Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E09: A Family Stuck

• Start Topic

The Brown family is having problems communicating, and when Janelle sets out to resolve things, it's apparent that maybe some things can't be fixed. Then, Robyn opens up to Kody about having more children.

Air Date: April 11, 2021

Same formula. More talk about working on communications and relationships...intentionally vague...and seems like filler.

Meri isn't even in this family so it was nice to include her in the zoom I guess- lol. 

I am trying to understand why it's Janelle who seems the most eager to "be one family." 

Robyn's dark haired boy stuff was at least entertaining.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

Christine and Janelle sort of talking about moving on? If so, what do they think hey will live on, especially Christine? Of course Robyn wants another baby. Kody can have no sex with anyone else until she is pregnant I bet? 

• Love 3

I’m not exactly a fan of anyone on this show. But I guess if I’m going to continue to tear my hair out because I think Meri, Janelle, and Christine are kind of doormat-y and put up with too much crap from Kody, then I have to admire Robyn for consistently advocating on behalf of herself and her kids. Whatever power or influence she has is exactly as much as Kody allows, so good for her if she can swing it. If the other moms were as strong, they might have realized it was in fact possible to keep all the families safe and Kody (and anyone else who cared to) could be visiting safely throughout. I know several people including myself who have a safe extended bubble. It takes care, but it’s possible if you’re motivated.

if Robyn is some kind of bad guy for pushing her own agenda, then I guess the weaklings would be the admirable ones. And I just don’t see it that way. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6

Shut up, Robyn.  Ari and Sol struggle when they don't see their dad?  So does Truely.  So does Gabe.  And Savannah, and Gwen, and Ysabel, and Garrison.  Kody is an equal opportunity idiot to all of his kids, not just Robyn's.  But you can be darn sure that Ari and Sol are struggling the least of all.

But they're the youngest. And evidently no one has ever worked with Ari around bedtime so she's so difficult to put down for the night. Blah, blah, blah. I think it's hard on some of the older kids to not see Kody but I think plenty of them are just as glad when he's not around. I think he throws a wrench into whatever working family dynamic they have without him and I think some of them are wise to the fact that their mothers are second-class citizens to Kody. That doesn't make it right, but I think most of Kody's kids do just fine without him.

• Love 18
33 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I’m not exactly a fan of anyone on this show. But I guess if I’m going to continue to tear my hair out because I think Meri, Janelle, and Christine are kind of doormat-y and put up with too much crap from Kody, then I have to admire Robyn for consistently advocating on behalf of herself and her kids. Whatever power or influence she has is exactly as much as Kody allows, so good for her if she can swing it. If the other moms were as strong, they might have realized it was in fact possible to keep all the families safe and Kody (and anyone else who cared to) could be visiting safely throughout. I know several people including myself who have a safe extended bubble. It takes care, but it’s possible if you’re motivated.

if Robyn is some kind of bad guy for pushing her own agenda, then I guess the weaklings would be the admirable ones. And I just don’t see it that way. 

I am no Robyn fan, but following covid precautions is a no brainer.  So when Janelle and Christine can’t be bothered with it, it says a lot about them.  It’s pretty sad when Robyn is smarter about someone on a matter.  

I still don’t care for Robyn starting back when she threw her ex under the bus and trashed the father of her children.  It’s hard to recover from psycho behavior like that.  Kody will eventually get his turn. You know he’s been warned.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 14

Ugh. Another episode of the family that can't make up their mind about the covid rules.  HOW many hours of this self filmed crapola did the producers have to sift through to piece this sad season together?

The zoom meeting on this episode honestly feels like the first that they had.  They open with "oh...we like this better than a group text" as if this zoom is the first... It was early in the year because the growth on Janelle's lip is quite large and I think they fiddled with the timeline (shocker) because she mentions Hunter coming home for the summer, and that only now entered the storyline.

The "we need to work on our communication" is a contrived storyline.  Imma sittin' here rollin' my eyes that they haven't figured out communication by now, especially with the boxes of notes in Nancy's office.  The scenes of Janelle going to Christine's house and Robyn in Janelle's backyard are both shot by the professionals, not on mobile phones, so it's later in the year.  Not as late as the scene with Janelle and the boys because her tomato plants are small and not producing yet. But in both the growth is just a scar and so it is after May at minimum. I think the film crew was there earlier in the year than we are led to believe.

Christine's response about not being important is met by Janelle with her classic crickets and upward stare as she pushes a real and true feeling into the void to pull out the "stick to the storyline" of ""Well, improved communication will help you feel important".  To quote Robyn...REALLY JANELLE?? What Christine really needs is some good old fashioned respect and they all need to hash out the real and dirty brutal honesty.

And...since the "communication" storyline peaked my curiosity, I went back this morning to rewatch the first episodes conversation in the restaurant about "why we want to live polygamy" (yawn) and noted that Janelle is seated so you can't really see her lip, but when she jumps up to hug Robyn because of the pink elephants swinging from the ceiling the growth is not on her lip.

It is my opinion that there was so little to piece together over this past year that the "communication" storyline was put together after the film crew returned to try to have something other than the death of Meri/Kody's relationship, Christine's spiral into the void and Robyn's late night sleepless visions.

Robyn has been able to communicate with Kody from the beginning just fine, and he then "communicates" Robyn's will onto all the others.  I do find it interesting that it was Christine who pulled Kody into realizing that polygamy isn't what he thought or wanted it to be and started him on the path of doubting it all.

ETA: The baby conversation with Robyn and Kody is professionally filmed too...

Edited by Roslyn
another thought
  • Useful 7
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, lamadeleine said:

Yeah- this family is incapable of the simplest of group decisions, so watching them try to figure this one out is maddening.

Takeaways:

1. "You're arguing with a four year old, who has the words of a 10 year old, and the logic of an idiot!"....Kody talking about Ari, but actually describing himself.

2. Robyn dry-crying about her spirit children.....oh holy hell, STFU. Robyn using her 'belief system' to justify an incredibly selfish idea.

3. Kody talking about how much he loves the "little ones" because they're so sweet. Yeah, until they grow up and develop personalities and opinions...then he can't be bothered. He's like one of those awful people who love puppies, but give the dog away as soon as it gets older.

4. Even if Kristine and Kody are having problems, Kristine's birthday date was a HUGE upgrade from the sad roadside debacle that was Kody/Meri's anniversary.

5. No participation by Meri in the great communication breakdown summit meetings of 2020...even if this a totally contrived plot line, I'd still liked to have seen Janelle attempt to have a one-on-one with Meri...or at least mention whether or not an attempt was made.

Janelle said on Twitter she did talk to Meri.  I’m not sure if it will be shown next week or it was cut altogether for some reason.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, winsomeone said:

If Robyn is trying to get pregnant, and might be at any time, then Kody will have to stay away from the rest of the family. Can't infect her while she is pregnant.

The selfishness and myopia of that woman never ceases to amaze me.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Lamima said:

Kody is going from house to house so all are at equal risk at this point and it makes ZERO sense to have the ladies and kids stay away from each other. Unless Kody spends 2 weeks all alone between wives homes, and he doesn't. 

After talking about how he and Janelle had never been separated as long as 5 weeks, except in COVID (which is a lie), and how hard it was, Kody said that he would not return to Janelle's for the first two weeks of Hunter's visit from the Air Force Academy.  Presumably, Hunter would have had to shown his negative COVID test and attested that he did not display symptoms to travel.  And, he may have had the most access to those tests, PPE and monitoring through the military.  But that was not good enough for Kody.  Kody can wait to see his son, especially after his son's major accomplishment.

Also, it looks like Kody went directly from Christine's to Janelle's on or around Christine's birthday and then returned to Christine's for her postponed birthday drive.  They made his stay with Janelle and the postponement sound like more than a few days.

• Love 12

Christine said that Sedona was the first place that they met Nancy, but I thought that she was based out of Utah - one of the few places where she could specialize in polygamy.  Then, she followed them to Las Vegas and swung a few vacations to Texas and Arizona.  

Robyn has her late-night visits from her spirit babies, and Christine gets the spirit of Nancy in her anniversaries.

Edited by Grifter Lives
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

The problem I have with Robyn is that she's the one who constantly tells us how much she loves her sister wives, but if she's pushing her own agenda then it's her sister wives and bonus kids who suffer.  And once she had that legal marriage certificate, Kody has been spending his time primarily with her and their kids at the expense of everyone else.  My take is that if a plural family is actually going to work, one wife shouldn't be able to have that much control over the entire family, which she does.  And Kody is her mouthpiece.

I get what you’re saying and I don’t really disagree. But I feel the other wives should take a lesson from Robyn and push Kody just as hard. 

• Love 5

Honestly, if they can’t communicate by now they never will. The three original wives seem to be controlled and largely silenced by Kody and his temper tantrums (this is one way narcissists control; they throw up big walls of scary emotions and actions when they’re displeased). Robyn, for all her faults, speaks up. The others should follow suit AND stick by their guns. I believe it would force some sort of resolution to this mess of a “family.” Kody’s subsequent actions would clarify everything. 

• Love 13

All this blather about another spawn happened, what, a year ago?  No word of any more births so apparently that's off the table.  That's why this is all so stupid and pointless.  With SM the center of their lives, we already know what's going on so this is all just a pointless attempt at drama.

• Love 20
11 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

I am trying to understand why it's Janelle who seems the most eager to "be one family." 

Robyn's dark haired boy stuff was at least entertaining.

Process of elimination?  Robyn wants one family, but she wants just a nuclear family with Kody so she doesn't want 'one family" with the others. Meri thinks everyone hates her so she's out, but Kody kicked her out eons ago.  Christine has finally realized she and her girls are unimportant to Kody and she is ready to be a full time granny in Utah.  Kody wants to be a nuclear family with Robyn and Solomon and Aurora.   They had trouble keeping the family together for a year or two when they were in rentals in LV so why anyone thinks the family will hold together in Flagstaff when everyone lives miles apart is beyond my comprehension    Even if it were possible to move everyone together  in another cul-de-sac tomorrow, it would probably be too late to save this bunch.  

They need more story lines so Robyn probably thinks her dark-haired spirit baby would add more seasons.  

Math continues to  be hard for Kody.  He announces he will be 72 when Aria graduates from college.  But he has just said he is 50 now and Aria is 2 so he was 48 when she was born.  If she graduates when she is 22, he will only be 70, not 72.   He took 5 of the girls with him to the beach, but kept referring to the "five of us."

1 hour ago, lamadeleine said:

4. Even if Kristine and Kody are having problems, Kristine's birthday date was a HUGE upgrade from the sad roadside debacle that was Kody/Meri's anniversary.

yes, the trip to Sedona looked breath-taking to this girl of the southeastern heavily wooded mountains.   All those red rocks amaze me.  And it was nice they didn't drag Nancy along like they did on the  'Anniversary trip to Galveston."   I still wish Christine had thrown those rocks at Kody after he said something to the effect that he could only love her if she loved his huge family.   So Christine you and Kody were never really a couple like you thought you were. 

1 hour ago, Roslyn said:

The "we need to work on our communication" is a contrived storyline. 

and I am truely sick of it.  It was bad enough to see a flashback to the group hug that Nancy ordered in Sedona.  Speaking of Nancy,  maybe she should have had her own thread.   I am sure they only saw her when they were filming.   I doubt the best therapists in the LV area would be willing to film at all so they got stuck with Nancy.  I think Janelle is the one who has the best understanding of the family finances and she is willing to do her part to get more seasons and holding the family together seems the best way to her.  Like many other people, I would like to see the show after everyone abandons Kody to Robyn.  I am not sure the wedding of Mariah and Audrey is enough to carry another season especially with people still supposed to mask and social distance even after being vaccinated.  

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

There is a difference between enforcing COVID rules as a precaution, and using COVID to control the people around you and their relationships. I have seen this in my own life over the past year. People use COVID as a weapon, and if you call them out on it, that means you want people to DIE. I am liking Robyn less and less. COVID was the perfect excuse for keeping Kody at her house most of the time. It was also the perfect excuse to keep her kids in the house and all to herself. I'm thinking Robyn has serious control issues that go beyond just Kody. Everyone else's adult kids went off to college or work or the military. But none of Robyn's kids leave the house.

Christine raised Janelle's kids. It's nice to see Janelle at least partially acknowledge that. I think Christine just wants someone to acknowledge how much she has contributed to the family. And for someone to admit that she's not the only one who doesn't want to live together.

I don't know and I go back and forth. Technically Robyn isn't keeping Kody to herself. He's still traveling from house to house.

Supposedly this was filmed 6-8 weeks into the pandemic. Caution at a time when so much was not understood seems reasonable to me. Janelle's older children were not following safety guidelines so why should Robyn agree to getting together with them? 

Yes it makes no sense for kody to go house to house AND claim covid rules - however statistically speaking, the more people that gather, the higher the risk. So for once, I sort of agree with Robyn here given the context of the time (April 2020?)

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Grifter Lives said:

Christine said that Sedona was the first place that they met Nancy, but I thought that she was based out of Utah - one of the few places where she could specialize in polygamy.  Then, she followed them to Las Vegas and swung a few vacations to Texas and Arizona.  

The therapist in Utah was a woman named Pat who I think had a little experience either working with polygamists in her practice or just in living with them in the area.   Pat found Nancy who was a therapist in the LV area and who agreed to take on the Browns, but she had no experience or training in polygamist families at all.   I don't recall sessions with Pat being televised.   The patients-therapist relationship between Pat and the Browns supposedly evolved into friendship.  Pat at some point moved to Galveston, Tx, and Kody took Christine on an anniversary trip to see Pat who said she was a friend and couldn't counsel them (also she may not have been licensed in TX) so they brought Nancy with them to Galveston.  If Mr Twopper ever arranged an anniversary trip like that for me, he would be the ex-Mr. Twopper faster than he could say "boo."   But Christine gets crumbs from Kody.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Robyn stop with this nonsense about another baby. You've had 5. And your last is 4 and still sucking on a pacifier.  Kody has 13 other children besides yours. He barely sees them. His older sons have his # and they have lost all respect for him.  This is your way to ensure that Kody is in your home and only yours to help you with the new baby who will be a baby for the next 5 years. Robyn is the ultimate selfish sister wife thinking and caring about only what she wants.  If this should we or shouldn't we is just a story line for the next season it's pathetic. 

And still sucking on her boob til what?  3 or so?

Go look at Day-Un, Robo.  Last I saw, he had dark hair.  You're pathetic. 

Shut your thin-lipped piehole, and quit spitting out nonsense.

I'm happy that your littlest is still keeping you up at night, Kootie.  Maybe that way, Robo will never get pregnant.

Another kid is the LAST thingk you need.

Edited by xwordfanatik
add a line
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, Grifter Lives said:

Robyn has her late-night visits from her spirit babies, and Christine gets the spirit of Nancy in her anniversaries.

Last rites. Dead.  Arms across chest. Joined the choir invisible. Buried.

18 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

When Kody said that about arguing with a four-year-old...with the logic of an idiot, I loved the camera shot of Kody’s noble profile, hair flapping, immediately after. 

Hilarious.   Just hilarious and so true. 

57 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Honestly, if they can’t communicate by now they never will. The three original wives seem to be controlled and largely silenced by Kody and his temper tantrums (this is one way narcissists control; they throw up big walls of scary emotions and actions when they’re displeased).

this is one reason I think they all have some version of Stockholm syndrome with Meri having a super bad case.  It really became much more obvious when I binge-watched a bunch of episodes.   You can really see it during this presentation about the move from LV.;   They all seemed resigned to it especially after he ridicules any concern about the children being uprooted again.   Also he kept saying it was never his plan to stay in Vegas, but I don't recall his saying that originally.   Also he talks about the wives not wanting to move and being happy in the cul-de-sac.  I don't think he cared that they were happy, and he preferred to keep them off-balance and upset.  I think he is just horrid.

• Love 22

I think Kody is always supposed to want more children to populate his eventual planet but I believe he is over having them. He is tired of dealing with them and then seeing them change as they grow up and justifiably seem to have little love or respect for him.

I can’t blame him for not wanting more but I do blame him for not outright saying it and being a crap father to all his children.

• Love 15
13 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

Meri was just such a non-factor on that zoom call. I am almost embarrassed for her.

I think that was the same Zoom call from an earlier episode.  Meri was checked out, with Mosby on her lap.  It was her only appearance in this episode.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

I don't know and I go back and forth. Technically Robyn isn't keeping Kody to herself. He's still traveling from house to house.

Supposedly this was filmed 6-8 weeks into the pandemic. Caution at a time when so much was not understood seems reasonable to me. Janelle's older children were not following safety guidelines so why should Robyn agree to getting together with them? 

Yes it makes no sense for kody to go house to house AND claim covid rules - however statistically speaking, the more people that gather, the higher the risk. So for once, I sort of agree with Robyn here given the context of the time (April 2020?)

True.  I’m no expert, but have read a huge amount regarding precautions and it’s true that the more exposure, the more the risk.  Even if Kody travels between households with precautions, you quadruple the risk by having all family members intermingle.  

I’m not sure why people get the impression that Robyn wants Kody to herself.  I think she’s annoyed by him.  

One thing that may save this season is if part of the family packs up and moves to Utah. And maybe. Janelle to NC. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m not sure why people get the impression that Robyn wants Kody to herself.  I think she’s annoyed by him.  

She will be gone when the money runs out.  I think she just rilly, rilly likes being a legal wife.

I recall a discussion among the four women about how when Kody was gone one or more children would sleep with them.  Meri said Mariah did it until she was 8 or 9.  Christine shared a bed with Mykelti and Janelle was sleeping with Maddie.  I think Robyn co-slept with hers as long as they let her.  I am sure she wants to still sleep with Aria but the girl is bouncing on the sofa all night.  

Both Janelle and Christine were very lax in the discipline department, and I think that chore fell to Meri, but now Janelle and Christine and their children resent her for it.   There was the scene at the beginning of the show when they had gone Christmas tree shopping and Gabe socked either Hunter or Garrison and Janelle seemed to freeze, although she did get a paper towel for the blood.   Gabe repeated this behavior a few years later in LV after a trip to the movies, and he lied about it.  I think his punishment that time was not be allowed to join the family for poker night.    

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

Robyn, entering Janelle's yard: "I'm actually really grateful that we've figured out a way to see each other."

Yes, hanging out outside and distanced.  Why didn't anyone else think of that?!  Somebody nominate the Brown family for the Nobel prize!  

Has Christine figured out how to use the "enhance appearance" feature on Zoom, or is she looking really good these days?

• LOL 2
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Shelbie said:

I think Kody is always supposed to want more children to populate his eventual planet but I believe he is over having them. He is tired of dealing with them and then seeing them change as they grow up and justifiably seem to have little love or respect for him.

I can’t blame him for not wanting more but I do blame him for not outright saying it and being a crap father to all his children.

I wonder if Kody's new "I think I'm done having children" and wanting a relationship with Robyn beyond kids has anything to do with his more hands on (and sleepless nights) with Ari.  With the other kids he was on that famous rotation schedule but now that he is primarily with Robyn he is feeling the helplessness and frustration of wanting to be a firmer parent with her but Robyn is stepping in his way.  He loved that adoration of the little ones with the older kids and moms doing the dirty work.  Now he is stuck and just wants a good night sleep.  I wonder if he will give Robyn the "Meri treatment" and tell her that he had decided NO to any more littles.

56 minutes ago, MV713 said:

My takeaways:

- Wonky editing with Janelle's mouth cancer - its there, its big, its gone, its red, its a scar, oh look don't see it at all

I keep obsessively watching Janelle's lip growth.  It is a HUGE tell at the actual timeline of when things were filmed. She can wear the same outfit, but they don't glue a fake one on her lip to make it look like things were actually in March/April when the lip says July/August.

• LOL 9
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Why are Kody and Robyn allowing Ari to run wild all night long? They could correct that if they weren't so damn lazy.  Is this how Robyn parents her kids? We all know she sleep in until noon. Now we know why. She's up all night letting Ari rule the house. They seem to think it's cute that Ari is queen of the house. It's going to be real cute when she starts school and gets no sleep at night. What morons. 

They need Super Nanny or Nanny Jo.  Cant remember if they are the same person.  I think Sol was an easy going child, but still allowed to do as he wanted.  Ari is the opposite in that she is full of excess energy.  As my mom used to say, bouncing off the walls.  If Robyn was a working mother that wouldn't be an issue because she would have never let it get to that point.  At 45 my cousin was pregnant for the 5th time with triplets.  She never had a problem getting them to nap or a regular set bedtime.  As a working mother with a houseful of kids, she didn't have that luxury of letting a child keep everyone else awake.  Probably why she needs Kody there all the time.  Everyone needs to take turns getting her up at no later than 7am and keeping her awake until bed time.  After a week or so she will get set on a schedule and head to bed around 7-8 pm every night.  

1 hour ago, MV713 said:

- Why is Robyn in the car on her zoom call?  

Probably the only place where she can hear and not be bothered with noise.

• Love 11