Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Risky Business

Liza travels to Montauk to help a sexy pro surfer with his memoir. She comes back to the office refreshed. An unexpected adventure with Quinn leaves Kelsey questioning her career. Josh's new love interest gets loud.

Original air date: 4/15/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Anyone else wants a TV show about Quinn and her overblown ego? Show of hands!

I think I might have to go back and rewatch the whole Quinn story, I can't remember what her big beef is with Liza. I only remember h
After years of rolling our eyes at Kelsey banging her clients, are we supposed to cheer for Liza getting it on with the Surf bro? Thats a very Samantha storyline, that is.

Oh Josh, heartbroken over the revelation that his new crush isn't into children. So now he can go back to pining over the other woman who doesn't want his children. I don't think we've seen the last of the cute brunette though.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 5

One thing I haaaate on tv shows is how people get tattoos and then two hours later they have no bandage or covering over it. I don't know anyone in real life who's ever done that!

On the one hand, I like that Quinn chose to do what she wanted to do on her birthday. On the other hand, why didn't she just tell her assistant to plan a party that she really wanted to do. She already takes her team to Dave & Buster's so clearly this is an acceptable work destination, and I'm sure everyone would have enjoyed themselves more than sitting around the Rainbow Room waiting for her late ass to show up.

What sucks so much about Quinn being so calculating is that she has good ideas and she has the ability to sell those ideas without resorting to all the manipulation and mind games. So is her plan to charm Charles, push Liza out, and then somehow take over Empirical? You know Quinn never dreams small so I have a hard time believing that she's just there to get her new book published.

Josh, you've know this woman for like, 48 hours, during which time you banged loudly and did little else. There's no need to get upset that she doesn't like kids because this was probably not going to ever get beyond sex.

I have to admit that I laughed at Kai's penis cloud drawings. I don't know why Liza and Kelsey were acting like there was no book if his journals weren't full of meaningful philosophical ponderings. Liza's earlier idea to have a book of anecdotes from the different locations where he's surfed seemed perfectly reasonable and given how talkative he is, it wouldn't take long to have him sit down with Liza, record a bunch of stories, and shape them into a book. The sex book will definitely sell WAY better though!

• Love 9
On 4/15/2021 at 12:28 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

One thing I haaaate on tv shows is how people get tattoos and then two hours later they have no bandage or covering over it. I don't know anyone in real life who's ever done that!

Seriously and it clearly wasn't even tender, because there she was, banging away with no regard for it! It's an exposed wound!

Honestly I was kind of hoping for Charles and Quinn to get together, but now that she's being a gross schemer about it, they obviously won't. Just another roadblock to yet another Charles/Liza reunion, I assume. How glorious would it be if this series ended without the life partner being the "result."

I guess it's a Me Too story if an unattractive author signed with Empirical propositions Liza, but good if he's hot? I don't know! I really need to toss ideas about professional and appropriate behavior out the window when it comes to this show, I don't know why I bother applying standards.

• Love 8

Can anyone remind me what Quinn offered Kelsey?  If Quinn was going to start some publishing thing up, why didn't she just get someone else besides Kelsey?  And why didn't she have her new whatever publish her book?  Also, after what she did to Charles, he sure appears to have put that aside awful quick in terms of how friendly he is being, especially after how cold he was at the bar in Chicago.

It seemed very odd that even if the board didn't like the Millennial name, it still seems like they would have wanted to keep the imprints separate, especially now with a sex book coming out!

It seemed out of character for Liza to take a swipe at Quinn...she seems to have a much better business/emotion head, since she is constantly having to talk Kelsey down from whatever overwrought emotional business decision Kelsey is preparing to make.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:35 AM, Aulty said:

After years of rolling our eyes at Kelsey banging her clients, are we supposed to cheer for Liza getting it on with the Surf bro? 

Very surprised that there was no discussion, or even internal dialogue with just Liza, about that.  Again, the Liza character we know would have definitely given voice to her post-coital concerns!  I thought Maggie's illustrations were very good but the cover art was too cheesy, and not in a clever retro way, but in more of a cheap looking way.

• Love 5

Anyone else wants a TV show about Quinn and her overblown ego? Show of hands!

LOL, good one!  Cue crickets....

I think I might have to go back and rewatch the whole Quinn story, I can't remember what her big beef is with Liza. I only remember h
After years of rolling our eyes at Kelsey banging her clients, are we supposed to cheer for Liza getting it on with the Surf bro? Thats a very Samantha storyline, that is.

Yeah, no.  Not happening.  No cheering section here.  This entire season seems force-fit to culminate in some sort of pre-determined result, but it isn't believable nor does it feel like it arises organically from previous seasons.  This is not the Liza 6 seasons have led up to.  Suddenly she's going back to her season 1 attitude.  All Charles has to do is dump her and now she's jumping on the next dick that comes along?  So what exactly were the last 5 seasons of growth and maturity post-divorce supposed to be for?  Nothing?

I'm going to have to rewatch the Quinn stuff too as she might as well be someone completely different now for all I know.

Oh Josh, heartbroken over the revelation that his new crush isn't into children. So now he can go back to pining over the other woman who doesn't want his children. I don't think we've seen the last of the cute brunette though.

Maybe his new crush will turn up pregnant too, LOL.

I keep thinking Liza might be the one that ends up preggers.  

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2

Charles and Quinn kissed once on the street and now she's his "girlfriend" who's going to get Liza fired? OK. May Charles and Quinn marry shortly and run off to the Hamptons, never to be seen again.

I have a very hard time believing that Quinn (or Kelsey or Lauren) would be caught dead in a Dave & Buster's, but that definitely sounds like some forced corporate team-building bullshit. How much did they pay for that product placement? Or Does Viacom own Dave & Buster's, too?

• Love 2

Seconding (or thirding) the confusion over what Quinn's f-word even entailed - I thought she had the failed political campaign THEN had some publishing or entertainment start-up or new opportunity where she had a whole new floor of a building, where she'd 'welcomed' Kelsey, before K bailed to stay at the imprint FKA Millennial. So Quinn's response to the f-word would already be well-documented, it would seem, AND she wouldn't have to sell a rival publishing company on publishing her book. 

I don't think any episode reaction should go by without a lamentation about the lack of Diana : (

• Love 3

I know I shouldn't but I'm starting to root for Quinn. My crush on Laura Benanti is clearly taking over.

So, Kelsey hands over 400 000 bucks without having the slightest idea what she'll get for that money? And Liza takes a box of journals without ever having a look at them before she arrives to the office? I guess in the end the book will be a success and all writers who try to produce something original can just jump off a cliff. Also: I would have been more interested in surfer dude's anecdotes than yet another book on sexual positions, let's face it the number of ways human bodies can contort is limited. Well, Lauren might come up with some new ones about going down on ears.

And yeah, after all the trouble Kelsey got into for sleeping with authors we are supposed to cheer for Liza now? Well strictly speaking he's not an author but still. And her dig at Quinn at the end was really OOC. It was something Quinn would say if places were reversed but Liza was never that mean spirited.

Was Josh really looking wistful because his one-night stand made a couple of jokes about not wanting children? *eyeroll*

MVP was Liza's dress for the presentation with the fish-print (well, it was the way it was blocked, in reality it has a neon green handkerchief hem). 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5

I'm probably giving them too much leeway here, but I took Josh's wistful look as more of "oh crap, this is my life now" about being a single dad. This'll hardly be the last woman who feels that way.

• Love 1

Each episode just makes me more convinced that Charles and Liza will get back together - there is no confusion about the way they feel about one another, it's just all these forced misunderstandings and forced ultimatums about marriage keeping them apart. Neither one is finding any great love connection (Kai and Quinn are very obviously short-term obstacles) and Josh no longer seems to be a viable option. 

I kind of wish they just skipped the breakup and found a creative way to keep them together and happy during this last season but I guess that's too boring. I hope Maggie gets a little more to do in upcoming episodes because she's great. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, SallyAlbright said:

Each episode just makes me more convinced that Charles and Liza will get back together - there is no confusion about the way they feel about one another, it's just all these forced misunderstandings and forced ultimatums about marriage keeping them apart. Neither one is finding any great love connection (Kai and Quinn are very obviously short-term obstacles) and Josh no longer seems to be a viable option. 

I kind of wish they just skipped the breakup and found a creative way to keep them together and happy during this last season but I guess that's too boring. I hope Maggie gets a little more to do in upcoming episodes because she's great. 

I agree with you and have been thinking the same myself.  The way they're handling it by making them break up and not find anyone to take the other's place is so cliché and makes it look like they're aiming for Charles and Liza getting back together.  Of course that's how it feels now.  This show is famous for turning on a dime and things could do a 180 at any moment.  Suddenly the man of her dreams could drop in Liza's lap, and/or Charles could also meet someone spectacular.  But I actually hope you're right.  I've been hoping they end up together for years now, LOL.  Charles just needs to get his head out of his ass first.

• Love 1