Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Chasing Waterfalls

Airing on April 19, 2021:

Mark and Sam think their "Romeo and Juliet"-style murder case of warring families is a slam dunk until their lead witness is proven to be lying under oath to protect the real eyewitness of a relative's murder. Also, Amy is furious with Mark after a secret is revealed and decides they need time apart.

Emily does have a nice house for a PD. I didn’t think they made much. I forgot all about her new boyfriend, to be honest; I didn’t think we were supposed to take him that seriously. I still don’t really understand the breakup, who the “them” was that Luke was standing with.

Sherry’s version of “fuck around and find out” made me laugh. “Oh, you hadn’t heard?” I guess he’s a new love interest? What happened to the previous one? It’s cute seeing her flustered. And as someone who has been single during this pandemic, I get it. One of my goals for 2020 was to focus more on my love life. We plan, God laughs.

So is Amy just not going to tell Mark that she’s married? Did we forget that?

Edited by Empress1
Changed he’s to she’s
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

So is Amy just not going to tell Mark that he’s married? Did we forget that?

Right?  I got a short news interruption when Mark returned home so I missed the fight but I could tell that whole part was clearly skipped because i doubt Mark would be proposing.

And Lola was weirdly defensive.   She did screw up.  If she made a deliberate choice to tell Amy, that would be one thing, but she didn't.   It was an accident because she thought Amy knew. 

I did like the Robin and Mark scenes though.  I enjoy their side friendship. 

Emily roller skating around the house...yuck. 

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Emily does have a nice house for a PD. I didn’t think they made much. I forgot all about her new boyfriend, to be honest; I didn’t think we were supposed to take him that seriously. I still don’t really understand the breakup, who the “them” was that Luke was standing with.

Sherry’s version of “fuck around and find out” made me laugh. “Oh, you hadn’t heard?” I guess he’s a new love interest? What happened to the previous one? It’s cute seeing her flustered. And as someone who has been single during this pandemic, I get it. One of my goals for 2020 was to focus more on my love life. We plan, God laughs.

So is Amy just not going to tell Mark that he’s married? Did we forget that?

This was the first time I felt chemistry between Luke and Emily. I found their previous relationship unbelievable on an emotional level. 

Same thing with Robin. He and Lola were cute this episode. 

But yeah, Amy. Let Mark grovel and apologize but never admit your own betrayal. I can’t wait to see how this plays out. I don’t like her much, but Mark does. So I’ll root for them to work it out. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, topanga said:

This was the first time I felt chemistry between Luke and Emily.

Oh, I always thought they were hot together (they’re both really good-looking); I just got tired of her kind of half stepping and not being ready. She comes by her issues honestly, but after a certain point, if I’m Luke, I’m going to give her the same “I want to feel safe to fall in love” speech that Sam gave Luke. (To be fair, I think he did tell Emily he didn’t feel love from her after he said he loved her first.) Luke has always seemed more all-in than Emily.

• Love 2

The air purifier story line puzzled me because ordering anything for a workplace involves paperwork (purchase order etc.).  If I thought someone had received my order and tried to keep it, I would have my paperwork in my hand and ask to see theirs.

• Love 2

I honestly don't get what the big deal is about the kiss. I mean, yes, talk it out and find out what it does or doesn't mean. But it's not like they had a full on affair. I think Amy is insecure and blustering because she has her own secret to confess and this gives her an out. I understand she's worried-- it could be a huge mess or betrayal. But it doesn't HAVE TO be. Part of trust is being able to tell your partner something without them going apeshit and not listening.

Mark was incredibly stupid, though, in his reaction to Luke. He has no fucking clue what Luke is dealing with and doesn't want to know, he just wants to ignore all that and act like this is simple. So Amy doesn't listen to Mark, Mark doesn't listen to Luke, and I guess.

Emily was right about Luke not talking to her, though, and about not wanting to just go back to what they had before. It ended for a reason and they have to deal with that if they are in fact going to have a functional relationship.

In answer to a question asked upthread: I think Luke was saying he was standing with the police, not the protesters, when he said he was standing "with them" and not with Emily the night he broke up with her.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

In answer to a question asked upthread: I think Luke was saying he was standing with the police, not the protesters, when he said he was standing "with them" and not with Emily the night he broke up with her.

I thought he was saying he wasn't with the public defenders' side (traditionally not "friends" of the police), because of that picture of Luke and Emily kissing that everybody saw.

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I honestly don't get what the big deal is about the kiss. I mean, yes, talk it out and find out what it does or doesn't mean. But it's not like they had a full on affair. I think Amy is insecure and blustering because she has her own secret to confess and this gives her an out.

I think I would be more upset to learn that my boyfriend was married, even if they're estranged, than to learn that my boyfriend kissed his friend, particularly if the kiss was initiated by the friend. (I would be more upset at the friend - Amy and Rachel have to have a conversation.) I don't understand why Amy doesn't just say "I'm legally still married but we're estranged and I'm getting a divorce." She should have said that from the beginning. She should say that to everyone she dates. I have read similar things on dating profiles. Unless the ex presents a safety issue, I don't understand why this is a secret.

• Love 8

Awww Mark's niece! 

I really wish they would just tell us what exactly led to Emily and Luke breaking up, it apparently is something to do with the protests, I guess after they kissed in that alley when Luke chose "Them" over her, whatever that means, but I don't know why we don't know exactly what happened. I don't really care for Luke/Emily as a couple, but I don't mind them as friends. Where is Emily's boyfriend anyway? 

Speaking of randomly disappearing love interests, what happened to Sherry's boyfriend that she had for awhile? I guess he's gone because she has a new love interest, who I do like so far. They seem like a good match, she can appreciate problem solving skills. 

I feel like Lola was being a bit hard on Mark, he clearly made the bigger mistake but she messed up too. Her telling Amy when she didn't know what happened was an accident, but it did certainly make things a lot more awkward. I really liked Robin and Mark getting to hang out though and that Robin had his back the whole time. I like their friendship a lot whenever we get to see it. 

I am glad that other people are wondering when the husband thing will come up with Amy, it seems really weird that she still hasn't brought it up. Even if she and her husband are basically done as a couple, that's still a big thing to keep from a partner, its makes her righteous indignation over the kiss seem a bit hypocritical. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I wonder how Emily can afford that house. Last year she was living with his brother and then sharing a place with Sarah. That suggests she couldn't afford anything great on her own.

6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I think I would be more upset to learn that my boyfriend was married, even if they're estranged, than to learn that my boyfriend kissed his friend, particularly if the kiss was initiated by the friend. (I would be more upset at the friend - Amy and Rachel have to have a conversation.) I don't understand why Amy doesn't just say "I'm legally still married but we're estranged and I'm getting a divorce." She should have said that from the beginning. She should say that to everyone she dates. I have read similar things on dating profiles. Unless the ex presents a safety issue, I don't understand why this is a secret.

Yeah, I don't get why Amy is keeping her marriage a secret. I can understand if maybe she thought it was just a casual fling at first and so waited to tell them, but once she fully moved in with Mark he deserved an explanation. If they are actually over and getting a divorce it shouldn't be a big deal. Now, if she isn't fully done with the husband that could explain her hesitancy to tell Mark, but then she doesn't get to rage at him for a kiss.

• Love 3

This show is in a full-blown sophomore slump IMO, and I'm not sure if it's only because of the way they've chosen to handle Covid. I find the plotlines hard to follow, and the lack of continuity on the personal storylines leaves holes big enough to drive a truck through. Some formerly likeable characters are unlikeable this season. The show tends to languish on our DVR for days and then it feels like a chore to watch. I have one foot out the door, but will wait and see if Lola being back at work makes any difference. 

14 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

This show is in a full-blown sophomore slump IMO, and I'm not sure if it's only because of the way they've chosen to handle Covid. I find the plotlines hard to follow, and the lack of continuity on the personal storylines leaves holes big enough to drive a truck through. Some formerly likeable characters are unlikeable this season. The show tends to languish on our DVR for days and then it feels like a chore to watch. I have one foot out the door, but will wait and see if Lola being back at work makes any difference. 

A lot of writers that probably made the first season so good left the show due to the creator's behavior. I'm hoping now that he's been booted they may be able make changes and hire better writers again. Admittedly I've wondered if there are people still left that helped him foster the environment he created BTS.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 4/23/2021 at 4:41 PM, Jaded said:

A lot of writers that probably made the first season so good left the show due to the creator's behavior. I'm hoping now that he's been booted they may be able make changes and hire better writers again. Admittedly I've wondered if there are people still left that helped him foster the environment he created BTS.  

Good point. I have seen headlines about this situation but haven't read what happened. And I'd forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder.

15 hours ago, jabRI said:

And I don't get how Sarah is now a math tutor?  Where did that come from and what does it add to the storyline?

It was odd. I kept thinking that little twist would have made more sense during the lockdown episodes, when we saw Sara driving Uber to make money because the courthouse was shut down. That would have been a perfect time to  have her tutoring online as another money-making necessity. I can only guess that more is going to come this development somehow. Maybe Sarah and the mom will become good friends, making Benner jealous, or something like that. 

15 hours ago, jabRI said:

Where did that come from and what does it add to the storyline?

Girl had a bruise that was explained away with a lame story. My guess, she will turn out to be abused (shocker! judges can be abusive parents) and Sara will have to step in, maybe even becoming a foster mother. At least, I think that's what storyline it's leading to.

• Useful 1
On 4/20/2021 at 5:42 PM, Empress1 said:

I don't understand why Amy doesn't just say "I'm legally still married but we're estranged and I'm getting a divorce."

I feel like this omission/lie is going to be used as the reason to paint her as the baddie in their eventual split. I don't see this relationship lasting past the season given the writers lost interest in Amy the minute they made her a regular. I just think they want to generate interest/tension between Mark/Rachel but don't want Mark to be fully the bad guy so having Amy lie will hopefully distract the audience from the fact that he and Rachel are behaving pretty sucky.

• Love 2

I don't understand Emily or her motivations.  I don't think therapy is particularly working for her.  I don't think when  her therapist said something like break old habits, she meant no longer being friends with Sara (never see them talking anymore) or not getting back with Luke if you can get past your yet unspoken reasons for breaking up in the first place.  He had a much better, more relaxed and adult relationship with Sam.  He seems very tense around Emily, but then everybody is!

• Love 3