Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: A Smashing Good Time

• Start Topic

On 4/22/2021 at 11:19 PM, Megan said:

I will not like it if it turns out that Mallory is gay and had a thing for Jeanette and/or Kate and that's why Mallory is being vindictive.

Especially since Vincent is also into Jeanette. Jeanette is kind of stupid and a mush mouth in 93-94.

Also, just like Kate I was born in 79, Jeanette is such an old fashioned name choice. My friends had Moms called Jeanette. She should have been Jennifer at minimum, or Becky or Kelly. Or really and it pains me, maybe even a Megan. ETA: Should have been Jessica!

As a Jessica from that time period you are correct and I’m glad they didn’t.  Don’t need more trauma from those years !!!!  Class of 95 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I just started watching, and I don't even know if anyone is still reading these earlier threads, but here goes anyway...

On 4/21/2021 at 2:18 PM, Jx223 said:

I also wonder what is the story behind Kate having Jeanette's necklace.

I was all set to believe Kate until she said to the cops that she could prove her accusation about Jeanette, and then said, "If she wasn't there, how would I have this?"  Well, as this thread indicated, there are many other ways she could have gotten that necklace, so her over-insistence makes me think she is compensating for it not being the truth.

On 4/21/2021 at 3:18 PM, tennisgurl said:

I could buy that Kate saw someone but it wasn't Jeanette, or that she is lying out of bitterness that Jeanette stole her life, or even that she is totally telling the truth and Jeanette did see her and leave her there to keep her new shiny life.

So here's what I am wondering timeline-wise...when Kate gave the interview on the TV show (I think that was in the previous episode), it was very shortly after being rescued, but I don't recall exactly how long they said it had been.  And when she was with Jamie in her bedroom and he then got the pager notification, and Kate saw him in the park kissing Jeanette, they also said how long it had been, but I don't recall.  What I am trying to figure out, is whether she did the interview before having a chance to really know how much Jeanette had stolen her life, thus increasing the chance that she is telling the truth...or was the interview after the kiss in the park, thus increasing the chance that she could have been lying in the interview and trying to get revenge.

On 4/21/2021 at 6:00 PM, Jx223 said:

And he does seem to be concerned for her and is trying to help her make a case for herself, by trying to make sure that she meets with her lawyers. 

The dad specifically mentioned on Jeanette's birthday about multiple lawyers...where the hell did he get the money to pay so many lawyers, and it sounds like the lawyers have been putting in quite a bit of time.  Lawyers are expensive AF.

Edited by LuvMyShows
  • Love 4
On 4/21/2021 at 2:18 PM, Jx223 said:

He came across as very violent and then we see him sitting outside of the car in '95 with a gun. 

My thought about him in the car, since IIRC it's in the '95 episodes after Jeanette has cut her hair, is that he realizes she was telling the truth after all, but now she won't agree to see him, and he wants to apologize for not believing her.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I just started watching, and I don't even know if anyone is still reading these earlier threads, but here goes anyway...

I was all set to believe Kate until she said to the cops that she could prove her accusation about Jeanette, and then said, "If she wasn't there, how would I have this?"  Well, as this thread indicated, there are many other ways she could have gotten that necklace, so her over-insistence makes me think she is compensating for it not being the truth.

So here's what I am wondering timeline-wise...when Kate gave the interview on the TV show (I think that was in the previous episode), it was very shortly after being rescued, but I don't recall exactly how long they said it had been.  And when she was with Jamie in her bedroom and he then got the pager notification, and Kate saw him in the park kissing Jeanette, they also said how long it had been, but I don't recall.  What I am trying to figure out, is whether she did the interview before having a chance to really know how much Jeanette had stolen her life, thus increasing the chance that she is telling the truth...or was the interview after the kiss in the park, thus increasing the chance that she could have been lying in the interview and trying to get revenge.

The dad specifically mentioned on Jeanette's birthday about multiple lawyers...where the hell did he get the money to pay so many lawyers, and it sounds like the lawyers have been putting in quite a bit of time.  Lawyers are expensive AF.

I can't remember if the last part was addressed. I wonder if the lawyers may have come to them, because it would be publicity for them. 

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

This episode is June 26, 5 days after the Jeanette's birthday 4 days after everyone learns Kate has been found (E1 starts on 6/21, but covers 2 days). I'm assuming the gunshot we heard the evening of 6/21/94 was Martin dying (killing himself?) when Kate was found.  

Kate hasn't given the interview yet at this point in 1994.  The clip of the interview shown in Episode 1 was a recording of the interview Jeanette was watching in 1995. 

14 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Hey!  We're worth it! In any case, plaintiff's counsel frequently work on "contingency" which means they only get fees as a percentage of the damages awarded if the case is successful. I don't know if that is true of defamation cases; but that is often how civil tort cases  work.  I'm not saying that is the case here.  But it could be.  It may also be, as suggested above, a pro bono case or reduced fees because of potential publicity.  Though, this one could go either way with that. Whatever, I don't do plaintiff work. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2