Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Zoey’s Extraordinary Girls’ Night

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

by the end it seemed like Emily herself had decided she needed some professional help; it wasn’t Zoey’s interventions that led her to that conclusion

I think the talk they had in the bedroom after they got home from clubbing is what convinced Emily she needed professional help.

Emily: I'm sorry you had to witness another one of my breakdowns.
Zoey: Please don't be sorry. You've been trying to handle this alone for too long. So can we please talk about what's going on?
Emily: I've been going through these bouts of anxiety and depression for a while now. I thought it was baby blues which passes after a few weeks. When it didn't, I figured when Miles starts sleeping through the night or when I went back to work I'd feel better. But it just got worse. I can't sleep when Miles is asleep. I can't focus when I'm not home with him, but then when I am home with him I just want to cry or run away cause I can't help but think he'd be better off without me.
Zoey: I'm so sorry to hear that but, no, you're a great mom and Miles is lucky to have you.
Emily: I know that logically, but I don't feel that. You know, when you have a baby, it's like your body becomes this machine and when it short circuits, just...
Zoey: Have you talked about this with your doctor? What about David?
Emily: You guys just lost your dad. David's still mourning and I feel weird or selfish talking about my own stuff right now. He's got enough to worry about.
Zoey: He's your husband and he loves you. And you have the right to feel the way you're feeling, too.
Emily: I've just been able conquer anything I put my mind to, you know? I should be able to get over this.
Zoey: I so understand feeling that way. But here's the thing. Maybe some problems are too big for us to handle on our own.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, topanga said:

I thought Zoey was going to question Simon about his code-switching. When he was coaching/yelling at his cousin, he definitely used a more “black voice.” Loved that scene. 

I don't think Zoey is observant enough to pick up on it, and if she did, I'm not sure if she would care. 

1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

Just because her superpower gives her insight into how the people around her are feeling, doesn’t give her the right to go meddling in their lives, not to mention usually being pushy about it.

The series has established that once she hears a heart song, if she avoids trying to solve the problem, she hears the song everywhere. It's kind of like Quantum Leap. If Sam doesn't complete his mission, he stays where he is and never leaps out into the next case. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, D Angel said:

If it is a "cliffhanger", it's going to have to be something deeper than simply Zoey finally telling her boyfriend the truth. After all, she hasn't told anyone in her family yet, and she's clearly closer to them than to Simon.  A more likely cliffhanger to get people intrigued for the entirety of S3 (if it happens) would be Zoey meeting someone else with a superpower and a fuller understanding of what Zoey's dealing with. I'd expect either a potential mentor or pier.

My "place bets" question is: Does anyone think they will take the plot more in the direction of M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable, which carries a similar theme and premise of a seemingly regular person realizing they have a superpower? IMO it's his best film and, in a rare case for me, did not see the twist at the end coming.

Someone whose superpower is seeing people express their feelings through dance!

Unbreakable was such a cool movie

7 hours ago, Trini said:

Another idea: What if the power transfers to someone else?

They should do that for a glitch episode in a season 3.

Mo would be the one we expect for it, since he was the first one told about the power, so who wouldn't we expect? Simon? Maggie? Max? Tobin or Leif?

• Love 3
16 hours ago, bros402 said:

Mo would be the one we expect for it, since he was the first one told about the power, so who wouldn't we expect? Simon? Maggie? Max? Tobin or Leif?

I love the idea of a season 3 episode where a glitch occurs and another character has her power for an episode. I think Max would have the most emotional impact since he seems to be having the most difficult understanding her powers and how they work. Maybe after he lives with them he will have a better sense of how they work and what she lives with everyday. If she hasn't told Simon yet, a glitch would be a rather dramatic way for him to discover her powers and how they work.  

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I love the idea of a season 3 episode where a glitch occurs and another character has her power for an episode. I think Max would have the most emotional impact since he seems to be having the most difficult understanding her powers and how they work. Maybe after he lives with them he will have a better sense of how they work and what she lives with everyday. If she hasn't told Simon yet, a glitch would be a rather dramatic way for him to discover her powers and how they work.  

Maybe Max has an MRI and Zoey takes him, another earthquake happens, Zoey gets knocked out, Max has the power for the episode, then Zoey gets an MRI at the end of the episode, another earthquake, boom, her power is back.

What if the power transfers to someone else?

My only issue with this is that if it went on for more than a single episode (like if it went on for a whole season) then we would lose that actor as a regular singer and the only cast member I'm willing to do that for is probably Mary Steenburgen. She is a wonderful actress so she would do great with that storyline and she's the weakest singer of the main cast now that Lauren Graham is gone so that would be a win-win. But plotwise, I feel like it would be better to have Max or Simon be the one who gets Zoey's power.

• Love 2
On 4/20/2021 at 5:55 PM, Trini said:

Another idea: What if the power transfers to someone else?

I could find a transfer of Zoey’s super power satisfying if it left room for the  interpretation of Zoey’s superpower being in her mind ––which it kind of is.

But if the show’s renewed, I think Zoey’s superpower should be transformed ( with help from her therapist) into imaginary interpretations Zoey is having of emotions she sees in others that she has shut down in herself. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My only issue with this is that if it went on for more than a single episode (like if it went on for a whole season) then we would lose that actor as a regular singer and the only cast member I'm willing to do that for is probably Mary Steenburgen. She is a wonderful actress so she would do great with that storyline and she's the weakest singer of the main cast now that Lauren Graham is gone so that would be a win-win. But plotwise, I feel like it would be better to have Max or Simon be the one who gets Zoey's power.

I think it would be just for one episode, like the one episode were Zoey was singing her thoughts and feelings outloud, or the episode this season where people's songs were getting switched. 

• Love 1
On 4/19/2021 at 3:15 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I didn't love this episode.  I think I'm just falling out of like with this show in general.  Mo is still the one shining star. 

There's just something off about both of the main relationships - Simon and Zoey, and Rose and Max.  Simon just seems too... mature?  Sophisticated? Worldly? for Zoey.  I'm not sure what exactly it is, but they don't mesh for me.  And maybe I can't seem to care about Max and Rose because I know absolutely nothing about Rose?  She's been forced on us with only one small piece of personal info, she's proud of her sobriety.  That's great and all, but it doesn't make her interesting enough to care about.  The only thing I can say about her is that I like her hair.

I hope that Maggie doesn't become addicted to gambling.  I'm not quite sure what that ending meant.     

This. This is how I feel as well. I’m not happy about how they seem to have hand-waved away her soul crushing, gut wrenching, paralyzing grief. What? One day she’s having nightmares and can’t sleep then next day poof, she’s all better? Simon is IN love with her. All the way in...and she’s so damn distant! And how she got time to do this stuff when supposedly she’s freakin running the entire freaking show at work??? 

I’m sorry but, if this on-the-bubble-show pops? I will not be sad. Hate to say it but this season sucks. 
Works  better when it’s not-so-many side-plots. It’s dragging the energy from the show. 
Didn’t even bother to rewatch this one...Emily’s storyline should’ve been heartbreaking but it was just meh in the end...something’s missing. Did they switch out writers,producers, something? Cause this ain’t it, Chief. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If they do it for Mary Steenburgen, then she'd be playing her real life...almost.

14 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

This. This is how I feel as well. I’m not happy about how they seem to have hand-waved away her soul crushing, gut wrenching, paralyzing grief. What? One day she’s having nightmares and can’t sleep then next day poof, she’s all better? Simon is IN love with her. All the way in...and she’s so damn distant! And how she got time to do this stuff when supposedly she’s freakin running the entire freaking show at work??? 

I’m sorry but, if this on-the-bubble-show pops? I will not be sad. Hate to say it but this season sucks. 
Works  better when it’s not-so-many side-plots. It’s dragging the energy from the show. 
Didn’t even bother to rewatch this one...Emily’s storyline should’ve been heartbreaking but it was just meh in the end...something’s missing. Did they switch out writers,producers, something? Cause this ain’t it, Chief. 

Maybe Zoey is going to tackle her grief with the therapist, too - she might just be internalizing it.

I am hoping that if this gets renewed, it ends up that this season was the classic sophomore slump that shows that had a great first season have.

looks like same producers, but different directors, and some new writers.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, bros402 said:

I am hoping that if this gets renewed, it ends up that this season was the classic sophomore slump that shows that had a great first season have.

I only thought the first couple of episodes of this season were a little rough because of having to choreograph in the midst of a pandemic. The last few have been back up to first season quality, IMO. 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I only thought the first couple of episodes of this season were a little rough because of having to choreograph in the midst of a pandemic. The last few have been back up to first season quality, IMO. 

I agree - or mostly agree because I’ve really enjoyed the last few episodes, as well, but the first season had Mitch, and I don’t think anything can quite live up to that heartrending glory.

I’m a little disgruntled with myself because I’m not warming up to Rose at all, and it’s for stupid reasons. Mostly, it’s because the actress played a character I hated in the first season of How to Get Away with Murder. And we’ve seen too little of her to make me invested in her and Max as a couple; they seem more like good friends. I also might have resented her a little at first because I was Team Max for quite a while, but it took about 30 seconds of Zoey being with Simon before I switched allegiances.

I wonder how well Oscar Nuñez (Zoey’s therapist a.k.a. Oscar from The Office) sings. I googled and found an old commercial in which he plays a singing State Farm Agent and a couple of other references that he likes to sing. Maybe he sings a heart song during one of his sessions with Zoey and realizes that she does have a superpower or at least a sort of repressed empathy that manifests itself in the form of imagined heart songs. 

• Love 4

I know that this is me as nobody else has mentioned it, but it really bothered me when a man walked into Maximos and Max immediately told him he had to leave as he couldn't wear socks with flip-flops in the restaurant. I know they were going for a laugh, but what bothered me was the non-stop story that Maximos would be so inclusive that anyone and everyone would be welcome.  Well, obviously by "inclusive" they mean people who fit their pre-determination of who would be welcome.  Either one is inclusive and accepts everyone or they aren't inclusive.  And, the appearance of someone is the worst reason to exclude them.  Yes, they want to be hip/cool, then that should be their intention, not to be inclusive and then prevent someone from coming because of what they look like/what they wear (and it wasn't a hate message t-shirt or anything).  What's next?  I'm old so I'm not included?  I know I shouldn't let just a little quick cut-a-way scene bother me so, but it so represents what so many people practice in real life: if you're like me or what I deem to be acceptable, then I'll include you...

I don't see the development of Max and Rose because they keep harkening back to the summer camp.  And, remembrances of a then-friendship that was 10 years ago doesn't seem like a strong foundation.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I know that this is me as nobody else has mentioned it, but it really bothered me when a man walked into Maximos and Max immediately told him he had to leave as he couldn't wear socks with flip-flops in the restaurant. I know they were going for a laugh, but what bothered me was the non-stop story that Maximos would be so inclusive that anyone and everyone would be welcome.  Well, obviously by "inclusive" they mean people who fit their pre-determination of who would be welcome.  Either one is inclusive and accepts everyone or they aren't inclusive.  And, the appearance of someone is the worst reason to exclude them.  Yes, they want to be hip/cool, then that should be their intention, not to be inclusive and then prevent someone from coming because of what they look like/what they wear (and it wasn't a hate message t-shirt or anything).  What's next?  I'm old so I'm not included?  I know I shouldn't let just a little quick cut-a-way scene bother me so, but it so represents what so many people practice in real life: if you're like me or what I deem to be acceptable, then I'll include you...

Not just you.
I only barely managed to shrug it off because my father --who would be 97 if he were still alive-- could not tolerate socks with sandals.

22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Me too - but the overall story arc took a bit to establish.

• Love 2
On 4/19/2021 at 3:38 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Seeing Maggie go back made me wonder if she liked the anonymity or if they're going to turn this into a drinking/gambling problem (which is definitely what would happen on a typical night soap opera type show).

On 4/19/2021 at 9:15 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I hope that Maggie doesn't become addicted to gambling.  I'm not quite sure what that ending meant.  

Don't know about drinking, but I would bet that it's going to turn into a gambling problem.

On 4/19/2021 at 9:47 AM, chaifan said:

The song choice for Bernadette Peters.  I don't think it worked well for her, and I hate myself for saying that.

I was also thinking that she sounded hoarse.

On 4/19/2021 at 10:44 AM, Lovecat said:

I kept thinking that the restroom was way too nice for a club!  Of course that doesn't mean it wasn't nasty with germs, but I'm used to club bathrooms with TP on the floor, half-empty drink cups crammed in the trash can, and and, urm, "sprinkles" on the seat.  I guess I never went to fancy-schmancy clubs back in the day :)

Public restrooms generally don't have covers you can put down to sit on while pumping/singing.

On 4/19/2021 at 4:40 PM, D Angel said:

Unless I'm misremembering the opening, it was Simon who was pushing Zoey to be proactive since he was doing exactly that with whoever he was talking to (his brother?) on the phone before they sat down to breakfast. But then he changed his tune to backing off ... perhaps because he no longer had Zoey's undivided attention that he wanted.

Cousin, and yup.  Once Zoey was spending more time on Emily than on him, he changed his tune about coaching.