Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: I need a Goat

• Start Topic

Decourcy increases pressure on the Justice Department as Jackie looks into his adversary's past. Siobhan is focused on starting a family. Jenny realizes she can't keep ignoring her mother. Cathy Ryan turns to an unlikely income source.

OK so Grace doesn't have a clue that her sons are Avon and Stringer wannabes.

She thinks she can talk her oldest into a military career but he's like "not my fault if Raina lives here."

They invested a lot into the Jackie vs. DeCourcy rivalry -- "it's always been about us."  Hope it's not multiple seasons of tease like Axe and Chuck Rhoads on Billions.  But I don't see them getting rid of either character though the way they're going at each other one of them shouldn't last, especially Jackie who's reckless but apparently is able to fix everything.

What a charming woman that US Attorney is.  Is that how woman make it in the rough and tumble political world, by being as big of an asshole as men?

Jackie goes around trying to get dirt on DeCourcy from his law school classmates.  But he comes at him with his takes of what their relationships with DeCourcy must have been like, relying on stereotypes, so he gets nowhere, other than annoying and alienating the classmates.

Siobhan wants to rumble and have kids before they're 40 but Dee is feeling insecure about his political situation at the office so he doesn't wanna.  She isn't playing the biological card, but more like, the career card -- she wants to get it over with, it being parenthood, before her career really takes off.

Dee's had a bad day and just wants lobster, or something he can tear apart and eat.

I wondered why they kept Jimmy and Cathy Ryan around.  Maybe didn't want to create new characters but they are likely to cross paths with Jackie or Dee or both.  Cathy can't feed her kids so she's going to sling heroin in the projects?

Was that a real thing, female criminals or criminal wannabes in Charlestown?  Cathy does meet a fellow girl from the Town, whose husband is also in prison for bank robbery.  They're over that life but remember, Cathy wasn't oblivious to what her husband was up to.  In fact she helped him bury the cash in the walls of their home.

I remember the young Ryan girl from season 1, still in elementary school and already imitating her tough ma.  The Ryans don't need to go to prison to become "hardened criminals" as they say.

Maybe it takes another criminal like Jackie to catch some of these criminals, rather than the honest but still ruthless Asst. DA with political aspirations.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

This is 1993, right? Last season was from 1992, I think.

Dunno if they've referenced a specific year. In the first season they mention the recent Charles Stewart case - which took place in October 1989. The cars/clothes seem more late 80s than 90s. Fun trivia - I lived in Brigham Circle at the time of the case; Steward ( falsely ) claimed that the carjacker got in their car at Brigham Circle, which freaked my parents out when it became national news. 

Last nights episode continues to tale of woe for poor Jenny Rohr. Can't this woman catch a break ? Overall the female characters in the show are sort of one dimensional - besides the ever suffering Jenny, you've got the nagging Siobahn, the arch type big hair Southie foul mouth Cathy Ryan. The most interesting character from S1, Rachel Benham seems to be gone this season. 

As someone who lived in Boston during the period the show takes place I've got to hand it to the show for nailing the look and feel of the era. 

One interesting point was that in S1 they referenced the Bromley Heath housing project, which is a real place. However this season the activist lives at the Braxton, which I don't think really exists, which is interesting. 

Edited by Msample
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

Am I supposed to forget that Cathy Moriarty played Jenny Rohr's mother?  Ok.  I forgot...

Cathy Moriarty played the Ryan boys’ mother.  Catherine Wolf still plays Jenny’s mom.

• Useful 1

Last episode they showed a sign for the Big Dig, and they dropped a Whitey Bulger reference. It seemed he was still active. 

I think they're deliberately not specifying a year because I think Jackie's big take down of the organized crime family pre-show is fictional, but it strikes me as an early 90s time period. Jackie has a car phone too. 

Grace is heading for a rude awakening when she finds out what her sons are up to. Especially the son who doesn't even care at all about killing a kid, and can write her off as "meh, not my problem" and then talk about going to visit her parents with his mom in the next scene. I did laugh at her dropping off pamphlets in her sons room, that is some mom shit. 

The show seems to be set in the early 90s given the clothes and hair. The style of the 80s isn't really gone but you can tell who is still holding onto that 80s hair and who is starting to move into the more 90s style. 

Jackie's plan to mess with Decourcy by digging up dirt on him for his college days really backfired (ex girlfriends might not be the best place to get reliable unbiased information) but now he has a new angle. So how long will this back and fourth keep going?

On 4/5/2021 at 11:02 AM, Msample said:

Fun trivia - I lived in Brigham Circle at the time of the case; Steward ( falsely ) claimed that the carjacker got in their car at Brigham Circle, which freaked my parents out when it became national news. 

Ha! Even more trivia -- I was at Brigham and Women's recovering from having my daughter that week! My husband and I had just been outside for a little walk the same night. I remember my mother saying "I cried for that man" when Charles Stuart jumped off the Tobin bridge. 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Lastwaltz said:

Ha! Even more trivia -- I was at Brigham and Women's recovering from having my daughter that week! My husband and I had just been outside for a little walk the same night. I remember my mother saying "I cried for that man" when Charles Stuart jumped off the Tobin bridge. 

Brigham Circle was kind of dicey back then - not say as bad as say Bromley Heath, but def pretty downtrodden. Today...its gentrified totally. What used to be the neighborhood dive bar whose front window was regularly broken/had people thrown thru it in brawls is now a nice gastropub. The packy store I worked at is still going strong though, LOL. 

• Love 1
On 4/5/2021 at 6:13 PM, preeya said:

If this forum (6 comments) is any sort of a gauge for viewership of this show, I'd say it's in trouble.

I can't watch till Tuesday, but it's a scheduled show for me; i.e., it's not 'I'll get around to it.' 

(edited)

I really don't care for Jackie and De being at odds. If rather they're scheming together at everyone else. I hope this isn't a season theme. I don't need them to like each other, but I want then on the same team. 

I don't care about De and his wife either. I think part of that is the trope of the wanting kids angle. When they're not together, she's more interesting. Ironically, I do like Jenny. 

I like the tall white cop. It seems like he's the only one who actually wants to find out who killed the little girl. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Msample said:

What used to be the neighborhood dive bar whose front window was regularly broken/had people thrown thru it in brawls is now a nice gastropub.

Haha, if that isn't the perfect description of gentrification, lol. 

• LOL 1
On 4/6/2021 at 11:18 AM, tennisgurl said:

Grace is heading for a rude awakening when she finds out what her sons are up to. Especially the son who doesn't even care at all about killing a kid, and can write her off as "meh, not my problem" and then talk about going to visit her parents with his mom in the next scene. I did laugh at her dropping off pamphlets in her sons room, that is some mom shit. 

The show seems to be set in the early 90s given the clothes and hair. The style of the 80s isn't really gone but you can tell who is still holding onto that 80s hair and who is starting to move into the more 90s style. 

Jackie's plan to mess with Decourcy by digging up dirt on him for his college days really backfired (ex girlfriends might not be the best place to get reliable unbiased information) but now he has a new angle. So how long will this back and fourth keep going?

It does seem like the younger brother is going to tell his mom about what’s going on and then she will have to decide what to do about the information.  My guess is that she will try to protect them (and herself).

On 4/5/2021 at 11:02 AM, Msample said:

Dunno if they've referenced a specific year. In the first season they mention the recent Charles Stewart case - which took place in October 1989. The cars/clothes seem more late 80s than 90s. Fun trivia - I lived in Brigham Circle at the time of the case; Steward ( falsely ) claimed that the carjacker got in their car at Brigham Circle, which freaked my parents out when it became national news. 

Last nights episode continues to tale of woe for poor Jenny Rohr. Can't this woman catch a break ? Overall the female characters in the show are sort of one dimensional - besides the ever suffering Jenny, you've got the nagging Siobahn, the arch type big hair Southie foul mouth Cathy Ryan. The most interesting character from S1, Rachel Benham seems to be gone this season. 

As someone who lived in Boston during the period the show takes place I've got to hand it to the show for nailing the look and feel of the era. 

One interesting point was that in S1 they referenced the Bromley Heath housing project, which is a real place. However this season the activist lives at the Braxton, which I don't think really exists, which is interesting. 

Damon and Affleck always nail the characters, language, places of inner city Boston.  I thought I saw 1993 on the screen at one time. 

There’s a Braxton St in Roxbury but I don’t what the housing is called.  They did mention the Mary McCormick Housing Project in Southie.