Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E07: Birthday Breakdown

suomi
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

This article about Kody and the gym includes pictures of him that are burned in my brain. I keep seeing a kindergarten kid, dropped off from the bus, on his way down the sidewalk, to his house. Obviously he knows the paparazzi are looking at him and starts a performance. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7032467/Title-goes-here.html

The 50-year-old sported his trademark 'man bun,' and did a little dance in the parking lot while stretching and balancing on one foot 

Geez. What a boob he is. I am willing to bet he is one of those assholes that grunts and screams the whole time he works out. Ya know, because he is an alpha male and works out harder than anyone else.

• LOL 11
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I still can't get it through my head why he could not enjoy meeting up with Janelle and "her" kids every few days on her patio paradise.

Because Robyn said no.  No discussion. No argument.  If the Queen speaks, the serf must obey.

• Love 19

8 minutes ago, TipseyGirl said:

Geez. What a boob he is. I am willing to bet he is one of those assholes that grunts and screams the whole time he works out. Ya know, because he is an alpha male and works out harder than anyone else.

You must've missed the extended opening montage of this last episode...showing Kody huffing and grunting while doing a side plank, and moaning and panting while doing sit-ups with his feet hooked under Christine's bed.  I still haven't completely recovered.

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 20
  • Love 3
Just now, tinderbox said:

We never hear about Patton, Paeton, Paton...I don't actually know his name.  He's one of Christine's children.  Anyone know what has become of him?

He became a giant and currently lives on top of a beanstalk.

Actually - I think he's in the military, and Gwen has recently accused him of being a racist. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, the viewers don’t have the full picture of why plural marriage is so important to Mormons of his sect and why to them marriage is eternal.  What does eternity hold for divorced women who enter the celestial kingdom without a husband OR what does eternity offer a man with only one wife?

Christine's mother Annie who left the "faith" by divorcing her husband said she thought at the time she was going to hell for it.   I don't know if she still feels that way, but I doubt it.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Teri313 said:

I agree. And then to hold Meri's reaction against her, even to this day it seems. I'm not a Meri fan, but I do feel like she was just shocked and didn't know how to respond in that 30 seconds after being told. Then she made Meri grovel and apologize for it when they were on vacation (or wherever they were - sitting outside on a deck or something). 

Meri & Kody were both shocked & dumbfounded, yet Christine, Janelle & Robyn seemed unsurprised and said they were happy for Mariah.  I wonder if Mariah told her "other moms" or if they or their children have gaydar and told their moms.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

We did not see Kody driving by the house.  And I am going to bet that if he HAD done a drive-by, it darn sure would've aired.  Is he that much of an asshole?  Yes.  Yes, he is.  Without a doubt.

Kootie blames Garrison & Gabe for choosing to go to work and school instead of staying home so they can remain virus-free in case their sperm donor ever stops by.  Yes, Kootie is that much of an asshole.

• Love 17

Kody’s criticism of the young men seemed aimed at not using proper covid precautions to me. More so with socializing and not working.   Most schools were closed or by remote.  I hope they have been spared. 

9 hours ago, Teri313 said:

I agree. And then to hold Meri's reaction against her, even to this day it seems. I'm not a Meri fan, but I do feel like she was just shocked and didn't know how to respond in that 30 seconds after being told. Then she made Meri grovel and apologize for it when they were on vacation (or wherever they were - sitting outside on a deck or something). Did she flunk out of college? I don't pay much attention to her, but that would be funny. Isn't she the one who wanted to be a doctor?

Meri needs to be in control of all aspects of her life.  She had Mariah's future preordained and mapped out.  She would become My Daughter The Doctor and embrace polygamy and provide Meri with lots of grandchildren.  I'm pretty sure that Meri would have instilled her expectations in Mariah from a young age. 

Most kids want to please their parents and Mariah may have gone along to attempt fulfill Meri's dreams for her.  When Mariah attended the liberal college Meri advocated so strongly for, she probably had an awakening and came to the realization that the set course of her life isn't what she needed for herself.  This is what may be at the root of Mariah's apparent hostility to Meri when she finally did express herself.  Did Meri miss some clues along the way?  Were there probing mother/daughter conversations about boys and dating?  Were there casual conversations generated by Meri regarding gay people within their sphere or public figures and Meri's attitude of acceptance or rejection?

Meri had one child and was so hell-bent on molding her into the person Meri wanted her to be, she didn't think to look deep into Mariah's psyche and what she really wanted for herself.  It did seem cruel of Mariah to not confide in her parents before coming out publicly the way she did, and I have to wonder if it was Mariah's clumsy way of saying, "here I am, this is me, and you don't even know me and who I am, because you didn't take the time and effort.

• Love 10

I’ve always thought that Mariah announced it to Meri and Kody that way because she was really nervous and worried about their reaction, and thought they might temper their reaction if it was being filmed. I can’t blame her for that, it must have been hard for her. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Some sort of mix - a little chi and a bunch of other stuff - with allergies. Someone needs to clean the tear tracks and give that dog a daily Zyrtec.

In all fairness, maybe it's not allergies.

I know I'd have tear streaks down my face if I had to be anywhere near Mariah and it wouldn't be from allergies.  

Ugh, I loathe Mariah and her girlfriend.  I hope they stay in Utah with no camera coverage.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Twopper said:

Christine's mother Annie who left the "faith" by divorcing her husband said she thought at the time she was going to hell for it.   I don't know if she still feels that way, but I doubt it.

Christine's mom fascinates me. What a life she's had. Her dad was Floren LeBaron, Ervil's brother. So she had some Mormon "pedigree", too. Then her mom left, went to Utah, married Rulon Allred's brother Owen. Annie married one of Owen's sons, her stepbrother Rex. 

These poor women are so deeply entrenched in the teachings, it amazes me when they break free. 

Edited by Art Of Noiz
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12

Watching the other wives answer questions about Kody and Meri's marriage is awkward partly because you know they're fully aware that those two are 100% separated, not just going through some fights or whatever. They've been "praying for them to work it out" for what, like 5 years? Are they going to pray for another 10?

Edited by ReadMeLattice
  • Love 14
On 3/30/2021 at 1:53 PM, TipseyGirl said:

Do you remember the sweatbands he used to wear to emphasize how much he was Into Fitness? And his bragging about his "washboard abs" to Maddie?!

AAHHH!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/sister-wives-robyn-brown-prays-for-meri-kody-brown-to-make-it-work/

So Robyn is praying for Kody and Meri to work it out? Give me a break!!!!

You think a woman who divorced her first husband, and had her children adopted by another man, would understand that some relationships are no longer healthy, and have run their course.

And after doing all that, Robyn seems to pay Meri dust! Rarely calls and checks up on her during a pandemic! Meri herself stated she doesn't get calls from any of the wives or Kody. That's ice cold!

• Love 15

Apparently no one has ever explained to Christine that if you're your husband's only wife, you're always the Queen Bee.  She is so over the "lifestyle."  

I'm sad Kody wouldn't go visit Janelle's son on the porch for his birthday.  Christine and her kids did it.  Father of the year there.  🙄

I think Robyn and Janelle are the only wives who want to actively live the lifestyle.  Janelle is probably happy with her kids and only to be bothered by Kody occasionally, and of course Robyn is the favored wife.  

• Love 7
On 3/30/2021 at 2:26 PM, NoWhammies said:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/sister-wives-gwendlyn-brown-calls-paedon-brown-racist-and-an-idiot.html/ Just the first Google source I found. It's been several other places as well. 

Gwyn calls her brother a racist but she tweets this: People ask me to DJ on long car trips because my music taste is impeccable but I have a confession I actually just look up playlists like “songs that excite the white folk”

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

And after doing all that, Robyn seems to pay Meri dust! Rarely calls and checks up on her during a pandemic! Meri herself stated she doesn't get calls from any of the wives or Kody. That's ice cold!

It is cold, but did Meri call them?

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

It is cold, but did Meri call them?

Exactly.  Reap/Sow.  I'm sure there have been times when Meri could have pitched in and lent a hand when the other wives may have been going through critical times.  When Truely was recuperating at home after her near fatal incident, would Meri have been at the door offering to take the other kids while Christine gave time and attention to Truely, or even dropped off a few meals to relieve Christine.  I get the distinct feeling that with this group, it's every woman for herself.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, steff13 said:

She is so over the "lifestyle."

Brown and his four wives have stated they participated in the show to make the public more aware of polygamist families and to combat societal prejudices. (wikipedia)

Got to hand it to Kody. He accomplished his objective to bring awareness to polygamist families. Add to his list of failures: combatting societal prejudices. 

Clearly Kody Brown is not capable of managing and supporting a successful and healthy plural marriage.  This show has done nothing but confirm my belief that polygamy breeds inequality, anxiety, depression, patriarchy, faith lip service,  insecurity, emotional and financial abuse, fallacy of sister-wives,  . . . .

• Love 21
On 3/30/2021 at 12:29 PM, Sandy W said:

I think they have that covered, they have something called marriage by proxy or some other similar term, where they "marry" complete strangers that have passed on...without consent or agreement.

On 3/30/2021 at 12:47 PM, JenMcSnark said:

Technically, they are "notified" of the ceremony in the afterlife and given a chance to accept it or reject it. 

You have got to be f*ing kidding me!!

On 3/29/2021 at 1:03 PM, NotinKansasanymore said:

So Mariah and Audrey only quarantined for one week with Meri, than all three went to the BnB, and Meri drove back to Flagstaff with her 75 year old mother? Not sure of the logic there.

Don't forget that they were all in very close contact with Meri's nephew while they were there...

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

It is a 5-hr drive from Flag to Parowan, so I doubt Meri unpacked her SUV full of M&A's stuff, packed up Bonnie & her stuff and drove straight home the same day.  All four woman and Connor probably spent at least one night in the dusty old BnB spreading droplets.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

They feed on their haters.  It’s grist for their mill.  I’d be willing to bet most folks hate-watch.  Generational Mormon polygamy (looking at you, Christine) is a throwback to the time when polygamists were rounded up and arrested, lots of them moved their families away from Utah and into Canada or Mexico where they would be less likely to get flak from the gubment.

When Sister Wives aired their first show in 2010, legalizing same-sex marriage in all 50 states was still 5 years away.  Many states had legalized it, but federal intervention was still a question.  I think the network thought it was a great idea to titillate the public’s thoughts on traditional marriage, since it was a political hotbed..and the prospect of legalizing other forms, if same-sex marriage became acceptable.  They were successful, since here we are 11 years later, discussing the latest episode...yet, our long suffering  Brown family is still on the outs.  Lots of grist, there.

I can’t get on board with their religious beliefs, personally, but I feel the same way for just about every organized and “acceptable” religion out there, including Scientology.  Just because the government says it’s ok, doesn’t mean it’s not a mindless cult.  I thank my lucky stars that my parent’s didn’t insist on indoctrinating me into Mormonism, the mainstream kind or the FLDS offshoots, of which there are MANY. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_denominations_in_the_Latter_Day_Saint_movement#Mormon_fundamentalist

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I'm still annoyed by Robyn's imitating her sister wives in a old-lady voice, whining about retirement to contrast how young and vibrant she is.  She claims that she is comfortable with being 11 years younger than Kody, but he teases her about having been an infant when he was older.  Robyn is only 6 years younger than Christine and actually only 9 years younger than Kody.  She's not a different generation. And, I doubt that any of them have really planned for retirement.  Maybe that's how they deflect from Kody's panhandling on Robyn's behalf.  

Divine justice will be when one of Robyn's daughters is assigned to be the 5th wife of an old polygamist church leader.  "Sweet 16 & never been kissed" may make the daughter especially attractive.  Kody wouldn't dare try to make his Neanderthal stay-away face. 

• Love 17

I think Robyn is actually jealous that the other wives are going to be empty nesters soon and that none of them are dealing on a daily basis with little kids. 
The other wives have much more freedom than she does and I think it pisses her off.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Shelbie said:

I think Robyn is actually jealous that the other wives are going to be empty nesters soon and that none of them are dealing on a daily basis with little kids. 
The other wives have much more freedom than she does and I think it pisses her off.

Poor baby.  Robo's the one who decided to have two anchor babies with that man who already had too damn many neglected kids.

She's very jealous, especially since none of her kids have moved out or done anything worthwhile.  She can't even be bothered to break Areola's pacifier habit.  Kootie was griping only a year or so ago about A's 'blowout diapers.'  Ha Ha!

• Love 12
46 minutes ago, Shelbie said:

Robyn is actually jealous

She could also be jealous because no one is "helping" her. In the beginning, when she first landed in the fambly, she repeatedly talked about the lifestyle and how she could fit in and assist. Now that RobynSpongeBob SquarePants has obtained her massive pineapple house at 124 Grifter Street, the wives have nothing to do with each other but filming. And she's stuck with the kids, including the balding one, with no nanny.   

Speaking of nanny, rumors I read include that she had her sister, a niece and possibly a friend help her in the past and Kody was interested in two of them as #5.

Man I wish someone would write a book on the real story. If Kitty Kelly can take on the Royal Family, Frank Sinatra, and Oprah surely someone out there is taking copious notes. Proceeds could go to helping deprogram and assimilate those who have gotten out of "the lifestyle". If I was Robyns ex, I'd be researching ghost writers.

• Love 10
On 3/30/2021 at 1:10 PM, MakingBacon said:

Robin’s kids just looked uncomfortable when Christine end her kids came by to visit. I wonder if, even pre-pandemic, Robin kept them separate more often than not. Her kids don’t seem to be close to Kody’s other kids who do seem close. 

I have just binge-watched the first 7 or 8 seasons.  It is really eye-opening to watch the episodes so close together.   In a flashback to one of the first episodes, they have Savanah who is probably around 5 at the time--I rilly hate this spelling---on the couch for a question about what she thinks of Robyn's family joining them and she is so excited that Breanna is her age ---they are 9 mos apart and would not be in the same grade at school----but there is never any indication that they are close or even spend time together unless it is with everyone else.   I feel sorry for Savanah as she seems a bit out of place in this large mob.

Robyn's son Dayton seems a misfit, too.  Garrison and Paedon are sort of twins, being born 5 mos apart in 1998.  Dayton is 15 mos younger than Paedon and then there is about a 21 month gap between Dayton and  the next set of  "twins" (Gwen and Gabe) who were born within days of each other.  So poor Dayton who has Asperger's syndrome and who seems a tad fluffy is smack dab in the middle of 3 boys who are always wrestling or fighting with each other.   I read somewhere that he was bullied and fled back to live with his dad or grands for a short time in Montana, but I am not sure if that happened or for how long he was gone. 

Robyn said that Auroraborealis and Breanna were closely bonded which explains why Savanah was unable to become besties with Breanna.  Aurora and Ysabel matched up, but they probably weren't all that close despite being at the same  grade level. 

There was also a retrospective about Robyn's family joining, and Gwendolyn who was maybe 14 at the time said she was okay with it ---well, she couldn't exactly say otherwise---but that they don't need anybody else to join them.  

1 hour ago, Shelbie said:

'Janelle is the next empty nester, but I think Savanah has 2 more years of school.  Also Janelle doesn't seem to mind having adult children living with her, but she definitely has a lot of freedom to go visit Maddie.   Truely is only 18 mos older than Solomon so he will probably be a junior in high school when she leaves for college and the younger sister would probably be starting middle school then,  Her older three may still be at home, too.   Christine seems to like for her kids to leave the nest when they graduate, and I think Ysabel graduates next year which will leave Christine with one child, but that is still a lot freer than Robyn.  

4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Not sure who on these threads listens to the Surviving Sister Wives podcast, but the hosts brought up a great point regarding this last episode -

Me, but I haven't had time to hear this last one.

22 hours ago, ReadMeLattice said:

Watching the other wives answer questions about Kody and Meri's marriage is awkward partly because you know they're fully aware that those two are 100% separated, not just going through some fights or whatever. They've been "praying for them to work it out" for what, like 5 years? Are they going to pray for another 10?

I think Meri and Kody have had issues at least from the time Janelle came into the family, but having Mariah soothed them until Robyn.  It has been mentioned that Janelle and Kody initially planned to marry on Meri's birthday which is Jan 16th, but this was only stopped because Kody's mom intervened and they married the day after Meri's birthday on Jan 17 which is also Kody's birthday if wikipedia has the dates correct.  There are several episodes which include birthday parties for Kody, but none that I recall mention it is also Janelle and Kody's anniversary.   Meri and Kody can't go far away for her birthday without messing with the family celebration for Kody's birthday and  his anniversary with Janelle.   This just seems really cruel to Meri.  This plus the fact the Janelle used to be Meri's SIL are the reasons I absolutely loathe Janelle.  Maybe I should blame Kody more for it, but I just see Janelle setting the date.  I am surprised Robyn didn't pick a date like Christine or Janelle's birthday, but I think she was smarter than that.  Also her "wedding" was the day after Logan's birthday, but with a family that large it is hard to avoid  picking a date that isn't near somebody's birthday or anniversary.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Shelbie said:

1 hour ago, itsadryheat said:

She could also be jealous because no one is "helping" her.

BINGO.  Those wives who have raised all their kids and now have nothing to do but stare forlornly out the window, waiting for their offspring to return home for a visit?  Those are precisely the women that are supposed to now be at Robyn's beck and call to help her with her adorable young un's, the apples of their daddy's eye, the precious spawn that bonded the entire fam'ly together - those kids can't watch themselves!  It takes a village of sister-wives with nothing better to occupy those long, empty hours and that's EXACTLY what Robyn thought she was getting when she married into this traveling circus - a posse of built-in babysitters.  She must be ticked off that a small portion of her multi-level plan is not working out exactly as she intended.

• Love 18

I was rewatching the Kody/Meri scene from the last episode, and picked up on a few things.

Did you all catch when Kody knelt down next to Meri, to facetime with Robyn, the pissed look on Robyn's face?

And then at one point, Kody looks at the phone and asks Robyn: "I still don't have to socially distance myself from Meri, do I?"

If there is any question on who is running this nonsensical Brown family social distancing, Kody having to ask Robyn that, is all the proof you need, that Robyn is running the show. 

Also on the way over, while Kody was driving, he mentioned that he got a message from Meri that she needed to talk to him, so he was heading over there. So was Kody's plan to continue to stay away and not even visit Mariah, but when he got Meri's message, he decided just to go over there? So if Meri hadn't text, how long would father of the year there, gone without even calling or coming over to check on his own daughter?

• Love 17
(edited)
3 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

She could also be jealous because no one is "helping" her. In the beginning, when she first landed in the fambly, she repeatedly talked about the lifestyle and how she could fit in and assist. 

Robyn probably expected Christine to cook & raise her kids and Janelle to bring home the bacon while Robo & Kootie went on an endless honeymoon of road trips, Meri's former job.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 4
  • Love 14
53 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Robyn probably expected Christine to cook & raise her kids and Janelle to bring home the bacon while Robo & Kootie went on an endless honeymoon of road trips,

Hey, somebody has to pay those VS bills.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)

I still can't imagine what the three pans of beige slop were for Garrison's birthday.  Did he request his favorite meal?  Did each child get his or her own pan?  Janelle said that Garrison has probably only celebrated two birthdays in his lifetime without the entire family.  Those would have been when she left the family.

In contrast, Robyn's daughter had a full dinner served from take-out containers.  They each seemed to have their own loaf of Italian bread.  Robyn dared to enter a restaurant or imposed her strict social-distancing on an unsuspecting delivery driver.  

And, Mariah, who missed all her siblings so much that she is transferring schools and moving to Utah, hauled out of town within a week - without completing her quarantine and just a week or two before the birthday month celebrations.

Edited by Grifter Lives
  • Love 11

From the Wayback Machine, 2015, 

"The one thing I've found in this family, is that each mother has been able to crisscross to another mother's child, and be the one to reach that child," Brown has said. "It seems like we're meeting the needs of our children better than if we were monogamous."

Sure, Jan.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I found their wedding date as January 20, 1993.

I got Jan 17 from Wikipedia which can be incorrect.   I have ordered the book --used-- and will see what date it gives.  And it was mentioned that they married the day after Meri's birthday which is given in the 2 places I checked as Jan 16 and Kody as Jan 17. 

4 hours ago, deirdra said:

Robyn probably expected Christine to cook & raise her kids and Janelle to bring home the bacon while Robo & Kootie went on an endless honeymoon of road trips, Meri's former job.

I absolutely believe this!  Her 11-day honeymoon was at least 3-4 times longer than the other wives.  Robo thought she should have first wive's perks as soon as she 'married' Kootie.  Why does Meri still even talk to that evil witch?  It's baffling to me.  

• Love 13
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

BINGO.  Those wives who have raised all their kids and now have nothing to do but stare forlornly out the window, waiting for their offspring to return home for a visit?  Those are precisely the women that are supposed to now be at Robyn's beck and call to help her with her adorable young un's, the apples of their daddy's eye, the precious spawn that bonded the entire fam'ly together - those kids can't watch themselves!  It takes a village of sister-wives with nothing better to occupy those long, empty hours and that's EXACTLY what Robyn thought she was getting when she married into this traveling circus - a posse of built-in babysitters.  She must be ticked off that a small portion of her multi-level plan is not working out exactly as she intended.

And Robyn was not so subtly reminding everyone that she is still yOUng and doing yOUng things like raising children like a yOUng woman - not Old with an empty nest. And just in case Kody forgot, she’s 11 years yOUnger than him and still vital and yOUng and relevant for yEArs. She’s a walking fountain of yOUth. 

• LOL 20
15 hours ago, Kellyee said:

I drank heavily and forced myself to watch the second half of the episode. Kody thinking he's an alpha male because the dog pees on him when he visits Meri is hysterical. I'm pretty sure Meri trained the dog to pee on Kody so mark him as hers so Robyn's smells it when he goes home. 

And Robyn claiming that Kody has PTSD from the catfishing incident is just ridiculous, and offensive to real PTSD sufferers  everywhere. I wish someone would just acknowledge that Meri was looking for another man to replace Kody because their marriage sucks and he divorced her anyway, and that it's okay to do that given that Kody has no problem being with 3 other women. 

And if Kody can sit in a lawn chair in Meri's driveway, why can't he do that at Janelle's house too??? Also, if Robyn's family and Christine's family are both quarantining and Kody is going back and forth, there is no reason why Truely, Ariella, and Solomon can't play together. Except for Robyn's controllingness and paranoia. Also, Kody's nasty comments about teenagers that were totally meant to be directed at Gabe and Garrison, who are his own kids. I hate these people.

To me, it seemed like Kody was playing us with that schtick about being an alpha male. He was instigating for sure. He’s a toddler. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5