Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

Formula 1: Drive To Survive

Drivers, managers, and team owners live life in the fast lane - both on and off the track - during each cutthroat season of Formula 1 racing.

I'm not into racing of any kind, but I heard that this show was good so I decided to give it a try. Despite knowing absolutely nothing about Formula 1 beforehand, I found this show interesting. I assumed that since there were 10 teams and 10 episodes, each episode would focus on a different team (which was sadly not the case). A lot of reality shows feel very padded with filler but this is one of the few where I wish they'd gone into more depth about the different teams and drivers.

I just started S3 today so it's been interesting to see how they dealt with COVID during the 2020 season. In many sports, athletes are expected to watch what they say so I had to laugh when a reporter asked Lewis Hamilton about racing amid COVID and he flat out said he couldn't believe that they were doing it (especially after we saw another team coaching one of their drivers about how to respond to COVID questions). I know that he has a much more secure position in the F1 world so he probably doesn't give a flying fuck about keeping his mouth shut, but it was still nice to hear someone being blunt about something that was an international concern instead of just parroting what the company wanted him to say about whatever safety "precautions" the industry was using.

I was horrified at Romain Grosjean's fiery crash, but I knew that they wouldn't keep showing the footage if he had actually died so I kept waiting for the show to stop milking the moment and let us see him escape. It's amazing that his car broke apart like that but he was able to walk away from the wreck and into the ambulance. I loved that the team manager asked someone to find out the names of the people in the safety car.

I was so glad to see that Romain was okay so soon after the crash. The interview that he and his wife did was very sweet because it was obvious how much they were still shaken up but trying to stay positive. I laughed so hard when she rolled her eyes at him at the very end.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was horrified at Romain Grosjean's fiery crash, but I knew that they wouldn't keep showing the footage if he had actually died so I kept waiting for the show to stop milking the moment and let us see him escape.

During the actual race the crash was in the background of the shot and they didn't show any replays of the crash until Romain was safely out of the car and they knew that he was OK-ish. Such a noticable change from 10-20 years ago when they would've just kept the cameras rolling.
The medical car crew, especially the FIA medic, should've gotten the man of the race trophy.

Edited by Aulty
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked that the writer pointed out that "the 2021 grid features four sons of former professional racing drivers, and three sons of billionaires

If the writer thinks thats bad they should take a look a equestrian sports.

Hamilton's dad Anthony is as much a superstar as his son. I love how lovingly Lewis talks about him.

Edited by Aulty