Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

When Gloria goes on vacation, Abishola takes charge of the nursing staff, but quickly falls short as the job requires "people skills." Also, with Abishola extra busy at the hospital, the Wheelers try to cope with her temporary absence.

Airdate: 04/12/2021

Oh, I think I’m good with Abishola wanting to go to med school. Of the various TV characters I can think of who became a doctor “late in life”, hers seems like one of the better scenarios. Too bad the timing doesn’t work for her and Dele to be in med school at the same time. 

• Love 7

Humor being subjective, this episode made me laugh a lot, from the “bruha” boss to Abishola simultaneously berating and thanking Bob for sending her flowers, as well as Bob’s conversations with his future in-laws and with Kofo and Goodwin. Good writing and line deliveries. 

• Love 8

I loved how happy the Wheelers were to have Abishola back. Christina insisting on cooking her scrambled eggs made me laugh. 

And on a shallow note, those flowers were lovely. 

• Love 11

If it's the patient interaction Abishola likes, then I think she'd be better off staying a nurse. Every time I've been in the hospital, I'd see my doctor for about five minutes on the morning, if he even had hospital privileges. Otherwise, it was the practice's hospitalist. It was always the nurses who took care of the patients.

Assuming Abishola is in her late 30s, why would she want to commit herself to a lifetime of debt to finally be a doctor when she's 50? Did she learn nothing from Carol and her second act? 😆

I was surprised that Tunde appears to have substantial real estate holdings. I've been under the assumption that Abishola helps support the family, and that's part of why he drives a beat-up old van. I could see Olu having a successful Etsy shop. I love the head wraps she wears.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13

I really felt for Abishola when she was crying in the supply closet. She was so motivated to do what she thought was best, but her perspective is just not ideal for a managerial position. I really liked Kemi's advice about just taking her time with getting familiar with her new responsibilities, that is really all you can do in that situation, or forfeit altogether.

It was quite funny that Gloria explained to Abishola that a lot of her job is massaging egos, and then did it to her right after when she agreed that Abishola would have done a perfect job if only she gave her better directions. And Abishola didn't even notice. 😄

• Love 13
6 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

If it's the patient interaction Abishola likes, then I think she'd be better off staying a nurse. Every time I've been in the hospital, I'd see my doctor for about five minutes on the morning, if he even had hospital privileges. Otherwise, it was the practice's hospitalist. It was always the nurses who took care of the patients.

Good point. Maybe she'll discover that in an upcoming episode.

6 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I was surprised that Tunde appears to have substantial real estate holdings. I've been under the assumption that Abishola helps support the family, and that's part of why he drives a beat-up old van. I could see Olu having a successful Etsy shop. I love the head wraps she wears.

Is there maybe a cultural edict against flaunting ones' own wealth? Perhaps to prevent being a target of those who would steal or otherwise take advantage? 
Regardless, it does feel like a bit of a retcon.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

"My dad dropped dead of a heart attack on the loading dock!" 

"An honorable death." 

I can see Abishola becoming a doctor, although it also means that she will probably not get as much time with patients. It also means she wont have to manage the other nurses though, so she might take that as a fair trade. Abishola is clearly not a manager type, but I felt bad for her crying in the supply closet. She wanted so badly to succeed at this but its just not where her strengths lay. 

I can totally see Olu running a thriving Etsy business, her headwraps are so beautiful. She has all perfect reviews, except for Penny from Phoenix, and what does she know? 

• Love 4

First, I also thought the fact that Uncle Tundi has rentals and stock is a bit of a retcon.  I can see Olu doing the Etsy thing.

Dele deadpanning his thinking about curing cancer was funny.

I can't see Abishola going back to school to be a doctor.  Not in this stage in her life plus the fact it's a lot of debt to accumulate.  I can see her becoming a nurse practitioner which is close to being a doctor yet won't take the time and money it would take to being a doctor plus she gets to still work with people more than a doctor.

• Love 6

I'm surprised she likes working with patients. Patients are surely even less professional than nurses! 

Maybe she will go into a research field. 

But if she likes patient interaction, she can work in a clinic, or run a private practice where she decides how much of her time goes where.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

I can see her becoming a nurse practitioner which is close to being a doctor yet won't take the time and money it would take to being a doctor plus she gets to still work with people more than a doctor.

In real life, yes, this sounds like a perfect "then" for Abishola. But would the writers think of this?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Maybe she can become a surgeon? They're not really known for their warmth and people skills. Nor their beside manner. 

My colon cancer surgeon was a wonderful, warm, compassionate man, as well as a wonderful surgeon --but, yeah, probably "the exception that proves the rule."

9 hours ago, floridamom said:

Since Abishola obviously lacks people skills, I wonder how it is that she would make a good nurse, let alone a doctor? People skills count when interacting with PEOPLE.

Some nurses are good because they are like Abishola: Matter of fact, do the job right, doesn't let the patient's attitude prevent her from getting the care delivered.
OTOH, I also had a nurse who appeared in the middle of the night shift, and I'm still not sure --5 years later-- if he wasn't really an angel. 👼
--which, BTW, is how Abishola seemed to Bob when he first met her and she was singing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, floridamom said:

Since Abishola obviously lacks people skills, I wonder how it is that she would make a good nurse, let alone a doctor? People skills count when interacting with PEOPLE.

32 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Some nurses are good because they are like Abishola: Matter of fact, do the job right, doesn't let the patient's attitude prevent her from getting the care delivered.
OTOH, I also had a nurse who appeared in the middle of the night shift, and I'm still not sure --5 years later-- if he wasn't really an angel. 👼
--which, BTW, is how Abishola seemed to Bob when he first met her and she was singing. 

I'm getting the feeling that it's not so much that she lacks people skills, it's that she lacks people management (or ego massaging) skills.  So if she wants to "move up", then it makes more sense to work toward something like NP/PA/MD, rather than being promoted to the being nurse that manages other nurses.

• Love 4

Catching up a week late. I really liked this one! It wasn't a great idea to try and implement micromanagement and yearly review type-feedback for the two weeks. Let the people do their jobs, make decisions that need made, keep the paperwork moving. Policing someone's break down to the second isn't on the back-up's to do list.

Maybe when she finishes her training she'll join a private practice and leave the hospital setting, which will get her more patient time. She's been a nurse long enough she'll know what she's walking into if she stays in hospital care.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/15/2021 at 4:17 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I'm getting the feeling that it's not so much that she lacks people skills, it's that she lacks people management (or ego massaging) skills.  So if she wants to "move up", then it makes more sense to work toward something like NP/PA/MD, rather than being promoted to the being nurse that manages other nurses.

I agree and she might be great with patients, but doesn't deal well with inefficiency in coworkers.  Frankly, I found it hard to deal with supervisors or people in authority above me if I felt they should know something, but had better patience with those below me.  And sorry for above/below.  I don't know how to word that nicer.

I thought there was an unstated, but implied, belief of all the Nigerians, from Abishola to Tunde and Olu and Dele to Kofo and Goodwin: that Americans are lazy and lack goals. I thought the factory workers were going to call out Bob, too, but then realized they wouldn't insult the boss.

• Love 1
On 4/13/2021 at 5:42 AM, shapeshifter said:
On 4/12/2021 at 10:45 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Good point. Maybe she'll discover that in an upcoming episode.

But does she want to be a hospital doctor?
There is a great need for family physicians and here in British Columbia, many women follow that career path, particularly those who have young family.
Between better hours generally, many also work in a "walk-in" clinic - something of a misnomer since appointments were preferred even before COVID- which allows them to make their own hours. My doctor has a 4y.o. and only works three days a week, for example.
A family doctor would also be a vital addition to the Nigerian diaspora, particularly a woman.
Even if she went for gynecology, she would not necessarily be constantly in a hospital.

On 4/12/2021 at 10:45 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Assuming Abishola is in her late 30s, why would she want to commit herself to a lifetime of debt to finally be a doctor when she's 50?

She already has a BSc in Nursing. So that's five years off the cost although that depends on where she trained. If it was in Nigeria, Britain, or France she would have little or no student debt, since neither has onerous tuition costs.

And Bob is wealthy. She may not need any loans, if he can afford her tuition.

Maybe she can become a surgeon? They're not really known for their warmth and people skills. Nor their beside manner. 

If you don't want to talk to patients, become an anesthesiologist.

All the patient ever says is "Ninety nine, ninety eight, ninet........."

Edited by femmefan1946
  • LOL 1