Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E17: First Comes Love...

ByTor
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Natalie is pretty. Those large blue eyes and the curls, she would've looked lovely. But I agree, her brushing her hair was a "tell" at her emotional state. 

Except that as a curly girl, I don't even own a brush!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

Curly hair needs lots of tender loving care or you’ll end up looking like Albert Einstein. I was so happy my daughter was born with flaxen straight locks thanks to her father. I’m stuck with the fighting the frizz and battling curls that won’t curl how I want them. I can literally hear the curls frizzing up on rainy or humid days.

Maybe TLC provided Natalie with the MinimiserBra?  She was busting out all over in the first pics.  

Stop fighting the curl and just go with it.  Haven't you learned?  You.  Will.  Never.  Win.

16 minutes ago, Opine said:

Except that as a curly girl, I don't even own a brush!  

Spoken like a true curly girl.  Me neither, by the way. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I would think she would want to live in a city with a bit of a Ukrainian population, you know, some people who appreciate her cake, lol.

How in the world did I end up really liking her?  I never would have guessed that she would be so likeable.

I feel the same way about Julia.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Shauna said:

You definitely are an exception to the rule.  When I tell people who don't have curly hair that curly hair people don't brush their hair, they reply:  why not?  or with furrowed brow.  

It would drive me crazy not to be able to comb my hair. 

Andrew is in the same mold of entitled, puffy, pasty, pudgy mama's boys as Coltie. They think that they can have a woman as their possession by paying for their airplane tickets and their visas. Their mothers coddle them and tell them how great they are and that they got screwed by the evil woman that took advantage of them for a green card. Good luck, Amira. Don't cry. You lost a nothing. A loser.

Both Natalie and Mike have packed on the pounds since the first time we met them. They are going to be miserable. I don't read any spoilers but I wouldn't be surprised if they're already divorced.

Rebecca's dress with the corset over it was like a sausage stuffed in its casing. Riding in on the Cinderella carriage was a bit much for her fourth wedding.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Andrew and his family; y'all piss off. My first panic attack I was driving it was so bad i drove myself to the emergency room. I honest to God thought I was having a heart attack.

Me too.  My first was when I was washing dishes one morning.  I felt like I was going to faint.  I couldn’t go in stores or any function.  My husband did the grocery shopping.  Lasted four years.  A light tranquilizer helped me from my female doctor.  I was 42 years old.  I think it was hormones or my first going away to college.  If I drove the car, I had to hold on to the windshield.  Horrible.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Matty said:

Andrew is in the same mold of entitled, puffy, pasty, pudgy mama's boys as Coltie. They think that they can have a woman as their possession by paying for their airplane tickets and their visas. Their mothers coddle them and tell them how great they are and that they got screwed by the evil woman that took advantage of them for a green card. Good luck, Amira. Don't cry. You lost a nothing. A loser.

Both Natalie and Mike have packed on the pounds since the first time we met them. They are going to be miserable. I don't read any spoilers but I wouldn't be surprised if they're already divorced.

Rebecca's dress with the corset over it was like a sausage stuffed in its casing. Riding in on the Cinderella carriage was a bit much for her fourth wedding.

They couldn’t afford a small bouquet to take a nice picture?

On 4/5/2021 at 3:16 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

I am so sorry. My dad fell down some stairs, ended up in hospital with good prognosis but died suddenly March 6th. He was 77, turning 78 next week. PM if you need to talk. I know how hard it is, especially during a pandemic.

So sorry.  March has not been a good month.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I read somewhere Natalie was some kind of actress in the Ukraine.  Maybe she thought she could make it in the U.S.

She was in a music video that was posted here. I’m too lazy to check if it’s still here.

(edited)
On 4/5/2021 at 8:12 AM, Bugfrey Von said:

I think Natalie looked fine, but it tickles me that it looks like she’s packed on some weight after giving Mike grief about needing to lose 20 kilos. 

I'm wondering if the Poor Man's Glenn Close got implants over here. Desperate to hook Mikey, and that's one way to get, um, attention. Lord, that scene in Daisy Dukes on the bed was like outtakes from Penthouse. She needed a good bra from Molly to cantilever it all up, into a tasteful dress for the wedding--not spaghetti straps, braless, and see-through, outdoors in WA in spring. And I say this as a 38D; as Kramer would say, "My girls need a home!" Nice of Mike to get out some chinos and a sport shirt for the occasion. /s 

As far as Yara's cake, that's one thing my father did right -- he always thanked and complimented my mother on her cooking, even when it didn't exactly hit the target. A cake from scratch is a lot of work, and I bet she had to somehow get the ingredients, too. Jovi's an azz. He seems spoiled.  

Edited by Tuneful
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, FurBabyMama said:

I felt so bad for Yara when she did all that work making jovi the birthday cake just for him to say he didn’t like it. My family is Russian and Ukrainian, those cakes take a lot of effort to make, so much so that we never make them and just buy it ready made. But they’re delicious, though very different from American cakes.

Can you describe how they're different?  Texture?  Sweetness?  Something else?  I'm curious if she might have screwed it up, or if it's just not to his liking, and I'm struggling to come up with a cake that wouldn't be to my liking.  I don't remember--did they show her reaction to how it tasted, to indicate whether it was "right"? 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Can you describe how they're different?  Texture?  Sweetness?  Something else?  I'm curious if she might have screwed it up, or if it's just not to his liking, and I'm struggling to come up with a cake that wouldn't be to my liking.  I don't remember--did they show her reaction to how it tasted, to indicate whether it was "right"? 

I think she said she made a medovik? It’s basically super thin layers of honey cake with a sour cream frosting in between. You have to bake each layer separately, so it’s a time consuming and annoying process to roll out the dough, cut out the circle, bake it and repeat 10 times. And then you have to let it all chill together. 

Russian cakes tend to be more layers and flavors, different textures, etc. I feel like a lot of them also tend to be sweeter and richer than american style cakes. But the frostings are not as sweet. 

I looked into making a spartak cake once, which is one of my favorite cakes. I was exhausted just reading the recipe so I didn’t even start. My grandma used to make medovik from scratch, but because of how time consuming it is, she didn’t make it often, and my mom never had a desire to make it from scratch. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, FurBabyMama said:

I think she said she made a medovik?

Thanks!  I couldn't understand what she said, and my quick internet search for Ukranian cakes didn't really lead me anywhere.

6 minutes ago, FurBabyMama said:

Russian cakes tend to be more layers and flavors, different textures, etc. I feel like a lot of them also tend to be sweeter and richer than american style cakes. But the frostings are not as sweet.

Then Jovi's not only rude, but an idiot to boot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

My first shot didn't hurt at all and the second just a bee sting kinda feel. I was feverish and achy for about 48 hours after. I took the day off too and I'm glad I did. 

I liked Yara a lot, too. I hope she learns to love New Orleans. I think she'd do better up north though. She'd do fine in NYC, or Philadelphia. 

I haven't gotten sick yet, but I was tired and yeah my left arm has been sore.  I'm happy I took the day off. 

I like Yara and Jovi in spite of myself.  They are one of the rare couples on this show who I think are authentic, entertaining and imperfect in an entertaining way.  

Their breakout star status this season seems authentic.  

Its weird, because I dislike Julia and Brandon and im sure that the story elements were similar.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tuneful said:

I'm wondering if the Poor Man's Glenn Close got implants over here. Desperate to hook Mikey, and that's one way to get, um, attention. Lord, that scene in Daisy Dukes on the bed...it was like outtakes from Penthouse. She needed a good bra from Molly to cantilever it all up into a tasteful dress for the wedding--not spaghetti straps, braless, and see-through, outdoors in WA, in April. And I say this as a 38D; as Kramer would say, "My girls need a home!" Nice of Mike to get out some chinos and a sport shirt for the occasion. /s 

As far as Yara's cake, that's one thing my father did right -- he always thanked and complimented my mother on her cooking, even when it didn't exactly hit the target. A cake from scratch is a lot of work and I bet she had to somehow get the ingredients, too. Jovi's an azz. He seems spoiled.  

I wondered about the possibility of implants too.  

I had thought she might have gotten them back home.  She has definitely gained weight. 

Nothing wrong with that at all.  But she probably shouldn't wear clothes that don't fit her.  I've seen her in her jeans and that button fly was working overtime. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

I’m glad that we wrapped up these thinly woven stories that dragged on for an entire season.  However, now I’m fretting over the Tell All because I still don’t trust TLC and I believe that the lies will continue as they try to sell the spin off shows with whichever couples  managed to finagle new contracts.  
So here are my expectations for the Tell All.  
1.  if anybody gets up and leaves, they don’t get paid. I’m sick of people stomping off and wasting our air time as we wonder if they will come back.
2.  The refusal to answer questions has got to stop.  It’s called Tell ALL, people.  So to be nice, I give each of them one pass on one question and they have to answer everything else or they get a fine, say $1,000 for each unanswered question.  And if they answer every question truthfully, they get a bonus of $1,000.
3.  Have a 5 minute warmup period where they Implement real time questions from the internet.  Rapid fire, no filtering with the interviewer getting to pick and choose.  Anything goes.  
Then I would be excited.   
.... now that I think about it, #1 is completely controlled by editing.  We know that they film for hours and then they piece together the final show.  TLC, we don’t want to see people dash away from the camera.  

Edited by Colfrmb
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11

A recipe for a Russian Napoleon cake popped up on my Pinterest page, it looks a lot like Yara's cake.  I did not even do a Google search, I think my computer can hear.  The author of the recipe does not recommend waiting the 24 to 48 hours for the layers to soften...just thought it was funny that it popped up out of nowhere.

• LOL 3
55 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

I’m glad that we wrapped up these thinly woven stories that dragged on for an entire season.  However, now I’m fretting over the Tell All because I still don’t trust TLC and I believe that the lies will continue as they try to sell the spin off shows with whichever couples  managed to finagle new contracts.  
So here are my expectations for the Tell All.  
1.  if anybody gets up and leaves, they don’t get paid. I’m sick of people stomping off and wasting our air time as we wonder if they will come back.
2.  The refusal to answer questions has got to stop.  It’s called Tell ALL, people.  So to be nice, I give each of them one pass on one question and they have to answer everything else or they get a fine, say $1,000 for each unanswered question.  And if they answer every question truthfully, they get a bonus of $1,000.
3.  Have a 5 minute warmup period where they Implement real time questions from the internet.  Rapid fire, no filtering with the interviewer getting to pick and choose.  Anything goes.  
Then I would be excited.   
.... now that I think about it, #1 is completely controlled by editing.  We know that they film for hours and then they piece together the final show.  TLC, we don’t want to see people dash away from the camera.  

Yes!!  Remember Nicole?  "That is private between us" -no, it is not.  You signed up for REALITY TV.  Spill it!  I wish I could be the moderator so I can call Andrew out on his crap and show the abusive texts he sent Amira and I would go HARD after his mom and sister.  I agree so much with the leaving.  I leave my job and me no get paid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
57 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

A recipe for a Russian Napoleon cake popped up on my Pinterest page, it looks a lot like Yara's cake.  I did not even do a Google search, I think my computer can hear.  The author of the recipe does not recommend waiting the 24 to 48 hours for the layers to soften...just thought it was funny that it popped up out of nowhere.

Yara's cake looked like the Lithuanian Honey cake my BFF made for Easter. It may be a little dry compared to what Jovi was used to, the layers are very thin, with lots of cream in between each layer. But Yara worked hard on it, and Jovi should be thankful that she tried, especially with her being alone and pregnant while he was away. I can appreciate the cake on a technical level, but its not my most favorite dessert she makes- I am not into filling/cream/frosting etc, and like more moist thicker layers of cake we tend to have in North America.

Now all that being said it was for Jovi's bday and if he didnt like it or wanted something else he shouldn't be forced to eat the entire thing! lol. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, FurBabyMama said:

I think she said she made a medovik? It’s basically super thin layers of honey cake with a sour cream frosting in between. You have to bake each layer separately, so it’s a time consuming and annoying process to roll out the dough, cut out the circle, bake it and repeat 10 times. And then you have to let it all chill together. 

I looked into making a spartak cake once, which is one of my favorite cakes. I was exhausted just reading the recipe so I didn’t even start. My grandma used to make medovik from scratch, but because of how time consuming it is, she didn’t make it often, and my mom never had a desire to make it from scratch. 

I was really disappointed with his reaction to the cake because it looked so beautiful.

Also, I really like Gwen. I was so happy that she went and got Yara and brought her home with her. I also give her a lot of credit for not just allowing herself to be offended by Yara's blunt, closed off personality. She pushed through and got to know her, but also gave her her space, and as a result I think that they have a really sweet connection with each other.

• Love 11
On 4/6/2021 at 6:30 AM, Bluesky said:

My daughter had her pacifier until kindergarten.  She started orthodontia at 10 years old with a palate expander and she has a normal smile.  I wonder why they didn’t  fix it.

Even if parents aren't aware of dental "corrections," their DENTIST should be!  My sons didn't have pacifiers (were they not popular in 1966-1968 or I was just lucky?), but the older one had a cross-bite and one of those palate-expanders from age 7 to ... who knows when.  We became little mechanical experts, "keying" that thing every evening. (I have a best friend whose 3yr-old  kept "stealing" the new baby's pacifiers for almost a year. They'd be found hidden here and there. YEARS later when a sofa was reupholstered, 3-4 cruddy pacifiers were discovered).

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Teri313 said:

I was really disappointed with his reaction to the cake because it looked so beautiful.

Also, I really like Gwen. I was so happy that she went and got Yara and brought her home with her. I also give her a lot of credit for not just allowing herself to be offended by Yara's blunt, closed off personality. She pushed through and got to know her, but also gave her her space, and as a result I think that they have a really sweet connection with each other.

I agaree, Teri313!  One would think that with all his "travels," he would have tried foods in various countries.  But wait!  He's of the clan that "knows" everything American is best and we don't need no steenkin' Russian desserts.  Jovi boy has been spoiled too much for too long.  It will take a woman like Yara to retrain him.

I wonder if Gwen saw a bit of herself in Yara.  Originally, Gwen seemed to be "my way or the highway," and went ahead and did things her way.  Yara's calm "unacceptance" might have made Gwen think about the criticisms SHE (bossy!)has heard all her life and decided to try a different approach.  Now Gwen has an appreciative audience--Yara and us.

• Love 6

A few things made me cringe this episode.

1. I can't believe Natalie married that jerk Mike! There are easier ways to have a baby, honey!

2. The shit coming out of Andrew and his family’s mouth and the fact that he didn’t tell them about the nasty messages he sent Amira. You caused the breakup, asshole, and thank god!!! Saved Amira years of therapy.

3. I was surprised they showed a whole hour of the months leading up to Yara and Jovi having the baby. I mean, TLC, you could have saved that for Happily Ever After?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Hotel Snarker said:

1. I can't believe Natalie married that jerk Mike! There are easier ways to have a baby, honey!

2. The shit coming out of Andrew and his family’s mouth and the fact that he didn’t tell them about the nasty messages he sent Amira. You caused the breakup, asshole, and thank god!!! Saved Amira years of therapy.

3. I was surprised they showed a whole hour of the months leading up to Yara and Jovi having the baby. I mean, TLC, you could have saved that for Happily Ever After?

For me I was like:

1.  I can't believe Mike married that psychotic emotionally abusive woman!  If you want that, you could easily get that in Sequim!  No need to bring someone from Ukraine.

2.  I just don't give a shit about yet ANOTHER couple that never meets up.  And I especially don't give a shit about Andrew and his gross family.  I don't even give a shit about Amira and her irritating mopey voice!  But panic attacks are horrible, so I feel for her there.

3.  Agreed! I was distracted during the episode and looked up and was like, WTF she's in labor now?!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Hotel Snarker said:

I thought the same thing at first, but then I figured that they did that because the Tell All is coming up and she has already had the baby, so they gave us a bonus Jovi and Yara episode to catch us up so they can talk about it.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Stephanie may not see Harris’s kids and baby momma as a bad thing. She controls with her money. He needs money to support his family. He’s less likely to drop the act of “loving” her since he knows it would stop the money. Ryan, as a younger childless person, didn’t need her badly enough. Hopefully she knows somewhere deep down it’s all fake but maybe she is just lonely and desperate enough to keep it going. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, toomuchtv said:

Stephanie may not see Harris’s kids and baby momma as a bad thing. She controls with her money. He needs money to support his family. He’s less likely to drop the act of “loving” her since he knows it would stop the money. Ryan, as a younger childless person, didn’t need her badly enough. Hopefully she knows somewhere deep down it’s all fake but maybe she is just lonely and desperate enough to keep it going. 

Stephanie is one of those people that gets off on whipping around her big money to make people do things.  Then when the person receiving the money from her doesn't want her or steps out of line, she throws out the "you're just using me for money" or "where would you be without my money" comments.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, toomuchtv said:

Ryan, as a younger childless person, didn’t need her badly enough. 

Might have been interesting to be a fly on the wall when Ryan goes to "work" after he and Stephanie broke up - just to find that he no longer has a job (since she was paying his boss to keep him employed).  He needed her (financially) more than he thought he did.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Might have been interesting to be a fly on the wall when Ryan goes to "work" after he and Stephanie broke up - just to find that he no longer has a job (since she was paying his boss to keep him employed).  He needed her (financially) more than he thought he did.

I still think that Ryan and his boss were in this together. Ryan did have a job there and he split Stephanie’s money with his boss.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

In the preview for the tell all, Andrew 

Spoiler

refuses to stay and participate because Amira is not physically on the stage. You can hear the producer telling him each person will have an equal opportunity to talk and tell their side. And he says "Nah dude, this is not equal. Equal is both of us here." And Amira is on camera saying she only agreed to participate if she didn't have to see or talk with Andrew (she is in a different location, I guess France...Again, this is such BS, TLC should make it part of the deal they don't get $$$ if they don't complete ALL the episodes, including the tell all. 

and he looks extra douchey (that is no spoiler for anyone lol)

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, Stuckathome said:

In the preview for the tell all, Andrew 

Hide contents

refuses to stay and participate because Amira is not physically on the stage. You can hear the producer telling him each person will have an equal opportunity to talk and tell their side. And he says "Nah dude, this is not equal. Equal is both of us here." And Amira is on camera saying she only agreed to participate if she didn't have to see or talk with Andrew (she is in a different location, I guess France...Again, this is such BS, TLC should make it part of the deal they don't get $$$ if they don't complete ALL the episodes, including the tell all. 

and he looks extra douchey (that is no spoiler for anyone lol)

Ridiculous.

Spoiler

He had to know beforehand that she couldn’t be there in person. I don’t think that she could have gotten a Tell All visa.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Gobi said:

Ridiculous.

Hide contents

He had to know beforehand that she couldn’t be there in person. I don’t think that she could have gotten a Tell All visa.

I agree, what were they going to do? 

Spoiler

Fly her over to be on the same stage?  She made it very clear she did NOT want to be sitting near him.  He wanted another chance to manipulate, demean and change the story.  Again.

• Love 10
(edited)
17 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Well, obviously he expected TLC to fly her to Serbia for 14 days to quarantine and then send her to Mexico so she could cross the border in order to be at the studio.

Well.....duh!!  Then he could complain that she had done nothing on her part.

16 hours ago, Stuckathome said:

Hasn't he ever watched this show? I mean, a lot of the fiances phone it in for the tell all due to visa issues, like Michael or Aladin, etc

Because he has a bunch of ass licking women in his life who are convincing him he is a Greek god who can do no wrong and is always right, and why do none of those gold digging green card seeking women not appreciate him, dammit??

I think (and this is full on speculation) he was going to stand up and hover over her and intimidate her.  He is a future abuser.  He, his weird mom and hosebeast sister*, all made me uncomfortable.

*= I don't like to name call another woman but she really IS a hosebeast.  So his is mom.  You don't get to be angry at a woman for her choices when your SON was a jerky and downright MEAN person to her.  SHE sat in detention while your son jetskied around (I can just hear her "Well he PAID for it) and dined very well at night.  Then she went AGAIN to Serbia!!!  Alone!  For another fourteen days.  I don't think Serbia was as war torn as it was portrayed, maybe it was, but man that is ONE MONTH of being alone.  And he says "She did nothing."

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 12

I agree that Jovi should have been more appreciative of Yara's cake, although with her bluntness, I'm sure she would have stated her opinion of his cooking without holding back.  However, I find Yara's stereotyping of Americans to be off-putting.  She's already called us "stupid," although in the guise of discussing stereotypes, and now she says that we all buy our birthday cakes.  Looking forward to other little gems she throws out there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 4/6/2021 at 2:33 AM, loki310 said:

Dying at how all of the curly haired people clocked this. I used it as a teachable moment with my husband who has straight hair about our toddler daughter who has curly hair - “See? That’s why you never brush her hair.” 

My hair is pin straight, and even I screamed when ol' Nat started brushing her curls. The horror!!

• Love 2
On 4/8/2021 at 12:44 PM, Stuckathome said:

Hasn't he ever watched this show? I mean, a lot of the fiances phone it in for the tell all due to visa issues, like Michael or Aladin, etc

He knows, he just also knows that he cannot manipulate and gaslight Amira as effectively if she isn't a captive.  So, its time for him to make up some BS excuse because he hasn't had the right amount of time to manipulate, bully and gaslight everyone else into submission.  I don't know why he is being weird though, no one ever lets Shawn ask much of anything and he has plenty of competition for worst person of the season.  

• Love 1
On 4/9/2021 at 9:35 PM, SemiCharmedLife said:

However, I find Yara's stereotyping of Americans to be off-putting.  She's already called us "stupid,"

Not "us," but (probably) Jovi's friends...they've demonstrated some pretty good stupidity.

• Love 2
On 4/5/2021 at 5:30 AM, IllLitShips said:

I agree with your comment about how his behavior is from being raised only by women and coddled. They're so confident and have nothing to offer,  but their moms have told them how great they are their entire lives.

Unfortunately I married one that was still living with his parents when he was 31 years old! I was just 20 and an idiot who knew nothing. 40+ years later, he is still a mama's boy, I don't think they every can change. Andrew thinks he is such a catch, as does his Mother, and he will never change his attitude about that either!

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, mittsigirl said:

Unfortunately I married one that was still living with his parents when he was 31 years old! I was just 20 and an idiot who knew nothing. 40+ years later, he is still a mama's boy, I don't think they every can change. Andrew thinks he is such a catch, as does his Mother, and he will never change his attitude about that either!

Don't think for a second that he didn't know that and take advantage of it.  

When I was in my late teens, early 20's I dated a 34 year old guy who lived with his mom.  Or as he liked to say his "mom lived with him"

It takes a lot less to impress a 20 year old who is just starting out in the world than it does to impress a woman his own age.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, mittsigirl said:

Don't feel too bad, I married,  at age 29, a guy that lived at home until he was 32.  You were 20, I was 27 when I met him.  Should have known better.  In all fairness he ws not a mama's boy, he was a Peter Pan who never wanted to grow up.  Eternally 15 years old.  That's okay, he is someone else's problem now.

• Love 3
On 4/6/2021 at 8:49 PM, FurBabyMama said:

I felt so bad for Yara when she did all that work making jovi the birthday cake just for him to say he didn’t like it. My family is Russian and Ukrainian, those cakes take a lot of effort to make, so much so that we never make them and just buy it ready made. But they’re delicious, though very different from American cakes. I don’t know how hers came out, but damnit, even if you don’t like it, you smile and tell your pregnant wife who you haven’t seen in months how amazing it is. 

My Mother was Ukrainian, my Father Polish.  My Mother made everything from scratch.  Honey cake, jelly donuts, soups, perogies, stuffed cabbage, etc.  lots of work.  The other day I made borscht with fresh beets.  Delicious.  My husband and kids wouldn’t eat it.  It’s the healthiest thing.  Things were tough in those days.  They made everything they had from the ground.  Potato soup is next on my list.  I’ll have to make macaroni for them.

• Love 8