house sat on the market for ages, right? And then Shea got them to drop the price by $20k (or $10? I forget) which is definitely more than a couple of hazmat-suited movers would have cost.

Shea is almost due, so this will probably be her last open house, and Evan and Keith will do showings while she's with the baby.   

I hope she takes time off for a maternity leave. Terry could fill in (or they could alternate). I hate that so many parents are forced back into work so soon after their child's birth in the US.

I actually like the accent wall in the family room.

Me too! I was rolling my eyes as Keith was installing it but I really liked how it looked painted the same color as the rest of the walls. Same with the blue wall in Shea and Terry's nursery.

On 7/30/2022 at 6:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Shea is taking a bunch of family photos for a portrait wall. 

I liked the photo wall but it wasn't very practical. My family had one and we were adding pictures to it regularly as the kids got older or we had a fun vacation or someone dug up a picture of my grandmother as a teen. I'm not sure the pictures in Keith's wall could even be changed but the family definitely couldn't add new photos and have them look like part of the design.

Edited by akg
edited because Keith is not Kevin
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, akg said:

I'm glad this was mentioned although I wish it was brought up in the main show. I've read that's a huge problem for lower to mid cost housing in Detroit since loan officers would rather spend their time on more expensive transactions (so the Federal house probably moved through things much more quickly than anything else Keith and Evan have sold). I think I posted this article before but the woman who had Keith and Evan fix up a house just for her last season had a ridiculously hard time finalizing her mortgage, despite working as a loan officer.

The article is really interesting and discusses a lot of the background I wish Keith and Evan would talk about on their show. They have a platform to publicize the inequities in Detroit and should use it.

An excellent article and further enhances my respect for Evan and Keith and their passion for what they do. It truly is a labor of love and a great boon to the area.  I only wish Quicken Loans would step up since the owner, Dan Gilbert, was born and raised in Detroit.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 8/11/2022 at 12:01 PM, auntjess said:

Also, please tell me that Shea & Terry kept the painting of her, and replaced it with something else in the house they were selling.

Were Shea and Terry including all the "staging" in their house sale?  That would be unusual, so I don't think so.    Even Keith and Evan charge OVER the sale price of their houses if the buyers want the furniture/accessories. Someone here mentioned $2,000 extra.

9 hours ago, akg said:

I really enjoyed it although I'm a little sad that Terry changed careers.

Terry and Shea probably need more income than what he could make in his previous job.

9 hours ago, akg said:

He seemed to be really good with kids.

There are PLENTY of volunteer opportunities for a guy like Terry.  I agree; he seemed GREAT with kids.  Sometime economics causes a loss of the best role models.

9 hours ago, akg said:
On 8/10/2022 at 4:56 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The low price is because the house has a hideous  stench that grosses out Keith, Evan, and Shea.

Why on earth would the sellers not have removed that fridge before listing?

IGNORANCE?  LAZINESS?  On their part and the part of their listing agent (surely they listed the home with a Realtor).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, akg said:

I'm not sure the pictures in Keith's wall could even be changed but the family definitely couldn't add new photos and have them look like part of the design.

I don't think Keith always plans ahead when he gets an "art installation" in mind.  Let's hope there's some "genius" method for changing photos. Otherwise, he'll have to visit and make ANOTHER family-photo wall (with easy changes in in the plan next time).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, akg said:

Me too! I was rolling my eyes as Kevin was installing it but I really liked how it looked painted the same color as the rest of the walls. Same with the blue wall in Shea and Terry's nursery.

Do we assume that Keith had a used dresser, painted it the perfect blue and THEN created all those wonderful white markings? SO MUCH WORK!  If so, it would be great to see a little video of his work.  It's spectacular.     "Kevin" is cute ... like a couple-name  Keith+Evan = Kevan.

2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

IGNORANCE?  LAZINESS?  On their part and the part of their listing agent (surely they listed the home with a Realtor).

Or it was an estate sale, sold 'as is', and with everything left behind.   

I loved how Federal turned out, and Summer Garden was spectacular. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Terry and Shea probably need more income than what he could make in his previous job.

True. If Shea is working primarily in the neighborhoods we're seeing on the show, she's not making much in commissions. I have no idea what hgtv pays their people though. If they pick up Bargain Buys, she should double that (minimum since she'll go from ~supporting to lead). And Terry will get a similar check.

I loved how Federal turned out too but it also drove me a little crazy. Why couldn't Keith reign himself in like that with the Moroccan house? The stakes weren't quite as high there but they were still higher than he and Evan usually deal with (I did a lot of yelling at my tv during that episode).

2 hours ago, akg said:

I loved how Federal turned out too but it also drove me a little crazy. Why couldn't Keith reign himself in like that with the Moroccan house?

He decided to decorate the Federal house in "the period."  He probably felt very restrained. He had decided to "go Moroccan" with the other house.  Would the show be AS entertaining without Keith's artistic talent and quirks?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Would the show be AS entertaining without Keith's artistic talent and quirks?

No! And Evan's reactions to said quirks are why I enjoy the show too. I like that the houses are affordable and unique. I like that, at least to viewers, it seems that they do the majority of the work. I ♥️ the banter between Keith and Evan. Opposites attract sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I just saw an article about people who purchased a huge, all brick two story with a pool from the Land Bank.     The listing said if you wanted to see the place you had to come to Detroit and set up an appointment, but the people didn't do that.  The listing also said the pool was inoperable, or condemned.   

Because of the mosquito and other health hazards the city condemed the pool, and it was filled in by someone who had zero idea how to do it properly.    The new owners arrived, were surprised their Land Bank property was a mess.   

Maybe the new owners should have hired Keith and Evan to evaluate possible houses for them, and remodel it for them. the way they did Federal or Summer Garden.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 8/12/2022 at 9:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Or a foreclosure in which case they were lucky the only thing the former owners did was unplug the fridge and spray paint red squiggles on the cabinets and walls.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, quirkygal said:
On 8/12/2022 at 6:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Or a foreclosure in which case they were lucky the only thing the former owners did was unplug the fridge and spray paint red squiggles on the cabinets and walls.

A had a good male friend who had (yet another) crazy girlfriend. She was a mother of two and in her 40s--losing her home to foreclosure and having a last-gasp garage sale. HE recruited a few of us to help her. She obviously had "earlier help." When we got there, among the things For Sale were the stove and dishwasher (not portable)--two toilets and two sinks that had been removed (with difficulty) from her bathrooms.  She said that it was "legal" to remove them because they were not "part of the structure." 

• Mind Blown 1

I knew someone who bought a foreclosure, no electricity turned on, and inspection was only so buyer would know what needed fixing.     When they closed, and had the utilities turned back on, they found out that the inspection wouldn't have been helped by the power being on.   The previous owner had taken all of the ceiling fans, and anything more expensive like chandeliers out, and took every lightbulb out of the remaining fixtures.   They also took the Polaris (if the name's wrong, it's that automated pool cleaning vacuum device) out of the pool, and when they turned the hot tub/spa on gunk that looked like tar came out of all of the vents.      

After seeing the Land Bank or other very cheap properties on this show, I guess the foreclosure my friend bought wasn't so bad.  

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

She said that it was "legal" to remove them because they were not "part of the structure." 

That's bullshit. 

I don't know if you mean her actions were BS ... or her law declaration.  She was never charged with anything.  And, CrazyInAlabama...you reminded me of something else: she also took all lightbulbs and the garage door opener. (All items "removed" from the structure did sell.)

Edited by Back Atcha
2 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

She said that it was "legal" to remove them because they were not "part of the structure." 

That's bullshit. 

I don't know if you mean her actions were BS ... or her law declaration

I meant her law declaration. I took and passed the training to be a real estate agent. One of the things covered was what conveys in a house sale. For instance, if you intend to take a ceiling chandelier, it has to be written into the sales contract, or you remove the chandelier when marketing the house. By the time a house gets to foreclosure, the banks are going to take whatever they can get and not worry about what is or isn't left.

• Love 1