Type keyword(s) to search

Oops! Bloopers And Other Production Mistakes On TV Shows

• Start Topic

To be fair, TV studios can get hellishly hot when the studio lights are turned on. It's common for the talent to wear a suit jacket with shorts if the audience is only going to see the upper half of their body. The trick is making sure that's all they see.

• Love 4

But he was reporting from home.  Apparently he was then going to go out and shoot some hoops in the driveway afterward.  I imagine a lot of reporters are wearing sweatpants and shorts these days.

• Love 1

The real "Oops" in that situation was someone not checking the camera angle before the feed started, not the reporter's choices in lower haberdashery.

This listicle I just read seems to fit here: 17 real injuries caught on live TV.  Caution: the rest of the site and many of the videos in the listicle are not exactly safe for work.

• Love 4

I kind of like seeing all the broadcasting from home studios footage.  For one thing, the newscasters' and weatherpersons' own clothes clearly don't fit nearly as well as the on-air stuff they wear, and some of them(or their spouses) have terrible taste in wall paper.  And it's always fun when there's a random cat appearance.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
19 hours ago, dalek said:

I kind of like seeing all the broadcasting from home studios footage.  For one thing, the newscasters' and weatherpersons' own clothes clearly don't fit nearly as well as the on-air stuff they wear, and some of them(or their spouses) have terrible taste in wall paper.  And it's always fun when there's a random cat appearance.

A few days ago the weather lady was doing her report and her husband walked through the shot carrying out the trash.  

Ha!  It was on YouTube:

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 13

You know, if people filming from home are going to have stuff going on behind them,  at least make it worth it. Like dragging something that looks like a body or a stampede of their pets. 

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

You know, if people filming from home are going to have stuff going on behind them,  at least make it worth it. Like dragging something that looks like a body or a stampede of their pets. 

There have been reports of pants-less spouses photobombing a broadcast. And then there was the news anchor in Spain (I think) who had a naked woman walk through the background—and she wasn’t his wife. 

• LOL 8
8 hours ago, BookWitch said:

Right.

From a news report I heard a couple of days ago, the Supreme Court was meeting remotely and we could all listen in (which is awesome) and someone heard a toilet flushing 🤣. It makes me relate to all these people even more. However there are a lot of aging prostrates there 🙀.

But if you or both of you are working from home, figuring out the dynamics takes time. However, if you are in broadcast journalism - you may want to think a few steps ahead.

8 hours ago, topanga said:

There have been reports of pants-less spouses photobombing a broadcast. And then there was the news anchor in Spain (I think) who had a naked woman walk through the background—and she wasn’t his wife. 

Now it want to see that.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GaT said:

My goodness.  I deep dove a bit and this whole thing is crazy.  Spain was on a serious lockdown but the reporter and his girlfriend (a contestant on Big Brother) went on a "break" and she left his apartment.  Within four days, he brings in this other girl (a reporter) and she gets caught naked on camera.  Quite a quarantine no no.  She lets it slip they had been seeing each other for three weeks (pre-breakup and mid-quarantine).  And now, another Big Brother contestant (not sure if it's the same season as the reporter's girlfriend) has announced his split with a singer and that he's now involved with the naked woman. I guess they had also been dating.

These people are getting more quarantine action than I have gotten in the past year.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Spain was on a serious lockdown but the reporter and his girlfriend (a contestant on Big Brother) went on a "break" and she left his apartment. 

*Insert "Friends" reference here*  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

*Insert "Friends" reference here*  

In all sort of metaness, I believe the reporter DID make a Friends reference in one of the articles I read.  Or his girlfriend did.

• LOL 4
32 minutes ago, Oosala said:

Oh my fecking god.  Bill Cosby, the serial rapist, actually said this line on his show????  I AM STUNNED.

Said what line? The posts you quoted don't seem to have a line of dialogue in them.

• Love 1

I remember an early season episode of That 70's Show where Donna is talking to Eric in the driveway. She has her hair in braided pigtails. Magically one braid moves from laying on her chest like the other to her back without any kind of indication she moved it.

Edited by methodwriter85

Just happened to catch an episode of Quantum Leap in which Sam leaps into a blind pianist who is playing a concert in NYC.

The episode states it takes place on February 6, 1964 (the Beatles were in town for Ed Sullivan).  However, when we get a shot of the NY skyline, we see the late lamented Twin Towers!  They hadn't been built yet (although it was in the planning stages in '64) and wouldn't open until 9 years later!  Big boo boo on the editor's part.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

So Decades ran seasons two and three of Riptide this weekend and I so sat down and watched it (Shuddup! Don't Judge Me!).

I noticed in Season Two's "Prisoner of War", when Cody got beat up, along with Murray, that it was his right arm that was injured. In the next scene, when they are visiting the VA and learn about the many nurses who also suffered PTSD (Vietnam), that the cast/sling was on Cody's LEFT arm. The very next scene, when they're headed back to his car, the cast/sling is BACK on the right arm! Yeesh! And they didn't catch that while filming or reviewing the dailies?

Another thing I remember from Murder, She Wrote when they had Magnum appear. The murder was SOLVED. They got the guy that killed whoever it was. But then the episode "continued" on Magnum, and they totally changed it and had Magnum arrested for killing the guy, when he didn't. I don't know what they were thinking.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So Decades ran seasons two and three of Riptide this weekend and I so sat down and watched it (Shuddup! Don't Judge Me!).

Nothing to be ashamed of!  My Dad and I used to watch the whole NBC Tuesday night block together with a big bowl of popcorn!  Riptide was a likeable show with a likeable cast.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Another thing I remember from Murder, She Wrote when they had Magnum appear. The murder was SOLVED. They got the guy that killed whoever it was. But then the episode "continued" on Magnum, and they totally changed it and had Magnum arrested for killing the guy, when he didn't. I don't know what they were thinking.

Sounds like they weren't paying attention to the balance of storylines.  I remember this and it was a bit of a gimmick to have Magnum, PI, Murder She Wrote and Simon & Simon all participating in an overall mystery.   It' s also possible that for syndication reasons, an alternate ending was filmed.  This happened with the Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley crossover when they all meet up at the lake and Fonzi and Richie were being forced to marry a Swedish farmer's daughters.  In the original presentation, L&S followed HD and when Richie runs to get help, he ends up meeting the girls and they have a raucous square dance with other girls (who play rough) and ultimately get Fonzi and Richie off the hook.  In syndication, Richie is running like a maniac, then passes his dad who was fishing.  Then Fonzi shows up claiming everything is OK and that he convinced the farmer that Ralph and Potsie would marry his daughters.

The end.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, magicdog said:

Nothing to be ashamed of!  My Dad and I used to watch the whole NBC Tuesday night block together with a big bowl of popcorn!  Riptide was a likeable show with a likeable cast.

It really was! Sadly only Joe Penny had another hit show after Riptide ended. Jake & The Fatman. I remember when William Conrad appeared as “The Fatman” on Matlock, and Penny was the mafia goon. And a year after that, he was cast as Jake!

Another thing that BUGS-near the end of season two, we hear and are told that Cody is 33; but in the third season premiere, he’s suddenly aged four years and is 37!? For PLOT! because he just had to be 17 in 1964, instead of the 12 he would have been based on canon, because Richard Hatch payed some kind of pop star on the level of the Awesome Beach Boys.

And I guess this should go in the Unpopular thread, but I hate that Perry King (another exception to not liking ‘staches-Tom Selleck is the other) went on to play villains after Riptide ended. And he was clearly the “Star” based on the episodes that focused on him.

Sigh.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

I know, I know, Pilot! But I found Riptide on some streaming service last night, and Cody CLEARLY says he’s “turning 30” but in two years, he ages 7 YEARS?! I’m assuming Nick is the same age, he ages 4 years in one year? Nick mentioned being 34 in season two.

• Love 1
On 5/29/2019 at 4:11 AM, catlover79 said:

Last month I went to an Indians game, and between innings the weekly weather forecast was beamed up on the scoreboard. It looked fine except for one teeny, tiny flaw...

weatherfail.jpg

Reminds me of the time that Arizona experienced unusually hotter than normal temperatures, if that was ever possible. The weatherman's report was pretty grim:

• LOL 17
24 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I love how he just runs with it.

"I think steel boils at this temperature."

That's one for the resume reel; he handled it perfectly.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

"I think steel boils at this temperature."

That's one for the resume reel; he handled it perfectly.

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I love how he just runs with it.

I know. Zero hesitation, complete composure and he acted like it was entirely real. A bang up job all around.

Cory McCloskey is the weatherman's name, and, according to Instagram, he does standup comedy too in the Phoenix area. I'd say he definitely has the chops for it, so I'm not surprised.

• Applause 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7
(edited)

OMG that was so funny! That guy handled it so well...some fact checker there is probably looking for a new job! Does anyone know if it was real or just a joke/comedy routine?? All I can say is I really needed that laugh!!

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

OMG that was so funny! That guy handled it so well...some fact checker there is probably looking for a new job!

Cory McCloskey said a technical glitch led to the temperature readings coming out the way that they did. What kind of glitch I don't know- perhaps the weather sensors got fried because I imagine the Arizona heat loves wrecking havoc with the electronics there.

I think the great part about all this was that everyone- even FOX10- had some fun with it and just rolled with it. The station even proudly posted the video to commemorate the job McCloskey did at handling the situation. Something like this is, quite understandably, embarrassing for the station, which they could have decided to react negatively to with everyone playing the "blame game" and making a real mess of the situation.

Instead, FOX10 and McCloskey took the high road, because mistakes just happen. I'm assuming they fixed the error because I haven't heard of the Phoenix area suffering from literal Hell-ish temperatures since then.

Then again, I don't know...I'm sure the people of Cave Creek, after they've rebuilt their homes, will tell me they've sure had a few days that felt just as hot- if not hotter- than the 2960F they reached on that fateful day.

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Does anyone know if it was real or just a joke/comedy routine?? All I can say is I really needed that laugh!!

I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but the TV station this occured on- FOX10 in Phoenix- acknowledged the mishap themselves and the YouTube video I shared comes from the station's official account. Plus, major news outlets like CNN and Canada's CTV also report on the story.

So I'm absolutely certain it was real.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I'm wondering if there is anyone who was in the Phoenix area at the time of that broadcast  (late January 2015) who saw that report in real time. I would imagine those readings would be quite the things to witness.

• Love 3

I saw a total blooper last night on a PBS cooking show called "How she rolls" about a woman who has a dinner roll business.  She goes to visit her aunt to learn how to make her famous oyster pie.  The aunt makes the thing, puts it in a white rectangular  CorningWare (with the little blue design) casserole dish and puts that in the oven to bake.  They go away to wait, the alarm goes off, and they return to take from the same oven a round clear glass casserole dish filled with the pie.  Did production think no one would notice?

• Wink 1
  • LOL 7
On 7/8/2022 at 1:22 AM, Danielg342 said:

Reminds me of the time that Arizona experienced unusually hotter than normal temperatures, if that was ever possible. The weatherman's report was pretty grim:

Since this got a lot of traction, I'm happy to report that, two years ago, the same station- and the same weatherman- had a sequel:

• LOL 6