Type keyword(s) to search

Formula 1: Drive To Survive: Seasons 1-5

• Start Topic

I'm not into racing of any kind, but I heard that this show was good so I decided to give it a try. Despite knowing absolutely nothing about Formula 1 beforehand, I found this show interesting. I assumed that since there were 10 teams and 10 episodes, each episode would focus on a different team (which was sadly not the case). A lot of reality shows feel very padded with filler but this is one of the few where I wish they'd gone into more depth about the different teams and drivers.

I just started S3 today so it's been interesting to see how they dealt with COVID during the 2020 season. In many sports, athletes are expected to watch what they say so I had to laugh when a reporter asked Lewis Hamilton about racing amid COVID and he flat out said he couldn't believe that they were doing it (especially after we saw another team coaching one of their drivers about how to respond to COVID questions). I know that he has a much more secure position in the F1 world so he probably doesn't give a flying fuck about keeping his mouth shut, but it was still nice to hear someone being blunt about something that was an international concern instead of just parroting what the company wanted him to say about whatever safety "precautions" the industry was using.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I was horrified at Romain Grosjean's fiery crash, but I knew that they wouldn't keep showing the footage if he had actually died so I kept waiting for the show to stop milking the moment and let us see him escape. It's amazing that his car broke apart like that but he was able to walk away from the wreck and into the ambulance. I loved that the team manager asked someone to find out the names of the people in the safety car.

I was so glad to see that Romain was okay so soon after the crash. The interview that he and his wife did was very sweet because it was obvious how much they were still shaken up but trying to stay positive. I laughed so hard when she rolled her eyes at him at the very end.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was horrified at Romain Grosjean's fiery crash, but I knew that they wouldn't keep showing the footage if he had actually died so I kept waiting for the show to stop milking the moment and let us see him escape.

During the actual race the crash was in the background of the shot and they didn't show any replays of the crash until Romain was safely out of the car and they knew that he was OK-ish. Such a noticable change from 10-20 years ago when they would've just kept the cameras rolling.
The medical car crew, especially the FIA medic, should've gotten the man of the race trophy.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked that the writer pointed out that "the 2021 grid features four sons of former professional racing drivers, and three sons of billionaires

If the writer thinks thats bad they should take a look a equestrian sports.

Hamilton's dad Anthony is as much a superstar as his son. I love how lovingly Lewis talks about him.

Edited by Aulty

Recently finished binge watching all three seasons and I cannot wait for season four. There will be a season four right?!

Although I am a huge Lewis Hamilton fan I really appreciate that the show focuses on multiple teams and drivers. The Mercedes team was not even one of the main storylines in S1. All of the behind the scenes shenanigans and drama amongst the teams, drivers and Team Principals is intriguing. And the money involved in this sport is mind boggling!

At times watching this show makes me feel old. I swear I’m old enough to be the mother of half the drivers! LOL

• Love 3
4 hours ago, woodstock said:

All of the behind the scenes shenanigans and drama amongst the teams, drivers and Team Principals is intriguing.

The other thing that I think really makes this series work is the in-car video and audio.  Instead of the bird's eye view that would have been the best you could have gotten a few years ago now you're a fly on the wall.  You get a sense of what is happening in real time and also how friggin' fast these cars are going!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, woodstock said:

Recently finished binge watching all three seasons and I cannot wait for season four. There will be a season four right?!

I don't think you have reason to worry. The show is really popular and is great marketing for F1. It is also easily the sexist "season inside" show in all of sports.

9 hours ago, woodstock said:

All of the behind the scenes shenanigans and drama amongst the teams, drivers and Team Principals is intriguing.

Red Bull's Christian Horner is like Littlefinger from Game of Thrones. Very civil to everyone, but you can tell he's always looking to stick it to another team. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, xaxat said:

Red Bull's Christian Horner is like Littlefinger from Game of Thrones. Very civil to everyone, but you can tell he's always looking to stick it to another team. 

YES! That’s a great comparison.

• Love 2

I don't know if any of you watch the races or just the show, but the way the 2021 F1 season is unfolding, the next season of Drive To Survive will be a belter.

• Love 5

From the New York Times.

‘Drive to Survive’ on Netflix Has Ignited Formula 1

During the first season, the two most powerful teams, Mercedes and Ferrari, refused to participate. Then they saw how popular it was.

A year or two before DTS, Amazon had a similar show, Grand Prix Driver. I think it was supposed to be a full season inside with McLaren. However, from the start of pre-season testing, it was clear that the season was going to be a disaster and the show only aired four episodes. No action from the actual season.

However, the concept and production values feel similar to DTS, so I wonder GPD was the genesis for DTS.

• Love 3
On 7/18/2021 at 10:47 AM, Aulty said:

I don't know if any of you watch the races or just the show, but the way the 2021 F1 season is unfolding, the next season of Drive To Survive will be a belter.

I can’t wait to see the episode(s) for this year’s British Grand Prix!

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, woodstock said:

I can’t wait to see the episode(s) for this year’s British Grand Prix!

And Baku!

All the team bosses trying to contact Michael Massey to whine and complain should be a straight to order 10 episodes comedy. Let me know if they show the contents of Toto's email on the show 😂
I used to work for the WRC for 5 years so I am no stranger to a moaning team principal, but F1 people really are on another level.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 2
On 4/4/2021 at 1:30 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was horrified at Romain Grosjean's fiery crash, but I knew that they wouldn't keep showing the footage if he had actually died so I kept waiting for the show to stop milking the moment and let us see him escape. It's amazing that his car broke apart like that but he was able to walk away from the wreck and into the ambulance. I loved that the team manager asked someone to find out the names of the people in the safety car.

I was so glad to see that Romain was okay so soon after the crash. The interview that he and his wife did was very sweet because it was obvious how much they were still shaken up but trying to stay positive. I laughed so hard when she rolled her eyes at him at the very end.

Indy Cars and F1 cars are designed to have the pieces come apart like they do to help dissipate impact. The drivers cage is usually constructed in a way to keep them safer. I used to go to the Indy Car races every year and saw a lot of horrible wrecks where the driver walked away and only a couple where there was serious injury.

• Useful 2

I have never cared anything for car racing.  Ever.  My husband started watching this, and I stayed only because I was too lazy to get up.  I am now hooked.  I don't want to be hooked. 

After watching all the seasons, I love Lewis Hamilton (my favorite moment was the episode in which we find out a great young driver [maybe Ocon] is losing his seat because he doesn't have a billionaire father and the new billionaire financial partner for his team happens to have a son who wants to race.  At one of the last races, he got on the podium and on the panel they asked Lewis about winning and he responded instead about how it was crazy that the young driver didn't have a seat when he is such a superior driver.)  I hate Max Verstappen.  I hate Red Bull.  This is the first year I care about Formula One, and it might be the first year Lewis doesn't win.  

We discovered one of our children has been a closet fan for years.  After seeing us inhale this series, he now excitedly recaps pole races and watches the grand prix live.   I keep telling him, "Get behind me, Satan," but he just laughs and tells me anyway.

I don't want to like this series.  When does Season 4 begin?!?

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Crs97 said:

They usually drop late February / early March. The 2021 F1 season finale is on December 12th, there are still 3 races to go.
Personally, I keep my fingers crossed for Max and Red Bull.

16 hours ago, Crs97 said:

After watching all the seasons, I love Lewis Hamilton (my favorite moment was the episode in which we find out a great young driver [maybe Ocon] is losing his seat because he doesn't have a billionaire father and the new billionaire financial partner for his team happens to have a son who wants to race.  At one of the last races, he got on the podium and on the panel they asked Lewis about winning and he responded instead about how it was crazy that the young driver didn't have a seat when he is such a superior driver.)

Lewis does have his heart in the right place, but he also knows fully well how hard the mid and lower tier teams have to fight for every penny. The difference in budget between Mercedes and the likes of Alpine, McLaren or Haas is eyewatering - even with the caps. Hiring one driver who basically pays for himself (Stroll, Latifi, Mazepin) helps those teams to sign a decent second driver (Vettel, Russell, Schumacher) and/or engineers.
Motorsport is and always has been about money (and politics). Almost every driver needs to bring a certain amount of sponsor money and commercial backing with him to even be considered for a cockpit. Sometimes that sponsor money comes from daddy.

• Love 1
On 11/14/2021 at 4:46 PM, Crs97 said:

I have never cared anything for car racing.  Ever.  My husband started watching this, and I stayed only because I was too lazy to get up.  I am now hooked.  I don't want to be hooked. 

After watching all the seasons, I love Lewis Hamilton (my favorite moment was the episode in which we find out a great young driver [maybe Ocon] is losing his seat because he doesn't have a billionaire father and the new billionaire financial partner for his team happens to have a son who wants to race.  At one of the last races, he got on the podium and on the panel they asked Lewis about winning and he responded instead about how it was crazy that the young driver didn't have a seat when he is such a superior driver.)  I hate Max Verstappen.  I hate Red Bull.  This is the first year I care about Formula One, and it might be the first year Lewis doesn't win.  

We discovered one of our children has been a closet fan for years.  After seeing us inhale this series, he now excitedly recaps pole races and watches the grand prix live.   I keep telling him, "Get behind me, Satan," but he just laughs and tells me anyway.

March 8, 2022.

If someone had told me that one day I'd be addicted to F1, I'd have called them insane. Welcome to the club!

The new season drops on March 11th on Netflix.

And a bit of news from F1: Michael Masi has been fired as race director. He'll be replaced by former DTM race director Niels Wittich and former rally race director Eduardo Freitas, who will take turns to oversee the F1 races.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 3

I guess Masi's "reassignment" within F1 will be covered the season after this. One major complaint about DTS is how manufactured some of the drama is. Just air the last 5-10 minutes of Abu Dhabi and call it a season - no need to manufacture anything. 😄

Edited by RunningMarket
  • LOL 3
On 2/28/2022 at 7:56 PM, xaxat said:

Looks like Haas/Uralkali and Mazepin are getting an episode.

Awkward.

Indeed. There is a chance that Mazepin will get the boot before this year's F1 season starts because his father is an oligarch with very close ties to Putin. At the test runs in Barcelona last weekend Haas removed all Ural Kali branding (rememer that Nikita only got the Haas cockpit because his father's company is the head sponsor) from the car and Mazepin did not partake in any press conferences.
There is a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council tomorrow where they will discuss, among other Russia related things, whether Mazepin will be stripped of his super license.

Update: The FIA will allow Russian and Belarusian drivers to compete under a neutral flag. However, F1 team Haas (whose owner is US-American millionaire Gene Haas) has let Mazepin go and also cut ties with Rusian agro-chem company UralKali.

Edited by Aulty
  • Useful 2

Three episodes into S4 and my biggest impression is that Red Bull will be featured A LOT. Or should I say Christian Horner will be featured A LOT. There are also seems to be more Toto Wolff than in seasons past. Considering the battle between the two teams last year the focus on those two is understandable. Depending on your perspective the CH and TW focus may be a good or bad thing 😂.

The third episode 'Tipping Point' covers Max Verstappen's/Red Bull's winning streak, Lewis Hamilton's/Mercedes' struggles and the Silverstone race. I had forgotten that LH served a 10 second stop and go penalty for the crash with MV and had to overtake Charles Leclerc to win. Interesting perspectives from CH, LH, and TW on the crash.

Despite the Red Bull/Mercedes focus it does look like Netflix made an effort to feature more teams and drivers this season.

Watching and listening to the race footage makes me excited and nervous all over again!

Update: Watched the next four episodes. Quick thoughts: Good riddance to the Mazepins (the episode featuring the Haas team did them no favors), Yuki Tsunoda is an interesting character, and I liked seeing the personal stuff with Guenther Steiner and Zak Brown. There was less CH. 

Good take on how to process DTS

I agree with the writer. I don’t expect this show to be 100% accurate. Of course the producers are going to embellish events and create narratives. I’m here for behind the scenes drama and shenanigans and to get a glimpse of what F1 life is like. There’s so much real world stuff going on it’s nice to sit back, relax and watch escape tv (at least that’s what this show is for me). Ymmv

Edited by woodstock
Added more thoughts
  • Love 4
On 3/12/2022 at 7:06 AM, woodstock said:

Good take on how to process DTS

I agree with the writer. I don’t expect this show to be 100% accurate. Of course the producers are going to embellish events and create narratives. I’m here for behind the scenes drama and shenanigans and to get a glimpse of what F1 life is like.

Thanks for the link. That article sums up nicely why I am so disappointed with this season of DTS. Its a superficial and scripted version of F1 - as the author rightly sais: a soap opera - and it doesn't really capture the excitement of the whole season, nor the building tension between Red Bull and Mercedes. It didn't help that Netflix didn't (or couldn't) send a team to every race, they missed quite a bit. And that one of the title contenders - Max Verstappen - doesn't participate in the show.
The last couple of episodes did manage to convey some of the crazyness of the last 3 races, but the focus on the team principals (and their wives) was exhausting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Aulty said:

Thanks for the link. That article sums up nicely why I am so disappointed with this season of DTS. Its a superficial and scripted version of F1 - as the author rightly sais: a soap opera - and it doesn't really capture the excitement of the whole season, nor the building tension between Red Bull and Mercedes. It didn't help that Netflix didn't (or couldn't) send a team to every race, they missed quite a bit. And that one of the title contenders - Max Verstappen - doesn't participate in the show.
The last couple of episodes did manage to convey some of the crazyness of the last 3 races, but the focus on the team principals (and their wives) was exhausting.

I’m wondering how much of what Netflix covers is determined by how much drivers and teams are willing to participate? Good point about Netflix not covering all of the races- if Covid was a factor then that would be understandable. 

I totally understand why people say DTS has become a soap opera. The fact that several of the drivers have expressed similar sentiments can be problematic and affect the show’s  longevity. Drama - even manufactured drama - may draw eyeballs to the screen especially new fans; however for a show about racing it can turn off longtime or hardcore F1/racing fans. IMO the trick is balancing racing - including its technical and strategic aspects, with the on/off track rivalries, business dealings, and general shenanigans. DTS seems to be leaning in on the drama and it’s irritated and turned off some of the fan base and drivers.

Personally, I am a science nerd so I’d love for them to spend more time on the technical aspects of racing. Especially for 2022 with the changes to the cars it would be great for S5 if we heard from the engineers and people back in the factories. But others may not care about that.

Netflix is working on DTS type shows for pro golf and tennis. Hopefully, TPTB at Netflix are taking notes on fan reaction to DTS S4 and avoid the same mistakes on those two shows and DTS S5 (if there is a S5).

• Love 2
14 hours ago, woodstock said:

I’m wondering how much of what Netflix covers is determined by how much drivers and teams are willing to participate? Good point about Netflix not covering all of the races- if Covid was a factor then that would be understandable.

I admit there are a couple of episodes I haven't watched, but as far as I know Netflix weren't in Baku (Verstappen's tyre blew up, Hamilton messed up the settings on the restart and instead of turning into the first corner drove straight off the track), Hungary (Bottas shunted Verstappen off the track) or Mexico (a whole nation roaring for Perez). Also the two races in Austria and the Netherland GP (although those were a bit boring) and they only showed bits of the Qualifying from the Belgian GP but not the shitshow of a 'race'.

They also forgot to mention, during the Russell vs. Bottas episode, that George Russell's Manager is Toto Wolff. Thats how George got the gig replacing Lewis in 2020. That 2022 MERC cockpit, in my view, was always reserved for Russell (no complaints, he is an exciting young driver with a great mindset) but they pretended to be undecided to keep Lewis' wingman Bottas motivated.
Edit: Or to give Netflix the chance to make an episode about them.

Edited by Aulty
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, woodstock said:

Personally, I am a science nerd so I’d love for them to spend more time on the technical aspects of racing. Especially for 2022 with the changes to the cars it would be great for S5 if we heard from the engineers and people back in the factories. But others may not care about that.

YouTube is a great place for that. The official F1 channel has regular tech discussions. They pump out a lot of content so you might have to hunt for what you want. Here is a brief overview of the changes for this season. There's also a lot of good independent analysis.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

YouTube is a great place for that. The official F1 channel has regular tech discussions. They pump out a lot of content so you might have to hunt for what you want. Here is a brief overview of the changes for this season. There's also a lot of good independent analysis.

Thank you xaxat! I will definitely check these out.

1 hour ago, Aulty said:

They also forgot to mention, during the Russell vs. Bottas episode, that George Russell's Manager is Toto Wolff. Thats how George got the gig replacing Lewis in 2020. That 2022 MERC cockpit, in my view, was always reserved for Russell (no complaints, he is an exciting young driver with a great mindset) but they pretended to be undecided to keep Lewis' wingman Bottas motivated.

Interesting. I did not know Toto is George's manager. If I'm remembering correctly George was in Mercedes' young driver program. I also remember that Toto was Esteban Ocon's manager at one point (not sure if that is still the case). I like Bottas; I hope he has a good year with Alfa Romeo.

• Love 1

F1 plans meeting with Netflix about DTS

Apparently there have been enough complaints from fans and drivers about the over dramatization on the series to grab F1’s attention. 

There’s no doubt that DTS has helped generate interest and raise the sport’s profile, especially here in the U.S., but this kind of negativity is not a good thing especially coming from the drivers. 

Edited by woodstock
Grammar is important
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Seasons 5 and 6 confirmed

Based on the negative feedback from some drivers and fans it will be interesting to see if Netflix tweaks the show.

On Good Morning America earlier this week Lewis Hamilton acknowledged that the show has helped increase the fan base especially here in the U.S. IMO I think most of the drivers are ok with the show but Netflix needs to tone down the melodrama.

Edited by woodstock
Grammar is important
  • Useful 1
On 1/12/2023 at 7:42 AM, woodstock said:

Of course I'll watch regardless, but there seems to be less and less participation (or willing participation) from some drivers. Over the past couple of years, both Checo and Max have said they wouldn't participate - so I guess we're stuck with a lot of Horner. 😄

Danny Ric is always a willing participant, so it will be sad to see him not involved (we assume) next season.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

Of course I'll watch regardless, but there seems to be less and less participation (or willing participation) from some drivers. Over the past couple of years, both Checo and Max have said they wouldn't participate - so I guess we're stuck with a lot of Horner.

Yeah.  It's unfortunate because the first season didn't have many top drivers. They ended up liking the first season and got involved but, from what I remember reading, don't like the manufactured drama in some of the later seasons--drama that portrays drivers as enemies when they're actually friends. 

I binged this show last year around this time and then paid attention to F1 racing which I knew nothing about.  It'll be interesting to see whether or not this show covers the real drama or the manufactured drama of last season.  From what I've seen other fans say, it sometimes eschews some good drama for fictional drama even if the real drama is more interesting.  There was plenty of it last season.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah.  It's unfortunate because the first season didn't have many top drivers. They ended up liking the first season and got involved but, from what I remember reading, don't like the manufactured drama in some of the later seasons--drama that portrays drivers as enemies when they're actually friends.

I occasionally check the F1 and F1 Wags threads on Tattler where they follow drivers' and girlfriends' social media (the dating pool seems very narrow and moving between drivers is perfectly normal) and by the looks of it they all get on reasonably well. Granted, Lewis and Max will never go on holiday together but it doesn't seem as its portrayed on Netflix and some TV stations during the season, and Pierre and Esteban being team mates in 2023 will be interesting. A lot of drivers feature on each other's insta, are visiting each other during off season, meet up or at least attend the same sponsor events. Most of them have known each other for years, driving in the same junior series. And quite a few live within a square mile in Monaco.

They will probably have another Wolff vs. Horner episode where they adress the budget gap issue at Red Bull, an episode dedicated to Seb, at least one about the Alonso/Piastri/Ricciardo fiasco, at least one about Ferrari being Ferrari, the Checo vs. Max issue at the second to last race, a Haas episode featuring Kevin's pole and Gunther pondering over whether to keep Schumacher for 2023, one about Joe and his massive crash.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
32 minutes ago, Aulty said:

They will probably have another Wolff vs. Horner episode

I didn't want to quote your whole post but IA with your take. But it leaves me wondering if they are they going to just ignore the whole issue of having to boot the Russian Oligarch and his driver son?  I wonder if they'll cover the fear the drivers had in Saudi Arabia, I believe.  Or the whole racism scandal/s, one of which led to banning Max's girlfriend's father from the track. 

• Like 2

Good points about the Mazepins, the terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia, and the racism scandals. I’m also interested to see if they will cover the controversy at the Japanese GP involving the recovery vehicle being on track and Pierre Gasly understandably being upset about that. Or the fan abuse/assaults at some of the races.

Edited by woodstock
Grammar is important!
  • Like 2

I didn't watch the last episode of last season because I new it would make me mad.

I finally broke down and watched it today and knowing that Red Bull was cheating made me even madder.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
33 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

Watched the first two episodes so far. I want an entire spin off of the adventures of Mattia and Guenther. 😄

THIS! Mattia and Guenther driving around in a mini car, drinking wine and eating…I would totally watch that.

I have watched the first five episodes and so far this season is better than last. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, woodstock said:

THIS! Mattia and Guenther driving around in a mini car, drinking wine and eating…I would totally watch that.

I have watched the first five episodes and so far this season is better than last. 

It does seem like less false drama, so far. I absolutely loved the principals meeting with F1. "If there's something wrong with your car, fix the f*cking car!" And then Mattia's eyeroll at Guenther while Toto was whining about the porposing. 

• Like 2
On 2/25/2023 at 6:56 PM, RunningMarket said:

It does seem like less false drama, so far. I absolutely loved the principals meeting with F1. "If there's something wrong with your car, fix the f*cking car!" And then Mattia's eyeroll at Guenther while Toto was whining about the porposing. 

Yes, it does seem as though Netflix listened to the criticisms from drivers and viewers.

Although you do not need to create drama when there's the Team Principals meeting and the shenanigans around the Oscar Piastro fiasco! I want to know who was that who said 'don't trust Zak (Brown)' to Daniel Ricciardo.

Regarding the 'Hot Seat' episode Red Bull is ruthless when it comes to switching drivers but I guess you have to be to remain competitive. For some reason, I laughed out loud when Max Verstappen talked about having several teammates.

Zhou Guanyu is very fortunate to be alive and unscathed. I re-watched the footage from his crash at Silverstone several times...it's incredible that he walked away from that.

Additional thoughts after watching the final three episodes: 'Over the Limit' focused on the Red Bull cap breach controversy. Christian Horner...I don't even know where to start. If he suspected that another team had breached the cap he would have raised holy hell about it so his whining was hypocritical. And the press conference with Zak Brown...wow CH just looked silly. Apologies to any Red Bull/Christian Horner fans...he just did not come off well in that episode IMO.

Understanding that the series is only 10 episodes and everything cannot be covered I was surprised that some of the other major stories from last year were barely covered or not covered at all - Sebastian Vettel and his retirement (Sergio Perez's reaction was hilarious!), the recovery vehicle being on track at Suzuka (despite story-lines and video for that race), and the issue of online abuse and onsite abuse at one if not more of the race venues. Pleasantly surprised by the last episode. I was sure Netflix would try to milk the drama from the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix🤣🤣.

Edited by woodstock
Grammar is important!