Type keyword(s) to search

RW B2NY (2001)

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I always figured B/M were upset with him and that's why he disappeared. In the casting special, he said point blank in an interview that if he and Lori were put in the same house, they'd get involved. And instead he tells Lori their first night that he doesn't want to be with her, and we learn later in the season that he had a girl back home all along that he was really interested in. He outright lied to get on the show - I don't think he would have been cast without the Lori factor - and B/M lost what they'd thought was a sure thing for a house hookup, back when that was still rare for the franchise. I could see them thinking fine, since he wanted to be on the show so badly, they could get back at him by not giving him airtime. The one teensy story I remember him getting was the one about him romancing the girl he'd been interested in all along - makes sense they would air that, to show he'd lied in the casting special.

Interesting theory. I never thought about that before, but makes sense. 

Kevin did get a bit of "spite editing," which would feed the theory that the producers were pissed at him. I'm going on old memories, because I didn't like Back to New York and was glad to be finished with it in 2001, but I remember there was one episode they ended with a night-vision scene of the boys' bedroom. Kevin was talking in an obnoxious, boastful way about how every girl he met was going to want to party with him (presumably, he meant, once the season aired and he became MTV-famous). He was very different from the more measured, careful way he presented when he knew he was in footage that could be in the show. I think even that episode had shown him letting a girl down gently (Lori? Another one?). It was like, "Here, at the end of the show, we'll give you a taste of what this douchebag is like when he forgets everything is being recorded." 

And even when he was in his mode of careful, measured presentation, the editors usually found snippets where it came off as condescending, especially when he was talking to the women in the house. I also think Coral and Nicole in particular had no time for his fakeness. I enjoyed when Nicole managed to get under his skin and he forgot himself and started yelling and pulled out the "don't play the race card" comment, which really showed his ass.

There must've been something to him because Malik liked him, and Malik seemed like a good guy, but the editors made sure not to show us any of that, both in general and in his friendship with Malik specifically - we know they were friends but we hardly saw them together. (Isn't it Lori who said that she's sad the editors hardly showed any of her friendship with Coral? The season might have been better if more friendship moments among the cast had made it in. Boston had a severe house split as well, but in that season we got a lot of friendship interaction between the members on each side of the house split. I think that made the season less unpleasant than B2NY.)

On 4/9/2022 at 12:59 PM, Black Knight said:

And even when he was in his mode of careful, measured presentation, the editors usually found snippets where it came off as condescending, especially when he was talking to the women in the house. I also think Coral and Nicole in particular had no time for his fakeness. I enjoyed when Nicole managed to get under his skin and he forgot himself and started yelling and pulled out the "don't play the race card" comment, which really showed his ass.

There must've been something to him because Malik liked him, and Malik seemed like a good guy, but the editors made sure not to show us any of that, both in general and in his friendship with Malik specifically - we know they were friends but we hardly saw them together. (Isn't it Lori who said that she's sad the editors hardly showed any of her friendship with Coral? The season might have been better if more friendship moments among the cast had made it in. Boston had a severe house split as well, but in that season we got a lot of friendship interaction between the members on each side of the house split. I think that made the season less unpleasant than B2NY.)

Yup. It seemed like Coral and Lori were the closest out of the girls but they instead highlighted Nicole/Coral and Rahcel/Lori.

I always thought it was shitty that Kevin and Malik went to upstate New York and didn't invite Mike on Valentine's Day, but the edit decided to blame the girls for not inviting him to girls night out.

22 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Rahcel/Lori.

I remember absolutely nothing about Rachel except that moment she was swinging around the subway train pole, and that only because it was in the promo for the season and I watched that promo 100x. Even SF's Cori was more memorable.

• LOL 1
18 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I remember absolutely nothing about Rachel except that moment she was swinging around the subway train pole, and that only because it was in the promo for the season and I watched that promo 100x. Even SF's Cori was more memorable.

That's funny! She even made a challenge appearance! 

I remember how Back to New York Rachel would refer to her mother as "Maaaaam!" (and then her mother started posting at TWoP as "Mahm," "Maam" or a similar ID, referencing it).

She wasn't the most memorable of the RW babe-in-the-woods types. Nor did she come off as one of the nicer ones; she was a bit duplicitous. She definitely left less of a mark on that season than the other six.  

Even SF's Cori was more memorable.

Oh, hands down. Cory was pretty memorable to me. There were more interesting personalities that season, but she was involved in a lot of the house conflicts and had a strong relationship with everyone else (for good or ill). Plus, there was nothing more Gen X '94 than going out to look for a job and coming home bitching that they want you to have years of experience just to pour coffee.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • LOL 2
13 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I remember Coral and Nicole teasing Rachel to point she almost started crying, I think?

Yes! I am watching the episodes and that is a big plot line. Nicole and Coral bullying Rachel.

Rachel was super young right out of high school and hadn't gone to college yet. If she had done the show at 21 I think she would have been completely different. 

18 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I remember Coral and Nicole teasing Rachel to point she almost started crying, I think?

Yeah, they took the teasing too far for a kid who’d never been away from home before and took the plunge right into something like RW.

Coral and Nicole both had rough lives, I think, so they’d had much more life experience and saw Rachel’s “problems” as a cake life, so they didn’t stop even when she was close to breaking down. They were mean to each other too, but they could take it.

one of the only things I liked about when they met up with the RR folks was RR Adam just roasting the hell out of Coral with zero fucks to give. It was so interesting to see her react to someone who wasn’t intimidated by her and who didn’t care if she was mad. Especially after she’d taken Rachel to task so many times for being too sensitive, it was great to see her lose her cool over being teased.

outside of that, I couldn’t really stand RR Adam, that was his shining moment overall.

ETA: I could see them getting this cast back together, maybe. The Miz is a big star now but certainly doesn’t mind being on TV and would probably enjoy returning after how his life turned out.

Nicole, Kevin, or Malik might be the least into it, but if they put some bucks on the table, maybe? Lori and Coral seem like the type who’d come back and Rachel maybe too. 

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Like 1
On 4/14/2022 at 8:39 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Yeah, they took the teasing too far for a kid who’d never been away from home before and took the plunge right into something like RW.

Coral and Nicole both had rough lives, I think, so they’d had much more life experience and saw Rachel’s “problems” as a cake life, so they didn’t stop even when she was close to breaking down. They were mean to each other too, but they could take it.

one of the only things I liked about when they met up with the RR folks was RR Adam just roasting the hell out of Coral with zero fucks to give. It was so interesting to see her react to someone who wasn’t intimidated by her and who didn’t care if she was mad. Especially after she’d taken Rachel to task so many times for being too sensitive, it was great to see her lose her cool over being teased.

outside of that, I couldn’t really stand RR Adam, that was his shining moment overall.

ETA: I could see them getting this cast back together, maybe. The Miz is a big star now but certainly doesn’t mind being on TV and would probably enjoy returning after how his life turned out.

Nicole, Kevin, or Malik might be the least into it, but if they put some bucks on the table, maybe? Lori and Coral seem like the type who’d come back and Rachel maybe too. 

I feel like the biggest issue with a RW B2NY Homecoming is Miz's schedule, I remember reading he wanted to do the first All-Star season, but was rehabbing and injury and it didn't work out schedule wise. Coral apparently flaked out on production for Dirty 30 so that might create some issues since you need both The Miz and Coral.

Lori was apparently at least asked for All Stars 2 (seems like any former cast member with public social media is asked)

Nicole has gone to great lengths to live a private life since The Real World ended so i would be a bit surprised if she said yes. I would be interested to see Rachel, since she was so young the first time, but if she said no I think production would be fine with it.

They were going to do Real World Hawaii Homecoming without Matt, but won't do a Vegas one because Frank won't do it. Production has weird taste.

I don't understand why they would think they need Frank for a LV homecoming, but that cast already had a reunion years ago with everyone participating and I don't feel the need to watch another (I also saw plenty of some of them on Challenge.) Of course, it was very far from my favorite season, so that's coloring my perspective.

For NY, yeah, the Miz and Coral are musts. My third must, just personally speaking, would be Nicole. I'd really like to know what she would have to say and how life has gone for her. I'm semi-curious about Malik and Lori, fond enough of them that I'd be happy to hear they're doing well. I'm willing to give Rachel the chance of being more interesting now than she was all those years ago. Kevin, yawn.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I don't understand why they would think they need Frank for a LV homecoming, but that cast already had a reunion years ago with everyone participating and I don't feel the need to watch another (I also saw plenty of some of them on Challenge.) Of course, it was very far from my favorite season, so that's coloring my perspective.

For NY, yeah, the Miz and Coral are musts. My third must, just personally speaking, would be Nicole. I'd really like to know what she would have to say and how life has gone for her. I'm semi-curious about Malik and Lori, fond enough of them that I'd be happy to hear they're doing well. I'm willing to give Rachel the chance of being more interesting now than she was all those years ago. Kevin, yawn.

Trishelle said they could do it without him which made me laugh since she is actually friends with him.

I do feel Nicole is important for a homecoming especially since talking about race was a big theme this season and I feel like it would be weird not having Coral, Nicole and Malik reflecting on those convos. I personally like Lori so I would like to see what she is up too even though I do follow her on Instagram. I have no desire to see Kevin again. 

19 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I really enjoyed Rachel when she was in the Gauntlet challenge.  She had a better head on her shoulders, and I loved her friendship with Sarah.  The really weird thing was that Mike and Coral were on the Gauntlet as well, and it seemed like she had a nonexisting relationship with either of them.

2 hours ago, seltzer3 said:

I really enjoyed Rachel when she was in the Gauntlet challenge.  She had a better head on her shoulders, and I loved her friendship with Sarah.  The really weird thing was that Mike and Coral were on the Gauntlet as well, and it seemed like she had a nonexisting relationship with either of them.

Rachel was cool during The Gauntlet. It was weird I remember there were background shots with her talking to Coral, but don't remember anything of substance.

I do remember Mike mentioning on his website how Rachel would never return his calls or AIM messages. 

On 4/18/2021 at 2:22 AM, Bastet said:

So that is indeed still to come?  Because I have such a distinct memory of that (one of my few), but when it didn't appear in the RW/RR casting special or the Morocco episode (in which Jisela wasn't even there; it was Katie), I thought I was fabricating a really odd thing.

I know this is a year later but yes, Coral telling Jisela to "get off the ho train 'cause you're the only one riding it" comment came later. Jisela (and maybe a few others) showed up at the house and hooked up with Malik. After which, they all went on a trip somewhere, maybe to the Hamptons. I remember there was a pool. Jisela was icing Malik for some reason and the other roommates were taking his side, understandably.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:11 PM, choclatechip45 said:

Has there been any other season with such a divide between the guys/females in the house? I think the main problem with this season is that the group just didn't gell well together and they didn't have one person who got along with everyone. The closest is probably Lori, but she wasn't that close to Nicole from what I remember from her recaps she didn't have a one-one conversation with Nicole until they drove back from Boston. I wonder how different this season would have been if they had switched Kevin/Blair since Blair seems to be one of those people who can get along with anyone. 

Brooklyn. Oh my God, Brooklyn. The show that killed The Real World for me. Almost every guy on the show was a lunatic with rage issues and a hardcore misogynist. Well, two of them were (Ryan and J.D.), and Chet was firmly Team Ryan. (Scott was okay.)

After which, they all went on a trip somewhere, maybe to the Hamptons.

Yeah, it was in the Hamptons. FYI, that YT channel has the entire season plus the casting special. Enjoy it while it lasts...

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I know this is a year later but yes, Coral telling Jisela to "get off the ho train 'cause you're the only one riding it" comment came later. Jisela (and maybe a few others) showed up at the house and hooked up with Malik. After which, they all went on a trip somewhere, maybe to the Hamptons. I remember there was a pool. Jisela was icing Malik for some reason and the other roommates were taking his side, understandably.

Brooklyn. Oh my God, Brooklyn. The show that killed The Real World for me. Almost every guy on the show was a lunatic with rage issues and a hardcore misogynist. Well, two of them were (Ryan and J.D.), and Chet was firmly Team Ryan. (Scott was okay.)

I can't believe I forgot about Brooklyn. I sort of liked Ryan because when he wasn't putting up a front he wasn't terrible. I remember the scene of him showing Sarah his book and I always liked that scene. 

Sophia said on Mike Lewis's podcast she was almost cast on Back to New York. She thinks they switched her and Nicole. 

3 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I can't believe I forgot about Brooklyn. I sort of liked Ryan because when he wasn't putting up a front he wasn't terrible. I remember the scene of him showing Sarah his book and I always liked that scene. 

To be fair to both Ryan and J.D., they had issues. Ryan was pretty open about suffering PTSD from his time in Iraq and J.D. apparently came from a pretty abusive background. But my GOD, the way the two of them absolutely despised and bullied Sarah. Ryan was bellowing at her during the reunion--I remember her being a fairly sweet, hippie-ish type but Ryan and J.D. seemed to think she was putting on an act. She was never anything but kind to Ryan, as I recall, and I don't think did anything to provoke that kind of abuse.

To whomever posted the link to the 2001 casting special--thanks! My God, Segun was a nutcase. BMP liked to cast controversial types--I am devoutly glad they passed on him. The vile, misogynistic diatribe, calling women hookups "garbage" and "hos" and "nothing--someone who hates women that much does not deserve a platform like TRW. Coral got on my nerves at times but she was always good for putting some male asshat in his place. I still remember how she utterly dismissed Slappy Stephen during one of the Challenges. Just raised a hand and drifted away from him. No drama, just dismissal.

I really wished they'd cast Jason from MS--he was very sweet--instead of Boring Kevin. And I hate that Jisela was kicked off--BMP was taking a page out of Survivor (a huge hit having debuted the year before) but Jisela was great TV. She had such a cute, excitable energy to her.

And I'd forgotten how hot Adam was! Rowr.

1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

To be fair to both Ryan and J.D., they had issues. Ryan was pretty open about suffering PTSD from his time in Iraq and J.D. apparently came from a pretty abusive background. But my GOD, the way the two of them absolutely despised and bullied Sarah. Ryan was bellowing at her during the reunion--I remember her being a fairly sweet, hippie-ish type but Ryan and J.D. seemed to think she was putting on an act. She was never anything but kind to Ryan, as I recall, and I don't think did anything to provoke that kind of abuse.

To whomever posted the link to the 2001 casting special--thanks! My God, Segun was a nutcase. BMP liked to cast controversial types--I am devoutly glad they passed on him. The vile, misogynistic diatribe, calling women hookups "garbage" and "hos" and "nothing--someone who hates women that much does not deserve a platform like TRW. Coral got on my nerves at times but she was always good for putting some male asshat in his place. I still remember how she utterly dismissed Slappy Stephen during one of the Challenges. Just raised a hand and drifted away from him. No drama, just dismissal.

I really wished they'd cast Jason from MS--he was very sweet--instead of Boring Kevin. And I hate that Jisela was kicked off--BMP was taking a page out of Survivor (a huge hit having debuted the year before) but Jisela was great TV. She had such a cute, excitable energy to her.

And I'd forgotten how hot Adam was! Rowr.

All I remember from the Brooklyn reunion was the reveal Baya/Ryan were dating. 

Wasn't Jason the one who had a flirtation with Coral? If so I liked him.