Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
DVDFreaker

Bargain Block

My experience with people like this is that while they’re happy when the house is cleaned and organized, it won’t last. In a month or so, it will be a nasty mess once again. I’ve helped people before but only once.

4 hours ago, Gam2 said:

My experience with people like this is that while they’re happy when the house is cleaned and organized, it won’t last. In a month or so, it will be a nasty mess once again. I’ve helped people before but only once.

Whom exactly do you mean when you write "people like this"?

• Like 4

I thought I was commenting on a hoarder’s show. I must have hit the wrong key somehow.

I thought the Detroit Pride house was nice. Most of the walls were white with just a couple of accent walls that could easily be painted over. Removing the records would be a bit of a pain, along with patching the wall, but overall not a lot of work to remove Keith's decor if a buyer didn't like it.

The Weird House where they color blocked the main floor was horrible. The living room could be painted over but I can't imagine that kitchen was to many people's taste and would be a lot of work to redo.

I didn't mind the lattice and flowers in the bathroom. I think you can go bold in a small room like that. I have given up taping when I paint because no matter what kind of tape I use, it always, always has some paint seepage beneath. I wondered how the guys managed to get clean lines taping the lattice strips. But when they were showing to potential buyers you could see lots of places where the paint had seeped under the tape. It surprised me that they didn't appear to make any attempt to touch up those spots. As a buyer it would make me wonder about the workmanship of the flippers when they didn't even bother to clean that up.

I think these guys would be better off if they let their realtor, Shea, have input on the designs. She is always dressed very stylishly so I think would have much better design ideas than Keith.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Like 7

On 6/5/2021 at 12:51 PM, absolutelyido said:

I thought the Detroit Pride house was nice. Most of the walls were white with just a couple of accent walls that could easily be painted over. Removing the records would be a bit of a pain, along with patching the wall, but overall not a lot of work to remove Keith's decor if a buyer didn't like it.

The Weird House where they color blocked the main floor was horrible. The living room could be painted over but I can't imagine that kitchen was to many people's taste and would be a lot of work to redo.

I didn't mind the lattice and flowers in the bathroom. I think you can go bold in a small room like that. I have given up taping when I paint because no matter what kind of tape I use, it always, always has some paint seepage beneath. I wondered how the guys managed to get clean lines taping the lattice strips. But when they were showing to potential buyers you could see lots of places where the paint had seeped under the tape. It surprised me that they didn't appear to make any attempt to touch up those spots. As a buyer it would make me wonder about the workmanship of the flippers when they didn't even bother to clean that up.

I think these guys would be better off if they let their realtor, Shea, have input on the designs. She is always dressed very stylishly so I think would have much better design ideas than Keith.

Agree.  Some of these designs are insulting.  You can still add originality without making it a clown house.  

• Like 5

So tonight they end up buying the last house they did.  Did you notice it didn't have the crazy designs Keith normally does.  

• Like 5
  • Laugh 4

I was thinking that last house looked really nice, had improved finishes, was very livable and very different than what they’d previously done—with a much bigger price tag.

So imagine my lack of shock when they moved in—quite the customized deal! Season 2?

ETA: No renewal or cancellation notice yet by HGTV.

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 5

Since the 5 minute preview after this episode listed it as running next Wednesday, then I guess this was the season finale.   

It was not a surprise that they stayed in the last house.  'We can do higher end finishes' was a total ploy.    They did a lovely job on the last house, and I wish they did the same elegant esthetic on the other flips they do.   I noticed that the house they stayed in was also in a much quieter neighborhood too, and the homes around it looked very nice.   

I don't like the over-the-top design on the other houses this season. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

They really go overboard with curtains and drapes They are much too big for the space, it makes the rooms look smaller.

• Like 5

I was really disappointed when the guys talked about how excited they were to be moving into a higher price range for their houses in this last episode. One of the things I enjoyed about this show was (what I thought was) the basic premise: fix up houses that desperately need help to improve neglected neighborhoods and sell them at a reasonable price for first time home buyers.

If we do get a season 2, I hope they stick with houses that need their help. And that they dedicate the time they wasted showing us the shopping cart, attempts at cooking, etc. this season to more home improvement related behind the scenes. More details on meeting codes and who they're hiring as support would be a better use of that time.

14 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

They really go overboard with curtains and drapes They are much too big for the space, it makes the rooms look smaller.

Keith was so excited about the windows next to the Craftsman's fireplace and then he covered them with opaque curtains. 

Did they mention selling the Craftsman?

I wish HGTV would post pictures. It would be nice to go back and look at some before and after shots. 

• Like 5

On 6/10/2021 at 3:11 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Since the 5 minute preview after this episode listed it as running next Wednesday, then I guess this was the season finale.   

It was not a surprise that they stayed in the last house.  'We can do higher end finishes' was a total ploy.    They did a lovely job on the last house, and I wish they did the same elegant esthetic on the other flips they do.   I don't like the over-the-top design on the other houses this season. 

Yep.  It is insulting to think the poor  want to live in those other weirdo  designs when they wouldn't live in them themselves., like a headboard full of branches, a room completely color blocked, spray painted gold cabinets, and on and on. They hurt their credibility.  They can make nice designs without making them cringe worthy.

Edited by justdoit10
  • Like 10

On 6/11/2021 at 11:18 PM, Motor City said:

FYI:

From WXYZ (ABC) Detroit:

Nice to hear from one of the neighbors in this but it's weird timing considering the finale just aired and HGTV hasn't said anything about a season 2 (yet).

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

21 hours ago, justdoit10 said:

Yep.  It is insulting to think the poor  want to live in those other weirdo  designs when they wouldn't live in them themselves.,

Well, they sold almost all of them, so someone liked them.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Well, they sold almost all of them, so someone liked them.

Or someone was so desperate to find something under $100k that wouldn't fall down on them while they slept. 

• Like 5

On 6/12/2021 at 8:50 AM, justdoit10 said:

Yep.  It is insulting to think the poor  want to live in those other weirdo  designs when they wouldn't live in them themselves.

If I made minimum wages and I was able to get a fully furnished place as a starter home, there would be a lot I'd overlook.  Paint can be changed, geegaws removed.  But a house with functioning electric, plumbing, and appliances is a dream for a lot of people in that area.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

If I made minimum wages and I was able to get a fully furnished place as a starter home, there would be a lot I'd overlook.  

You mean if you worked 3 minimum wage jobs..... 

• Like 3

On 6/12/2021 at 5:50 AM, justdoit10 said:

Yep.  It is insulting to think the poor  want to live in those other weirdo  designs when they wouldn't live in them themselves., like a headboard full of branches, a room completely color blocked, spray painted gold cabinets, and on and on. They hurt their credibility.  They can make nice designs without making them cringe worthy.

If the guy is an artist...he's an ARTIST!--not the norm.  He purchased the properties and is achieving his dream--his way, which seems unique and successful. Unique enough to get his own television show. It took decades for him to reach this point. Every home seems to sell and the neighbors are happy with the improvements.  (I sound like his mom.)

• Like 1

I would love to get some follow up on what the houses look like after the new owners have moved in. Do they immediately have a garage sale and redecorate? Is any of the "art" worth something?

I'd also like to know more about who the new owners are. A report was just released that found Black homebuyers in metro Detroit were twice as likely to be denied mortgages compared to white homebuyers. Not the focus of the show, of course, but it might be good to highlight things like that. How difficult is it to get a mortgage in that neighborhood for a house at those low prices. Are the BB houses mostly being bought by white people? Based on what I could find on zillow (which I know isn't necessarily accurate), some of the sales mentioned on the show fell through. What happened there?

Basically, I really want a behind the scenes, after-show where they focus on the nuts and bolts and not the design and relationship stuff.

• Like 5