Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
aquarian1

S18.E02: Trouble Brewing

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I am somewhat of a picky eater, and I despise coffee. I can taste a hint of coffee in anything and that food must come out of my mouth NOW.

Ha.  That's me with beer.  So the coffee side of the challenge was fine for me but the beer side would have had me spitting stuff out like a child.  I don't care how long it's "cooked out", I can taste it.

I like the idea of a picky eater challenge but I'm trying hard to think of the best way to do it.  To have them plan a dish and then let them know about what their picky eaters won't eat so they had to adjust?  Maybe give them something they have to make but then tell them what their picky eater can't eat like "Lasagna but with no glueten or olives...etc." 

Or say they have to make something with ground beef or fish but it has to be well done. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I re-watched this episode at a leisurely pace earlier today. I had already read the thread so I had a lot of stop/start going on when I would get to something that had been discussed here. 

Gadget noise chef and Kiki. Yes to the poster who asked if that was cheating to have the person with immunity lie and say they were responsible for something they weren't. Kiki, run away from gadget noise chef, don't say Okay! It isn't a strategy, it is underhanded lying and cheating. I remembered during the first episode that I missed Tom's blogs (after he watched the aired episode) and now I really miss them because I would have loved to know what he thought about that "strategy". 

I re-watched at least 3 times the vinaigrette discussion and it was hard for me to tell their voices apart. I used captions, lip reading and sound and I came away thinking that it was Sasha who said that she thought they were fine without putting more vinaigrette on the plate. Even during the judges table, I thought Brittany was trying to make it a team decision to save Sasha, not that it was Brittany's fault it wasn't on the plate. 

I think the guest judges did come up with the breakfast orders on their own. I think that the producer's did decide on the order they would be presented, for maximum chaos. And I think the order presented was designed to have the worst order be the last order. The orders were a little too personal, or on the nose, to be made up by the producers. I don't think the judges made their requests to be hard, even Blaise. I think they were asked "what's your favorite breakfast order" and they responded. It was awkward for Melissa having to talk up her order (or talk it down?) when there were no takers. Then it was hilarious when Shota was just fuck it, and rang the bell and someone else opined "I am NOT making Melissa dim sum". 

I came away after re-watching liking Sasha a bit more and wishing it had been gadget noise chef being eliminated. I don't like underhandedness. 

Sara is too precious to my liking. I can't help but wonder when the "It's Top Chef, not Top Yogurt!" to start happening. Hopefully she won't use it, or at least sparingly, in the coming episodes. 

eta I hope to never write "order" again, lol. Man, I used it a lot in that paragraph!

 

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, blixie said:

I really love the chef's this year, except PDX Gabe, but I have to hand it to the other, specifically women chefs, he's tried to roll over, they've stayed calm, and stuck to their guns. The really weird thing about his saying no pepper it's too "aggressive" is that Tom's deepest disgust is for under seasoned bland food.

He didn't tell her not to use pepper at all. He said that she shouldn't use pepper in her sauce because she already used it on her ribs. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, stewedsquash said:

I re-watched this episode at a leisurely pace earlier today. I had already read the thread so I had a lot of stop/start going on when I would get to something that had been discussed here. 

Gadget noise chef and Kiki. Yes to the poster who asked if that was cheating to have the person with immunity lie and say they were responsible for something they weren't. Kiki, run away from gadget noise chef, don't say Okay! It isn't a strategy, it is underhanded lying and cheating. I remembered during the first episode that I missed Tom's blogs (after he watched the aired episode) and now I really miss them because I would have loved to know what he thought about that "strategy". 

I re-watched at least 3 times the vinaigrette discussion and it was hard for me to tell their voices apart. I used captions, lip reading and sound and I came away thinking that it was Sasha who said that she thought they were fine without putting more vinaigrette on the plate. Even during the judges table, I thought Brittany was trying to make it a team decision to save Sasha, not that it was Brittany's fault it wasn't on the plate. 

I think the guest judges did come up with the breakfast orders on their own. I think that the producer's did decide on the order they would be presented, for maximum chaos. And I think the order presented was designed to have the worst order be the last order. The orders were a little too personal, or on the nose, to be made up by the producers. I don't think the judges made their requests to be hard, even Blaise. I think they were asked "what's your favorite breakfast order" and they responded. It was awkward for Melissa having to talk up her order (or talk it down?) when there were no takers. Then it was hilarious when Shota was just fuck it, and rang the bell and someone else opined "I am NOT making Melissa dim sum". 

I came away after re-watching liking Sasha a bit more and wishing it had been gadget noise chef being eliminated. I don't like underhandedness. 

Sara is too precious to my liking. I can't help but wonder when the "It's Top Chef, not Top Yogurt!" to start happening. Hopefully she won't use it, or at least sparingly, in the coming episodes. 

eta I hope to never write "order" again, lol. Man, I used it a lot in that paragraph!

 

In all honesty, I don't think Melissa asking for dim sum is all that hard.  Because one can make any type of dim sum.  There are definitely some one could do in 30 minutes (shrimp toast, tofu pudding, spring rolls, dumplings if one is skilled enough, mini noodle dishes).  I'm guessing several of the contestants immediately thought of the more common things (soup dumplings, chicken feet, turnip cake) and freaked out with how they were going to do that in 30 minutes.

And it looked like that the chefs took a lot of liberties and interpretation of dim sum--> tapas (Maria talked about making mini tacos), because Avishar made butternut squash fritters which are definitely not traditional.   

Richard's was annoying because not only it had a ton of components, but he was so specific with each one.  Like what the hell at him asking specifically for eggs on medium, when everyone else just said eggs (vegetable hash and eggs, steak and eggs).  So Nelson and Chris were really pushed into a box.  Like I was expecting Richard Blais, to be all "oh yeah and you guys need to use liquid nitrogen!"

Edited by seltzer3
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, seltzer3 said:

asking specifically for eggs on medium

and I could have sworn that what he got from one chef was sunny-side up. To me, eggs over medium are an abomination, so sunnyside up is fine with me.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

My hottest culinary hot take is that runny egg yolks are the most overrated thing that foodies cherish and I'd be happy to never encounter one again. I'll eat them, but I'm always disappointed when a chef has a perfectly good dish and designs an egg yolk to run its lukewarm blahness all over it. Hollandaise sauce? I'm suitably impressed and will react accordingly. Put a sunnyside egg on it? Meh. Whatever. 

  • Like 16
  • Laugh 6
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Gadget noise chef and Kiki. Yes to the poster who asked if that was cheating to have the person with immunity lie and say they were responsible for something they weren't. Kiki, run away from gadget noise chef, don't say Okay! It isn't a strategy, it is underhanded lying and cheating. I remembered during the first episode that I missed Tom's blogs (after he watched the aired episode) and now I really miss them because I would have loved to know what he thought about that "strategy". 

I really don't even understand the strategy. Ultimately, if their dish was chosen by the judges to be the worst, it doesn't matter who made what, Kiki would still be going home since RoboChef has immunity.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, gorgy said:

Ultimately, if their dish was chosen by the judges to be the worst, it doesn't matter who made what, Kiki would still be going home since RoboChef has immunity.

yeah that was my original take, but I guess if there were three bad dishes, and they managed to convince the judges that the badness of theirs was all because of the immunity chef.... maybe it would make a difference. In any case, it was a slimy move.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

One thing I forgot until this afternoon when I was watching old Schitt's Creek reruns. Did anyone see the name of the restaurant where they held the EC challenge? They showed it almost every time a new team of chefs came in. I couldn't for the life of me read it. Red neon sign shot on an angle against a reflective background? About on a level with the orange name titles.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I am somewhat of a picky eater, and I despise coffee. I can taste a hint of coffee in anything and that food must come out of my mouth NOW. I will actually ask at restaurants if the dessert has any coffee in it. I’ve had places that will bring me samples of the fudge sauce so I can be sure. 

 

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Ha.  That's me with beer.  So the coffee side of the challenge was fine for me but the beer side would have had me spitting stuff out like a child.  I don't care how long it's "cooked out", I can taste it.

I hate both beer and coffee, so that whole challenge was a big NOPE for me! Coconut is the other thing on my "Things I will spit out immediately" list. 

Edited by jpgr · Reason: typo
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm loving the "Asian Sensation" and looking forward to additional creative recipes by these chefs.  

Sad to see Sasha leave, particularly in light of her personal story that she shared with us, but understandable in the mistakes that were made.  I like what she said in her parting interview- mistakes will be made, but we can't let them undermine our confidence or influence our future steps. 

I have no problem with Richard Blais, but I know him only from Top Chef.  I laughed at his pompadour in the first part of episode one, especially the shade he drew from a few people, but I applaud those who have their own personal style, no matter how unconventional.  I'm sure the producers encouraged his elaborate breakfast order and he seemed to be a good sport about it.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jpgr said:

 

I hate both beer and coffee, so that whole challenge was a big NOPE for me! Coconut is the other thing on my "Things I will spit out immediately" list. 

I am feeling some soulmate here because I will drink beer like once every 3 years and remember that I really don’t like it, but I HATE coconut. I hate it so much I won’t even use a bath product or moisturizer that smells like coconut. It’s gross and makes me want to shave my tongue. 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, carrps said:

One thing I forgot until this afternoon when I was watching old Schitt's Creek reruns. Did anyone see the name of the restaurant where they held the EC challenge? They showed it almost every time a new team of chefs came in. I couldn't for the life of me read it. Red neon sign shot on an angle against a reflective background? About on a level with the orange name titles.

 

 

 

It was the Red Star tavern. I know I've been by it a zillion times in downtown Portland, but never been inside. 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Iseut said:

It was the Red Star tavern. I know I've been by it a zillion times in downtown Portland, but never been inside. 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I am feeling some soulmate here because I will drink beer like once every 3 years and remember that I really don’t like it, but I HATE coconut. I hate it so much I won’t even use a bath product or moisturizer that smells like coconut. It’s gross and makes me want to shave my tongue. 

I'm laughing because as I'm reading this thread and your post, I am actually eating a Mounds Bar. 😄 

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I hate both beer and coffee, so that whole challenge was a big NOPE for me!

My sister! Or brother? I can't even stand mocha so no tiramisu for me. I have gone to a craft beer show and went around the booths asking "Do you have any beer that doesn't taste like beer?" (Have found exactly one btw-Früli, a strawberry beer.) Most wines too. I also don't eat 99% of seafood so I could never be a judge or host of any food show. Love coconut though. Some of the plates were really beautiful, but I could never eat them. Lemon, limes, vinegar, fungi and dressings are icky.

I'm probably going to have to try something from the Black Sheep now, but there's maybe three dishes on this menu I would even be able to touch.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I am feeling some soulmate here because I will drink beer like once every 3 years and remember that I really don’t like it, but I HATE coconut. I hate it so much I won’t even use a bath product or moisturizer that smells like coconut. It’s gross and makes me want to shave my tongue. 

Glad to know that there are people out there like me that totally hate coconut. I don't enjoy the smell, the taste, or the texture. I also don't have any coconut products of any sort in my house.

I used to drink coffee but several years ago I got extremely sick and ran a fever of 105 for a day. I got better but I completely lost my love of coffee. The smell of coffee makes me feel ill. I haven't drunk a cup of coffee since then. However, I like a nice dark ale.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

Glad to know that there are people out there like me that totally hate coconut. I don't enjoy the smell, the taste, or the texture. I also don't have any coconut products of any sort in my house.

I used to drink coffee but several years ago I got extremely sick and ran a fever of 105 for a day. I got better but I completely lost my love of coffee. The smell of coffee makes me feel ill. I haven't drunk a cup of coffee since then. However, I like a nice dark ale.

It drives me crazy when there will be perfectly delicious desserts and they throw in some mocha or freaking toasted coconut and suddenly it’s inedible. 

I am also frustrated that side dishes are some form of potatoes or green beans. The only good potato is in American Chip form with a nice dip. There is no such thing as a good green bean. Green beans taste like dirt. 

I don’t like being difficult at a restaurant, but I am always subbing out a side. Give me broccoli, asparagus, even a raw Brussels sprout salad, baked leeks or onions, artichokes, grilled squash and zucchini. But NooOOOOoo, it’s all smashed/creamed/puréed potatoes and haricot verts. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not a picky eater.  I'll eat anything.  I love all of the aforementioned foods.  The only thing I can think of that I won't eat is octopus.  My motto is no tentacles.  I'm allergic to shrimp but I love it and still eat it after taking a dose of allergy meds.

  • Like 5
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm laughing because as I'm reading this thread and your post, I am actually eating a Mounds Bar. 😄 

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!

I just had a chocolate covered coconut egg with a guiness for dinner 🙂 

I’m using a big lunch as an excuse.....

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, susannot said:

I'm not a picky eater.  I'll eat anything.  I love all of the aforementioned foods.  The only thing I can think of that I won't eat is octopus. 

I eat most anything as well. But I quit eating octopus when I learned how smart they are 😞 Sorry to be a downer on octopus-eating-lovers

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

It drives me crazy when there will be perfectly delicious desserts and they throw in some mocha or freaking toasted coconut and suddenly it’s inedible. 

I am also frustrated that side dishes are some form of potatoes or green beans. The only good potato is in American Chip form with a nice dip. There is no such thing as a good green bean. Green beans taste like dirt. 

I don’t like being difficult at a restaurant, but I am always subbing out a side. Give me broccoli, asparagus, even a raw Brussels sprout salad, baked leeks or onions, artichokes, grilled squash and zucchini. But NooOOOOoo, it’s all smashed/creamed/puréed potatoes and haricot verts. 

Love all your side suggestions, but I also LOVE fresh green beans.  And sticking up for coconut! 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I eat most anything as well. But I quit eating octopus when I learned how smart they are 😞 Sorry to be a downer on octopus-eating-lovers

YES.  I read a Snapple cap that said, "Some countries have banned cooking live octopus because they're so intelligent."  Which led me to investigate.  Those things are awe-mazing!  They're smart, but even more, they play jokes, they make friends, they have musical taste . . .   Yikes.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 4
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, candall said:

YES.  I read a Snapple cap that said, "Some countries have banned cooking live octopus because they're so intelligent."  Which led me to investigate.  Those things are awe-mazing!  They're smart, but even more, they play jokes, they make friends, they have musical taste . . .   Yikes.

And, they predict World Cup games. RIP Paul the Octopus. 

I’m not  picky eater, but I like the idea of a picky (or “particular”) eater challenge. I know I stress having to make substitutions for dishes, and it would be neat seeing what the chefs could come up with. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, candall said:

YES.  I read a Snapple cap that said, "Some countries have banned cooking live octopus because they're so intelligent."  Which led me to investigate.  Those things are awe-mazing!  They're smart, but even more, they play jokes, they make friends, they have musical taste . . .   Yikes.

Now I have to stop eating octopus and I love octopus. Anything that can play jokes and like my music I will not be able to eat anymore.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

One thing that I've noticed was that Gabriel did not actually incorporated the kimchee into the fried rice.    Usually kimchee fried rice, the kimchee is part of the cooking process, but Gabriel forgot and literally just dumped it on top at the last 30 seconds.  Which I was kind of surprised he didn't get docked for that, since it was kimchee and spam fried rice. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/11/2021 at 2:26 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

My sister! Or brother? I can't even stand mocha so no tiramisu for me. I have gone to a craft beer show and went around the booths asking "Do you have any beer that doesn't taste like beer?" (Have found exactly one btw-Früli, a strawberry beer.) Most wines too. I also don't eat 99% of seafood so I could never be a judge or host of any food show. Love coconut though. Some of the plates were really beautiful, but I could never eat them. Lemon, limes, vinegar, fungi and dressings are icky.

A kindred spirit!  I hate the taste of both coffee and beer.  I don't eat 100% of seafood, but I love coconut.  I'm not proud of being a picky eater -- I wish I ate everything like others here -- but, at this point in my life, it is what it is.  I could drink coffee or beer if I had to, but I have a gag reflex just at the thought of eating seafood.

Does anyone remember the Top Chef Masters episode where Zooey Deschanel was the guest judge?  She was vegan (which meant no meat, fish, eggs or dairy) and also gluten intolerant (so, nothing wheat-based like pasta or bread) and also didn't eat soy.  At least I'm easier to cook for than that!

Back on topic:  I'm enjoying the new season.  I was so surprised when neither chef was able to get an egg on the plate for the egg and veggie hash dish.  One person even had over 4 minutes left (if I'm remember correctly) when they realized.  I think you definitely could fry eight eggs quickly in four minutes if you hustled.  If I was one of the chefs, I probably would have tried to get the first one -- steak and eggs.  It's straightforward enough, but still easy to "make your own."      

 

 

 

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, candall said:

YES.  I read a Snapple cap that said, "Some countries have banned cooking live octopus because they're so intelligent."  Which led me to investigate.  Those things are awe-mazing!  They're smart, but even more, they play jokes, they make friends, they have musical taste . . .   Yikes.

Watch the movie My Octopus Teacher. It's available on Netflix. Soooooooo good.

I love Shota. He is my favorite. He makes me smile. 

I haven't had a drink in 6 years. I can't stand the taste of any alcohol (cooked or uncooked) and I really hate the smell of beer cooking. I can't imagine what the kitchen smelled like. As my husband and I were watching he said, "you probably would not have loved this challenge."  gag

 The breakfast challenge on the other hand, sign me up and sit me down next to the adorable Chef Melissa.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think it's the hops that turn me off beer. The taste and smell. Very happy I was introduced to hard cider on a trip to England many years ago, and that it blew up here in the past decade. Ha, I wouldn't have been able to do most of this breakfast challenge either.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm happily married to a man but Melissa King can call me. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

21 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Very happy I was introduced to hard cider on a trip to England many years ago

I got turned on to shandy when I was in the UK decades ago. Lovely drink on a hot day. But not for beer haters.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I personally find Dawn every bit as dismissive as Gabe ,I felt they were good partners. Gabe gave up his idea and his protein, complimented her on her ideas and only was bossy when he talked about the pepper. She got to keep her plan, her recipe, basically her whole idea and then dismissed his advice. To me that doesn't paint him in a bad light. 

Count me in the camp that 100 percent believes that the producers gave the judges the orders they were supposed to ask for. I like Blais though, I always have. He makes me laugh and I think that he creates some really interesting food.

It seems like a good group this season.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/10/2021 at 11:28 PM, ProudMary said:

I'm laughing because as I'm reading this thread and your post, I am actually eating a Mounds Bar. 😄 

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!

Just as long as you're not drinking coffee (or beer) while eating the Mounds bar, I think you'll be okay! 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/11/2021 at 4:43 PM, BlackberryJam said:

It drives me crazy when there will be perfectly delicious desserts and they throw in some mocha or freaking toasted coconut and suddenly it’s inedible. 

See, this is how I feel about raspberry. Except they don't always mention on a menu if they decorate a dessert plate with a raspberry "flourish," so I've had so many otherwise delicious-looking desserts ruined that way. Too many times I've played the "is this strawberry or raspberry syrup on the plate?" game and lost HARD.

Funnily enough, when my parents bought me a birthday cake a few years ago at a bakery, the cake had raspberry syrup between the layers of frosting. My mom couldn't see that from the cross-section they showed in the case before she ordered it. I took one bite and had to spit it out. Happy birthday to me!

Back on topic: I've been craving corned beef hash since this episode aired. I might have to try making it. Blais' order was like the kitchen sink of breakfast orders...and surely given to him by producers to order. (If everyone remembers, Blais was kinda pudgy his first season of TC and then lost a bunch of weight after, and has kept it off. I doubt he's maintained his weight ordering potatoes with a side of potatoes for breakfast.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, dvr devotee said:

See, this is how I feel about raspberry. Except they don't always mention on a menu if they decorate a dessert plate with a raspberry "flourish," so I've had so many otherwise delicious-looking desserts ruined that way. Too many times I've played the "is this strawberry or raspberry syrup on the plate?" game and lost HARD.

Funnily enough, when my parents bought me a birthday cake a few years ago at a bakery, the cake had raspberry syrup between the layers of frosting. My mom couldn't see that from the cross-section they showed in the case before she ordered it. I took one bite and had to spit it out. Happy birthday to me!

Back on topic: I've been craving corned beef hash since this episode aired. I might have to try making it. Blais' order was like the kitchen sink of breakfast orders...and surely given to him by producers to order. (If everyone remembers, Blais was kinda pudgy his first season of TC and then lost a bunch of weight after, and has kept it off. I doubt he's maintained his weight ordering potatoes with a side of potatoes for breakfast.)

I feel that way about strawberry!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Surprised nobody mentioned Blais has removed the idiotic wave hairstyle from Ep 1, and had a normal hairdo this week. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/9/2021 at 12:10 PM, snarktini said:

Going into JT, I thought Chris was the one most likely to be knifed for his pasta. Dry, undercooked, thick pasta is usually a deal killer. And not even filled enough! When he was rolling it out I saw the excess flour on the dough, which Tom correctly called, and cringed. My parents make their own and that's not a good thing. But, geez, they really hated Sasha's components even more!

I think Tom made the point that if you compared the whole dishes, Sasha and her partners was worse.  Had it been on components, I think Chris would be gone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/14/2021 at 4:11 PM, ree1778 said:

She got to keep her plan, her recipe, basically her whole idea and then dismissed his advice.

I think her ideas were better (that's why he quickly acquiesced, imo) and she was right about the pepper. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/10/2021 at 6:49 PM, Iseut said:

It was the Red Star tavern. I know I've been by it a zillion times in downtown Portland, but never been inside. 

Unfortunately it has had to close due to Covid.

Edited by Leeds
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/18/2021 at 3:24 PM, lh25 said:

I think Tom made the point that if you compared the whole dishes, Sasha and her partners was worse.  Had it been on components, I think Chris would be gone.

Yes, I think they explained this about judging the EC, that it would be someone from the team with the worst dish going home (not the worst part of a dish).

On 4/12/2021 at 1:09 PM, MMLEsq said:

Does anyone remember the Top Chef Masters episode where Zooey Deschanel was the guest judge?  She was vegan (which meant no meat, fish, eggs or dairy) and also gluten intolerant (so, nothing wheat-based like pasta or bread) and also didn't eat soy.  At least I'm easier to cook for than that!

That was the first thing I thought of when someone mentioned having a "picky eater" challenge. I'd forgotten that was on Masters--was thinking it had been on regular TC.

That one was pretty extreme, but as a vegetarian (not vegan though), I hate how many chefs on these shows often seem to lament if they have to cook vegetarian. There are plenty of great vegetarian dishes out there! Gordon Ramsay tends to really have a hatred for vegetarians. I've just never liked any sort of meat (back from when I was a kid).

I also dislike coconut, but I like beer (a bit too much!) and coffee. For people who don't like beer, sours are really popular now--consider trying those. Some are like drinking limeade, but some are almost like smoothies. They add lactose to some, which makes them creamier. I noticed one of the teams used a sour in their cooking, and I thought that was a good idea, to balance the coffee's bitterness. I wish they'd given a bit more explanation on the show of the different types of beer used. I feel like using a stout was almost cheating, because it has a similar profile to coffee.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/19/2021 at 10:57 PM, buttersister said:

and she was right about the pepper

The only reason he asked that she not use the pepper though was because he wanted his flavors to come through. He was concerned that if they didn't do well he would be kicked out because his protein, his recipe or his ideas weren't being used and if his flavors were completely covered up he'd be the one to go. She basically said, "I'm gonna cook my way and too bad if you don't like it." I thought it was a pretty selfish move on her part. He was lucky it was well received.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think it's selfish to stand up for your dish and style of cooking. That's why they're there. The counterpoint is if their dish ended up being too bland because it wasn't seasoned properly, they would've been dinged super hard for not being flavorful (*cough* Brittany and Sasha) and for compromising their flavors just to make their partner happy. If it's selfish somehow of Dawn to stick to her guns on how her component will be cooked by her, it's equally selfish of Gabriel to demand she weaken her food instead of rising to the challenge of balancing her pepper out. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Rai said:

If it's selfish somehow of Dawn to stick to her guns on how her component will be cooked by her, it's equally selfish of Gabriel to demand she weaken her food instead of rising to the challenge of balancing her pepper out. 

I guess I'm looking at it as their food and their component. I feel like they were supposed to compromise and work the flavors together into one dish.

Edited by ree1778
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

They were challenged to work together and fuse their components into one dish, which they did successfully. Compromising flavor just to make someone happy has proven time and time again on Top Chef to produce mediocre food. Again, given how the ribs were specifically praised, Dawn made the right move.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I had to stop watching TC because of the background music. If I turn it down to where I can stand it, I can't hear/understand the dialog.

Please tell me I'm not the only one. It's very disappointing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

I had to stop watching TC because of the background music. If I turn it down to where I can stand it, I can't hear/understand the dialog.

Please tell me I'm not the only one. It's very disappointing.

The production seems off this season. The sound level of the background music is to high, the graphics are an unreadable color and flashed too quickly, and it feels to me like the editing is showing a dizzying amount of split second cuts and when the camera lingers for a any length of time it’s on faces and not food. 
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, novhappy said:

The production seems off this season. The sound level of the background music is to high, the graphics are an unreadable color and flashed too quickly, and it feels to me like the editing is showing a dizzying amount of split second cuts and when the camera lingers for a any length of time it’s on faces and not food. 
 

Agree 100%.  It's almost like the entire show is being edited and put together on someone's iphone or ipad mini.  I'm trying to train my brain not to even bother noticing the unreadable text, I tend to miss out on what the food actually looks like.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size