Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E15: Where Are They Now? Maja and Justin

• Start Topic

Maja needs weight-loss surgery so she can lose weight, but Dr. Now won't approve her for surgery if she can't overcome getting dumped by her boyfriend Christian without using food to cope. Justin charts a course to be one of Dr. Now's best patients ever.

It's the return of Maja and Justin in this where are they now episode.  Where indeed? 

You may recall Maja and her beau Chris-shun from the riveting scene in which we heard  Maja say, "Chris-shun, Chris-shun, Chris-shun, Chris-shun, Chris-shun, Chris-shun, Chris-shun, Chris-shun, . . ."  Christian peaced out to Oregon during Maja's epic journey.  Has she pulled herself together or will she yet again call mommy from Dr. Now's because she is not getting everything she wants the second she wants it? 

Justin had a horrible mother but somehow found success.  Will it continue? 

This is the regular episode thread.  It will unlock after the initial US east coast showing. 

Original air date 2021.03.31

Justin was a complete success, Maja not so much. Justin took charge, followed Dr Now, did what he was told and achieved all his goals. Maja never accepted responsibility, with Chrishun gone found others, including Dr Now to blame and lost a moderate amount. By the end Justin was kayaking and flying, Maja was talking about how supportive her family was while they socially forced her to consume a refined sugar pastry. A tale with a winner and a loser.

• Love 23

Maja made it very clear that in less than 5 minutes of being home, she chose the fattening desert.   I will have one bite, as we see her taking a second.    I bet she ate half the plate.

Messed up family too, putting it out there for her homecoming. Creepy people.

I hope Justin has a happy life now. He looks great.

• Love 22

I have to watch this on the Optimum repeat channel since I am in bed by 8pm for my 430am workouts.  I was hoping to read that Chris-Shun made a special guest appearance.  The Chris-Shun melt-down is my second-favorite episode of this show ever.  NO ONE will ever beat Nicole and her Merry Bunch of Bastards.  Mouth-Breathing Charlie.  Numerous people living in one hotel room.  Sub-letting part of her rented house to drug dealers (which I'm sure truly endeared her to the landlord).  The police forcing her to lift her blubber to check for drugs.  The rolling hotel bed.  The amazing hydro-engineering of the porch shower.  It's the gift that keeps on giving.

• LOL 10
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, FormeryHeavyJ said:

I have to watch this on the Optimum repeat channel since I am in bed by 8pm for my 430am workouts.  I was hoping to read that Chris-Shun made a special guest appearance.  The Chris-Shun melt-down is my second-favorite episode of this show ever.  NO ONE will ever beat Nicole and her Merry Bunch of Bastards.  Mouth-Breathing Charlie.  Numerous people living in one hotel room.  Sub-letting part of her rented house to drug dealers (which I'm sure truly endeared her to the landlord).  The police forcing her to lift her blubber to check for drugs.  The rolling hotel bed.  The amazing hydro-engineering of the porch shower.  It's the gift that keeps on giving.

You forgot the sofa meatloaf!

Seriously, Juggalo Nicole was the best for sheer, unadulterated WTF moments. I remember seeing an update and our dawning realization that Charlie made the most sense of any of them. When Charlie is the smart one, you've got trouble. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

Justin is doing so well.  I'm very happy for him.   He's a cutie, too, but I'm a sucker for red hair and freckles.  

I had forgotten about Maja.  I want to see a follow-up with Christian.  

• Love 15

I stayed out of Live Chat last night, since I have a big mouth and am FB friends with Brianne and Alicia who are also very close friends with Maja. Needless to say, I knew how she is doing now. And now I can say, it appears that she's taken her time but is much thinner and seems to have a new beau/husband (and a last name change). 

Justin is also one of my top faves, beyond Brianne/Alicia/Christina P. and Brittani F. That boy did exactly as he was told. I love him to death. I want more episodes like him, it's the real reason I watch this show. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
20 minutes ago, snarkish said:

I stayed out of Live Chat last night, since I have a big mouth and am FB friends with Brianne and Alicia who are also very close friends with Maja. Needless to say, I knew how she is doing now. And now I can say, it appears that she's taken her time but is much thinner and seems to have a new beau/husband (and a last name change). 

Justin is also one of my top faves, beyond Brianne/Alicia/Christina P. and Brittani F. That boy did exactly as he was told. I love him to death. I want more episodes like him, it's the real reason I watch this show. 

Its wonderful that she has improved do much!! I hope she continues to take care of her health and keep the weight off.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

You forgot the sofa meatloaf!

Seriously, Juggalo Nicole was the best for sheer, unadulterated WTF moments. I remember seeing an update and our dawning realization that Charlie made the most sense of any of them. When Charlie is the smart one, you've got trouble. 

I missed the episode and will watch later but is Nicole also the one that threw the sub at her boyfriend in the car? That still makes me laugh.

• LOL 5
56 minutes ago, steff13 said:

Justin is doing so well.  I'm very happy for him.   He's a cutie, too, but I'm a sucker for red hair and freckles.  

I had forgotten about Maja.  I want to see a follow-up with Christian.  

If Christian is smart he's moved to an island off the coast of Scotland and is living off the grid under an assumed name. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 9

I am so very glad to see Justin doing so well! He’s a star. And so cute omg he’s precious. 

I am glad he’s been to therapy and worked on some of his feelings about his Mom etc. I am glad he and he Dad are getting along, but I still think Justin seems lonely. He knows his Dad loves/cares about him but likely can’t or won’t give him the emotional intimacy he’s looking for.

I’m sure Justin can find his own tribe of people (either through friends or a romantic partner) that can give him what he’s looking for because he has a lot to offer! It just may take a while. 

• Love 17
12 hours ago, Cherrio said:

Maja made it very clear that in less than 5 minutes of being home, she chose the fattening desert.   I will have one bite, as we see her taking a second.    I bet she ate half the plate.

Messed up family too, putting it out there for her homecoming. Creepy people.

It almost seemed like they were taunting her. Her mom basically saying "do you want healthy cucumbers, or..." in that sing-songy voice. They're all laughing like they're so happy to see her then putting out something good like cucumbers along with something they know damn well she shouldn't be eating, right on day 1. And they're supposed to be "accountability partners"? 

3 hours ago, FormeryHeavyJ said:

I have seen so many culinary inventions on this show.  Couch meatloaf.  Deep frying while in bed.  Shoveling out ice cream when the 5-gallon container is inches from a person's naked special area.  Making pancakes in an electric skillet in the living room.  

My mom once made grilled cheese on an electric skillet in the living room, but in her defense they were redoing the kitchen and she had no stove or sink for several days. (Her skillet was at least on the table behind the couch.)

43 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m sure Justin can find his own tribe of people (either through friends or a romantic partner) that can give him what he’s looking for because he has a lot to offer! It just may take a while. 

It seems he does have friends, so that's good. He had people (plural, apparently) who were willing to keep an eye on his house while he was away (don't know if he paid them, but clearly he had enough financial freedom to even keep his house while renting in Houston, which was nice), and we saw the one who came over to walk with him, and the other who went back to Houston with him to be there for his skin surgery (and when she was talking about how they've been friends for a long time and he meant a lot to her, I didn't get the feeling she was reading a script and didn't really want to be there for him). (Not sure if the guy he was kayaking with was a friend or if he worked with the rental place.)

16 minutes ago, Ellee said:

I didn’t see the beginning of Justin’s journey.  Was his mom an enabler or what?

He looked so good at the end of the show. 

I don't remember much about his mom from his first episode, but apparently she was an addict? She was supposed to go to Houston with him in the beginning but bailed shortly before he was supposed to leave. That's how his dad ended up going (which I'm sure is for the best, since he seems to be the much more stable parent). 

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Ellee said:

I didn’t see the beginning of Justin’s journey.  Was his mom an enabler or what?

He looked so good at the end of the show. 

No his Mom wasn’t an enabler. She had problems with addiction if I remember correctly like @ams1001 state above.

Justin’s Dad had primary custody for most of his childhood, but the Dad worked on the road (trucking I think) and left Justin in the care of his wife. The step mother didn’t abuse Justin or criminally neglect him but it was clear she didn’t love or emotionally nurture him, she took care of him because the husband said to do so and made sure it was very clear that Justin knew that. (Justin’s Dad is no longer married to that woman)

So Justin had an emotionally neglectful childhood but is an intelligent and a decent human being who’s doing his work on himself. From Justin’s original episode his Dad has regrets about the choices he made when Justin was small and wanted to help him out. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 8

Really enjoyed re-watching one of my favourite bits - Maja yelling at Chrisshun “you don’t have that option” and him calmly standing up and telling her “yes I do” as he walked out of the room.

Justin was such a highlight in this year of losers (gainers?).  He has worked so hard, unlike the others who claim they’re working hard but have no understanding of what that means.  Loved seeing him flying at the end, much better than the usual “walk in the park” ending.

• Love 17

From re-watching the start of Maja's journey, I was struck by how much more mobile she was than almost all the people we have seen this season...not only walking, but driving.

14 hours ago, Cherrio said:

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

It almost seemed like they were taunting her. Her mom basically saying "do you want healthy cucumbers, or..." in that sing-songy voice. They're all laughing like they're so happy to see her then putting out something good like cucumbers along with something they know damn well she shouldn't be eating, right on day 1. And they're supposed to be "accountability partners"? 

I missed the last part.  Are you guys saying that at the welcome home party for someone who had WLS, that her "accountability partners" had sweets?!?!?!!

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I missed the last part.  Are you guys saying that at the welcome home party for someone who had WLS, that her "accountability partners" had sweets?!?!?!!

Yeah, her grandmother made some kind of cake-type thing. (It was yellow, and cut into squares kinda like brownies. Maja took one square, said she'd have one bite as she was cutting it in half. Probably ate the whole piece.)

Justin is certainly allowed to write off an addict mom, more power to him. I hope he continues to do gangbusters and gets himself a cute, loyal lady. He deserves it.

Maja did not look any lighter, like, at all. Her family are pushers. They don’t want her thin, she may leave again and be happy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Thank you @ams1001.  Last night was the first time I’d seen Justin and his journey.  Crazy as it sounds I was so proud of him when I saw him at the end.  Couldn’t help but wonder how he continued on.  

Go, Justin. Go,Justin, go!  😁

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Ellee said:

Thank you @ams1001.  Last night was the first time I’d seen Justin and his journey.  Crazy as it sounds I was so proud of him when I saw him at the end.  Couldn’t help but wonder how he continued on.  

Go, Justin. Go,Justin, go!  😁

I love it when we can actually root for the person and it's justified. They seem to be going more for train-wreck spectacle than actual people at least trying to do well lately. There was much more success in the earlier seasons, and even the ones who didn't do quite so well were trying and at least made some noticeable progress.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, her grandmother made some kind of cake-type thing. (It was yellow, and cut into squares kinda like brownies. Maja took one square, said she'd have one bite as she was cutting it in half. Probably ate the whole piece.)

Or she did what a friend's husband who had WLS, and lost to his goal weight did.  He started eating at night, there was no such thing as a doggie bag in that house, it was a husband bag at 3 a.m.    He regained some of what he lost, but nowhere near what he weighted pre-surgery.    I'm betting the leftovers in Maja's house went bye-bye the second the other family were out of sight.     I don't believe any online photos since someone showed me how they can filter, and distort photos very easily.  

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Since the link makes us sign in, could someone cut-and-paste or summarize for those of us without facebook access?

Oops, sorry. Apparently it was something called Blue Star Blitz; the post (from 5 days ago) says 

Another 5k bites the dust! First time doing a hiking 5K but so much fun! Can’t wait to do more Love the @ascgreenway #5k #Hiking #Outdoors #Health #CouldntHaveDoneThisAt700Pounds #Progress #Grateful #BlueStarBlitz

above a picture of him wearing a t-shirt from the event, with a big smile on his face and his arms up in a "victory" sort of pose.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It looked like a cheesecake (I am a connoisseur of cheesecakes from different places).  Maja said she would have one bite, then she took another with the obligatory eyes rolling back in her head, orgasm face.  I think we all know that the second the cameras were gone she face planted into the pan and did her best Hoover vacuum impression, sucking the entire half-sheet pan of cake into her face within seconds.  

Maja also set up the plan for which days she would exercise with each person (a.k.a. her cake bearing support system).  Of course, that makes it most possible for her to place blame if someone is not at her beck and call.  "You are my Monday person!  I expected to walk with you at 10:17 on Monday!!!! How dare you be here <on Tuesday>, <in the afternoon>, <at 10:18>!!!!!!!!  Now I will not be able to exercise and it is your fault!!!!!!!!  Somebody get me cake, stat!"

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

Has anyone else done so poorly after actually getting the surgery?  I feel like Maya isn't the first, but I can't think of who else failed so miserably WITH the gastric sleeve.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cynicat said:

Has anyone else done so poorly after actually getting the surgery?  I feel like Maya isn't the first, but I can't think of who else failed so miserably WITH the gastric sleeve.

Erica. She was doing well, then Jimmy left her and she went off the rails. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

Erica. She was doing well, then Jimmy left her and she went off the rails. 

Yes, she ate through a stomach stapling in her teens, and two surgeries from Dr. Now.    She's the one who couldn't fit in the CAT scan machine.

I really think this was filmed a couple of years ago, so while Justin has progressed, and is doing well, Maja will always be the self-centered, mean person she's always been, no matter what she weighs. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, cynicat said:

The infamous Penny

• Love 3
(edited)

Lots of people have had the surgery, or multiple surgeries and done very badly, including eating through the surgery.  Erica (three surgeries), and others have all gained a lot after surgery.    There are others that claim they gained a lot of weight going to Dr. Now's office, because of sodium, or water weight, or other reasons that aren't their fault.     My guess is no matter what filters or other techniques the after photos that get posted use, some people will keeps gaining, and lying about it.    

I really love Justin's progress.    I wonder if he's thought about going to a university hospital with a residency program in plastic surgery?   That would be cheaper, but hopefully have a better outcome.    Private insurance won't pay for skin removal, except in a few very specific cases.   

A friend's husband had the most radical WLS, and she said that if he developed the front 'apron' (luckily he didn't), and if the excess skin was hanging below his genital area, that he might get approved to have that removed.   However, even with their various forms of insurance, none of them would pay for any other skin removal surgery.    It's elective surgery, and the health plans simply don't care about issues with sagging skin.     You would think that Houston would have a plastic surgery residency program that would partner with Dr. Now's patients (for the publicity) and do skin removals for the final surgery, that would be pro bono.     The residents have to do a certain amount of cosmetic and other specialty surgeries for their residency requirement.     The worst issue would be that very few hospitals allow filming, and I suspect that's one reason that we rarely see anyone in the halls during filming at the hospital any longer.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 4/1/2021 at 11:54 AM, LuvMyShows said:

Are you guys saying that at the welcome home party for someone who had WLS, that her "accountability partners" had sweets?!?!?!!

Yeah, to me it looked like either cheesecake or lemon squares (key lime squares?) It was ridiculous. We just have a _little_ bit of heroin for you here, Maja. Just a taste!

Justin's a superstar. No wonder they want him to speak at the expo. Good for him!

• Love 8
(edited)

I am watching this on Discovery+ because I want to see how Justin is doing. I have really enjoyed seeing his success and progress.

I'm at about the 90 minute point where Maja is packing up to leave Houston, to go home to Portland. Her VO at that point is such bullshit that I have put on the CC and am copying it from the screen:

I think that being with my family is going to benefit me more than staying alone.  Because being home will allow me to focus exclusively on my weight. My family has prepared themselves to be my accountability partners when I come back because right now I am struggling to be accountable for my choices. My sisters, my mom, my aunt - they're all gonna be responsible for my continued weight loss. I am looking forward to that.

WTF? What happened to Maja herself being responsible for her continued weight loss? 

Oh well, I didn't like what I saw of her on the show so, whatever, hon. I'm glad her family seems to love her. But the food they shoved at her right away. Urgh. I mean, I hope she can lose more weight and enjoy a healthier future. But she seems to be unlikely to do better than so many of the poundticipants who decide "Well, I can just do things my way, better than Dr. Now, who doesn't understand my needs." Oh-kay.

And in the meantime, Justin's just rocking it. So good to see how well he did after the skin surgery.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Oh well, I didn't like what I saw of her on the show so, whatever, hon. I'm glad her family seems to love her. But the food they shoved at her right away. Urgh.

I doubt Maja will lose any more, and believe she will start gaining back.  Her mother is oblivious (intentionally perhaps) regarding the truth.  She kept going on and on about how thin Maja's face is, and how different she looked.

I really believe Maja's interpretation of swimming "almost every day" for an hour and a half breaks down as;

• She drives past the swimming pool "almost every day" on a fast food run.
  • About once a month, she actually goes TO the parking lot of the place where the pool is, about 10 miles from her home.
  • She leaves her house at 11:00 AM and drives to the pool.  She COULD arrive by 11:15, but it's so close to lunchtime that she opts to go out for a quick lunch first. 
  • She chooses a fast food place that's another 10 miles away.  By the time she gets there, the drive-through line is long.  She finally gets her food at 11:45, and parks in a shady spot to eat her "Dr. Now approved" food.
  • She finishes eating her three hamburgers and two large orders of fries and a large coke in 15 minutes.  (Let's give her credit; that's probably a lot less than she USED to order.)
  • She realizes that (a) she's supposed to wait at least 30 minutes after eating before swimming, and (b) she doesn't even OWN a swimsuit, much less have it in the car. 
  • By now she's 20 miles from home, and it will take her 30 minutes to get there, so it's 12:30 when she arrives.
  • And that, folks, is how I think Maja spends 90 minutes "swimming" . . . "almost every day."  For proof, check her weight loss numbers.
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I really believe Maja's interpretation of swimming "almost every day" for an hour and a half breaks down as;

• She drives past the swimming pool "almost every day" on a fast food run.
  • About once a month, she actually goes TO the parking lot of the place where the pool is, about 10 miles from her home.
  • She leaves her house at 11:00 AM and drives to the pool.  She COULD arrive by 11:15, but it's so close to lunchtime that she opts to go out for a quick lunch first. 
  • She chooses a fast food place that's another 10 miles away.  By the time she gets there, the drive-through line is long.  She finally gets her food at 11:45, and parks in a shady spot to eat her "Dr. Now approved" food.
  • She finishes eating her three hamburgers and two large orders of fries and a large coke in 15 minutes.  (Let's give her credit; that's probably a lot less than she USED to order.)
  • She realizes that (a) she's supposed to wait at least 30 minutes after eating before swimming, and (b) she doesn't even OWN a swimsuit, much less have it in the car. 
  • By now she's 20 miles from home, and it will take her 30 minutes to get there, so it's 12:30 when she arrives.
  • And that, folks, is how I think Maja spends 90 minutes "swimming" . . . "almost every day."  For proof, check her weight loss numbers.

This got me curious to try a break-down for real, since 90 minutes of swimming would be quite something.  So first of all, clearly the "almost every day" would be at best twice a week.  For the specific breakdown, I'm going to generously not even include driving time.  So;

• Arrive at parking lot, walk to building, check in, and walk to the locker room  (6 minutes)
  • Change out of clothes and into bathing suit, put things in locker, go to the bathroom (7 minutes)
  • Walk out to the pool, choose a lane, put on her bathing cap, maybe get some pool barbells or noodles, drink some water (4 minutes)
  • Sit at the edge of the pool procrastinating getting in because the water is cold (5 minutes)
  • Warm up with some low-key in-place motions (3 minutes)
  • Swim (5 minutes)
  • Cool down with some low-key in-place motions (3 minutes)
  • Get out of pool, drink some water, put equipment back (4 minutes)
  • Walk back into locker room, sit down and rest (7 minutes)
  • Get shower stuff from locker, go to the bathroom, walk to showers, adjust shower temperature, arrange shampoo etc. (6 minutes)
  • Shower (20 minutes)
  • Dry off and get dressed (6 minutes)
  • Dry hair (6 minutes)
  • Gather up wet bathing suit and other belongings (3 minutes)
  • Walk back to car (5 minutes)

Whew...what a workout!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 4/3/2021 at 10:27 PM, Jeeves said:

I am watching this on Discovery+ because I want to see how Justin is doing. I have really enjoyed seeing his success and progress.

I'm at about the 90 minute point where Maja is packing up to leave Houston, to go home to Portland. Her VO at that point is such bullshit that I have put on the CC and am copying it from the screen:

WTF? What happened to Maja herself being responsible for her continued weight loss? 

Oh well, I didn't like what I saw of her on the show so, whatever, hon. I'm glad her family seems to love her. But the food they shoved at her right away. Urgh. I mean, I hope she can lose more weight and enjoy a healthier future. But she seems to be unlikely to do better than so many of the poundticipants who decide "Well, I can just do things my way, better than Dr. Now, who doesn't understand my needs." Oh-kay.

And in the meantime, Justin's just rocking it. So good to see how well he did after the skin surgery.

The part you quoted struck me the exact same way. Like, I'm going home and now it's my family's turn to be responsible for my weight loss. I no longer take any responsibility for anything that happens to me. I can blame somebody else! YAY! Reminds me of (can't remember her name) blaming poor misunderstood CHRISSHUN for messing up everything with her weight loss and Dr. Now!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lilysmom said:

Reminds me of (can't remember her name) blaming poor misunderstood CHRISSHUN for messing up everything with her weight loss and Dr. Now!

Yeah, that was Maja. 

I hope for Christian's sake, he doesn't run into her since she's been home.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, lilysmom said:

The part you quoted struck me the exact same way. Like, I'm going home and now it's my family's turn to be responsible for my weight loss. I no longer take any responsibility for anything that happens to me. I can blame somebody else! YAY! Reminds me of (can't remember her name) blaming poor misunderstood CHRISSHUN for messing up everything with her weight loss and Dr. Now!

That was Maja, as a matter of fact. ETA: I posted too quickly, didn't see the one above until too late. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, that was Maja. 

I hope for Christian's sake, he doesn't run into her since she's been home.

Well, that just goes to show how much attention I was paying to the show!! No wonder I couldn't think of her name. Thanks for the refresher.  LOL

• LOL 3
(edited)

Just watching this now and adding thoughts:

Christina looks great and seems to be sticking to it.  Good for her. I recall her getting too thin at one point so I am glad she found a balance. The filming with her and Justin felt really awkward and forced.

The recap of Maja calling mommy and screaming that Christian ruined her appointment reminded me of how awful she is. Your addict behaviour is not his fault. How the hell is Maja not losing much after surgery? Is she eating all day? She eats eggs and veggies? Her mouth is a cavern of lies. “ I am sad and Dr. Now was so mean” shut up Maja. That might work with you family but not with Dr. Now.

justin seems to own his shit but he seems very goal oriented. I worry that once he runs out of goal weights he may lose focus. I hope he keeps setting fitness goals for himself. He seems like a nice guy and I want him to succeed and have a great life. Don’t fret not being able to run far, we all start somewhere. That skin removal surgery looked brutal, poor thing.

Maja’s apt is very clean. Unlike that cockroach trap that we saw a couple weeks ago. At least this woman cleans and showers. Low bar I know.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 5

I saw the rerun of Maja's original episode, and it was so strange to see this after so long.    The airport fall, the screaming at the poor Christian, him leaving her.    Then, in this one after she finally gets surgery, she goes back home to grandma's cooking, soon to eat through her surgery I bet.       I hope Christian stayed away from her. 

• Applause 1