Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E12: Sign O' the Times

• Start Topic

If Maggie had been quiet the policeman wouldn't have known the phone was on.

Are they going to show scenes of business owners being brought in after being attacked by looters and having their businesses being destroyed.  Probably not.  

I understand that these are important moments in the course of the last year, but I hope soon we will have a jump in time to get more relevant to what is going on now.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I appreciate the topical storylines that do convey how much people of color have to carry day in day out.

I wish it was better written and acted so it felt less speechy and more organic. It was silly to have Maggie expect Winston to chat with her during the stop itself. I understood her being concerned but she should know to listen quietly at that point. The stop had just started.

I continue my Glasses Death Watch and to despise him. Being a snit about his VIP patient did nothing for me. Him saying Meredith needed not to be spoken to/no stress was comical because nothing would annoy me (or Meredith) more than having to lay there and listen to him blather on about clouds. 

I like Meredith more than most but seriously show? more "she's the greatest" stuff? just stop.

Agreed with a lot of this.  I think highlighting the protests from last June is important, but if anything, I'd rather they'd stretched it out over a couple episodes. Piling riots, injuries from riots, and an uneasy police encounter all into the same episode turned it into feeling more "Special Episode of the Week" rather than capturing just how immense the unease was from late May through June (& onward).  But also agreed with others that a time jump would be nice at some point soon.

I was annoyed that Schmidt was such a dick to the intern. I get that they wanted to show him becoming more confident and training, but rather than showing how he could now be a teacher like Our Lady of the Sun, he instead was mostly screeching directions at the intern. Plus, in general I get annoyed with competitive hierarchies between the surgical classes that the show in later seasons constantly likes to display. While I can't specifically attest to surgical residencies, I know other programs that more or less try to foster a family feeling among the years. The older residents only have had a couple of years more experience and thus remember the steep learning curve of the intern year, so most aren't dicks to their juniors (barring actual personality clashes), whereas the show has loved to portray the more senior residents (Jo back in the day, DeLuca at times, now Schmidt) acting superior in any cross-class interactions.

I'm also getting tired of Meredith being called the greatest ever in every episode or so. It stood out to me with Jo saying that Meredith was an amazing teacher.  From what I can recall from the 80 years this show has now been on, Meredith didn't play a huge roll in most of Jo's residency training until toward the very end when they were working together on the abdominal wall transplant and the little livers. Meredith was more concerned with recovering from the plane/saving the hospital during Jo's first year and then was pregnant with Bailey. She spent all of Jo's second or third year away from Seattle to grieve Derek and carry Ellis. Once she returned, Perfect Penny became her pet project for several months while Jo was leaning toward ortho... It just annoyed me after they did the same with DeLuca's video interview wherein he listed Meredith as one of the biggest factors for choosing Grey-Sloan when really she was out-of-state during his application year (a year in which even her own co-workers were continually asking if she was ever coming back). 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, DrBriCa said:

I'm also getting tired of Meredith being called the greatest ever in every episode or so. It stood out to me with Jo saying that Meredith was an amazing teacher.  From what I can recall from the 80 years this show has now been on, Meredith didn't play a huge roll in most of Jo's residency training until toward the very end when they were working together on the abdominal wall transplant and the little livers. Meredith was more concerned with recovering from the plane/saving the hospital during Jo's first year and then was pregnant with Bailey. She spent all of Jo's second or third year away from Seattle to grieve Derek and carry Ellis. Once she returned, Perfect Penny became her pet project for several months while Jo was leaning toward ortho... It just annoyed me after they did the same with DeLuca's video interview wherein he listed Meredith as one of the biggest factors for choosing Grey-Sloan when really she was out-of-state during his application year (a year in which even her own co-workers were continually asking if she was ever coming back). 

I had not broken it down but I too was questioning this Meredith as the best teacher concept. I don't remember really seeing that. I certainly didn't see the background for me to really believe Schmidt hears her voice in his head and is guided by it---I would have bought something like that if this was ER and Carter had that type of step up experience and can hear Benton because they had a tight bond and even though Benton had flaws, we did see him teach.

• Love 8

IMO, it is VERY possible that Maggie made the traffic stop much worse than it would have been.  Had she not started screeching like a complete idiot, the cop wouldn't have even known she was listening.  Once he knew, and Winston had to improvise and say something about how that's his fiancée and she just worries about me, then I bet the cop treated him worse.  Had Maggie shut up, Winston could have just explained he was moving and received a ticket for a covered plate.  But instead, the cop became extra suspicious - and angry - and gave Winston and Maggie something to worry about...

I didn't mind the storyline, and cops stopping black men like this does happen all the time.  But Maggie is so stupid.  I have no idea who, in real life, would think it's a good idea to start screaming like that.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
fixed typo
  • Love 11
27 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

IMO, it is VERY possible that Maggie made the traffic stop much worse that it would have been.  Had she not started screeching like a complete idiot, the cop wouldn't have even known she was listening.  

I'm sure the phone ringing over and over wouldn't help matters, either. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

IMO, it is VERY possible that Maggie made the traffic stop much worse that it would have been.  Had she not started screeching like a complete idiot, the cop wouldn't have even known she was listening.  Once he knew, and Winston had to improvise and say something about how that's his fiancée and she just worries about me, then I bet the cop treated him worse.  Had Maggie shut up, Winston could have just explained he was moving and received a ticket for a covered plate.  But instead, the cop became extra suspicious - and angry - and gave Winston and Maggie something to worry about...

I didn't mind the storyline, and cops stopping black men like this does happen all the time.  But Maggie is so stupid.  I have no idea who, in real life, would think it's a good idea to start screaming like that.

Pretty much. 
Like. I usually defend Maggie, but i have no idea why she started screeching like that. If the point was to hear what the cop was saying and basically be all "yeah no" if it started shady don't you think you should you know, be quiet and wait until something shady happened?  honestly, i would have personally just said, I'll call you back later, Maggie, and if you wanted to record the situation. just put the recorder on your phone. if my chinzy Iphone 6 can do it i'm sure Winston's posh phone could do it. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, RoxiP said:

If Maggie had been quiet the policeman wouldn't have known the phone was on.

Are they going to show scenes of business owners being brought in after being attacked by looters and having their businesses being destroyed.  Probably not.  

I understand that these are important moments in the course of the last year, but I hope soon we will have a jump in time to get more relevant to what is going on now.

They were protesters, not looters. 

I also don't recall Meredith being a great teacher, but she wasn't the worst, either. Didn't they buy the hospital, long before any of the interns came along? Besides Jo, who has been around for eight or nine years. 

• Love 6

This episode had my full attention for the first time this season.  Yes, Maggie is an idiot who made the traffic stop worse with her screaming and non-stop calling...and who the hell stops MID-SURGERY to take a phone call...and why can't Saint Meredith just die already???  But this episode kept my attention and this show has been unable to do that in a long time.

And, for what it's worth, I thought Jackson was headed to Minneapolis to protest.  

• Love 5

Grey’s doesn’t need to balance its storytelling with portrayals of good cops. There are already plenty of good cops portrayed on TV. It’s basically the entire CBS primetime lineup.

The way this cop was depicted was also a little different. Usually, when racist TV cops detain POC, there is an implied assumption by the TV cop that the detainee is up to no good. Like they think they’re helping society by being extra vigilant, even though we know their reasoning is messed up. In this traffic stop, the cop was clearly unconcerned by anything Winston was doing. He simply wanted to underscore a message that Winston has no power and should never dare to think otherwise. It was a subtle difference, but well played and especially frightening because of it.  True, Maggie wasn’t helping matters— does she ever, really?— but her panic was understandable.

• Love 12