Type keyword(s) to search

Pooch Perfect - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think more actual designing, cutting, painting---you know, competitive grooming---should be shown and described/explained. 

("Project Runway" got away from showing the work, also. And now look where it is. Oh, wait....)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Waaaaay too much of the judges and they seem to try to hard to draw the attention to themselves.  I really want to focus on the dogs and the grooming, but even when they are showing the end products, they show the judges' reactions more than the dogs.  Let me have my own reaction

I agree. These groomers are incredible artists and their grooming should be the spotlight.

I know absolutely nothing about dog grooming and am so appreciating those in this forum who do and have shared their knowledge and experience with us. It reminds me of the sadly short lived show “Dance You Ass Off” when they cut away from the performances so often that you didn’t know what the actual performance looked like.

Also, the not having similar breeds or sizes to groom makes it really hard to make an appropriate comparison. That reminds me way too much of Project Runway in the later seasons when they introduced “plus sized” models into the equation. It wasn’t an equal comparison and the larger your model the more likely you were to be sent home and you had no control of who your model was.

In a competition about dog grooming making an apples to apples comparison is actually possible, because all the groomers could have the same breed of dog from which to work. However, Project Runway could have done the same thing - where everyone had the same size “model” from which to work.

• Love 3

Am I the only one that thought the Sia dog should have won immunity?  Then she would still be in the competition.  Was this producer shenanigans? I just didn’t think the Whoopi dog was that great.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Am I the only one that thought the Sia dog should have won immunity?  Then she would still be in the competition.

I didn't think of that but yeah, I really liked the Sia dog. I just forgot who was the groomer.

Although my thinking is the winner has already been decided. I thought the mom and son groomers were the best throughout, but I was almost positive they wouldn't win because they are normal people with no story or hook. So while I didn't think they should go home, I was not surprised they did.

The complaint about the judges and everything else being shown more than the dogs is the same complaint I have about every reality competition show. American's Got Talent, To Tell the Truth, World of Dance ... ALL of them cut repeatedly to the judges and audiences while a performance is happening, even when the performance is less than one minute. So it's in the script that Pooch Perfect has to do the same thing, I guess because the judges are being paid to be there so lots of screen time is in their contracts.

Thinking about the Bob Ross dog ... While the groomer did a nice job turning the dog's head into Shirley Temple curls and the dog looked cool, Bob Ross had a 'fro. I would have washed the dog's head and blown the hair out straight, then sprayed it up and trimmed it into a full-on Afro. That would have been easy to do, just like doing a Poodle in a Continental clip. Like so:

bob_ross.jpg.574024c5cb90e080e2002ca66580f9d6.jpg

• Love 4

After this episode (semi-finals) I am convinced that the producers try to manipulate the outcomes through the dogs they assign to the groomers.  For the immunity challenge there were three all white dogs and a black/white dog given to the team who just "randomly" were assigned winter (how random is it when the boxes are already at the groomers' work stations [having been put there prior to the arrival of the groomers]).  Then in the elimination competition there were three all white small dogs and one large black/white dog given to the team that was eliminated (Rizza?).  If I cared enough I would go back and see how often the eliminated team got a less desirable sized/colored dog (and how often the winner of the immunity challenge got a highly desirable smaller dog).  If my thoughts are right, it is a pretty blatant manipulation of outcome by the producers.

Oh, and I never want to see "surprise proposals" on competition shows.  Dog goneit, I want to see the dogs!!!

• Love 7
(edited)

So for the immunity challenge all dogs are white except the winter dog. What's up with that. And all the seasons were chosen by TPTB. How hilarious would it have been if a contestant sneaked in and switched up the boxes. Now THAT would have been fun. Contestants to judges: "PSYCHE!"

Now we see a few photos of Gabriel where he's a hottie on the beaches of Brazil. Who knew. But now everyone does. It even made me look up his Insta, FB and web pages after the show. But about the dogs, because that's what this show is about, dogs, right, not abs? Oh. Okay then. Anyway, Gabriel's dog with all the fruit on it was okay, I liked it fine. The banana tail was clever.

Riza's fall dog, I liked it a lot. Nice scarf, well done.

Macie's flower dog was excellent. But what, judges say no spring flowers have bold colors? Geesh. Alrighty then.

The winter dog turned out to be pretty cool. (No pun intended.) I liked the blue regardless of whatever that one judge said, and turning the black spots into black ice was clever. I liked it.

So, of course, the groom I thought was weakest won immunity. Mr. Brazilian Abs. However, we did find out he was brought to the U.S. to groom and show Bichons. THAT was interesting. That show win photo was flashed on screen too quickly for me to catch the kennel club though, but I will ask my Bichon friends if they know him.

Macie's gryphon dog was too pale in color for me. I couldn't tell it had wings. The trim was okay, color = big fail IMO.

Riza's wolf head on the dog's rear end was excellent. Not sure about the rest, the show didn't let me see it long enough.

Gabriel was given a Bichon to groom. SURPRISE! I liked it okay.

Alisa ... I liked its color but it needed more trim.

I've already posted my thoughts about the gag-a-rama that was the stupid-ass proposal. It did nothing to save this most-worst episode of the series. So far.

The groom/dog I liked least was BIS. Eh, no surprise there.

Well, lightning might strike me but I didn't need to see the dogs to know who was going home this week. Y'all can read my mind about that because I'm not putting it in words. But to quote an old Sesame Street song, "One of these things is not like the others." So, bye Riza.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Macie's flower dog was excellent. But what, judges say no spring flowers have bold colors?

Spring flowers ... like tulips, that come in maroon, black and purple among other bright colors.

tulips.jpg.f59eca806719850f8ca539997f5c9829.jpg

• Love 4

I have been enjoying this show but join those who wish they would show more of the grooms and nix the reaction shots.  I'd love to learn more about the techniques.  I had the same complaint about the Lego Masters show last summer - they never showed HOW people would use Lego bricks to build things. That's the part I would have enjoyed. 

@saber5055, have you read Laurien Berensen's Dog Show Mysteries series?  They are light mysteries centered around the dog show world.  The heroine and her family all show poodles and she talks a lot about the various cuts, s/a show, puppy, and I can't remember what else. It's a fun series.  Growing up, my best friend's next door neighbor bred and showed samoyeds, and taught my friend. It was fun to go to the shows and watch them. 

• Love 3

I agree with other posters in that there is too much manipulation by the producers. That was so evident with winter getting the black/white dog and everyone else getting a fluffy white dog. 

I may be a party of one, but I loved the surprise proposal, it made me tear up. And all the contestants running to hug them and sincerely happy for them. It made me really like all of them personally.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

have you read Laurien Berensen's Dog Show Mysteries series?

I have not, but thanks for the tip. I will definitely look them up ... Amazon, here I come! I like Poodles very much. I worked for a Poodle handler for a while so have shown several and did a lot of baths and brushing. People think Poodles are "sissy" dogs but they are anything but, and I love a Standard in a Continental trim, they are magnificent.

1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

I may be a party of one, but I loved the surprise proposal, it made me tear up. And all the contestants running to hug them and sincerely happy for them. It made me really like all of them personally.

You are right, it WAS nice and it showed how much these contestants like each other. My own failed romances have put me in a bitter space that I should not project onto others. My apologies to everyone!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

You are right, it WAS nice and it showed how much these contestants like each other. My own failed romances have put me in a bitter space that I should not project onto others. My apologies to everyone!

You owe no one any apologies! (I was already teary last night from allergies, so tears came very easily 😜). I agree on the general premise that these proposals on reality TV shows are generally just distracting and out of place, These two got to me, they are really special together).
Failed romances suck.

I so enjoy you on various forums where we meet. I have really, really your expertise on this forum. I have learned a lot.

• Love 2

I don't know what I was expecting from the show, but not... this.  Is dog-painting such a thing?  Every week, they paint dogs.  The challenge should be they each get a big hairy dog and they have to GROOM it.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Just Carol said:

I don't know what I was expecting from the show, but not... this.  Is dog-painting such a thing?  Every week, they paint dogs.  The challenge should be they each get a big hairy dog and they have to GROOM it.

Indeed, "Creative Styling" is a class in dog-grooming competitions; there are many dog-grooming conventions, competitions and seminars held around the country and around the world. Groomers can win big bucks, and I mean big bucks, at these competitions IF they are good and talented. The $100,000 offered by Pooch Perfect isn't that out of line. The creative grooms done on this show are not as spectacular as some done at the major shows around the country, like Intergroom, All-American Grooming Show and Groom Expo to name just three.

Pooch Perfect is not an anomaly, the contestants also compete in professional dog-grooming shows.

If you want to see "regular" dog grooming, tune in Haute Dog on HBO Max, The Great American Groom-a-Long on Animal Planet, or go to YouTube to see clips and episodes of Groomer Has It (Animal Planet 2008-2009). It was the original dog-grooming show. If you want to learn more about creative grooming, check out the HBO documentary Well Groomed which follows some groomers for a year as they compete and practice in hopes of making "the cut" at Intergroom.

I don't expect people outside the professional world of purebred dogs to understand Pooch Perfect. I think that's the fault of the show, not explaining what these groomers do for a living and to let viewers know about the grooming shows and seminars and conventions and competitions that are held around the United States. It's a HUGE industry. Huge, most shows have more than 5,000 attendees. And watching the different grooming competitions (Poodle, hand-strip, scissor trim and more, besides creative) is free to attendees.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

My dog's groomer is competing on the show. He is an amazing groomer. I have a bichon frise and we have been going to his shop for about three years. We go every six weeks because bichon frises require regular grooming to maintain their cut. My dog loves him. As soon as we arrive my dog pulls me into the shop with his tail wagging madly. Anyway, just wanted to come on to this forum and add that I hope my dog's groomer wins. I'm rooting for him and his assistant to go all the way!

Edited by Matty
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 5/12/2021 at 7:22 PM, saber5055 said:

I have not, but thanks for the tip. I will definitely look them up ... Amazon, here I come! I like Poodles very much. I worked for a Poodle handler for a while so have shown several and did a lot of baths and brushing. People think Poodles are "sissy" dogs but they are anything but, and I love a Standard in a Continental trim, they are magnificent.

Continental trim! Thank you! I was trying to remember that, but just couldn't and didn't think to Google it. (Plus I'm at work.) No way are poodles sissy dogs! I agree with you that a lot of people think they are.  They are so smart! At my last job one of the attorneys was a very courtly older gentleman who had a black standard poodle named Murray.  Murray was better mannered than most kids who came to our office.  One day, Murray actually stole a bagel and cream cheese off someone's desk and my coworker seemed dumbfounded because Murray was usually so mannerly.  I reminded her that he was a dog, after all.  When Murrray would get groomed he knew he looked good and would meet people at the door prancing. You could practically hear him thinking, "Aren't I pretty? Aren't I pretty?"  

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

One day, Murray actually stole a bagel and cream cheese off someone's desk and she seemed dumbfounded.  I reminded her that he was a dog, after all. 

LOL. I know people who do that. I also know many dogs who are so pleased with their handsome selves after grooming. (I know people like that too!)

I did not watch the first season of Groomer Has It (I have season 2 on disk, given to me by one of the contestants) so I watched some YouTube clips the other day. Judge Jorge is one of the contestants. But my big takeaway is the judge Xavier goes around each week to every groomer and insults each one with the most nasty comments. He treats them all like cr*p that didn't deserve to breathe much less be on HIS show and in HIS presence. It was horrible, he was horrible, and the environment had to have been toxic. It was not fun to watch. Anyone griping about Pooch Perfect needs to watch some of that, then be thankful this show is bright and happy and everyone is treated with respect.

On 5/15/2021 at 12:41 PM, Matty said:

My dog's groomer is competing on the show.

That has to be Gabriel, the Bichon expert! He is actually my pick to win. You are lucky to be able to have him as your dog's groomer. Thanks for posting!

• Love 1

I caught up on the past two episodes tonight. 

In the celebrity lookalike challenge, my least favorite grooming was the one that looked like Billie Eilish. The colors looked too muted. Deb had her dog dyed.

Lady Gaga is harder to do since I don't have a definitive picture of her in my head. 

Speaking of pictures, Riza and Sarah clearly said that Sarah picked their Lady Gaga look. I think the teams picked the looks and the crew blew up the photos as the challenge took place or afterwards before the judging. 

I agree Deb had to go home, but I missed her in the next episode.

"A Dog for All Seasons"

I liked the seasonal challenge and I wished it was the main challenge. Riza's autumn was cool.  The Spring Bichon was cute, but I guess he didn't look spring enough. I think young buds and Easter eggs would have helped.

The main challenge. I didn't like Riza's design, but I thought it was too obvious she would go home. 

I also didn't care for the proposal. It seemed producer-driven. Also while Justin and Alyssa are team, it's really her moment. He should let her have it.  I have no doubt they really love each other and they will probably really marry, but the proposal was for television. (I wish them both happiness.)

General thoughts:

Yes, it seems there are advantages and disadvantages to randomly assigned dogs of assorted breeds and sizes. I thought the biggest disadvantage went to Riza, in the four team episode. Riza got a mostly black dog for the main (elimination) challenge and everyone else got a white dog.  

Also the show has trouble filling time, especially at the end when there are fewer teams. A lot of the silly things/drama seem to be time fillers. 

• Love 2
On 5/13/2021 at 10:59 PM, saber5055 said:

Indeed, "Creative Styling" is a class in dog-grooming competitions; there are many dog-grooming conventions, competitions and seminars held around the country and around the world. Groomers can win big bucks, and I mean big bucks, at these competitions IF they are good and talented. The $100,000 offered by Pooch Perfect isn't that out of line. The creative grooms done on this show are not as spectacular as some done at the major shows around the country, like Intergroom, All-American Grooming Show and Groom Expo to name just three.

Pooch Perfect is not an anomaly, the contestants also compete in professional dog-grooming shows.

If you want to see "regular" dog grooming, tune in Haute Dog on HBO Max, The Great American Groom-a-Long on Animal Planet, or go to YouTube to see clips and episodes of Groomer Has It (Animal Planet 2008-2009). It was the original dog-grooming show. If you want to learn more about creative grooming, check out the HBO documentary Well Groomed which follows some groomers for a year as they compete and practice in hopes of making "the cut" at Intergroom.

I don't expect people outside the professional world of purebred dogs to understand Pooch Perfect. I think that's the fault of the show, not explaining what these groomers do for a living and to let viewers know about the grooming shows and seminars and conventions and competitions that are held around the United States. It's a HUGE industry. Huge, most shows have more than 5,000 attendees. And watching the different grooming competitions (Poodle, hand-strip, scissor trim and more, besides creative) is free to attendees.

I am constantly amazed, though I've lived long enough not to be, at how many and how varied are the subsets of work and/or hobby culture both here and internationally (eg, the subset of equestrianism). Competitions, conventions, magazines, clothing lines, etc.! 

The Huge World of Dog Grooming! Who knew?! Back in the days of "Groomer Has It," the milieu seemed composed (to me) of people barely surviving financially. 

I'm such a Couch Potato that I can only admire the dedication, the skills, and the artistry of these competitors, whether in dog grooming, baking, fashion design, make-up, etc.

I was an English teacher. Yeah, we didn't have any fun competitions (won't see us on ABC or Bravo!), and our conventions were, to me, excruciatingly boring! No $100,000 prize!

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, Temperance said:

I also didn't care for the proposal. It seemed producer-driven. Also while Justin and Alyssa are team, it's really her moment. He should let her have it.  I have no doubt they really love each other and they will probably really marry, but the proposal was for television. (I wish them both happiness.)

Really hope that was the real ring, it was gorgeous!

• LOL 1
(edited)

The "Furnale":

Well, THAT was bogus! So all of a sudden they "had to consider their entire body of work (LV)," like they remembered each dog??

Macy and Corinna's "Phoenix and Dragon" looked to me like SNL's "Linda Richman" should have added, "Neither Phoenix nor Dragon. Tawk amongst yourselves." Huge swaths of red on one side, green on t'other. Feh. 

Alyssa and Justin's dog, with the amazing carving, variety, colors, and THOSE DOGS ON THE ONE SIDE, was clearly exceptional. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 5

Alyssa and Justin, or, the Sad Sacks as we call them in my house, had the best final groom but they should have been eliminated weeks ago. We were hoping for a Gabriel and Monse win but apparently that wasn’t an option because they didn’t have a sad story. 

• Love 3
On 5/18/2021 at 12:24 AM, Temperance said:

You nailed my thoughts/feelings on the proposal.

1 hour ago, rlc said:

Alyssa and Justin, or, the Sad Sacks as we call them in my house, had the best final groom but they should have been eliminated weeks ago. We were hoping for a Gabriel and Monse win but apparently that wasn’t an option because they didn’t have a sad story. 

Wouldn't Gabriel's childhood and escape from ? can't remember the country - be a better story anyway? And their grooms were consistently better, IMHO, that Macie and Corina's. So I'm not happy with the outcome.

As to the final three dogs - two were the same breed mix, and close to the same size.  The one Gabriel and Monse got was smaller, and I don't remember them ever saying what breed it was. Anyone know? Throughout the show, the mixing of breeds and sizes made a comparison more difficult. Certainly some were easier to groom creatively than others.

• Love 3

The Bride and Groomer contest ... LOL at Macie's dog that kept shaking off its hat and bowtie. Nice job ladies. NOT! You should know how to attach those props better.

I had a real WTH moment when Gabriel's Bouvier went from a gigantic hairball head to a face that was trimmed and shaped all while a judge was standing there talking to him. It was a miracle!

The face on Alyssa's little dog was adorable.

The theme of this contest caused Rebel to hope for a proposal. You would have gotten one if TPTB hadn't sent Deb and her son home. Just sayin' girl.

Gabriel said the two Standards represented him and his husband, but the trim and color sure didn't. The dogs could have used some tux props so they resembled the photo. Instead, the two dogs resembled ... nothing. Not even a Bride and Groomer, which was the challenge theme. Fail.

Alyssa's groom was my favorite, so of course she was awarded second place. My least favorite was Macie who didn't do much grooming, just attached a hat and bowtie that the dog kept shaking off. Eh. Epic fail all around. Even Gabriel's groom was better than Macie's non-groom. And even Macie's two dogs were not impressed since both fell flat asleep during the judges' critique.

Now the winner of the challenge gets first pick of a dog to groom for the final challenge! Wow, great! Except surprise, all three dogs are identical white mongrel Poodles. The center dog was jumping up and down, happy to be there. It was my first choice, a dog with personality. It was the groomer's last choice. But no matter, all three dogs were clones of each other. No advantage to choosing first or last. So winning the challenge meant nothing. I know ... surprise.

Rebel said the contest has been going on eight weeks. I wonder how much time that was IRL. Maybe two weeks? Or less?

Gabriel reveals his parents wanted him to be a doctor, and he started crying because he decided to be a dog handler/groomer instead, thwarting his parents' plans for him, which made him feel like such an outsider. Sob story!

But then later in the episode, we are told Gabriel grew up in the slums of Brazil and lifted himself out of that squalor to come to America and groom dogs. WTH? How can people living in a Brazilian slum plan for (and pay for) their kid to go to eight years of college to be a freaking doctor? I call BS on that sob story. Beside, we were told in an earlier episode that an American professional dog handler brought Gabriel to America to work for him showing and grooming Bichons. Which story to believe ... eh, let me think ...

The final grooms are now finished! Alyssa brought her dog in and I was WOW! OMG, that's FANTASTIC. Best groom I've seen this entire season. No one can top that, it's spectacular. But guess what ... on this show, the winner always comes in last so we can be gobsmacked by how wonderful it is.

Next. Gabriel's dog is a big eh on my part. I didn't get it. But I appreciated his getting dressed in matching jacket and pants for his final presentation. Then the last dog came in, Macie's, which was an even bigger fail than Gabriel's. A phoenix and dragon? Really? I didn't see either on that dog. It was a total and completely epic FAIL.

So, of course, the judges had to fudge their winning choice by saying they had to look at the groomers' complete body of work while on the show before deciding on the winner. That way they could say Macie won with the crappiest final groom and they didn't have to admit she won because her partner being sick was the best sob story of the season.

Oh well. I had fun watching the dogs and seeing the grooms and posting here. I'll miss this show. Hope it comes back for another season. But if you are going to apply to be on, be sure you have cancer or have been evicted from your home and are living in a van down by the river or you are not going to win next season, regardless of how well you do with clippers and scissors.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

I saw the writing on the wall with Macie and Korina getting the black and white dogs for the wedding challenge. But they bungled it.

I thought their final groom really lacked in comparison to the other contestants.

Sob story won the day.

At least on ANTM and Project Runway it took several seasons before they predetermined the outcome and did everything they could to influence.

First season out of the gate…

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Useful 1

I agree it seems they went for the sob story— I was pulling for Gabriel but I thought Alyssa won both challenges hand down— even if they took in whole season— her previous work supported it

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Oh, good, I thought I was missing something about Alyssa's work.   Because I thought hat final groom and quite frankly the first groom of the episode were a lot better than the other two dogs.  And the dog whose accessories weren't correctly attached winning the advantage!?!?!?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 5/19/2021 at 11:27 PM, Infiltr8 said:

I agree it seems they went for the sob story— I was pulling for Gabriel but I thought Alyssa won both challenges hand down— even if they took in whole season— her previous work supported it

When should they have went home? The way I saw it they were front runners the entire time even with the selective editing, and dog choices. The only close call was pride maybe but it was right after the Halloween dog, and the Pom looked rad. 

• Love 1

I agree that Alyssa should have won the bride and groom. She was the only one who had a bride and did carving on the dog. Also agree that I didn't see Phoenix or dragon on Macie's dog. I would have understood if either Gabriel or Alyssa won. Appreciated that Gabriel changed his clothes for the dog walk. Wished the other groomers had done so since this was the finale.

• Love 2
On 5/9/2021 at 12:15 AM, saber5055 said:

I didn't think of that but yeah, I really liked the Sia dog. I just forgot who was the groomer.

Although my thinking is the winner has already been decided. I thought the mom and son groomers were the best throughout, but I was almost positive they wouldn't win because they are normal people with no story or hook. So while I didn't think they should go home, I was not surprised they did.

The complaint about the judges and everything else being shown more than the dogs is the same complaint I have about every reality competition show. American's Got Talent, To Tell the Truth, World of Dance ... ALL of them cut repeatedly to the judges and audiences while a performance is happening, even when the performance is less than one minute. So it's in the script that Pooch Perfect has to do the same thing, I guess because the judges are being paid to be there so lots of screen time is in their contracts.

Thinking about the Bob Ross dog ... While the groomer did a nice job turning the dog's head into Shirley Temple curls and the dog looked cool, Bob Ross had a 'fro. I would have washed the dog's head and blown the hair out straight, then sprayed it up and trimmed it into a full-on Afro. That would have been easy to do, just like doing a Poodle in a Continental clip. Like so:

bob_ross.jpg.574024c5cb90e080e2002ca66580f9d6.jpg

That would be cool but I'm pretty sure that was a portuguese water dog I bet it was a puppy, the coat was very flat and wavy? That would be a cool technique if you had a poodle. But even beyond that did you notice the paint pallet, the paint brush and the painting she put on that dog!?!?

9 hours ago, Imwatching said:

That would be cool but I'm pretty sure that was a portuguese water dog I bet it was a puppy, the coat was very flat and wavy?

Pin brush, back combing and hairspray. I can put a 'fro on any soft-coated long-haired dog. Hairspray is a must in a show-groomer's bag.