Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
paigow

S02.E09: Paradise Lost

Recommended Posts

AIRING APR 4, 2021

With less than 48 hours, Alfred, Thomas & Martha concoct a plan to infiltrate Raven headquarters with Daveboy and Lucius to steal Project Stormcloud.

Share this post


Link to post

Darth Vader saves Luke from Palpatine!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, paigow said:

Darth Vader saves Luke from Palpatine!!!

When Cyborg!Mr.P asked Alfie to join him, I thought, "They've gone full "Star Wars"".  

I loved seeing the Sykes Sisters reunite with Alfie and the gang. I also loved that Bet has had so much going on in her life that she had to reach a bit for Alfred's name while he remembered the unforgettable Bet.  

I was actually worried for Bet when she hugged Alfred. It felt like goodbye. And seeing as this show has gotten rid of others in the past, I wouldn't be surprised seeing another regular depart.  Especially seeing as that Paloma was pregnant when they returned to filming after their Covid-19 forced break.

Share this post


Link to post

This was a real fun episode, with everyone doing some sort of swan song with people, though Alfred's scene with Sondra was rather excruciatingly long. I would’ve liked more to the Thomas and Martha scene instead. They’re so damn entertaining, and both so very stubborn, it’s like pulling teeth for either of them to concede any progress in the relationship. I also got a snicker at the shot of Thomas using Martha’s sleeping body as a table.

And then I loved that Alfred's caper and Bet’s caper converged towards the end there. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

 I would’ve liked more to the Thomas and Martha scene instead. They’re so damn entertaining, and both so very stubborn, it’s like pulling teeth for either of them to concede any progress in the relationship. I also got a snicker at the shot of Thomas using Martha’s sleeping body as a table.

Thomas and Martha are made of win. I absolutely love them as a couple. It really sucks that I've seen just about every Batman movie made and I know how this plays out 😞

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Philbert said:

Thomas and Martha are made of win. I absolutely love them as a couple. It really sucks that I've seen just about every Batman movie made and I know how this plays out 😞

That's the best and worst thing about  their story. For decades audiences have only cared about Thomas and Martha through the extent that their deaths had on Bruce - didn't really know them as characters enough to care (though for Thomas DC's  Flashpoint arc has changed all of that) about them. But now, thanks to their portrayals on Pennyworth when I think about the murders of Thomas and Martha I think of these two funny, charming badasses and it makes their future deaths that much more tragic and Alfred stepping up as a guardian that much more poignant. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

27 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

For decades audiences have only cared about Thomas and Martha through the extent that their deaths had on Bruce

Yeah, that’s something that I had thought about that I liked about this show. The only thing that was ever known about Thomas and Martha was their deaths, what they were like as actual people was never fleshed out. This show is not only doing that but also showing us characters that believably spawned Bruce: in each of them you can see traits that he inherited.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

This show is not only doing that but also showing us characters that believably spawned Bruce: in each of them you can see traits that he inherited.

Then how did they get surprised? Why are they walking in alleys? Why are they not armed? 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, paigow said:
6 hours ago, kariyaki said:

This show is not only doing that but also showing us characters that believably spawned Bruce: in each of them you can see traits that he inherited.

Then how did they get surprised? Why are they walking in alleys? Why are they not armed? 

It stands to reason that they got out of their respective fields and were living quiet pedestrian lives. There's no need to look over their shoulders. Even walking through an alley named Crime Alley - it's just a night out with the family who is to think the worse could happen.  I liken it to a soldier doing two tours of duty and returning home unscathed only to end up being killed by a stay bullet. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, paigow said:

Then how did they get surprised? Why are they walking in alleys? Why are they not armed? 

 

And why was not Alfred and his crew riding shotgun while they went to the theater?

 

Seriously, they survive a bloody civil war in England only to get shot by some schmuck in a back alley? I call shananigans...

Share this post


Link to post

Well, assuming this show will actually get to that event, I see no point in nitpicking something that hasn’t happened yet, since we have no way of knowing how the writers will depict it. Although, judging from Martha’s Arsenal Wall in her apartment, I find it unlikely that she would walk down a sketchy alley without at least three pistols somewhere on her person.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Well, assuming this show will actually get to that event, I see no point in nitpicking something that hasn’t happened yet, since we have no way of knowing how the writers will depict it. 

A fair point although I think this is supposed to be at least an unofficial prequel to "Gotham." But it's something to think about.

Share this post


Link to post

17 hours ago, Philbert said:

A fair point although I think this is supposed to be at least an unofficial prequel to "Gotham." But it's something to think about.

Re-doing the Wayne murders like "The Wild Bunch" is more consistent with this version of Martha & Thomas

Share this post


Link to post

That's certainly going to be one hell of the reunion between Mrs. and Mrs. Pennyworth. Not every day your husband comes back from the dead as a rolling steampunk cyborg. That's weird even by this shows standards. 

That was really fun, just about the whole cast got a lot of great moments, and I love that Alfie and Bet's capers ended up crossing paths and merged for a bit. Leading to a lot of reunions and some hilarious life or death chit chat. I also loved when Mrs. P asked if anyone wanted tea and Thomas and Lucius put their hands up really fast while Martha put hers up more slowly. And when Thomas and company stole the weapon and Thomas stopped for a second to tell the scientists that he is working on his own and not on behalf of the US government, to Alfie's annoyance. 

Thomas and Martha are such a great couple, they're both so stubborn that every step in their relationship takes forever in between all of the banter and the storming out of rooms, but you can still tell how much they click. I love that the show has done so much to characterize Thomas and Martha Wayne, while most Batman media have them just be Bruce's tragically dead parents that set him on his path, but it also makes their inevitable fates much sadder, and Alfie going on to raise their son even more poignant now that we've seen what all they went through together. I have wondered if they will end up implying that they weren't killed by just some random guy, but that it was instead someone with a grudge against them from their adventuring days, but it might just make it even more tragic if it really was just some random low life. They survived this entire bloody civil war and all of this other craziness, only to be killed by some nobody after retiring to raise their son. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size