Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E09: A Family Stuck

• Start Topic

Janelle is a lot more angry on her couch interviews which I assume was in the late summer, judging by her lip. 

“Some voices in the family want us to stay separated.”  Ummm, we all know that is Robyn and Kody just say their names.

also I think she is more angry now cause it’s Kody choosing to stay away, and not her asking him to.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

Seems like the two youngest Browns are the ones Kody and Robyn are worried about protecting. Solution: Robyn and her spawn should quarantine in their home, but the rest of the family could responsibly see each other. It’s obvious that Robyn and her kids are Kody’s biggest priority. 

The topic of having more babies and or adopting is so ridiculous. Robyn has likely entered peri menopause, and has her hands full with her youngest very high need children. And who would ever choose them to adopt a child when half of their bio kids barely even know their Dad. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

The problem I have with Robyn is that she's the one who constantly tells us how much she loves her sister wives, but if she's pushing her own agenda then it's her sister wives and bonus kids who suffer.  And once she had that legal marriage certificate, Kody has been spending his time primarily with her and their kids at the expense of everyone else.  My take is that if a plural family is actually going to work, one wife shouldn't be able to have that much control over the entire family, which she does.  And Kody is her mouthpiece.

That's Kody not fulfilling what he signed up for.  Just like he is always telling them.  

• Love 11
4 hours ago, lamadeleine said:

1. "You're arguing with a four year old, who has the words of a 10 year old, and the logic of an idiot!"....Kody talking about Ari, but actually describing himself.

A perfect description even if his vocab is a little bigger than Aria.   I am watching season 13 and his presentation about the move to nowhere.  He just has to move, and Robyn hasn't told him it is Flagstaff, but it is obvious that Robyn wants to move her precious children out of the LV schools.  Meri, Janelle and Christine all have valid reasons not to move.   He keeps talking about his leadership.   I really would love an episode where the three "wives"  watch this episode and comment on it and how his leadership has caused the family to fracture even more. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, MV713 said:

My takeaways:

- communication issues is code for "we have had suppressed honest feelings for so many years and dammit we need to air it all out." That would be the highest rated episode of this mess since the catfish.

- The mere fact that Robyn has just "weaned" her 4 year old??? does that mean breastfeeding? with that lumpy thyroid neck issue? GROSS. and to be thinking about even having another spawn?  The only reason why she is saying this is because she may have to go get a job.

- Why is Robyn in the car on her zoom call?  

- Wonky editing with Janelle's mouth cancer - its there, its big, its gone, its red, its a scar, oh look don't see it at all

- I would love for Christine to move back to Utah and wave goodbye with both middle fingers. 

I agree with your second point, especially.  Some of us snark on Janelle for being lazy, but I think Robyn outlazies her.  She's never had a job or done anything since she joined (wrecked!) the fambly, except breed.  My Sister Wives Closet was a joke.  Meri and Janelle will be ahead of the other two when the gravy train ends, with their LuLaRot businesses and whatever else they're selling/shilling.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

The zoom conversation in which they all disagreed about how to handle social distancing was the realest thing I've seen on this show since Meri's catfished banana selfie.  

I felt like, in this episode at least, Kody was responding to Covid and the need to socially distance in a rational, mature, evidence-based way.  I'm not sure if I've ever agreed with him before, so I'm not sure what to do with my feelings surrounding this.  

• LOL 9
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Twopper said:

She will be gone when the money runs out.  I think she just rilly, rilly likes being a legal wife.

Right...I don’t know a lot about American laws regarding inheritance, so maybe someone can enlighten me here: 

What if Kody dies? Robyn is the only legal wife, does that mean she is entitled to everything? Or god forbid; kick the other women out of their homes?? What about stuff like life insurances, mortgages and so? Can you technically make any provisions for others in your will? I’m thinking naming your other wives beneficiaries to a life insurance or so?

I believe some mentioned before that spiritual wives have no legal rights or what so ever. If that’s really true, it absolutely sucks being 2nd or 3rd wife...

4 minutes ago, LilyDutch said:

Right...I don’t know a lot about American laws regarding inheritance, so maybe someone can enlighten me here: 

What if Kody dies? Robyn is the only legal wife, does that mean she is entitled to everything? Or god forbid; kick the other women out of their homes?? What about stuff like life insurances, mortgages and so? Can you technically make any provisions for others in your will? I’m thinking naming your other wives beneficiaries to a life insurance or so?

I believe some mentioned before that spiritual wives have no legal rights or what so ever. If that’s really true, it absolutely sucks being 2nd or 3rd wife...

You can put assets directly in the woman’s name instead of your own in the first place.  You can have life insurance policies with the proceeds going to your listed children.  Each of the four women here had mortgages and deeds to homes  in their own names.  You can leave inheritances to anyone you want in your will.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I am trying to understand why it's Janelle who seems the most eager to "be one family." 

It's easiest and cheapest? Ignoring the personalities and dynamics, at least in the present, one house would seem to make the most sense. It's a single build; one mortgage, one set of utility bills, housekeeping responsibilities divided amongst the adults. More time for Kody to spend with the wives since he's not commuting from home to home. More keeping with the spirit of them being one single family. 

What if Kody dies? Robyn is the only legal wife, does that mean she is entitled to everything?

If he dies without a will, everything goes to his next of kin, in this case, Robyn, his legal wife. She also would be the one to make legal and medical decisions for him if he were incapacitated (more than his usual level). I wonder ... added to my never-ending list of financial wonders about this family, if they have actually taken the time to draft wills (if not for all of them, at least for Kody). And does he/they have life insurance? That's not cheap either and as far as I can tell, there's no employer to provide it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Twopper said:

A perfect description even if his vocab is a little bigger than Aria.   I am watching season 13 and his presentation about the move to nowhere.  He just has to move, and Robyn hasn't told him it is Flagstaff, but it is obvious that Robyn wants to move her precious children out of the LV schools.  Meri, Janelle and Christine all have valid reasons not to move.   He keeps talking about his leadership.   I really would love an episode where the three "wives"  watch this episode and comment on it and how his leadership has caused the family to fracture even more. 

I've always wondered if the move to Las Vegas was also prompted by Robyn since she has family there.  Family close enough to be present and film the birth of one of her children (although I can't remember which one).  

Robyn wears the pants, the shirt, the suspenders, the boots, and the belt in this family and I suspect has from the very beginning.

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

I've always wondered if the move to Las Vegas was also prompted by Robyn since she has family there.  Family close enough to be present and film the birth of one of her children (although I can't remember which one).  

Robyn wears the pants, the shirt, the suspenders, the boots, and the belt in this family and I suspect has from the very beginning.

When they decided on LV, Kody said that he had always been attracted to the bright lights of the city.  Never one to miss an an opportunity, Robyn chose a lot where the balcony/deck off the master bedroom would provide a romantic view of neon.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Her mother filmed Aria's birth, but her step dad was close by.  It was very creepy.    I don't know that they lived in LV;  I just thought they were in town awaiting the birth.  That's an interesting theory.  I have heard it mentioned Kody had been wanting to live there.    He reminds me of an addict that seeks a "geographical cure' thinking that will cure the addiction.   I think Kody just moves when things or the family get messy for him. The wives did a recital of the number of moves they had made and it was a ridiculous number.  People in the military don't usually make that many moves in a 30 year career.

Robyn is definitely the wife that is the neck that turns the head.   And it is a big neck.

• Love 21

I got nothing except that I visited Sedona in the before times and fell in love with it. The sunset spot they were at was at the top of the road up by the little airport , called Airport Mesa.  I hope they had dinner at the restaurant there; the food was fantastic! My husband still talks about it. I hope I have a chance to go back. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

It's easiest and cheapest? Ignoring the personalities and dynamics, at least in the present, one house would seem to make the most sense. It's a single build; one mortgage, one set of utility bills, housekeeping responsibilities divided amongst the adults. More time for Kody to spend with the wives since he's not commuting from home to home. More keeping with the spirit of them being one single family. 

If he dies without a will, everything goes to his next of kin, in this case, Robyn, his legal wife. She also would be the one to make legal and medical decisions for him if he were incapacitated (more than his usual level). I wonder ... added to my never-ending list of financial wonders about this family, if they have actually taken the time to draft wills (if not for all of them, at least for Kody). And does he/they have life insurance? That's not cheap either and as far as I can tell, there's no employer to provide it.

I don't know about the state of Arizona but in GA this is not the case. If Kody died intestate in GA the court would divide up the assets among his wife and heirs. The wife could get a child's share but not less than 1/3. She would not get it all. Any life insurance that he has goes to the named beneficiary not necessarily the spouse. But what are we talking about. He most likely has a mountain of debt not assets. At the most Robyn would get his social security as would Meri when they reach age 60. Until then Robyn is SOL so she better get busy of MSWC crap.  Meri has her Lularoe business and the B&B. Christine has her Lularoe and not sure what Janelle would do. But I would love to see the three of them pitch a show to TLC leaving Robyn out.  

Edited by 65mickey
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Onceafan said:

For instance if you are a divorced parent, and your child typically spends the weekend with you, but currently can't because of the pandemic

This varies by state, so some custody agreements  could not be altered even if that meant guidelines technically were not being followed. Shelter in place orders did not supersede custody orders. Parents would have to agree, or a court order changing the custody agreement would have to be approved. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ladle said:

The zoom conversation in which they all disagreed about how to handle social distancing was the realest thing I've seen on this show since Meri's catfished banana selfie.  

I felt like, in this episode at least, Kody was responding to Covid and the need to socially distance in a rational, mature, evidence-based way.  I'm not sure if I've ever agreed with him before, so I'm not sure what to do with my feelings surrounding this.  

Only because it suits his purposes.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, 65mickey said:

But what are we talking about. He most likely has a mountain of debt not assets. At the most Robyn would get his social security as would Meri when they reach age 60. 

That is what I'm wondering about (heaven help me, that I actually expend thought-energy on this).  Would his widow/legal wife be responsible for paying off his debt?  

• Love 1

I generally don't like to question the religious beliefs of others, especially since my own religious beliefs likely evoke plenty of eye-rolling, but Robyn's little song and dance about the dark-haired child floating around in heaven, just waiting for her to envelop him in her womb, was truly wack.  Somebody really needs to tell her how babies are made.  Maybe Christine could send Truly over to fill her in.  Oh, wait, can't.  Covid.  

And Kody claiming that HIS blonde hair was dominant among his children... three of his four "wives" are blonde or blonde-ish.  

• Love 22

Mod Announcement & Friendly Reminder:

Please keep the discussion in episode threads focused on the actual episode, discussion of the cast members social media posts etc, is better suited to the appropriate cast threads. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, vaccines should solve some of the precaution issues. There is still the issue of the children under 16, but at least most everyone else can get they are

They area all liars. There are no precaution issues in Flagstaff. Since August or before,  schools open, restaurants open, gyms open. I was dining indoors in Flagstaff in June.   Absolutely no reason whatsoever not to have fambly gatherings,  unless of course you don't want to see your fambly. No excuse for road side anniversary and birthday dinners. COVID gives Kodick an excuse for being a crappy father, that's it. 

• Love 10

I think Kody just moves when things or the family get messy for him.

I'm still of the belief that they move when the finances make it necessary. I think they put down very little on the LV houses and had lower interest rates or perhaps interest-only loans. I think something triggered a dramatic increase on the monthly cost of the LV homes, triggering the moves. I think that since things haven't worked out with housing in AZ, they will be moving again soon.

They area all liars. There are no precaution issues in Flagstaff. Since August or before,  schools open, restaurants open, gyms open. I was dining indoors in Flagstaff in June.   Absolutely no reason whatsoever not to have fambly gatherings,  unless of course you don't want to see your fambly. No excuse for road side anniversary and birthday dinners. COVID gives Kodick an excuse for being a crappy father, that's it. 

Stuff might be open but that doesn't mean that people feel safe going there...

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 17
5 hours ago, Onceafan said:

As many of us are aware, Christine and Robyn were self isolating with their own children, and yet those two "bubbles" still could not interact. The reasoning behind this is simple. Robyn does not trust Christine.

Exactly!  My extended family quarantined separately, then combined our quarantines.  Once kids went back to school, we all separated again.

• Love 8

It was disappointing (but not surprising) that Janelle didn't speak up when Christine said she feels like she doesn't matter to say that Christine matters to her and to her (Janelle's) kids. I think Janelle's kids all feel close to Christine since she primarily filled the Mom role for them.

• Love 17
17 minutes ago, absolutelyido said:

It was disappointing (but not surprising) that Janelle didn't speak up when Christine said she feels like she doesn't matter to say that Christine matters to her and to her (Janelle's) kids. I think Janelle's kids all feel close to Christine since she primarily filled the Mom role for them.

It almost felt to me as though Janelle was conducting a survey of the other wives.  It reminded me of those telephone or mall interviewers that ask your opinion on certain brands of product without discourse or input from her.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, nosedive said:

That is what I'm wondering about (heaven help me, that I actually expend thought-energy on this).  Would his widow/legal wife be responsible for paying off his debt?  

She'd probably just declare bankruptcy.  All the other wives have.  Kootie couldn't provide for them & the children, yet Robyn wants to have another kid.  He'll be 65 when Areolabella graduates from high school and already has 3 grandkids.  If he wants to see little ones, go visit them! (post-Covid), especially since he only seems to like them when they are little.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

It almost felt to me as though Janelle was conducting a survey of the other wives.  It reminded me of those telephone or mall interviewers that ask your opinion on certain brands of product without discourse or input from her.

Agree. "Do you think that a change in our communication styles will help you feel better? Yes? Ok good. Bye"  They've been working on their  communication and relationships for 15 seasons now. WTF is Janelle even talking about now? 

I think the producers are just trolling us. We got all excited last week when Meri and Kody actually did say things. The TV people  had to teach us a lesson. I picture the editors in their little booths going, "haha, throw in some communication S###,  get the 'one family,' 'one house' crap in. Oh don't forget to use the word safe." 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

In Arizona probate law, intestate succession (if Kody dies without a Will) would leave anything that is not disposed by a Will or Trust (or life insurance) as follows:

If you die with:  a spouse and descendants from you and someone other than that spouse, here’s what happens:

• spouse inherits 1/2 of your separate property but no interest in the 1/2 of the community property that belonged to you
  • children inherit 1/2 of separate property and the 1/2 of the community property that belonged to you

So Robyn will probably make sure Kody has a Will that leaves everything to her/her children.  😞

• Love 6
5 hours ago, nosedive said:

And Kody claiming that HIS blonde hair was dominant among his children... three of his four "wives" are blonde or blonde-ish.  

The fact that Kody believes blond hair is a dominant trait in any context cancels out his semi-reasonable response to COVID. Science: 1, Kody: 0.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

I mean, I don’t think he’s ever needed an excuse...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Exactly!  My extended family quarantined separately, then combined our quarantines.  Once kids went back to school, we all separated again.

Yes, but something like this would require planning, coordination, and self-control.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Lamima said:

Kody is going from house to house so all are at equal risk at this point and it makes ZERO sense to have the ladies and kids stay away from each other. Unless Kody spends 2 weeks all alone between wives homes, and he doesn't. 

They have done this all wrong, and the excuse that at the beginning none of us knew exactly what to do (why, then, did my family and friends and I know *exactly* what to do: follow Dr. Fauci's recommendations, even when his advice about masks changed?  That's what science does; when new information enters the picture, you change your response)?  They were talking about two-week quarantines when it made no sense, and they are congratulating themselves (some of them, at least) for "keeping their family safe" even as two dumbass sons of Janelle are going out on dates and going to work?  Why the hell don't they quarantine the two boys--for the duration?  These houses are enormous; surely there's a couple of bedrooms/baths that could be kept separate from the rest of the family where these boys could quarantine for as long as they're going out presumably unprotected.  At the very least, Janelle should insist on social distancing and masks all around when they're interacting with these two.

And another thing:  How many damn vehicles does Krusty own/lease?  A man in financial difficulties does not drive around in what appears to be a brand-new convertible, just the wheels for a ridiculously large family.

• Love 12

If I took a shot for every time they use the word “safe” I would be drunk 10 minutes into the show. 

Did Nancy give them this word, cause they always use it. The conversation doesn’t feel safe. I don’t feel safe to have this discussion. It’s a fine line between being honest and being safe.

so does safe really mean I just don’t want to hear anyone say anything negative so I’m going to use this buzz word so we can continue to avoid each other and our problems?

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

If I took a shot for every time they use the word “safe” I would be drunk 10 minutes into the show. 

Did Nancy give them this word, cause they always use it. The conversation doesn’t feel safe. I don’t feel safe to have this discussion. It’s a fine line between being honest and being safe.

so does safe really mean I just don’t want to hear anyone say anything negative so I’m going to use this buzz word so we can continue to avoid each other and our problems?

I wish I had paid more attention when I was binge-watching the first two seasons.   They may have picked it up from their therapist Pat in Utah and then her successor Nancy probably also used it.  They used it when they talked about being "safe" from prosecution and persecution in Utah or other places. LV was safe, but a lot of places they could move to were not safe.  They also use it in the emotional sense as a shield against criticism, conflict.  It means whatever the speaker needs it to mean, but the problem is that may not always be what the hearer interprets is as meaning.  

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Why the hell don't they quarantine the two boys--for the duration?  These houses are enormous; surely there's a couple of bedrooms/baths that could be kept separate from the rest of the family where these boys could quarantine for as long as they're going out presumably unprotected.

Absolutely but that would require a basic modicum of common sense. 

Yes, things were confusing at the beginning but much was written about how health care professionals were handling this so there was no reason for their continued befuddlement. They just continue to provide evidence of their lack of anything resembling working brains.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Key words..."since August" -- I believe these episodes are from March, April, (initial work/business shut down) and maybe May (2020). Early on protective measures were often changing as medical experts learned more about COVID and changed their recommendations accordingly. I think Kody was desperate to have something--anything--to use as a topic for this season's episodes just to keep the show going.

• Love 6

Janelle wants open and honest communication.  Christine isn't at all interested in this because she knows that if she spoke honestly, she would say what is obvious to everyone:  Krusty wants to be married to Robbin', which he is already, and he wants the rest of them to just go away.  Christine feels she is not important in the family; that is because she isn't important in the family.  Krusty likes Janelle, I think, and he hates Meri.  Christine is too smart and/or sensitive for him--she's got his number in a way none of the others does.  If Christine speaks honestly, she will become at least the emotional outcast (more than she is already) and perhaps the literal outcast, and she doesn't want that, goddess knows why.

When Robbin' becomes pregnant, Christine is going to go nuts, but quietly.  Meri won't care one way or the other, and Janelle will be happy for them, I guess.

Robbin' is, btw, nutty as a fruitcake, with her unborn spirit children whose gender and hair color she knows even pre-conception.  Krusty probably finds this adorable.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, kimaken said:

Key words..."since August" -- I believe these episodes are from March, April, (initial work/business shut down) and maybe May (2020). Early on protective measures were often changing as medical experts learned more about COVID and changed their recommendations accordingly. I think Kody was desperate to have something--anything--to use as a topic for this season's episodes just to keep the show going.

And to present it as if only polygamists were so hugely affected by it.

I know several divorced people who faced this same dilemma about quarantining and not being able to see their children.  Monogamist friends.  Kody always has to act as if polygamists are more affected by the same bullshit that affects everyone.  He's such an insufferable asshole.  

I can only imagine what a massive blow it was to his ego when Janelle informed him her kids would rather go hang out at Christine's than have a visit with him.  I'm a horrible human being so I slapped my knee and giggled at that one.  He deserves a few reminders that he's not father of the year and the older children know just where they stand with him and are returning the favor.

Blech 🤢

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

Janelle wants open and honest communication.  Christine isn't at all interested in this because she knows that if she spoke honestly, she would say what is obvious to everyone:  Krusty wants to be married to Robbin', which he is already, and he wants the rest of them to just go away. 

My question is - why all of a sudden does the wife who typically sat in on the couch interviews so checked out that she may as well have been on Mars suddenly want open and honest communication between the wives?  What's her angle?  Why now is she all worked up over the family potentially splitting up, when she herself bailed on the family when her kids were little and showed little to no interested in raising her own kids, let alone her bonus kids?  There has to be a reason - these women do NOTHING without an ulterior motive.  I feel like Nancy Drew here, looking for clues but coming up empty.  Anyone?

Also - with Kody being such an attention ho and always wanting to be THE MAN, why is he pushing away the two women who seem to want him the most - Meri and Christine?  Janelle - who knows what she wants, but instead he's living with Robyn who seems to enjoy emasculating him on the regular.  Where's our therapists?  @Onceafan@Twopper?  Anyone else?  Bueller?  I need answers!

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 2
  • Love 15

I don’t actually believe that Robyn wants to have another baby.

She wants to be the centre of attention and have everyone but especially Kody talk about it endlessly. She has nothing else to bring to the show. Even if she did have another baby there is no guarantee it would be a dark haired son. What if it was a red haired daughter ? Robyn just wants to be seen as the young fertile wife.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

I believe that Robyn and Meri are actually a lot alike. Both of them avoid making a decision so that they can continue to solicit attention from Kody. And both make every decision a drama, whether it's the lack of a rental house or putting in a wet bar. Both of them like to cry. I believe Kody said that crap about hurting another wife's feelings because Robyn cried all the way home after Christine dared to say she feels like everyone hates her. 

With Meri, Kody eventually made the decision about a baby/fertility treatments for her. I wonder if he will put his foot down with Robyn. I suspect Robyn will be in Meri's spot in about 20 years. 

Maybe that dark haired little boy is one of Kody's other kids that he never pays attention to.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Shelbie said:

She wants to be the centre of attention and have everyone but especially Kody talk about it endlessly. She has nothing else to bring to the show. Even if she did have another baby there is no guarantee it would be a dark haired son. What if it was a red haired daughter ? Robyn just wants to be seen as the young fertile wife.

I think they are scratching for storylines and this is all they can come up with.  At the time of filming, Mykelti probably wasn't pregnant yet, so they couldn't fill 15 minutes of airtime with that. Meri prostrated herself at the picnic from hell last week, so this week she all but absented herself.  What are we left with...Janelle's interviews and how they are coping with Covid.  I can imagine Kody franticly calling a Zoom meeting asking them all to spitball ideas and Robyn's proposed spirit child that is calling out to her was the best they could come up with.  They even tossed in the idea of adoption, knowing it would cause chatter.

They are all desperate to hang on to the TLC Golden Goose and if it means something radical to fill airtime, they'll do it.  Maybe Kody will even be convinced to sacrifice his golden curls, that would be good for about 2 episodes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7