Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: New Blood

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing on April 18, 2021:

When Professor Fiona Ryan’s car window is smashed following a series of mysterious notes, Nolan volunteers to guard her house overnight. Lucy notices that Tim is being much nicer to his new boot than he was with her and she does not like it.

Hi, new recruits...

Uh...bye, new recruits...?

"Bizarro World John Nolan..." Hilarious.

So, at first I thought they were setting the teacher up for a romance with Nolan. Then I thought it was the activist guy, until he asked out Harper..but now it looks like Nolan again?

And holy smokes, the coming attractions for next week. Long-time Bones fan, so this should be interesting.

The show is totally messing with us with Chen/Bradford. They know exactly what they're doing.

And Tim's Bridesman duties are still fantastic. It's so great to see him just be funny. And so glad Mom isn't an uptight jerk. She's a lonely woman who was a bit overzealous. I love that she's welcoming Lopez into the family. 

• Love 20
2 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

And so glad Mom isn't an uptight jerk. She's a lonely woman who was a bit overzealous. I love that she's welcoming Lopez into the family. 

Yes. And also nice that Lopez is not only not a Bridezilla and not a stereotypical “emotional” Latinx, but Lopez extended the first olive branch to her equally not stereotypical mother-in-law. 
I like to think Nathan Fillion had some influence in this plot outcome even if IRL he was watching old Star Trek episodes while on his Pelaton-esque exercise equipment, while the writers were toiling away over Zoom.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I didn't understand the point of bringing on two new boots only have them gone by the end.

Maybe a reason to get Bradford:

• Transferred to a station that needs a T.O.
  • Transferred to the Academy  
  • Useful 1

I loved the very brief appearance of Greg Grunberg, and him totally fanboying over Nolan.  I knew he would be gone by the end of the episode (we would have heard if he were a new regular cast member), but I didn't expect him to last only 5 minutes!  I didn't expect the exit of the other boot so soon, but it makes sense because we really don't need another cast member and there would be no way to not regularly show Bradford's new boot.  Also, I'm glad they're making Bradford less hard-ass one-dimensional TO, but the pendulum seemed to swing a bit too far the other way for it to be believable for me. 

Lopez - I would really like to see more of her in detective mode and less bride mode.  The only thing I like about the wedding planning plot line is getting to see Bradford in bridesman mode.  Everything else is boring. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, paigow said:

hundreds of assault rifle rounds exchanged at close range with 0 hits by the bad guys.

That's one of my pet peeves about TV writing. The bad guys can spray hundreds of bullets in the right direction leaving bullet holes every inch or so in the background scenery, yet somehow always just happen to miss the people they were trying to hit. 

• Love 4

Damn I liked Barnes!  I was upset she left at the end.  We never even got to see anything with the guy who shot the glass out.

The show is called The Rookie so I would think they should give us more...you know...rookies?

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Who played Barnes?
I really liked her. I wish she had stayed

Her name is Katy O'Brian. It seems she's also a martial artist IRL too.

Edited by Surrealist
3 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Damn I liked Barnes!  I was upset she left at the end.  We never even got to see anything with the guy who shot the glass out.

The show is called The Rookie so I would think they should give us more...you know...rookies?

I liked her too. I thought she would be a worthy addition. Her storyline could have been both instructive and interesting. They did give her a reasonable out, though. Greg Gruenberg was not, it seems beyond belief that he'd graduate from the academy.

Lack of hitting targets aside, I thought this was a (sorry) bang up episode. There was tension, humor, and some feel good stuff. So glad the mil is a decent person and she and Lopez were able to talk things out. I like seeing a different side of Bradford when he's helping her out.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I really liked Barnes too.  She had a good storyline and it would have been nice to see her character develop throughout the season(s).  

She would have finished her rookie year and immediately be recruited by SWAT.

• Love 6

Very good episode last night but as usual I find the Nolan stories the least entertaining for me.  

Bradford continues to my favorite character by far and I hope they continue to give him more interesting storylines.  As others have mentioned, I really hope they bring back Barnes and keep her with Bradford.  Knowing the actress has some serious real life fighting skills, I would expect the writers to incorporate that into the show at one point. 

Boo to Badger being fired so quickly.  A missed the opportunity for a Smitty & Badger team-up.  Come on writers ... gold 😀

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Good episode overall

I could swear Nolan’s professor had a British accent before, but maybe I’m just remembering the actress using a British accent in a previous role. Does the actress normally have a British accent?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Good episode overall

I could swear Nolan’s professor had a British accent before, but maybe I’m just remembering the actress using a British accent in a previous role. Does the actress normally have a British accent?

Toks has a British accent in real life.  I believe she talked with her real accent when she appeared in Castle, but on the Rookie, she's always spoke with an American accent.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

A missed the opportunity for a Smitty & Badger team-up.  Come on writers ... gold 😀

Who would die first? Smitty or an innocent bystander?

• LOL 4
23 hours ago, Driad said:

How long is the police academy course? 

I was wondering more about what type of physical fitness tests they had to pass.  At least Nolan looks like a middle aged guy who could pass a fitness test.  Grunberg's character, not so much. (and that's not a slam on the actor, whom I normally like very much.)  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I think the show should just be Bradford training a new rookie who quits in every episode. 

Bradford's rookies could be this show's version off Murphy Brown's secretaries. 

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Bradford's rookies could be this show's version off Murphy Brown's secretaries. 

How about:

Bradford's rookies couldn't find their way to the Emerald City if Bradford told them to take the Yellow Brick Road.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2021 at 9:29 PM, Driad said:

How long is the police academy course?  If it is graduating people who then wash out in their first few days as rookies, the academy is not doing a good job.

I will give the academy a break here. I know many combat arms vets who were washed out in the psychological assessment phase before training during the past 15 years or so. And on The Rookie the cops get into more firefights then deployed infantrymen.

Seeing as the Sergeant also wanted to bounce Nolan on the first day having no mercy for an accidental discharge and no Captain to protect the Boot.

Did anyone else start getting the after commercial breaks subtitle "filmed before recent COVID protocols"? Los Angeles County may have had among the most intense American protocols in place but I can't think of any spike that would account for needing to tell the audience we did this before. Maybe ABC has been getting complaints even after the real crime episode paced the series in 2019.

9 minutes ago, Raja said:

I will give the academy a break here. I know many combat arms vets who were washed out in the psychological assessment phase before training during the past 15 years or so. And on The Rookie the cops get into more firefights then deployed infantrymen.

Seeing as the Sergeant also wanted to bounce Nolan on the first day having no mercy for an accidental discharge and no Captain to protect the Boot.

Did anyone else start getting the after commercial breaks subtitle "filmed before recent COVID protocols"? Los Angeles County may have had among the most intense American protocols in place but I can't think of any spike that would account for needing to tell the audience we did this before. Maybe ABC has been getting complaints even after the real crime episode paced the series in 2019.

I would like to see such comments for a lot of shows rather random mask wearing.
They could also just have something like: This show does not demonstrate COVID protocols.

16 hours ago, paigow said:

She would have finished her rookie year and immediately be recruited by SWAT.

SWAT is far too military for her.

19 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Her name is Katy O'Brian. It seems she's also a martial artist IRL too.

I liked her as George in the last season(s) of Z Nation.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JH Lipton said:

SWAT is far too military for her.

I liked her as George in the last season(s) of Z Nation.

I thought that's where I saw her. I only watched one episode, but she stood out. Too bad, she'd be a great addition to the cast.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Sake614 said:

A candidate must not exceed the current body fat percentage standard. The current standard is: Female 30% and Male 22%.

https://www.joinlapd.com/step-5-medical-evaluation

The American Council on Exercise has the following [Non Age Specific] body fat standards for women.

LAPD is not an outlier. 

Category        Percentage

Essential fat    10-13%

Athletes           14-20%

Fitness              21-24%

Acceptable        25-31%

Obesity            >32%

• Love 1
3 hours ago, paigow said:

The American Council on Exercise has the following [Non Age Specific] body fat standards for women.

LAPD is not an outlier. 

Category        Percentage

Essential fat    10-13%

Athletes           14-20%

Fitness              21-24%

Acceptable        25-31%

Obesity            >32%

Let’s compare to men

Description men

Essential Fat 2-5%

Athletes 6-13%

Fitness 14-17%

Acceptable 18-24%

Obesity>25%

10 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Because: Equality.

So yes equality. 

7 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Yeah 30% body fat is WAY too high for a would-be cop. 

for a man yes. Women are generally allowed a higher body fat percentage because of things men don’t have or are different, you know like breasts and hips. 

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 5
36 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

Women are generally allowed a higher body fat percentage because of things men don’t have or are different, you know like breasts and hips

No reason they should be satisfied with a lower wage for the same reasons, though, right?

4 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

No reason they should be satisfied with a lower wage for the same reasons, though, right?

What does biological/physical differences have to do with wages?  That is ridiculous. A male doctor should not be paid more for the same work with equal qualifications.  A male cop should not be paid more than a female for doing the same job.  Should they have to equal fitness levels, sure but if you look at the two charts, the body fat percentages, while not the same exact numbers are equal because of the additional fat that women carry because of breasts and rounded hips.  

so no they should not be satisfied with lower wages. 

• Love 9

So with Henry passing out at the end of the episode - all of us are thinking the same thing, right? That he is going to end up having cancer?

My mom and I turned to each other when he was about to pass out and both said "So, he's gonna pass out, and he's gonna end up having cancer, right? Because passing out either means cancer or he's somehow overworked after one day at work, there's no in between with shows like this."

If it's cancer, I am gonna guess he has leukemia - and if they specify a type, I am going to guess Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, and he'll need a BMT and Nolan won't be a match, so he'll feel torn over not being able to help his son.

• Love 1

Henry was born with severe heart problems that were surgically corrected. Possibly, he now needs a transplant or other major surgery.

Edited by paigow
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, bros402 said:

So with Henry passing out at the end of the episode - all of us are thinking the same thing, right? That he is going to end up having cancer?

My mom and I turned to each other when he was about to pass out and both said "So, he's gonna pass out, and he's gonna end up having cancer, right? Because passing out either means cancer or he's somehow overworked after one day at work, there's no in between with shows like this."

If it's cancer, I am gonna guess he has leukemia - and if they specify a type, I am going to guess Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, and he'll need a BMT and Nolan won't be a match, so he'll feel torn over not being able to help his son.

If Henry was a daughter, Henrietta, I would say she was pregnant because women passing out on tv are always pregnant lol.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

If Henry was a daughter, Henrietta, I would say she was pregnant because women passing out on tv are always pregnant lol.

Or throwing up. Goodness knows a woman on tv never has a simple case of food poisoning or stomach flu.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, paigow said:

Henry was born with severe heart problems that were surgically corrected. Possibly, he now needs a transplant or other major surgery.

Yeah, I immediately thought of his heart defect. I was born with one (patent foramen ovale) but it wasn't discovered until I had a stroke in my twenties. So, that is where my head went. Mild strokes aka TIAs can be like migraines so the visual blurring would make sense.  I take this all back if Henry dies.  No parallels to me. Nope!

• Love 3
23 hours ago, paigow said:

I forgot all about those heart problems.

It'll probably end up being him needing a transplant

then in season 20 of The Rookie, he'll end up having cancer from the anti-rejection drugs!

although if he needs a transplant, the odds are close to 100 that Nolan responds to the scene of an accident where he has to stay with a person while firefighters come to rescue them, he gets attached to the person, then they die and the heart ends up going to Henry, right?

• Love 1
On 4/19/2021 at 3:18 AM, shapeshifter said:

Yes. And also nice that Lopez is not only not a Bridezilla and not a stereotypical “emotional” Latinx, but Lopez extended the first olive branch to her equally not stereotypical mother-in-law. 
I like to think Nathan Fillion had some influence in this plot outcome even if IRL he was watching old Star Trek episodes while on his Pelaton-esque exercise equipment, while the writers were toiling away over Zoom.

HAHA. I talked to someone on FB who said she has a friend who works on the show. She says he's really cool, which I'm glad to find out.

There are so many shows with ensemble casts that don't take the time to explore the characters or go against stereotypes. Yes, Lopez isn't treating her wedding like it's the most important day of her life, but just that she wants it her way. 

Mom not having a stick up her butt is such a welcome departure. This could have turned into a bitchslap fest, and instead, it's opening up the characters and giving us some of the best Tim scenes. 

Nathan being willing to share the spotlight is great.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Grammaeryn said:
On 4/21/2021 at 2:05 AM, paigow said:

Yeah, I immediately thought of his heart defect. I was born with one (patent foramen ovale) but it wasn't discovered until I had a stroke in my twenties. So, that is where my head went. Mild strokes aka TIAs can be like migraines so the visual blurring would make sense.  I take this all back if Henry dies.  No parallels to me. Nope

I doubt most viewers remembered Henry’s congenital heart defect, so it seems if that’s what’s happening, they should have had it mentioned in a recent bit of dialogue. 

• Love 1