Type keyword(s) to search

Pooch Perfect - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Hosted by award-winning actress Rebel Wilson, "Pooch Perfect" is a dog grooming competition series. The eight-episode series will showcase 10 of the best dog groomers in the country, along with their assistants, competing in a series of paw-some themed challenges.

Watched the first episode. A bit heavy on the puns. Lots of adorable dogs, some cringe-worthy moments. Not a bad way to while away an hour.

• Love 5

Hi @zoey1996, thanks for starting this thread. I hope more dog lovers and groomers come to post.

I watched, wondered if I would know any of the contestants. I know several competition groomers but none who specialize in the creative cuts, that's a separate competition at grooming shows. So I didn't know anyone, although a couple of the teams aren't far from me. I felt badly for the person whose heart dog was a Boxer, not much hair there. Although I thought the groomer could have made it look more like her dog, with the white blaze and other markings.

I didn't agree with the Schnauzer winning that segment. That was a Say What, Really? moment for me.

For the elimination segment, I loved the skunk, but my favorite was the badger. So adorable. I thought the fire ant lady should have made that dog a lobster instead. I couldn't really go with the flamingo either. I thought that one was weaker than the ant dog. The elephant was funny, and a nice statement. And no, judge, the "other end" was still groomed too.

I did do a big WHAAAA? at the Afghan guy saying he's the top Afghan handler in the United States, then he embellished it to say he's the best in the world. Honey, I don't think so.

But the guy who did the goldfish is def a dog handler, he knew how to present that Bichon.

I basically tuned out when Rebel was talking and ignored all the dog costumed gallery so missed most of the stupid, thank goodness.

I thought Lisa's dog sorely needed a grooming, like STAT. It was pretty ragged looking.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

I tuned in because I love dogs.  I didn't really know what to expect.  A few of those groomers were definitely a bit extra.  At times I found myself feeling sorry for the dogs.  I swear a few of them were humiliated.  I did not care for the NJ woman so I didn't mind she left for her fire ant dog. 

• Love 3

This was kind of fascinating, but definitely felt sorry for the poor dogs, having to be messed with for hours on end. Then more hours afterward, I suppose, to wash out the dyes, unglue the various props, etc. 

The fish was pretty, and from a difficulty/technique angle probably deserved the win. I guess I'm more interested in the cute factor, so the badger was my fave.   

• Love 5

Don't feel sorry for the dogs. Dogs used for grooming competitions love being washed and fluffed and brushed and getting all that non-stop attention. The dogs last night were all experienced competition dogs. These dogs will jump up onto the grooming table by themselves and wait to get their "spa treatment." I've loaned some of my retired show dogs for grooming competitions and they loved it. If the dog doesn't like it, that will be reflected in its demeanor -- head and tail down, sulking, refusing to walk -- and it won't be part of a competition ever, just like a dog that doesn't like to show stays home while the ones that love the spotlight will get mad if they AREN'T loaded in the van to go to a show. My old best-in-show dog would literally turn his back on me if I took another dog to the ring and left him behind.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9

I didn't agree with the goldfish winning. Was the fish supposed to be eating the dog? Ant lady was awful. Found it curious that there 2 groomers who didn't get interviewed at all.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this show.  I thought the dogs looked happy and that most of the groomers were bonding and being careful with their assigned dogs.  I didn't really understand the first competition-the "heart dog" as I thought they were supposed to focus on precision grooming, but when so many had color/cut--outs/sequins/etc. applied to them I was confused.  I totally understood the second challenge, but not some of the decisions.  Really, a red ant?  The flamingo also seemed really bad.  What I really appreciated about the winning dog was the "scales" that the groomer cut on the dog and then painted accordingly.

However, during the dog runway, they focused way too much on the judges and the "audience."  I thought it was cute to have an audience of stuffed dogs and costumes, but I 'got it' the first time they showed it.  I would rather have seen more of the dogs and close-ups of the cuts and design.  I do want to hear the comments that the judges make, but don't need to see all of their "reaction" shots every 5 seconds.  

I will watch the rest of the season and hopefully the challenges will be interesting.    I was glad to hear that Rebel has experience in the dog world, it justifies her role as host IMO.  

• Love 6

Did Rebel only agree to do the show if she's given an opening vignette, and that's why they're pretending that the entire show is a dream her dog is having? That part was a bit WTF. Hopefully they drop that little gimmick going forward.

LVP didn't annoy me as much as I feared, probably because she's not the designated "mean" judge, but I see she couldn't wait to make a "doggie style" joke. Yes Lisa, we get it, you're a naughty Brit.

I like that they have a judge whose focus is on the dog handling aspect. 

• Love 2

I agreed with the winner for tonight's show. That Halloween groom was brilliant! Felt bad for the Christmas one that just wasn't really Christmassy enough.  The doughnut one was so cute!  And in the earlier "puppertunity immunity," the tetris dog was just bizarre.  

The creative groomers are very different from other groomers. Nice that a handful are getting to demonstrate their mad skillz. The show relies heavily on puns and distractions/entertainment.  Don't know what ratings are like. Watching creative groomers is probably a niche audience, but seeing so many adorable dogs? That probably draws a lot of dog lovers.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 4/1/2021 at 5:24 PM, dmeets said:

Did Rebel only agree to do the show if she's given an opening vignette

It is unfortunate that last night we were subjected to a very not funny opening vignette of Rebel waiting to pee on a fire hydrant. Has society progressed so far backward that anyone would find that remotely funny?

I was disappointed about the losers who went home ... I couldn't remember any of her grooms so don't know if I agreed or not. I wish they would give a quick recap of the loser's grooms, show some fast photos as she walked out, so we could see why judges decided that way, and if we agree.

The geometric groom, I didn't have a favorite, but I had to laugh at the rhombus groom because I had just heard this yesterday: "I was late for my geometry class, I got on the rhombus."

I liked the Chinese New Year groom, and the Christmas Elf groom was good too, but the Halloween groom was indeed spectacular and deserved to win this entire competition and take home the $100,000. The others, not so much. Cinco de Mayo (my fav holiday) was disappointing as were so many others.

I'm getting a kick out of the one groomer's son (I think he is) flirting with Rebel.

For anyone thinking some of these contestants are OTT or "extra," while I don't know these people personally, I know many, many people just like them in the dog show world. These people aren't making it up, that's how they really are. And I love them for it.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 4/3/2021 at 8:40 PM, Stats Queen said:

Unpopular opinion but I thought the fire ant was incredibly creative and well done.

I agree with this, but the show only let us see the fire ant dog for a split second. It had antenna and other attributes that made it more interesting and well done, we just weren't allowed to see them. I guess the judges just thought "fire ant, WTH is that" so sent that person home.

I do like the one guy groomer (I can't tell them apart yet) who has a very nice hand with a dog when presenting his final groom. I can tell some of these people are also show-dog people.

• Love 2

I think there is a huge chasm in terms of abilities.  Some of the final grooms were amazing and others just looked messy.  However, while watching I thought it might be more fair if every grooming team had the same size dog.  Watching the shampooing, drying, cutting, it struck me that the teams with the larger dogs lost more time with the shampoo/dry as well as were dinged for seemingly not doing as much of the specialized treatments.  I thought that the groomers had to do more work on the larger dogs to the designs over the entire body.

I was confused about the Valentine Day dog as they were dying the entire dog  but when presented, its body was mainly white with just a few accents of color.

Anyway, I would also like them to acknowledge maybe the top two or three looks at the judging while awarding the "Best in Show."  I loved the Christmas Elf dog and agreed that the Halloween dog was just above and beyond amazing, but I would have like the judges acknowledge the work on the Christmas dog.

Oh, and I agree about Rebel's opening skit.  Had it just shown her in line for the fire hydrant I would have really liked it, and actually did.  But, I did not have to see her mimic actually trying to pee.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

However, while watching I thought it might be more fair if every grooming team had the same size dog. 

I was going to say the same thing. A professional show-dog handler told me she could groom four Wire Fox Terriers in the same time it took her to do one Airedale. I was thinking of that watching this episode, especially with the comments about "Gosh, so much hair," and "Drying all this hair is going to take the whole three hours."

I had forgotten they showed the Valentine dog being dyed red all over. I was just disappointed that all it had was a heart on its butt and that's all. So much more could have been done.

I was stumped about why that big white dog had a blue stomach. i think if I were the groomer, I would have incorporated that into my color scheme and not given a second full bath/blow dry.

I like the before/after pictures but wish they would show the finished dogs more instead of so much judge and peanut gallery. I haven't heard Lisa say much more than she wishes she were being paid in dogs instead of dollars, and the other woman, I don't know if we've heard from her at all. Oh, wait: She did say the Tetris dog looked like an allergy test, so i guess we did hear from her. Everyone seems to be all about the Celebrity Groomer Judge though. I'd like to know what celebrity dogs he does groom. If it's Lisa's, he's got nothing to brag about.

• Love 3

Ironic that Blake took a challenge seriously, wasn't flitting about and talking to all the other groomers, and he gets sent home. Not sure why his vision was considered the worst. Thought maybe this would be a nonelimination round. The goats were very cute. I think the hounds should be released before the clock is started. Love how all the groomers interact with their subjects before starting.

• Love 1

I took notes this week as I still don't know who everyone is. The goat challenge was interesting. I bred and milked a herd of dairy goats for many years. They are wonderfully peaceful animals. It was interesting one groomer said goat hair was like a terrier's except harsher. "Like goat hair" was used to describe the coat of one hunting hound in a breed magazine. I told the author I knew what he meant, but how many others had ever touched a goat.

But I digress.

The Flame Goat made me laugh, with the spiked ridge of flame down its back. I also liked the Mardi Gras goat and the leopard one. I did not like Blake and Bobby's green goat AT ALL. Ick. I also did not like the winner. I guess I don't qualify for being a judge on this show.

When Blake told his LBGTQ story it was tear inducing, and I thought wow, if this were The Bachelor he is going through to next week FOR SURE just based on that story. Those kind of stories always get a contestant one more week on that franchise.

That Standard Poodle was gorgeous when it was brought in for the elimination round. That was a competitive show dog for sure.

Once again, someone gets the huge Poodle and someone else gets a tiny Japanese Chin. What's up with these freakishly disproportionate dog assignments.

I was glad the woman who did the color under the coat got acknowledged for it. That dog ended up very pretty. If I were its owner, I would def keep that.

One contestant saying LBGTQ people are drawn to dogs because dogs love you regardless of who you are was a great statement. I hadn't thought about it before hearing that, but the dog-show world is full of gay people, and they are accepted there by all the people, too. I have more gay/lesbian friends than straight in the dog world and never gave it a thought, I just hung around with the people I liked, never giving anyone's sexuality a thought. The dog-show world also is a place where a person living in a van can compete -- and win -- against a bank president. It's the dog that makes the difference.

As for the ending ... I guess Blake's story didn't make up for his dog that looked... well, not so good. I agreed his was the worst groom, so bye Blake. I'll miss your great outfits.

• Love 7

It seems like it's becoming more and more about painting the dogs rather than the cut and styling.  I thought the dog with the pride painted wings was the best as the wings were so cleanly and clearly cut and styled.  I also appreciated the one groomers cut flowers and leaves during the first round were really good as, again, it clearly showed grooming skills.  In the first round, the fire/ice dog that won just seemed to have paint splotches.  

I don't really understand what the judges expect, but I do know that some of the goats and dogs looked amazing while others not so much.

• Love 4

One of the dog-show magazines sent out an email this morning with its question of the week: "Are you watching Pooch Perfect and, if so, what do you think about it." It will be interesting to hear what people say. I'll link to it when they publish the answers.

• Love 8
On 4/16/2021 at 6:45 PM, saber5055 said:

One of the dog-show magazines sent out an email this morning with its question of the week: "Are you watching Pooch Perfect and, if so, what do you think about it." It will be interesting to hear what people say. I'll link to it when they publish the answers.

I wish my Mom were alive and could watch this so I could get her take on it.  She was a professional dog groomer for several years and always owned dogs that needed grooming, which she did herself at home (Poodles and Westies).  So that's one reason I tuned into this.  I have to say that I don't know if she would appreciate all the abstract OTT shapes and colors.  She was old school and I think she may have thought that stuff was a little too much.  Although she did have a terrific sense of humor and was very artistic so maybe like me she would have softened up to it.  The first episode I was kind of horrified but the dogs all seem to love it so why not?  It's just for fun.  Although I'm not in total agreement with the winners.  I thought the Halloween dog was fantastic but there were others that I thought should have at least gotten an honorable mention.  I think sometimes less is more, you know?  The judges seem to want to see everything at once exploding all over the dog.  But I thought the New Year's Eve dog was amazing as was the Chinese New Year dog with the amazing feet.  And the Christmas dog was pretty amazing too.  I haven't watched the "goat" episode yet.

• Love 4

I didn't understand what exactly they were looking for with the "PetGala" challenge.  I think it could have been a little more specific. I also think they act like the Met Gala is something everyone knows, when it isn't relevant for a lot of people. 

• Love 3

I agree that what they were looking for was very vague. Glad Deb was able to recover from a poor first round and her injured finger. Why do they need assistants? Some of them don't seem to do anything. The groomers need to learn that painting a pattern on the dog for the final round gets them sent home.

Wanted to add that Rizza making the dress and collar out of her dog's fur was amazing!

Edited by Grizzly
  • Love 3

I liked the glow-in-the-dark scorpion dog. I did not like the biker dog at all, even with the sob story that was attached to it. Sob story didn't work last week either, dude.

I thought the skeleton dog was pretty good, but as for judges saying the dog wasn't "groomed," did they look at its head? Adorable.

The Shih Tzu with the blue pop eyes and wry mouth that it couldn't close freaked me out, and the camera kept showing it, close up. Gah, that's a face even a mother couldn't love.

Got a laugh that the people who created the jellyfish dog day-glowed themselves too. LOVED the octopus dog, when it went under the black light and all the octopus details showed up, that was gorgeous. Deserved to win that segment.

The Pet Carpet Gala groom was pretty self-explanatory, dude up the dog so it looks like it's a glamor star walking the red carpet for the paparazzi. Except you know how this show would change THAT word. Anyway, I liked the Burberry dog but the groomer should have kept the big black fur collar and made the coat leopard print with some gold dazzles. Burberry is not red carpet. The guy who got the Afghan deserved to go home, he basically didn't do anything. Maybe he had instructions not to shave that show coat off of the dog, but he could have added strings of diamonds, a tiara, gold color and bracelets on the legs instead of just pasting some diamonds on the dog's back and calling it done. Lazy.

The black Mini Poodle was a fabulous dog, gorgeous and showy on its own. No doubt a retired champion. The groomer did a great job with those rounded pieces on its coat. Deserved to win.

I get a kick that the boyfriend/girlfriend team, the woman changes up her hair color every episode.

Interesting they showed Deb getting a grooming injury. Those tools are SHARP and I've been wounded by scissors, stripping knifes, thinning shears, dremmel tools. Name it, groomers have gotten their hands/fingers in the way more than once.

@Yeah No, interesting your mom groomed Poodles and Westies. Two totally different breeds to groom, especially if she put the Westie in show coat. Anyone watching this show needs to know there are grooming competitions around the country (and world, there is a U.S. Groom Team that competes in Europe and other countries). There is nice money to be won at grooming competitions, and there are many divisions. Just do a Google search. Creative grooming is a separate division and those groomers are separate from those who compete in the "regular" grooming divisions. All the people on this show are well-established creative competition groomers, not just some randos clipping their pet dogs at home.

Assistants are needed to help brush/blow dry, get color mixed, get the accessories ready, help glue those on, hold the dog's head steady when the partner is doing an intricate scissor on some part ... if the dog moves and WHACK a chunk gets cut off by mistake, the groom is ruined. One person can also be doing feet while the other is doing the head. I'd love to have help grooming my dogs, get done in half the time. (Or I'd sit and have some coffee while my assistant did the whole groom ...)

• Love 6
(edited)
59 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The Shih Tzu with the blue pop eyes and wry mouth that it couldn't close freaked me out, and the camera kept showing it, close up. Gah, that's a face even a mother couldn't love.

Aw, I loved that dog. I thought it was really cute!

I thought the glam Beyoncé (or whoever) was an inspired plan, but execution lacked on the Afghan.

Edited by zoey1996
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Adrian was the right one to send home.  His grooming has consistently been underwhelming to me.  Even the rhinestone strips on the Afghan's back were uneven.

A lot of amazing work by the others.  However, I think one of the problems within the show is that the expectations are not clearly conveyed to the groomers.  The first challenge was about black lights but during the judging they said it was two competitions in one which was a different interpretation.

I think even the judges are confused at times.  The faux argument between two of the judges over the Afghan was ridiculous.  I also would rather see more of the actual work/appearance of the dogs rather than the faux pet audience and/or judges' reactions. The judges talk about the confidence/lack of confidence of the groomers, but it's on them and their lack of clarity and encouragement.  I still think they should acknowledge the top looks of the final competition as that would encourage the others who were in the top.

Rebel is wearing on me a bit.  I think it might be her delivery of her lines.  

• Love 6

I just binged the last three episodes.

I am amazed at all the artistic skill these people have.

I really dislike the male judge, I think his name is Jorge. I find him way over the top and kind of mean.

I like Rebel Wilson and think her delivery is okay, but I hope it gets better. 

• Love 1

What is this show doing to people that they are crying all the time? Hopefully they are just stressed and feeling pressure. 

I thought the right person went home tonight, although all the designs were good. The sent-home contestant was just the weakest, imo.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:52 PM, Stats Queen said:

I really dislike the male judge, I think his name is Jorge. I find him way over the top and kind of mean.

I get the sense he supposed to be the mean or tough judge,  somewhere between Simon Cowell and Len on Dancing with the Stars. He's also like Bruno on Dancing With the Stars. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked the opener with both Rebel and the dog dressed like Cruella  de Vil. Cute.

I so dislike the OTT sob stories. The right groomer went home, but I hoped Riza would win best in show, for doing both her dog and helping Josh after Philip walked off.

The formula for the show is way too predictable. Also, too much manufactured drama and not enough of the grooming itself.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 8

I thought the hidden mickey's were cool but I didn't get the Lilo and Stitch dog. I'd have gone with the Brave dog or the Frozen dog.. or at least what we saw of it the Elsa side looked freakishly like Elsa.  I dont' remember though much of the Anna side.  Did we see it?  

I like kid and mom's vibe.  

• Love 3

For the assistant-grooming, I thought the mom and son was far and away the best groom of all of them. That dog came out looking lovely.

Obviously, having a sob story is what is expected of every reality competition show these days. They get contestants an extra week on The Bachelor. Here, not so much. Except it did work tonight. Just not for the boyfriend team.

I did not like the groom on the dog of the two guys. Blond/ginger guy is a self-proclaimed Best EVAH so geesh man, maybe you shoulda given your boyfriend/husband a bit more constructive help.

I about had a heart attack seeing what was being done to that Afghan, not only clipping it but leaving HUGE gross clipper marks all over so it looked like a bad sheep-shearing job. Wow, if that were my dog I'd make the show pay for a real groomer to fix that mess.

The Airedale was another poor groom, the dog was already in a pet pattern so all that person had to do was follow that and not use any skill whatsoever. Then throw in a sob story on top of it. The end groom was HORRIBLE and absolutely DID NOT deserve to win immunity. I'm a terrier person and that face could have been done in a lovely manner by blowing out and straight brushing the eyebrows and beard to make the dog actually resemble an Airedale. Plus the beard pattern was in absolutely the wrong place for any terrier, much less the King of Terriers. I guess the sob story won that challenge because they made that dog look like crap. Ruined a dog that could have been made to look like a real terrier, at least in expression/face, the most important part of a dog since the face is the first thing you see when you open your eyes in the morning.

The Disney challenge was fun. I really liked the Bug's Life purple face. The Hercules dog got an "Eh" from me. The Brave dog's face was fabulous. I loved it. The Lilo dog was pretty cool but not my winner. I didn't know about hidden Mickey heads, even when I went to Disneyland/World, never heard about that. So it was good the groomer explained it so it got her extra points. The flowers were also good, well done. The Little Mermaid ... eh, just okay.

I laughed that the Frozen groomer had a blue right hand. I loved the big braid down the one side. Wish that dog could have been shown more.

I actually forgot who won. I wish they would show the winning dog again, or have the dogs come out with the groomers when the decision is made. I was okay with the I'm The Best Big Attitude dude went home though. I'm liking the mom and son team best. No sob stories, just good grooming.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The Airedale was another poor groom, the dog was already in a pet pattern so all that person had to do was follow that and not use any skill whatsoever. Then throw in a sob story on top of it. The end groom was HORRIBLE and absolutely DID NOT deserve to win immunity. I'm a terrier person and that face could have been done in a lovely manner by blowing out and straight brushing the eyebrows and beard to make the dog actually resemble an Airedale. Plus the beard pattern was in absolutely the wrong place for any terrier, much less the King of Terriers. I guess the sob story won that challenge because they made that dog look like crap. Ruined a dog that could have been made to look like a real terrier, at least in expression/face, the most important part of a dog since the face is the first thing you see when you open your eyes in the morning.

I have enjoyed learning about dog grooming from you. I have cats who tend to groom themselves.

I know nothing about dog grooming in general but I actually thought that Airedale was the worst and was stunned when they won.

• Love 1

I do not know much about grooming (so I also love coming here and learning) but I do agree that I thought the 'sob story' won the immunity competition.  I thought other dogs looked better.  

I really liked the Brave dog (the baby bear heads were great and the red hair on the 'princess' was really nice), but also liked the others.  I think Rizza (?) doesn't have enough of a 'story' to win the show, but she won with me when she went to help the other team.  I agree that the right team went home-the face on Ariel really wasn't good.

I continue to be frustrated with all of the reaction shots, faux audience shots, sob stories, and every thing else that detracts from seeing the dogs and the grooming.  I'm in for the dogs!

• Love 6

Several years ago there was a grooming show on Animal Planet, but it was regular grooming so the same but different if you know what I mean. Anyway, a good friend of mine, a professional and competition groomer, was on it. I learned a lot from her about how some of these reality shows are done. 'Nuf said!

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I agree the sob story should not have won immunity. I thought Gabriel's assistant (sorry I don't remember her name) had the nicest looking dog. The Disney theme was a good choice since it really allowed for creativity. Amazing no one picked the same movie. I liked all the dogs but Ariel was the right one to go home. Maybe if he'd spent more time working instead of having a fit. I didn't think Alyssa should've won since she had to really explain who her dog was.

• Love 2
(edited)

Who the heck is Cia; what is she known for?  I tried to google, but it keeps giving me CIA references!
Celeb grooms were fun. More later…

Edited by zoey1996
  • LOL 1

I have to say it: The married woman, the one with glasses whose partner is her overweight husband---sounds exactly like a younger version of the heretofore inimitable DANIELLE of "90DF" and "Mohammet" fame! She even resembles Danielle! (They have Billie Eilish to copy.)

WTH hasn't heard of Lady Gaga?! Lose, you loser!

21 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Thanks! I was sure I saw it spelled with a C. Now, what is 90DF?

Liked the time/era grooms. They were all good. Lower drama, but still there. 
Mr. Zoey manages to stay happily ignorant of most pop culture celebs, etc. He’ll sometimes hear a reference and claim he’s never heard of whoever. It isn’t important to him, so he doesn’t retain it. Ask him anything about Presidential or other governmental history, and he’s your man.

(edited)
7 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Thanks! I was sure I saw it spelled with a C. Now, what is 90DF?

Liked the time/era grooms. They were all good. Lower drama, but still there. 
Mr. Zoey manages to stay happily ignorant of most pop culture celebs, etc. He’ll sometimes hear a reference and claim he’s never heard of whoever. It isn’t important to him, so he doesn’t retain it. Ask him anything about Presidential or other governmental history, and he’s your man.

90DF = 90 Day Fiance. (We're a fun bunch! Same with MAFS: Married At First Sight!)

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I am annoyed because if it was a truly pure competition, each contestant should have had to work with the same breed of dog. 

That male judge continues to just annoy me..

Who is Jorge Bendersky?

https://abc.com/shows/pooch-perfect/cast/jorge-bendersky

I remember Jorge from "Groomer Has It." I think he's  a sweetheart.

As for the dogs, I think they should at least be similar in size. It's easier to show a design on a larger dog like an Afghan hound.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3
(edited)

The celebrity dog contest was lots of fun. Billy Eilish made big news with her recent British Vogue cover where she's wearing a corset and has Marilyn Monroe hair. But doing her "typical" look with the green hair made her a super person to copy. Too bad the result was an epic fail IMO.

I just read a big story on Bob Ross and why his paintings aren't for sale anywhere, so it was funny one team got him. He's really come back via commercials and such, so his company is making tons of $ even though he's dead. I thought his dog look alike was pretty good. Liked the team adding paint-daubed "clothes" to the dog.

Sort of a cheat that the Whoopie dog was already corded. Would it have been in bad taste for the groomer to color the dog's face black? Sort of a touchy subject, that.

That Sia was one of the celebrities made me laugh. Talk about perfect, and so easy to create. The dog's face made me LOL, so hilarious and spot on, just like the real Sia.

Lady Gaga was the hardest celeb to recreate. She has so many looks. I would have given the Afghan a beehive do and done more than throw a pink sheet over its back, like make the body look like a meat suit. Ha ha, yes, I remember that outfit.

But now it's revealed that groomers all had a big photo of their celebrities to match. Geesh. Thanks show for letting us know that ... at the very end. I agreed that the Whoopie dog looked best, but the Sia dog might have won if I were judging. Gaga was the worst, Eilish also was bad and Bob Ross was middle of the pack IMO.

Gabriel's Marie Antoinette dog made me LOL. Deb/Jordan's 60s dog was just okay. Well, barely okay since I didn't like it at all. Loved Alissa's pop culture dog. Macie's disco dog was fabulous. Rizza's Flashdance dog was good too, I loved the head.

Macie deserved to win BIS. Deb's was the weakest which surprised me since IMO she was the best groomer in weeks past. Oh well. She represented herself well, she is an excellent groomer.

Next week = a proposal. Please, I'll get my barf bag ready. I am so sick of these manufactured famewhore proposals.

I have no problems with Judge Jorge. I know many people in the dog world just like him, and I enjoy their company, they are more fun to be around than my boring straight friends.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Macie deserved to win BIS. Deb's was the weakest which surprised me since IMO she was the best groomer in weeks past. Oh well. She represented herself well, she is an excellent groomer.

SERIOUSLY!!!   Deb is a really, really good groomer.  This, however, was not good.  She was absolutely the right choice to go home and I am not complaining about it but it makes me sad I won't get to see the rest of her grooms because I really, really liked her work.

• Love 5
(edited)
22 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Would it have been in bad taste for the groomer to color the dog's face black?

Yes.

I'm impressed with the contestants who are left. Mother/son were talented as well, but the "date me Rebel" schtick was getting old. Fortunately I didn't catch any of that this week. I'm rooting for Gabriel, but I'm getting runner-up vibes from him. 

Edited by dmeets
  • Love 2

I will watch this to the end, but probably won't be back if there's a second season.  The producers aren't interested in what I am interested, and I'm not interested in what they are interested.  Waaaaay too much of the judges and they seem to try to hard to draw the attention to themselves.  I really want to focus on the dogs and the grooming, but even when they are showing the end products, they show the judges' reactions more than the dogs.  Let me have my own reaction-I don't need to see how the judges react in order to know how I want to react.

Also, as an above poster stated (and I have stated about earlier episodes), give them all the same breed so that it is a clear comparison rather than trying to compare apples/oranges (i.e. Afghans/small Terriers).

I think Rebel is really beautiful.

• Love 3