Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Lost Sheep

• Start Topic

(edited)

I really like Jamie and hope he doesn’t get on the plane.  I not only appreciate him as an interesting new character BUT he has actually made Maggie tolerable, which shocks me.  Seriously.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It wasn't quite shot that way - but it could be a fake-out. Sophie could be going to him to get the guitar lessons she's been whining about for awhile.

The fact that she's been keeping her breakup with her boyfriend a secret from everyone (including Danny) and hiding the teacher's texts under her ex's name makes me think it isn't innocent guitar lessons.

• Love 6
On 4/8/2021 at 11:45 AM, tennisgurl said:

Gee guys, who is this shows sponsor again? Could it be a store who's logo was waved in front of us for half a whole scene? 

You mean the red bullseye? I thought they were just really into archery.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Agree. 
Of course, the Sophie/creepy teacher situation will spawn yet another PSA. 
We’re supposed to believe, in spite of his supposed changing feelings, Jamie is falling on his sword to allow Maggie sufficient “alone” time to find out who she is beyond the cancer diagnosis. Next, she’ll regret her decision to proceed with her pregnancy because she won’t know who she is beyond “mother”. Life happens, just get on with it. Reminds me of an old show I tried once to watch-“Thirty Something”. Abandoned it pretty quickly due to excessive (hour long) whining. 

Sorry, I must have looked away or confused it with another show. Now I remember-“the second pill”, and Gary had to leave. However it happened, it was all too easy. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, cinsays said:

thought there was mention of her posing for him in a bikini, not really part of a normal guitar lesson

Was there? I must have missed that.

19 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

And when his wife called for him in the other room, he hung up awfully fast. If it was just a student that he was talking to, he’d have nothing to hide.

But it was clever of Sophie to hide his actual identity under the ex boyfriend’s name that no one knew was an ex.

Valid point.

19 hours ago, TivoFan said:

Re: Maggie's pregnancy, remember she didn't wait the prerequisite number of minutes after the post-Plan B pregnancy test (the one she took right in front of Jamie, then threw in the trash)? I've been wondering since then if she is actually still pregnant...

My understanding is that they routinely require a pregnancy test at the scanning place. So since she did have a scan, it seems to me she's not pregnant.

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The fact that she's been keeping her breakup with her boyfriend a secret from everyone (including Danny) and hiding the teacher's texts under her ex's name makes me think it isn't innocent guitar lessons.

True, and it is likely the path they'll take, but they've been known to fool us before.

• Love 1

I don't understand Eddie's supposed addiction.  He wasn't taking the pain pills at first, then he started taking them, and then he threw them out, so then he tried to get another prescription but couldn't, so he stole pills.  That does not quite meet the definition of addiction since he was in pain and taking prescribed meds for it, but stupidly threw them out and tried to acquire more.  I don't understand why he didn't just take them from the beginning.  I don't understand why he hid when he did finally start taking them for his pain.  I don't understand why he threw them out.  And I don't understand why he didn't tell Katherine about any of this.  He wasn't doing anything wrong by starting to take the pain pills.  Pain management is a thing - an important thing - so why should he be ashamed of needing pain pills when he is in pain?  None of this makes any sense.  I wish they hadn't started with that, but since they  have, Katherine needs to leave him because he's a big fat liar who can't seem to be honest with her for more than a week.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, izabella said:

I don't understand Eddie's supposed addiction.  He wasn't taking the pain pills at first, then he started taking them, and then he threw them out, so then he tried to get another prescription but couldn't, so he stole pills.  That does not quite meet the definition of addiction since he was in pain and taking prescribed meds for it, but stupidly threw them out and tried to acquire more.  I don't understand why he didn't just take them from the beginning.  I don't understand why he hid when he did finally start taking them for his pain.  I don't understand why he threw them out.  And I don't understand why he didn't tell Katherine about any of this.  He wasn't doing anything wrong by starting to take the pain pills.  Pain management is a thing - an important thing - so why should he be ashamed of needing pain pills when he is in pain?  None of this makes any sense.  I wish they hadn't started with that, but since they  have, Katherine needs to leave him because he's a big fat liar who can't seem to be honest with her for more than a week.

To understand the several loops the writers had to go through because they were bent on giving Eddie a "new" plot, you first have to accept that you watch AMLT and that this show likes to come up with issues that are actually non-issues to everyone else. You need to go through the 12 Steps of an AMLT watcher. Here's the first step: Hi, my name is ___ and I watch AMLT while trying to see logic and rationality in the characters. I accept that this is a problem.

Welcome!

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

Guys, aren’t we being a little too hard on Eddie?

Instead of judging him for his new addiction, lying to and betraying Katherine AGAIN, we should celebrate him for not impregnating Dakota.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • LOL 18
  • Love 1

I had forgotten about Maggie throwing the pregnancy test away and not waiting the full amount of time before assuming she was not pregnant anymore. Maybe they are going to go down that road.Outlandish plots are no problem for this crack team of writers. Apparently medical abortions can fail. So if that's true, and she is pregnant, the pregnancy has survived an abortion attempt plus a complete scan. Wonder what kind of storyline they could come up with from that?

• LOL 1

On the subject of Maggie's pregnancy test, I thought she took one test (which we saw), and while she was waiting for that test to develop, she picked up another stick she had already taken previously (which we did not see).  I could have sworn that is what I saw her do.  And that, at least, made sense to me since most boxes come with two tests in them.  Am I the only one who saw that?

• Love 1
18 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Erin Karpluk plays Anna, I recognize her from some of Hallmark movies, she also guest starred in 9-1-1 Xmas episode. 

She also starred in a series called Being Erica.

I wouldn’t blame Katherine one bit if she left Eddie (who’s becoming more and more insufferable by the minute, not to mention a hypocrite yelling at Gary about betrayal). Cheating would be a dealbreaker for me, much less cheating AND fathering a child with the other woman! Throw alcoholism and drug addiction on top of that? Oh, HELL no. Theo can pontificate all he wants, but he doesn’t get to dictate how his mother lives her life. Sorry, Theo, Daddy is not holding up his end of the marriage.

And hey, Rome’s Dad, you do not get to dictate to Rome that he has to believe exactly what you believe. It was very nice of Rome and Regina to do the candle lighting at their home, and Rome took Gary’s advice to let his dad have the pennies thing, which was also very nice of him. Dad shouldn’t expect any more than that. Admittedly, I have a dirty lens on this subject. My mother was super controlling and rigidly Catholic (rigid as in YOU WILL go to Mass every Sunday and confession every Saturday without fail or YOU ARE GOING TO HELL) and never understood why this approach had me running away from organized religion as far and fast  as I could get. I still shudder at the memories of getting in that damn confessional every Saturday.

I watch this on Hulu and hadn’t really noticed the show moved from Thursday to Wednesday until Danny’s meta comment.

WTF, Jamie? Since when can Maggie not figure out who she is if you stick around? BTW, I could swear I heard in one of the previous episodes that the UK had closed its borders, so how the heck did he get a flight back?

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

And hey, Rome’s Dad, you do not get to dictate to Rome that he has to believe exactly what you believe.

That annoyed me so much. I am an atheist and had family members tell me that I HAD to believe in god. Like, HAD TO. It is irritating. I also had neighbors who were really nice until they figured that I am an atheist and then it is only waves from a distance. Apparently Oprah also rejects the idea that some people are non-believers. According to her, it is just a matter of time until we find god in our lives.

One more thing about Eddie's addiction and the bad writing: it is a cliche that people who are addicted to alcohol will become addicted to everything else. I know someone whose spouse got addicted to pain pills after an accident. It took them years to get clean, but not complete relief from the pain. Today they can safely smoke pot to help with the pain. People react different to addictive substances and I wish TV writers were a little more invested in their characters to make it less cliche, and to give the audience a different angle.

• Love 6

I love Gary. Yes, he's got a hero complex, and sure, he oversteps sometimes, and uses humour as a defense mechanism, etc., etc. I'm sure I would want to kick his ass, hard and often, but I'd still love him for it. I would far rather have a friend like that, who will butt in to defend or help me with anything, without thinking twice, than a selfish, only thinks of himself/herself 'friend' like Eddie, or Maggie, or Delilah, and so on...

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

WTF, Jamie? Since when can Maggie not figure out who she is if you stick around?

I don't get this at all!  So a person can't be a relationship if they want to figure out who they are?  Do they need to be in isolation in a hermetically sealed container?   Did she not have any idea who she was before she was sick?  What the fuck does this even mean?

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, izabella said:

I don't understand Eddie's supposed addiction.  He wasn't taking the pain pills at first, then he started taking them, and then he threw them out, so then he tried to get another prescription but couldn't, so he stole pills.  That does not quite meet the definition of addiction since he was in pain and taking prescribed meds for it, but stupidly threw them out and tried to acquire more.  I don't understand why he didn't just take them from the beginning.  I don't understand why he hid when he did finally start taking them for his pain.  I don't understand why he threw them out.

As I remember it-The pills were high up on the shelf, tempting him. He got them down, struggled with the decision, and decided not to take them (instead of someone to responsibly give them to him to manage his pain) and flushed them. He was supposed to get a steroid shot and that would have helped, but then Covid happened and offices were closed. That’s when he tried to renew the prescription and couldn’t because it was too soon. That’s when he started stealing them from others and taking them for his pain. And couldn’t stop.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Daff said:

Agree. 
Of course, the Sophie/creepy teacher situation will spawn yet another PSA. 
We’re supposed to believe, in spite of his supposed changing feelings, Jamie is falling on his sword to allow Maggie sufficient “alone” time to find out who she is beyond the cancer diagnosis. Next, she’ll regret her decision to proceed with her pregnancy because she won’t know who she is beyond “mother”. Life happens, just get on with it. Reminds me of an old show I tried once to watch-“Thirty Something”. Abandoned it pretty quickly due to excessive (hour long) whining. 

I don't think Jamie was falling on his sword. I think he got scared of his own feelings and gave his speech about giving Maggie alone time to avoid dealing with them.

22 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It is very shady, yes. Are we supposed to think this reputable guitar teacher has regularly been hooking up with his underage students? I know it happens, but I wish every show did not feel they need to write in a storyline like this.

8 hours ago, izabella said:

I agree they haven't portrayed this well. But the fact that he lied and stole pulls are signs of an addiction. I think we are supposed to believe he started taking them for pain but now is overusing them.  

7 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I had forgotten about Maggie throwing the pregnancy test away and not waiting the full amount of time before assuming she was not pregnant anymore. Maybe they are going to go down that road.Outlandish plots are no problem for this crack team of writers. Apparently medical abortions can fail. So if that's true, and she is pregnant, the pregnancy has survived an abortion attempt plus a complete scan. Wonder what kind of storyline they could come up with from that?

I am not sure what exactly is involved in a cancer scan, but I am guessing they would have done another blood test at the hospital to make sure she was no longer pregnant before they did it.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I am not sure what exactly is involved in a cancer scan, but I am guessing they would have done another blood test at the hospital to make sure she was no longer pregnant before they did it.

Yup. I don't know what kind of scan she got, but I work at an MRI facility and every woman who is NOT menopausal is given a pregnancy test before being allowed into the magnet room - no exceptions.

• Love 4

Unless Jamie gets held up at the airport and misses his first class flight, we can kiss goodbye any Jamie and Darcy storyline.  Drats.

I didn't see the Sophie/Guitar Teacher subterfuge coming.

Eddie wouldn't be in the throes of withdrawal and able to use a cell phone while in group therapy at a real rehab.

The only saving grace for Katherine is that she doesn't have to have Delilah and Charlie in her face during these difficult times with the pandemic and Eddie's addiction crisis.

• Love 3
On 4/9/2021 at 3:53 AM, Brian Cronin said:

“Like many people who are caught between taking care of their kids and their older parents who now need them, Delilah now finds herself in this situation during the worst possible time. She needs to be in France to be near her father, who has dementia, but she also wants to be near her kids, who as we’ll see are going through so much. How this plays out, we will leave it for the fans to see.”

Uh, sure -- except we weren't asking you for a recap, Nash, you nitwit. (Good Lord.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Sandman said:

Uh, sure -- except we weren't asking you for a recap, Nash, you nitwit. (Good Lord.)

Things must be really dicey if by now they haven't even graced us with the Covid fixture of a Zoom meeting with Delilah checking in on at least her own children from France.  IOW, they're "still negotiating"?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Things must be really dicey if by now they haven't even graced us with the Covid fixture of a Zoom meeting with Delilah checking in on at least her own children from France.  IOW, they're "still negotiating"?

Imagining this is even worse than thinking about doing a Zoom thing myself.  (Zooming?  Is that a verb now?) It was bad enough when she was on the show as part of the ensemble; the thought of her filling the entire screen gives me the heeby geebies, and my TV is old and tiny.

• LOL 3
11 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Imagining this is even worse than thinking about doing a Zoom thing myself.  (Zooming?  Is that a verb now?) It was bad enough when she was on the show as part of the ensemble; the thought of her filling the entire screen gives me the heeby geebies, and my TV is old and tiny.

Everything's a verb now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 4/10/2021 at 2:18 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I love Gary. Yes, he's got a hero complex, and sure, he oversteps sometimes, and uses humour as a defense mechanism, etc., etc. I'm sure I would want to kick his ass, hard and often, but I'd still love him for it. I would far rather have a friend like that, who will butt in to defend or help me with anything, without thinking twice, than a selfish, only thinks of himself/herself 'friend' like Eddie, or Maggie, or Delilah, and so on..

I'm far from a Gary supporter, but he was 100% correct in telling Katherine that no one would blame her if she walked away. Eddie has put her through more shit than a little bit. If not for the Theo factor, she'd be done already and Eddie knows it. The writers have their work cut out for them in redeeming Eddie.

On 4/10/2021 at 6:59 PM, KaveDweller said:
On 4/9/2021 at 8:27 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It is very shady, yes. Are we supposed to think this reputable guitar teacher has regularly been hooking up with his underage students? I know it happens, but I wish every show did not feel they need to write in a storyline like this.

I think the writers had this planned from the Guitar Teacher's introduction, he gave off a sketchy, "Svengali" kind of predatory vibe even then. It could be another fake-out, as some posters have noted, but it feels like the show's going down the inappropriate relationship road.

• Love 7
On 4/8/2021 at 11:45 AM, tennisgurl said:

Gee guys, who is this shows sponsor again? Could it be a store who's logo was waved in front of us for half a whole scene? 

So many of these plots went exactly the way I expected them to. I knew that when they had Katherine start hanging out with her cute lawyer friend Katherine would make a pass at him in her heartbreak over Eddie (I am just glad he stopped it right away) I knew that this story with Eddie was just going to be a miserable retread of stuff we have already done with him, I suspected that something would happen between Sophie and her teacher, although I was hoping it wouldn't, and while I thought that Jamie leaving would have more preamble, I figured he wouldn't last very long.

Which sucks, I like him a lot and he actually made Maggie's scenes a lot more bearable then usual, and him leaving felt really weird. So he likes her a lot, so now he has to go back to England? What? Why? It was all so random. 

I don't know how most rehabs work, but would they stick a person who just checked in and is clearly going through withdrawals right into group therapy? Is that really the time to lecture Eddie on being a selfish ass? He does need to hear that, but cant that wait until he isn't still visibly trembling with withdrawal symptoms? I just hate this plot, I have no idea why they went with "Eddie gets addicted to pain killers and blows up his family again" as the best way to deal with him being in a wheelchair. Is him being possibly disabled for life and going through tough physical therapy in the middle of a pandemic not enough drama? I wanted to see how their family adjusted to having Eddie being in a wheelchair, either permanently or just for awhile, not just watch him fall apart again. It just makes his whole story of trying to make things up with Katherine and them fixing their marriage a big waste of time. I really came to like Katherine and Eddie and their struggle to get back to each other, so I really hate seeing them in such a bad place. Theo blaming Katherine was not what I expected, that was a big ouch. While I think Katherine does have every right to be upset for quite awhile, I think her mom saying that no one is perfect will end up leading them to staying together. Really, Eddie falling back into addiction due to chronic pain and being badly injured is at least a bit more sympathetic than him cheating on her with one of their friends and almost leaving her for that friend and their child. 

Also, if Eddie the guy who should be giving lectures about betraying close friends? Really? 

I was really hoping they wouldn't go there with Sophie and her teacher, but I guess here we are. This show is the rare show where every subplot is a whole afterschool special. This is going to get creepy really fast if its going where I am guessing its going. 

Rome and Regina got a good story and I really like Tyrell. I hope that he can stick around and doesn't disappear like a lot of supporting characters. Gary telling Rome to let his dad have his faith was nice, and possibly his mom approves?   

So I agree that it may have been too early in Eddie’s recovery for him to hear how self centered he is from another patient, but honestly someone had to say it. I am sooooo glad Gary was pissed off and showed that by pushing him up against the wall and telling him how stupid he was being. Eddie needs to stop perceiving others actions or words as abandonment. Katherine, Gary and that random patient are saying these things because they care, because they want to see him get better. But all he hears is that they’re going to throw him away. I think the writers brought his addiction issue up because it further reveals to the actual root of Katherine and Eddie’s marriage; Eddie is never going to change because he puts himself ahead of his family and Katherine is scared to leave him because without her she knows he’ll really get hurt or die. Hopefully she writes up those divorce papers this season because I’m tired of seeing her get hurt. 

When Eddie spouted that nonsense to Gary about being a fake John I just laughed. Gary wants to be John? When you were actually coveting all that John had and impregnated his wife? Who really was envious of John? 

I know it may be far fetched but I’d like for R&R to adopt Tyrell lol. But maybe they’ll start looking for a preteen instead of a baby to adopt because of Tyrell. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I think the writers had this planned from the Guitar Teacher's introduction, he gave off a sketchy, "Svengali" kind of predatory vibe even then. It could be another fake-out, as some posters have noted, but it feels like the show's going down the inappropriate relationship road.

The key thing with this show is that whatever could be the most overdramatic possible thing, that's what will happen. That hasn't always been the case, of course (Jamie and Darcy being the glaring exceptions, even with Darcy's PTSD, and even Danny's romance plots have been handled shockingly well).

I really liked seeing Bobbi Charlton as the lady who tore Eddie a new one. She's had such a long road back to acting, it's nice to see her getting gigs.

One of the weird things about these episodes, though, is that they don't even REMOTELY feel like they're really set in the early days of lockdown. People are walking around way too willy nilly. But at least they're not doing the absurd shit we see on other shows, where people specifically take OFF their masks when they have in-close conversations (WHAT IN THE WHAT?). 

• Love 4

I clearly am not fully on the page the writers want me to be because making Katherine's reaction to Eddie lying about substance abuse be:

to go day drinking ..... alone ..... in her office ..... on a weekend

is pretty out of character.

• Love 4

Jamie and the nurse should get together. That was cute. 

Katharine is not wrong.

ETA-this drives me nuts usually and this series is no exception. It drives me nuts to have one person speak in a foreign language and the other person answer back in English. That's not a real conversation. That's just for an audience. I actually would prefer both people speaking a foreign language and subtitle for dumb people like me who only speak one language. About the only exception to this is when Han Solo answers Chewbacca or C-3PO answers R2-D2. Or really, sci-fi or fantasy movies and shows who do that.

But a show that is supposed to be "real life" (yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. Ain't no real life here, no matter how much they center their stories around Covid!)--Katherine's mother can obviously understand and speak English--I mean, she was able to drop the wham line that Katharine's father wasn't perfect. I get her not wanting to speak English. But then have Katharine speak Korean. 

I'm probably not making a lick of sense. It's just a pet peeve.

Edited by historylover820
Forgot to include something
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, historylover820 said:

ETA-this drives me nuts usually and this series is no exception. It drives me nuts to have one person speak in a foreign language and the other person answer back in English. That's not a real conversation. That's just for an audience. I actually would prefer both people speaking a foreign language and subtitle for dumb people like me who only speak one language. About the only exception to this is when Han Solo answers Chewbacca or C-3PO answers R2-D2. Or really, sci-fi or fantasy movies and shows who do that.

But for many people who are the children of immigrants, this is a realistic depiction. I know a lot of people who are first generation who converse with their parents this way. Oftentimes, their parents speak English but they're just more comfortable expressing themselves in their native language. The children are often the opposite (they are capable of speaking their parents' first language but they are more comfortable speaking English). When you speak multiple languages, it's common to understand the spoken language but to need more time to formulate a response because you're still translating in your head or aren't as fluent as you are in your first language.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When you speak multiple languages, it's common to understand the spoken language but to need more time to formulate a response because you're still translating in your head or aren't as fluent as you are in your first language.

My great-grandparents came from Sicily in 1903; two of their (at least eight) kids were born there and the rest were born in Philly. I remember my dad saying once that my grandfather (#6, b. 1912) understood Italian but didn't speak it, because his father was a very "We're in America now, we speak English" kind of immigrant, so his parents often spoke Italian to each other at home but the kids didn't grow up speaking it themselves. I wonder if they had similar mixed-language conversations with their parents.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

But for many people who are the children of immigrants, this is a realistic depiction. I know a lot of people who are first generation who converse with their parents this way. Oftentimes, their parents speak English but they're just more comfortable expressing themselves in their native language. The children are often the opposite (they are capable of speaking their parents' first language but they are more comfortable speaking English). When you speak multiple languages, it's common to understand the spoken language but to need more time to formulate a response because you're still translating in your head or aren't as fluent as you are in your first language.

OK. I understand that. Thanks!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, historylover820 said:
On 4/13/2021 at 7:28 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Very similar to our house, before I was fluent in my mother's language. Even after I was fluent we'd talk in a mixture of German and English. Each language has some words that fit the thought better than the other.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
On 4/15/2021 at 5:50 AM, Clanstarling said:

Very similar to our house, before I was fluent in my mother's language. Even after I was fluent we'd talk in a mixture of German and English. Each language has some words that fit the thought better than the other.

Especially those incredibly long and complicated German ones when you wait with baited breath for the end to come (so to speak!).  For example:

Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, Leeds said:

Especially those incredibly long and complicated German ones when you wait with baited breath for the end to come (so to speak!).  For example:

Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän

Yep, that's a classic example. 🤣

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Yep, that's a classic example. 🤣

What about Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft? LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 4/11/2021 at 8:50 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

I'm far from a Gary supporter, but he was 100% correct in telling Katherine that no one would blame her if she walked away. Eddie has put her through more shit than a little bit. 

This is the first episode I have watched since last season.  Between this and Delilah being inexplicably just gone while leaving her kids behind, I thought maybe they were just trying to address viewers complaints.  From the group blaming Katherine for Eddie's alcoholism to Delilah's existence.

• Love 1