Type keyword(s) to search

Bates Motel : In The Media

Just came in to comment on this. The Emmys may be useless as hell but at least they're getting some well deserved credit somewhere (although the Emmys did nominate Vera for the show's first season but Freddie is criminally underrated). 

• Love 1

I'm especially glad for Highmore being recognised as a lead. The Emmy voting system is so slanted towards familiar and legacy actors that Highmore has to submit himself as a supporting actor (even though he's clearly not).

• Love 2

Bates Motel Finale: Cast, Showrunner Dissect That Psycho Cliffhanger

Postmortem: Bates Motel Boss on "Giving Birth to the Norman Bates We Know" includes this little tidbit regarding the Dylan/Emma kiss

Tell me about that Dylan and Emma kiss.

Ehrin: It was so beautiful. We just adore that scene and every time we look at it in editing, we just sigh. It's so pretty, and it is so real. And it's funny because when we were writing that last script, Carlton and I were going back and forth on the scene because I couldn't get it to a point where it felt like they should kiss naturally. It kept feeling forced. So finally, we were like, "OK, we're just not going to have it happen," and then on that pass, the scene kind of reworked itself so that it completely felt right. Their hearts are so good, those two characters, that it's such a happy moment.

• Love 4

Thanks for the links. Loved it!

During tonight's episode, they showed a preview of the Critic's Choice Awards which airs on A&E. I sincerely hope that has nothing to do with why Freddie & Vera were nominated.

So, the actress who plays Bradley is credited before Kevin Rahm in the show opening? Unbelievable. Hello... Mad Men anyone?

Excellent news - TVLine reports that A&E has renewed Bates Motel for Season 4... AND Season 5! That's 20 more episodes on the way!

Yay! But we have quite a wait: "Bates Motel's fourth season is slated to air in early 2016, followed by Season 5 in early 2017."

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/bates-motel-renewed-season-4-ae-1201517941/

Despite falling off in its third season, “Bates” ranks among the top-rated ad-supported cable series. It averaged about a 1.3 rating in adults 18–49 and three million viewers overall, according to Nielsen’s “live+3” estimate.

• Love 1

Yep.  Not surprised, but I'm still annoyed.  Vera Farmiga should already have at least one award by now, and I really thought Freddie Highmore deserved one as well for this season.  Even the show along deserved consideration for Best Drama for this season.

• Love 6
(edited)

The show needs to get the critics behind it and be very vocal to maybe have a shot. It took four seasons of critics and fans stumping hard for the voters to finally give The Americans the recognition they deserve. I am bummed because I do think it will be a shame if they're never rewarded for such brilliant performances, especially Freddie who has never even been nominated. Vera at least got one nomination. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Do we know if there was even submission for a nomination?  It doesn't make a lot of sense for this show to be so grossly overlooked.  Of course, they are not on Broadcast TV or mainline cable, which probably plays a part.  

(edited)

Yeah totally didn't see that coming but hey, maybe it'll get the show enough press that'll translate to some voters actually voting for it. Can't hurt. 

Do we know if there was even submission for a nomination?  It doesn't make a lot of sense for this show to be so grossly overlooked.  Of course, they are not on Broadcast TV or mainline cable, which probably plays a part.  

They submitted. I cannot think of any show that does not submit something for the Emmys, no matter how much of a long shot it is and this show is hardly that. Plus as stated, Vera was nominated for the first season. So the show is clearly on voters' radar. However, I think the problem is that it just doesn't have the critics fighting hard for it, coupled with a very loud and vocal following. 

Because as I said above, even with that, it took The Americans four seasons to get any recognition. You think this show being overlooked is baffling - I could never wrap my head around The Americans being snubbed while Downton Abbey got nomination after nomination. It made no sense to me and it happened. While Bates Motel is respected, there are other shows the critics are more heavily supporting than it. 

Like I knew my favorite new show Mr. Robot would get in because critics got on that show's bandwagon very early and very hard. That's how I first heard about it. From seeing it all over my timeline and articles about how amazing it was and how brilliant Rami Malek is (and he is) and the push never let up, which was particularly impressive because like Bates Motel, it's a cable show, so the season has been over for awhile. They only just returned for Season 2 after like six months. So it was easy for it to get lost and forgotten come nomination time but that didn't happen because the buzz never let up about it and also to USA's credit, they pushed it hard. 

Goodness knows how much I love this show and brilliant I think Vera and Freddie have been but it's just how it works out sometimes. I think it's ridiculous neither Mads or Hugh ever got nominated for Hannibal. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

Today in news that I never thought I would hear: Rihanna will be playing Marion Crane on this show.

I kind of like this.  It's an interesting and different kind of choice for a show that is also interesting and different.

• Love 1
On 7/25/2016 at 10:28 AM, Nutjob said:

I just hope she can act, and that it doesn't come off as mere stunt casting a la Lady Gaga on American Horror Story.

That's exactly what it feels like to me. I guess I should be thankful they didn't go for Katy Perry or Taylor Swift. Or Beyonce since she's definitely shown that she can't act IMHO.

I feel like a Rihanna casting is all about the shower scene in addition to trying to nab a few more people from the 18-34 demo. 

I personally would have preferred they cast an actress who reminds Norman of his mother on some level even if it's a somewhat younger version. 

I can see a wide range of actresses who I would have been interested in seeing in the role. Yvonne Strahovski, Evan Rachel Wood, Kirsten Dunst, Carice Van Houten, etc.

Even an actress like Sherri Moon Zombie might have been interesting. 

• Love 1

If she *can* act, it will be bold and striking.  Their casting director has done a great job with everyone so far IMO except for Nicola Peltz (whom I quite liked in Transformers; just not as Bradley), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

On 1/3/2017 at 5:56 PM, kieyra said:

Cynic in me wonders if they're trying to draw attention from the KKK show scandal. 

What is the KKK show scandal?

On 8/19/2016 at 4:23 PM, queenanne said:

Their casting director has done a great job with everyone so far IMO except for Nicola Peltz (whom I quite liked in Transformers; just not as Bradley), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Same here.  I wasn't a big fan of NP at first, but she was awesome Bradley 2.0  The Return.

It would have been  interesting if they had cast Taissa Farmiga to play Marion Crane.. She looks like her older sister.  Norman would have also noticed the resemblance.  It could have added another layer to the story. Hopefully Rihanna can act but I wont get my hopes up. 

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

What is the KKK show scandal?

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/kkk-leaders-allege-producers-paid-them-to-fake-scenes-in-canceled-ae-documentary-exclusive-1201950078/

Brief summary, spoiler tagging for people who'd rather not know and because it's O/T:

Spoiler

Basically, A&E was going to air a show about the KKK that it pretended was a documentary, but it was really just another shitty reality show, one where KKK members were paid to act even more awful than they already are. A&E is throwing the production company under the bus, of course. The fact that they were going to air this garbage in the middle of the times we're currently living in seems hugely irresponsible to me. JMO though.

I suppose the story got somewhat buried during the holidays.

I don't judge anyone who wants to see the wrapup of of Bates, of course. I just don't know how else to react to this kind of thing other than withdrawing my support for the network.

End soapbox, I won't be pushing this here further--only returned to follow up because I was asked a question.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if we'll even see Emma this season, so she might live. So the Feds actually got a case enough on Romero to put him in jail. I figured the writers would go there because that's the only way it would make sense that he would not kill Norman because it was pretty clear in the season finale that he firmly believed Norman murdered Norma and he was going to kill him. 

Interesting about the police finding the bodies. I assume that's going to be Bradley and maybe Bob Parrish? Except Norman didn't kill Bob Parrish. It'll be interesting how that gets resolved since we know Norman gets away with his crimes. Unless the series ends with his being caught for Marion's killing like the movie and they piece everything together. 

So unlike in the movie where it took years of him in the house and having murdered many more people before he's caught, the series will wrap things up quickly. I wonder if they'll end with the original Psycho ending of Norman in the holding cell. Except they already ended Season 2 with the creepy Norman Bates smile. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

^ I actually wonder if they find Bradley's body in the lake as well. In the season previews, Norman is told that bodies were found in the lake and is asked if he knew anything about it. It could be characters that "Mother" killed earlier in S5, but I would not be surprised at all if Bradley's was one of the bodies they found.

I think Norman WILL get caught for all he's done, but it won't happen until the very end of the finale episode in my opinion.

I’m not sure where to post this as it is an article from sometime last year, but I just watched an interview with Kenny Johnson (Caleb) and apparently he is dyslexic and can barely read, and with that, I am all the more impressed that he was able to capture the character of Caleb in such a meaningful and heartfelt way. 

Edited by Fable
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 7:19 PM, Avaleigh said:

That's exactly what it feels like to me. I guess I should be thankful they didn't go for Katy Perry or Taylor Swift. Or Beyonce since she's definitely shown that she can't act IMHO.

I feel like a Rihanna casting is all about the shower scene in addition to trying to nab a few more people from the 18-34 demo. 

I personally would have preferred they cast an actress who reminds Norman of his mother on some level even if it's a somewhat younger version. 

I can see a wide range of actresses who I would have been interested in seeing in the role. Yvonne Strahovski, Evan Rachel Wood, Kirsten Dunst, Carice Van Houten, etc.

Even an actress like Sherri Moon Zombie might have been interesting. 

Thandie Newton would be great.